• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 dev: We've designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS)

Juza

rkt7wjwtqzdb1.jpg

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
90fps at Ultra settings on a 3080? That's interesting. At the Tower of Unseen and the next area I went to it dropped to below 80 quite a bit. It even drops below 60 in crowded areas (when turning settings to Ultra and Quality DLSS and 1440p).

With high settings, shadows dropped to medium and DLSS on balanced I can get over 90, no problem. Still looks really good too.

The rest of my rig is more than up to the task as well. I’ve got a 12700K, 32GB and it’s installed on a S850x NVME. So unless you’ve got something else going on or a better GPU disguised as a 3080, I call bullshit on you reaching those frames at those settings in an actual gameplay scenario, not just staring at a wall in an empty room.

Did you update drivers ? That had a huge impact on fps for me.

I also launched it out of GeForce optimized settings instead of steam naturally.

I am now able to do 4k60 ultra settings. Couple dips here and there into like 54fps.

Not bsing you. Not sure what is causing such varying performance results. Just seeing if you can replicate what I did to garner same net gain.

Did you update drivers ? That had a huge impact on fps for me.

I also launched it out of GeForce optimized settings instead of steam naturally.

I am now able to do 4k60 ultra settings. Couple dips here and there into like 54fps.

Not bsing you. Not sure what is causing such varying performance results. Just seeing if you can replicate what I did to garner same net gain.
Ah I haven’t downloaded drivers so I’ll check that out tonight, although I only downloaded drivers a week or so ago.

4K at 54fps? Come on man, I think your GPU has been mislabelled or something lol.

Killer8

It's easy to dismiss the game because on the surface it just looks like your typical AA budget UE4 title. However the Nanite videos i've seen have been very impressive. There is basically no LOD pop-in in this game. If you think about how brute force LOD mods in games typically tank performance, and this is going above and beyond that out of the box, it goes some way to justify the performance. The performance is also fairly good with some form of upscaling enabled and they've done the wise thing to support all of the different vendors' techniques (DLSS, XeSS and FSR). There is basically no reason not to use it and it often looks better than native. No shader compilation stutter thanks to using the new PSO caching tech is also worth its weight in gold.

Kenpachii

It's easy to dismiss the game because on the surface it just looks like your typical AA budget UE4 title. However the Nanite videos i've seen have been very impressive. There is basically no LOD pop-in in this game. If you think about how brute force LOD mods in games typically tank performance, and this is going above and beyond that out of the box, it goes some way to justify the performance. The performance is also fairly good with some form of upscaling enabled and they've done the wise thing to support all of the different vendors' techniques (DLSS, XeSS and FSR). There is basically no reason not to use it and it often looks better than native. No shader compilation stutter thanks to using the new PSO caching tech is also worth its weight in gold.

UE finally fixed shader stutter? that's great.

mrqs

There's nothing more fascinating than upset PC Gamers.

They truly believe that they're a higher class, and every developer in the planet should optimise for their specific rig while also making the game performant on a hundred other rigs at the same time.

PC Gaming is bound to be chaotic. That's how it works. Not every dev has the resources or time to make it run smoothly. It's not because you have paid an enormous amount of money on a graphics card that it SHOULD run everything.

Kenpachii

Clearly got no clue in what PC gaming is.

There is nothing chaotic.

a nvidia or amd card is only x faster then the next or slower. U scale accordingly.

The devs here decided it was a good idea to set a 1700+ euro gpu as baseline for 4k and u can't even native render it at 60 fps while at it. DLSS only gets you so far, i would not call 80 fps smooth for a 1700 euro gpu.

Had they lowered the taxation by 2-3 times, nobody would complain.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

They truly believe that they're a higher class, and every developer in the planet should optimise for their specific rig while also making the game performant on a hundred other rigs at the same time.

PC Gaming is bound to be chaotic. That's how it works. Not every dev has the resources or time to make it run smoothly. It's not because you have paid an enormous amount of money on a graphics card that it SHOULD run everything.
Dude, WTF are you talking about and WTF does this have to do with this thread?

i dunno why the first sentence made me chuckle.

All that these reconstruction techniques allowed developers to do is to say "fuck optimising the game" and request that people would buy new GPU's that are supporting DLSS/XeSS and FSR.

It's actually hilarious. In a bad way.
This is exactly why I can't believe console gamers think Pro consoles are the answer. It'll be the same problem. The new hardware will encourage devs to push the goal posts out even further, all why fucking around on the performance.

