• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield data mined shows that it does not have DLSS or XeSS

amigastar

99sBxKv.jpg
But for Game Pass version also?

willothedog

It is if they forbid implementing tech from other companies.
Which is the case with Amid Evil that I was talking about.

You do know Nvidia gave other companies an open-source tool to help implement all 3 upscalers in games. Intel was onboard whereas AMD...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
data mined?
did somehow opened a folder with the game, didn't found dlss.dll and say they data mined?
well I am a fkn hacker then

Have ever accessed the information in your preload folder without doing some datamining?

Buggy Loop

Good. Don't need that Nvidia bs tech blurring my ship up anyway. If Nvidia had their way they'd bean count charge everyone for Anisotropic Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, G-Sync. Want DLSS 6.0? That'll be $14.99 a month. Need Ambient Occlusion? Subscribe to the Gold+ Standard Premium Diamond Version for $4.99 a month, fu Jensen

Is this satire? I can’t tell.

Someone’s gonna be rich on some dev’s dumb decisions, incredible.

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsoft is too small and poor, they needed the amd deal money.

I'm not even mad.

AMD’s buying copies of Standard and Premium Starfield to bundle with their CPUs and GPUs.

Not many publishers will turn that deal down.

Bethesda should really have insisted on being upscaler agnostic, though.

Dreathlock

You think Starfield is gonna flop because it doesnt have official DLSS support but a mod is already ready for people who desperately need DLSS?

1M92C8v.gif
It‘s not gonna flop but people will make sure to give them the appropiate reviews on steam. I hope they got a big money bag from AMD because the incoming shitstorm will be massive.

And on top of that people myself included will make sure to avoid any AMD products in the future. I have a ryzen cpu but the next one will be intel. Their GPUs are total garbage anyway.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

It‘s not gonna flop but people will make sure to give them the appropiate reviews on steam. I hope they got a big money bag from AMD because the incoming shitstorm will be massive.

And on top of that people myself included will make sure to avoid any AMD products in the future. I have a ryzen cpu but the next one will be intel. Their GPUs are total garbage anyway.
AMD bought probably hundreds of thousands of keys for Starfield to give away with their CPUs and GPUs.
The "backlash" from not including DLSS will be minimal, dont be fooled by internet outrage, most people dont actually care.

Starfield_Mobile.webp

AMD-STARFIELD.jpg

P.S Unless Intels new architecture is really outta this world and the increased cache rumors are real, the 15th and 16th gen Intel will still not hold a candle in gaming builds to AMDs Ryzen X3D CPUs.
They GPUs well, I think AMD have all but given up there, even Intel is looking like a more promising prospect.

X-Wing

I think the fact that FSR is open source while DLSS is proprietary and exclusive to Nvidia GPUs can explain why you see more games supporting FSR than DLSS.

Ginzeen

Banned

Their will be no shit storm.

Ev1L AuRoN

Why do you need DLSS if you have a high end PC?.
I think people forget that the whole point of these upscalers is to help people with mid and low end systems.
4k native is not that trivial even to high-end. DLSS also has better AA than native and resolve fine detail better. Also the extra fps helps. Specially for those who will play on a 4k120 display.

draliko

The majority of the people will not care what upscaler is used, pcmr will cry a bit and in the end mod it or get over it, in the grand scheme of things this is a nothing burger, still upscaler wars are stupid and games should be agnostic on which tech to use..m but upscalers quality will be fundamental going forward in the GPU market and they will fight for that market exposure

Codeblew

I think the fact that FSR is open source while DLSS is proprietary and exclusive to Nvidia GPUs can explain why you see more games supporting FSR than DLSS.
I don't see why people don't see this. Plus, code/test just one (FSR) that works on all GFX cards or code/test two, one of which only works for Nvidia.

Also, if XBOX or PS is the lead platform, they will be using FSR. Then cheap PC port from there.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I don't see why people don't see this. Plus, code/test just one (FSR) that works on all GFX cards or test two, one of which only works for Nvidia.

Also, if XBOX or PS is the lead platform, they will be using FSR. Then cheap PC port from there.
XeSS is also open source and GPU agnostic....so why is it missing?

But that is irrelevent because Nvidia Streamline is open source and Intel signed to join the initiative AMD did not (thats why they are just called Hardware Vendor #3 frikken losers), so implementing DLSS and XeSS is as the name suggests a Streamline process.
It has nothing to do with whether a technique is open source or not, they all use similar inputs if you expose those inputs with one technique, then the other techniques can use those same inputs.

Streamline_Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Codeblew

XeSS is also open source and GPU agnostic....so why is it missing?

But that is irrelevent because Nvidia Streamline is open source and Intel signed to join the initiative AMD did not (thats why they are just called Hardware Vendor #3 frikken losers), so implementing DLSS and XeSS is as the name suggests a Streamline process.
It has nothing to do with whether a technique is open source or not, they all use similar inputs if you expose those inputs with one technique, then the other techniques can use those same inputs.

Streamline_Diagram.jpg
1. Consoles use AMD so why would they care to use XeSS.
2. AMD has more GFX cards on the market than Intel.

I know next to nothing about XeSS but I am glad it is open source and would works on all GFX cards unlike DLSS.

Also, if you are using FSR, no need to include Xess (assuming similary quality). Same logic goes in reverse as well.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Who cares, 20 years ago we had just as much fun with games that looked like utter crap. Gameplay is king and this will rule them all
20 years ago games didn’t look like crap because we didn’t have anything else to compare them too like we have today. Those games looked amazing for their time.

Black_Stride

I know next to nothing about XeSS but I am glad it is open source and would works on all GFX cards unlike DLSS.

Also, if you are using FSR, no need to include Xess (assuming similary quality). Same logic goes in reverse as well.

XeSS has much better quality than FSR, is open source and is vendor agnostic.

Overall GPU market share Intel actually trumps AMD:
MW_Q322_PR_01.png

If you want to separate dGPUs and iGPUs then AMD has a ~4% advantage in dGPUs and gets absolutely demolished in iGPUs.

1669311521819-png.271534

What the consoles use is of no relevance because this is a PC release, unless you think developers also only optimize for AMD CPUs?
With Streamline its not asking much to put DLSS and XeSS, you arent even interrupting your pipeline because Streamline also supports FSR so just implement all of them in one fell swoop.

Three

I still don't understand the need for Microsoft/Bethesda to do this. It's beyond annoying and I really think folks should wait and see performance and bugs status of the game at release.

Going to wait until DLSS mods hit and get reviewed. It's annoying as hell.
It's probably some deal to appease AMD and make development easier at the same time. Their console is AMD so why not support FSR and at the same time it probably gives them some leverage with AMD that simple console orders don't.

Buggy Loop

opEN sOUrcE!

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Tell me why should I care as a gamer. Please do.

AMD’s being blasted for security flaws and you want to showcase the code?

Do you really think that devs that can barely port to PC, get their game fixed by SCRIPT KIDDIES, would even look into how these works? Of course not. They apply the SDK or enable the plugin in the engines that support it. They might even ask for help to implement it ffs.

Where are the FSR variants then? That’s the whole point of open source, there should be a tree of variants made by other peoples who tweaked it.

You make DLSS open source (remember it was leaked), ok then what? You really think anyone understands the black box without what happened in the ML database at Nvidia servers? Does it even work outside tensor cores?

Open source has never worked for ATI nor is it making strides for AMD, not when your version is a poor man’s attempt at it and even Intel entering the business does better first iteration.

yamaci17

then maybe AMD should make an actual attempt and at least match XeSS. They can't even do that. That's the problem

xess roflstomps fsr 2/2.1/2.2 in every game I tried. literal ROFLSTOMP. not even a competition. FSR simply doesn't work. it is the whackiest most blatantly made upscaler I've ever seen. It almost feels like AMD dumbly sacrifices huge amounts of graphical potential for a mere %1-2 performance bump over other upscalers.

even imsomniac's temporal injection and santa monica's no name upscaler is much much better than FSR 2. this is why I agree with rofif rofif actually. even some 3rd party devs have better internal upscalers. TSR also destroys whatever FSR has in store.

FSR should not be standardized or used across games on console also. xbox should at least invest into a special upscaler of their own that can at least match xess. I hope at least PS 1st party studios keep using their own solution.

amd wants to win popularity contests. it probably boosts their ego that fsr 2 gives a bit more higher averages than dlss/xess in games. so they will never optimize it for it to be better quality.

xess only runs %2 worse maybe but looks miles better. amd is literally that dumb. they sacrifice huge amounts of image stability, let tons of artifacts and fizzling just to get a %2-3 minor performance bump. this is who they are.

they couldn't even muster a reflex alternative yet some people somehow believe they will somehow procur a decent dlss 3 alternatiev in fsr 3. watch AMD fans defend fsr 3's input lag by saying some random console game runs with 100 ms input lag at 60 fps but fsr 3 has 70 ms input lag at interpolated 60 FPS.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

opEN sOUrcE!

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Tell me why should I care as a gamer. Please do.

AMD’s being blasted for security flaws and you want to showcase the code?

Do you really think that devs that can barely port to PC, get their game fixed by SCRIPT KIDDIES, would even look into how these works? Of course not. They apply the SDK or enable the plugin in the engines that support it. They might even ask for help to implement it ffs.

Where are the FSR variants then? That’s the whole point of open source, there should be a tree of variants made by other peoples who tweaked it.

You make DLSS open source (remember it was leaked), ok then what? You really think anyone understands the black box without what happened in the ML database at Nvidia servers? Does it even work outside tensor cores?

Open source has never worked for ATI nor is it making strides for AMD, not when your version is a poor man’s attempt at it and even Intel entering the business does better first iteration.
I don't know how the tensor cores accelerate DLSS but if it's just lower precision operations, I'm sure RDNA2 could do it but it would probably take more shaders to do so since AMD doesn't have separate silicon to speed up the operation.

xess roflstomps fsr 2/2.1/2.2 in every game I tried. literal ROFLSTOMP. not even a competition. FSR simply doesn't work. it is the whackiest most blatantly made upscaler I've ever seen. It almost feels like AMD dumbly sacrifices huge amounts of graphical potential for a mere %1-2 performance bump over other upscalers.

even imsomniac's temporal injection and santa monica's no name upscaler is much much better than FSR 2. this is why I agree with rofif rofif actually. even some 3rd party devs have better internal upscalers. TSR also destroys whatever FSR has in store.
Hyperbole much? Xess looks terrible in Spiderman and Death stranding compared to FSR.

Stuart360

How are you constantly wrong?
DLSS and FSR render games at lower resolution, then upscale them with minimal loss in clarity compared to simply lowering the resolution in the settings. This helps save on system resources.
I'd love to know how i'm wrong about that.

Last edited:

sendit

DLSS and FSR render games at lower resolution, then upscale them with minimal loss in clarity compared to simply lowering the resolution in the settings. This helps save on system resources.
I'd love to know how i'm wrong about that.
Did you not read what you posted?

Upscaling tech is not just for people with mid to low end PCs.

Stuart360

Did you not read what you posted?

Upscaling tech is not just for people with mid to low end PCs.
Its not JUST for them, anyone can use it, but obviously something that saves on resources, considerably so depending on settings, will obviously be more desirable for people on mid and lower end systems than people on a high end system.

I don't know how the tensor cores accelerate DLSS but if it's just lower precision operations, I'm sure RDNA2 could do it but it would probably take more shaders to do so since AMD doesn't have separate silicon to speed up the operation.
The tensor cores literally run neural networks, it's what tensor cores are for. DLSS is an AI based upscaling method, that's why it's superior to the algorithm based FSR.

Top Bottom