• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield data mined shows that it does not have DLSS or XeSS

Sleepwalker

FSR 3 will be better than all other methods combined.

Believe Baylor Bears GIF by Baylor University

sarcasm off.

I applied FSR3 to your GIF.

output-onlinegiftools.gif

I

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Not all of those games are sponsored. I'm referring to those that have signed a deal with either Nvidia or AMD.

As for the list of games that the FSR2 mod has stopped working for I am only aware of one.

How do you know what games have a deal signed with these companies?
The only ones we can know for sure are those that have bundles with hardware.
But most sponsorships are just a company sending some engineers to the studio to implement tech.

I'll give you an example I had today with Amid Evil. it got a new DLC that I was eager to play.
This game uses UE4.27, which has full support for the FSR2, XeSS1.2 and DLSS2 and 3 SDKs. Implementing it is very easy.
But the game only has support for DLSS2 and FSR1. Even TAAU is disabled and so is TAA Gen5.
I also tried the FSR2 mod. It doesn't work.
So for anyone without an RTX card there is no way to use a temporal upscaler. GTX, AMD and Intel owners have no option.
This game also got a big patch some time ago with RTX effects for shadows and reflections. And of course, it was also part of the RTX video ads on the nvidia site.
Can we be sure this is an nvidia sponsored game? Not for sure. But it's very likely.
Of course, this game is not as big as Starfield or Baldur's Gate 3. It's insignificant in comparison.
But it's just an example, of the kind of thing anyone that does not have an RTX card has to endure.

Dreathlock

Your evidence that NVidia is not blocking tech from other companies is that "they said so".
Seriously, you really think nvidia would never lie?
And AMD did respond, with one of those corporate talks that mean nothing.
It's obvious that all companies are doing it, even Intel, to a lesser degree.

They EXPLICITLY said that they don´t block shit in a public statement.

NVIDIA does not and will not block, restrict, discourage, or hinder developers from implementing competitor technologies in any way. We provide the support and tools for all game developers to easily integrate DLSS if they choose and even created NVIDIA Streamline to make it easier for game developers to add competitive technologies to their games.

— Keita Iida, vice president of developer relations, NVIDIA

jaydogg691

Y’all babies.

Pretty sure this game will run fine at native res you want to upscale to. Can’t hit the fps or res you want, adjust settings accordingly. :/

Zathalus

But most sponsorships are just a company sending some engineers to the studio to implement tech.

I'll give you an example I had today with Amid Evil. it got a new DLC that I was eager to play.
This game uses UE4.27, which has full support for the FSR2, XeSS1.2 and DLSS2 and 3 SDKs. Implementing it is very easy.
But the game only has support for DLSS2 and FSR1. Even TAAU is disabled and so is TAA Gen5.
So for anyone without an RTX card there is no way to use a temporal upscaler. GTX, AMD and Intel owners have no option.
This game also got a big patch some time ago with RTX effects for shadows and reflections. And of course, it was also part of the RTX video ads on the nvidia site.
Can we be sure this is an nvidia sponsored game? Not for sure. But it's very likely.
Of course, this game is not as big as Starfield or Baldur's Gate 3. It's insignificant in comparison.
But it's just an example, of the kind of thing anyone that does not have an RTX card has to endure.
For Amid Evil your beef should be with the developer:

The only reason that they implemented DLSS and RTX in the first place was due to assistance from Nvidia several years ago.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Series X is a platform where we have yet to see indipenden...

Actually, if you don't get the correlation between seeing gameplay on your preferred platform of choice and this surprising info dropping today, then I don't know what to tell you.
6iXSuB5.gif

Are you high my G?

AMD being the exclusive partner for the PC release of Starfield has nothing to do with Series X|S.
Bethesda havent implemented DLSS likely because of that exclusivity deal, not because the game is in trouble or whatever you mind is coming up with.
They implemented FSR2 which means their engine is already exposing all the inputs needed for DLSS, its not a technical limitation that they dont have DLSS.

P.S Surprise information?

^ This is from June

Three

Why would AMD block it, whats Starfield got to do with them (sorry if i'm missing some old news, havent really been following news).

Anyway modders will add it in for sure on PC. My 1080ti doesnt allows DLSS anyway.
AMD has a partnership for the game and the theory is that they have FSR exclusivity.

winjer

Gold Member
For Amid Evil your beef should be with the developer:

The only reason that they implemented DLSS and RTX in the first place was due to assistance from Nvidia several years ago.

Exactly, it was a sponsorship with nvidia.
But technically, there is no reason not to implement other upscalers. It's UE4, so it's a matter of minutes.
Still, the game only uses DLSS2. Even UE4's own temporal upscaler is disabled.

Black_Stride

Not even remotely.

Mods are weird on those windows store apps, I tried to mod the gamepass version of football manager and eventually gave up and got it on steam.

That's pretty much what I've heard, but didn't know for sure.

The game has to explicitly support mods otherwise its a chore to get mods to work.
Bethesda have already said Starfield will have mod support baked into it, so in this case its highly likely the level of support will be similar if not full for both.