I say do more with less.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Benchmarks from Techpowerup:

performance-2560-1440.png

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Alright, so, they weren't bullshitting. I don't even think they tested this game without upscaling.

In Daniel Owen's video, a 4090 running Ultra settings goes from 76fps at native 1440p to a whopping 125fps at 1440p/DLSS Quality, a massive 64% performance improvement. The gains of 1440p to 1440p/DLSS Quality are almost never that huge.

At 4K, the 4090 running Ultra settings goes from 41fps at native to 73fps using DLSS Quality, a ridiculous 78% performance uplift.

This behavior is seen across a range of cards such as the 2060, 3060, and 4060.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ah I haven’t downloaded drivers so I’ll check that out tonight, although I only downloaded drivers a week or so ago.

4K at 54fps? Come on man, I think your GPU has been mislabelled or something lol.

I shit you not. This includes the labyrinth area after the tutorial world.

Can launching from the GeForce app have any effect somehow ?

Updated drivers. I did turn shadows to high after seeing it has the highest increase in fps without effecting image quality . Rest is ultra . 4k. 3080. Dlss quality.

Over 60 fps 99% of the time. Couple combat scenarios brought me to 54. I’m not having any issues playing this game on my rig.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Alright, so, they weren't bullshitting. I don't even think they tested this game without upscaling.

In Daniel Owen's video, a 4090 running Ultra settings goes from 76fps at native 1440p to a whopping 125fps at 1440p/DLSS Quality, a massive 64% performance improvement. The gains of 1440p to 1440p/DLSS Quality are almost never that huge.

At 4K, the 4090 running Ultra settings goes from 41fps at native to 73fps using DLSS Quality, a ridiculous 78% performance uplift.

This behavior is seen across a range of cards such as the 2060, 3060, and 4060.
Is that DLSS 3 with frame gen or purely upscaling?

VN1X

Banned
I'm loving the game so far but this performance is truly appalling.

It literally dips to sub 40fps in scenes where it shouldn't even be struggling (such as a generic hallway without any enemies or moving elements). Hell, Warframe has similar visuals and runs at higher settings and resolutions while boasting a ton more enemies & effects on screen and still pushes 120fps or beyond.

UE5 might be a technical marvel but I'm beginning to think it's only that when it's being used by their own devs lol.

Filben

If it was a real looker, okay, sure, that's why the tech exists, to make real good looking games still playable or keep the FPS ultra high for high refresh rate monitors.

Apart from Nanite and some shadows (of which most lack any penumbra, though...) it is not really impressive.

There should be a graphics option that scale up the graphics to look totally bonkers and then adds upscaling to make it work.

I mean, I played Cyberpunk with every RT feature on at 3440x1440 and had to enable DLSS to make it playable and that is fine. But don't come around with an average or slightly-above-average-at-times looking game requiring upscaling to run at 60fps... on the most expensive consumer GPU.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The upscaling of this type was created to get you from 1440p to 4k while while acting as good taa.
But it fails if you go much lower. At least in motion
Especially fsr2. Games that it’s it often have much lower iq than ps4 games

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

This person still saving to buy a 1080ti. You can feel it on every sentence.

Jokes aside. The gains you get on this game with upscalers is huge. 60% and more performance. It was clearly made to take advantage of this feature set.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Looks great and feels good on my 2 year old pc (5950X, 3060 12GB).

1080p, DLSS quality, medium settings, unlocked framerate = 70-110fps

hyperbertha

« We’re lazy and don’t optimize »

These upscaling techniques were never made so that you can botch the native performance especially when it’s not a looker. First dev I hear mentioning this openly.
Optimization isn't magic. It's hard work and often times include sacrifices. Without upscaling, game would have cost more and taken longer to develop. There's both sides to this. I'm willing to bet dlss is the reason it released this early.

hyperbertha

All that these reconstruction techniques allowed developers to do is to say "fuck optimising the game" and request that people would buy new GPU's that are supporting DLSS/XeSS and FSR.

It's actually hilarious. In a bad way.
It's actually the only logical outcome. Cutting costs and dev time is the highest priority for them. Far more important than ensuring 4090 owners get to play at 240hz.

mrqs

This person still saving to buy a 1080ti. You can feel it on every sentence.
I was a "PC Gamer" for 10 years. I much prefer to play on my Series X/PS5/Switch these days, I think it's more conformable.

My post was a bit dramatic but it's because people who play on PC and have 3080s 4090s whine way too much.

Top Bottom