• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Tips and Tricks

LordCBH

No shit, you can only rest in beds.
The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Solarstrike

Gold Member
i dont understand which mission to do first... i got so many side missions..does it matter in which order i do them?

Look at your Missions tab, you'll see the descriptors. There is a main quest line and it branches out through higher and higher tiered zones/planets. Side quests you can do at any time. Remember to use Skill points as you level as more options/abilities to the game will unlock. It's easy to forget to do that with this game. I also recommend the Starfield Wiki. While there are quite a few guides out there, that one I found simplest to understand. Until a proper Official Starfield Strategy Guide releases, of course:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Apologies for double post. Quick tip for this thread/forum. Look at these symbols
B7EKAYp.jpg
tic the "List" tab (circled in blue) to create a list, then tic "unordered list for you tips to appear as:
  • Here's a tip
  • Aliens are real
  • Everyone gather 'round the campfire
  • Oh look, a shooting star

With a controller it works the same by holding A to pick objects up.

You can rotate it with the triggers, and switch between the 3 rotation axis with a click on the left stick.

You can throw objects (and corpses) by pressing X, the longer you hold the stronger the throw.

Useful to throw some explosive barrels near ennemies.
Any idea on how to change the rotation axis on PC, haven't managed to figure it out yet.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How does one create more cargo space on a ship ? I had 450 for starter ship but the new one I bought only has 200.
Go to ship menu
X I think to modify ship
Move cursor off ship into blank space and hit A
Menu of additions pops up. Select Cargo tab
Now the longer portion of figuring out where to fit it. Weight. Do a flight check with start button.

I just added a large engineering bay, 2 cargo extensions and 2 additional engines. Took about 45 min tinkering.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Go to ship menu
X I think to modify ship
Move cursor off ship into blank space and hit A
Menu of additions pops up. Select Cargo tab
Now the longer portion of figuring out where to fit it. Weight. Do a flight check with start button.

I just added a large engineering bay, 2 cargo extensions and 2 additional engines. Took about 45 min tinkering.

Thank you. I was confused that I couldn’t take some of the upgrades from my first ship to apply to my second ship. Didn’t realize I can just add what I do have for this new ship.

I assume cargo hold addition also cost money ? Can’t wait to customize it a bit. It’s a HUGE ship already and was surprised it only had a 200 cargo hold.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thank you. I was confused that I couldn’t take some of the upgrades from my first ship to apply to my second ship. Didn’t realize I can just add what I do have for this new ship.

I assume cargo hold addition also cost money ? Can’t wait to customize it a bit. It’s a HUGE ship already and was surprised it only had a 200 cargo hold.
They're cheap add ons. The more important thing is each thing you add has to fit with the weight requirements for your engines, and your available slots etc. Its a lot of fun to tinker with. I did one major revision so far. Didnt get it perfect but doubled cargo space and engine capacity.

I read another tip online: Stolen goods and contraband are not the same thing.

-If you get scanned and have stolen goods, it will not set off any alarms. You can travel with the goods anywhere.

-If you have only have contraband and it is detected on a scan, you will get boarded and end up losing your contraband.

-If you have contraband and stolen goods, you will get boarded and end up losing both.

mitchman

Gold Member
There are free ships to be had in the game, and at least 2 of them are awesome and can be had early game.

TheZink

-If you get scanned and have stolen goods, it will not set off any alarms. You can travel with the goods anywhere.

-If you have only have contraband and it is detected on a scan, you will get boarded and end up losing your contraband.

-If you have contraband and stolen goods, you will get boarded and end up losing both.
If you do get caught with contraband it can open up a very cool mission. That’s all I’ll say.

GymWolf

If you find any gear with the active camo mod you can literally steal an entire shop right in front of the owner 🤣🤣
So we can say that active camo is the new "blind the owner with a vase on his head"

Btw small trick that probably everyone knows by now, if you open the scanner in a city you can fast travel into your ship or change zone by clicking to the various icons in mid-air.

Last edited:

TonyK

(Pasted from the Early Access thread)
I imagine everyone knows but I just discovered it and I share it just in case:

- If you hold START button it opens the map directly .
- If you hold A button for 2/3 seconds, you can move objects and corpses. And with triggers you can rotate them.

moowear

Thanks for all these nuggets!

Anyone know if you're able to offload resources to your homebase and if it'll automatically pull from there if you need them on the field or do you need them in your ship for setting up outposts, researching items, etc.
Also, anyone know how to put your dukes up when you want to go hand to hand in combat? I don't mean just using the butt of your weapon but actually punching. I'm realized you can put away/holster your weapon but can't seem to figure out how to punch.

boostron

Neo Member
For pseudo 60fps I guess, I turned on Trumotion (Natural) on my LG GX. Works great, although there are some side effects and not for everyone. I did the same with Zelda TOTK.
Thought I would share for the Xbox SX users.

naguanatak

For pseudo 60fps I guess, I turned on Trumotion (Natural) on my LG GX. Works great, although there are some side effects and not for everyone. I did the same with Zelda TOTK.
Thought I would share for the Xbox SX users.
How is the input lag with that setting? Have something similar on my Sony, but never tested it in games, will have to try in the next session how it works/affects the feeling

boostron

Neo Member
How is the input lag with that setting? Have something similar on my Sony, but never tested it in games, will have to try in the next session how it works/affects the feeling
I haven't noticed. I was worried prior to changing the setting, but honestly seems fine. Only thing is the reticule can distort a little when turning, but happy to take that with the smoothness.

Robb

Gold Member
I have a great tip:
- read through this thread

Looking forward to jumping in knowing all this stuff.

Ammogeddon

Is there a way to directly consume items you come across in the world rather than pick it up and go through the menus?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
You can equip different weapons, armours etc. to your companions, just speak with them and when you are in their inventory page, click y or triangle to equip different things on them.
And don't forget to give them a bit of ammo or they can't use that weapon.

I took all of Vasco's laser ammo and he had to fight by "hands" 😂
I then gave him back 5 ammo and he used his lasers again.

Looks like companions have infinite ammo but need them to use their weapons.

GymWolf

And don't forget to give them a bit of ammo or they can't use that weapon.

I took all of Vasco's laser ammo and he had to fight by "hands" 😂
I then gave him back 5 ammo and he used his lasers again.

Looks like companions have infinite ammo but need them to use their weapons.
So i can give them one single ammo and they are gonna coast the entire game with that?

Saw this mentioned about lockpicking and I thought it would help everyone here:

Look at this picture I found online:

maxresdefault.jpg

Notice that the circles have colors. Blue and Gray. Depending on which pick you select, it will highlight the corresponding circles to show that it may apply to them. A gray color means that the pick doesn't work with that specific circle. Therefore, you don't have to waste time wondering if it will work with the gray circles. If all circles are gray, you can skip that pick entirely.

Be careful though for all blues, because that means it can apply to multiple. So you should focus on the ones that have more gray than blue. Having only one blue circle means that's the first one you should focus on figuring out.

TheUsual

Gold Member

I disabled a ship, boarded it, took command, but didn't realize it had contraband. When I got to UC space, I got arrested 🫠

It then also started a new quest line

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I disabled a ship, boarded it, took command, but didn't realize it had contraband. When I got to UC space, I got arrested 🫠

I got arrested for shooting the crazy Russian sounding guy to get an artifact out of his collection Lol. Then I declined to help and now sys def hates me. I have not joined a faction yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Quoting myself from the OT

PS.

Someone gave this advice earlier and I am gonna echo this.

It's very tempting to just use the map menu to fast travel point to point and reach the mission planet directly.

But it is 100% worth it doing the take off animation and using the grav-shift to travel to different galaxies while in space, because that's how you'll open up the random encounters, space fights, weird space oddities etc.

Using fast travel via the maps will skip most of that.

For me that happened when I 'acquired' a pirate ship after killing all of its crew on a random planet, tried to go back to New Atlantis to switch back to my main ship and got nicked by the coppers lol.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Anyone got tips for surveying planet? I am lacking a resource or two but i cant them

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Damn i didnt know it has a quest line

I sneak on board a ship while the spacers were not looking. Took off with the ship and got caught with contraband.

Reloaded my save immediately and toss the contraband to steal the ship again

Top Bottom