The Microsoft Store unlocked mod support some time back (2019 - 2020) but the game has allow it.
With Steam releases you can inject mods pretty much regardless though of course some games you will have to play them online if they dont have explicit mod support they can flag your mods as cheats.

Majormaxxx

AMD’s ”no comments” earlier this year in all these questions could have been two things, that they support every upscalers and the community freaked out over nothing, or that AMD is really blocking the other upscalers..

Well unless there’s a day 1 patch 59 change that, the preload doesn’t have DLSS / XeSS

FSR here we go

puke GIF
I AM CANCELLING MY PREORDER!!!1!!

Hugare

Not worried at all

There are mods to add DLSS to Skyrim.

And since Bethesda is still using that same old engine, I bet that it will be easy to port it to Starfield

Still, shitty stuff from Bethesda/AMD (as usual)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Sending engineers to help implement support for some tech isn’t the same thing as making a deal to forbid supporting a competitor’s tech.

winjer

Gold Member
Sending engineers to help implement support for some tech isn’t the same thing as making a deal to forbid supporting a competitor’s tech.

It is if they forbid implementing tech from other companies.
Which is the case with Amid Evil that I was talking about.

Solidus_T

Not surprised at all - they have an AMD partnership and you can snag a cool 7900 XTX with Starfield designs. FSR really isn't that far behind DLSS, but it's still stupid that they don't offer all of the upscaling options.
Patching DLSS into a game is simple though - it will just mean that the menus now have artifacts due to it being patched by the community.

Sintoid

Don't worry, the game will be released at least another 4-5 times and someday DLSS will be implemented for sure

Buggy Loop

It is if they forbid implementing tech from other companies.
Which is the case with Amid Evil that I was talking about.

Unbelievable

You’re making incredible assumptions

Go ask the dev right away on steam, screenshot it and keep us updated.

mhirano

You are assuming they managed to implement FSR2 but failed to implement DLSS when both techs use the same inputs?

The chances of this being a technical limitation are next to zero.
What if the just reused the same ol Gamebrio but AMD sent engineers to implement FSR (due to the partnership)?

Buggy Loop

Yet, if it was the other way around, you would immediately claim AMD was blocking DLSS.

I skipped caring for many many ports that didn’t have DLSS, as seen in lists, it’s not the first happening, there’s many in the past, never made threads for those, maybe I mentioned it’s a crappy situation, but not some conspiration on blocking Nvidia.

AMD raised eyebrows and questions especially since Boundary dev ditched the ALREADY IMPLEMENTED RTX and DLSS after getting an AMD sponsorship and the now Starfield with AMD’s whole “no comment”

Shady as shit. Never seen the likes of that on Nvidia for upscalers, especially not like Boundary dev.

You’re even more cultist than AMD unboxed

What Is Wrong With You Season 2 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Black_Stride

What if the just reused the same ol Gamebrio but AMD sent engineers to implement FSR (due to the partnership)?

Then the engine is exposing everything needed to implement DLSS
FSR2 is open source

winjer

Gold Member
I skipped caring for many many ports that didn’t have DLSS, as seen in lists, it’s not the first happening, there’s many in the past, never made threads for those, maybe I mentioned it’s a crappy situation, but not some conspiration on blocking Nvidia.

AMD raised eyebrows and questions especially since Boundary dev ditched the ALREADY IMPLEMENTED RTX and DLSS after getting an AMD sponsorship and the now Starfield with AMD’s whole “no comment”

Shady as shit. Never seen the likes of that on Nvidia for upscalers, especially not like Boundary dev.

You’re even more cultist than AMD unboxed

I do believe that AMD is blocking other tech. I can't deny that.
What I'm saying is that NVidia is also doing it now.
And there are so many recent games that only have DLSS, it's obvious that nvidia is playing the same game.
But you are such a big nvidia fanboy, you deny the obvious.

Buggy Loop

I do believe that AMD is blocking other tech. I can't deny that.
What I'm saying is that NVidia is also doing it now.
And there are so many recent games that only have DLSS, it's obvious that nvidia is playing the same game.
But you are such a big nvidia fanboy, you deny the obvious.

Again

Nvidia comments they don’t block

You don’t believe it, fine

You even understand how many “journalists” would bust their collective nuts to find a single dev saying that Nvidia blocked FSR? You even realize the drama and the clicks?

Yet it’s not happening after all this time 🤔

To believe that Nvidia could lie, I can give you that, but that not a single dev denounces the situation? To not say the likes of Nvidia does it too?

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Again

Nvidia comments they don’t block

You don’t believe it, fine

You even understand how many “journalists” would bust their collective nuts to find a single dev saying that Nvidia blocked FSR? You even realize the drama and the clicks?

Yet it’s not happening after all this time 🤔

To believe that Nvidia could lie, I can give you that, but that not a single dev denounces the situation? To not say the likes of Nvidia does it too?

You choose to believe in nvidia, despite a long history of lies and manipulation.
That is your choice. But it's still just you you want to believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom