• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Will Be an Action RPG – Rumor

Alright

Banned
LOL Final Fantasy VII had the most boring and brain dead easy battle system of all time. Good riddance to that shit. You are lying to yourself.

Wow you sit there picking “attack” from a menu over and over until you win. Truly you have a superior intellect and attention span. The dudebros could never comprehend such strategy.
cool story bro.

Enjoy your action button spamfest that is action games.

Ohh wowz, see that leet 500 hit combo I got while hovering in the air for 2 minutes.

such immersion, much realism

lefty1117

Gold Member
booo!

lean into turn based I say. Make it more cinematic as the actions play out, over the top with different angles and all that, but keep the thoughtful tactical gameplay that made the original so excellent. there are plenty of other action oriented SW games FFS

VulcanRaven

This sounds great. I have always wanted a Star Wars game with big open worlds you can explore. I haven't played the original much.

Last edited:
While it sure was a looker, I wasn't terribly impressed with the FFVII Remake and coasted through it on a wave of nostalgia.
I imagine this will be much the same.

mrwhatever

Neo Member
Maybe I am crazy but kotor was real time with pause and not turn based right?

Also, the combat in kotor was the worst part of the game. Making it an action rpg but keeping everything else would be a massive improvement.
Yeah but usually those RTwP games has some type of pseudo-turn system, that's why most fans of this type of combat refuse to call it an ARPG while still being in real-time.

I don't mind it. To me it is just a really specific type of Action RPG combat, bc sure is not turn-based, but also is not a simple and direct ARPG combat.

kiphalfton

How can it be a remake if it’s an action RPG? That makes it a completely different game.

And here we go.

This is why FFXV combat got screwed up, because the devs wanted to appease the whiny turn-based crew.

You already got your game (I.e. the originals), so frig off

First rule if you make a remake: don't change the fundamentals. Sadly, some devs believe in the opposite...
What's the point of remaking it then.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How can it be a remake if it’s an action RPG? That makes it a completely different game.
It think the best they should claim is spiritual successor, and even that is a stretch. That said, I think it could be a fun game. They should have just said it was in the same time period using the same lore.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Turn-based RPG fans are the most fragile, whiny babies in gaming fandom. Any time an action RPG comes out they act like it’s a personal attack on them, and that it only got made because some imaginary gaming execs must believe that turn-based games are too old fashioned.

this despite the fact that there are still shitloads of turn based RPGs getting made, and they still get generous review scores.

MMaRsu

Banned
And here we go.

This is why FFXV combat got screwed up, because the devs wanted to appease the whiny turn-based crew.

You already got your game (I.e. the originals), so frig off

What's the point of remaking it then.
"Whiny turn based crew"

Holy shit who shat in your breakfast boi? Turn based games is what made a lot of genres and games. Shit still plenty of games used turn based today.

Cant get over your ADHD and gotta press buttons fast? Plenty of other games for you out there.

You probably wouldnt like this game anyway, too much text to read.

MMaRsu

Banned
Turn-based RPG fans are the most fragile, whiny babies in gaming fandom. Any time an action RPG comes out they act like it’s a personal attack on them, and that it only got made because some imaginary gaming execs must believe that turn-based games are too old fashioned.

this despite the fact that there are still shitloads of turn based RPGs getting made, and they still get generous review scores.
Says the whiny baby crying in a forum post about subjective opinions. Holy shit

kiphalfton

"Whiny turn based crew"

Holy shit who shat in your breakfast boi? Turn based games is what made a lot of genres and games. Shit still plenty of games used turn based today.

Cant get over your ADHD and gotta press buttons fast? Plenty of other games for you out there.

You probably wouldnt like this game anyway, too much text to read.

You're right, I should be more optimistic since the industry seems to be moving away from antiquated turn-based combat in favor of action oriented combat. And better yet I get to bask in turn-based fans having a fit over their beloved franchises making that transition. Say goodbye to turn-based combat in Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. It really is a bright future.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I Will Publicly Support It Barack Obama GIF by Obama

Still waiting for an example of good TBWP.

There are many. But if you simply don't like them then you'll just dismiss any example anyone suggests.

The flaw in your logic is that you consider your personal subjective judgement of the system as an objective measure. That's an especially egocentric fallacy.

Labadal

Action based is not a shocker. Hopefully, it will still use a party. Maybe they can have all companions participate in battles.

This remake was never going to use anything close to the old battle system.

ShinobiWan1

I wouldn't mind if they just continued the story of Revan, or something like that. Not remake it. But I'll probably get it, regardless lol

This is kind of irrelevant, but I roamed around the airport in Chicago with Mike Sass, the cover artist for Knights of the Old Republic. We were both coming back from IlluxCon in Pennsylvania, and he wanted to find something neat for his kids. So we walked all over the airport checking the gift shops

R.3129ecd983ba18b363eb319cc80a3c9f

Last edited:

Alpha Male

This game doesn't even exist does it? I mean wasn't it supposed to be announced at EA Play?

I'm confused at everyone speaking so matter of factly about a game that may not even be real.

Amiga

Fallen Order combat with expanded abilities (Force and non-force users) would be great. with a bit of Mass Effect shooting.

scratch all that, just give it to the Ascent guys and let them go to town, just imagine the world building they can do with the SW universe.

Tygeezy

I like good turn based combat, but have no problem with this change. Final Fantasy 7 remake was an excellent change that still kept the spirit of the original game. Hopefully something like that can be done to kotor.

MMaRsu

Banned
You're right, I should be more optimistic since the industry seems to be moving away from antiquated turn-based combat in favor of action oriented combat. And better yet I get to bask in turn-based fans having a fit over their beloved franchises making that transition. Say goodbye to turn-based combat in Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. It really is a bright future.

Lmao what a clown

im sure youd like Xcom to be a action strategy game as well

antiquated...the only thing antiquated is ur opinions

Last edited:
The problem I see with making it more actiony is that it seems when RPGs get more actiony, they also get more streamlined and less strategic. Dragon Age Origins has great real time semi turn based combat that also let you pause/switch characters/give orders. It’s a good balance of real time actions and strategy. Dragon Age 2 made the combat more actiony and for the 5 hours I played it it just seemed basic compared to Origins.

Final Fantasy XV is basic as shit and you can just hold dodge and spam warp. RPGs trying to be more action oriented seem to just have boring combat compared to actual action games, and less strategic gameplay than more traditional RPGs.
I guess maybe one could argue Souls, Monster Hunter and Dragon’s Dogma are RPGs with good pure action combat, but they’re not Story focused at all. I mean I’d love to see an RPG that manages to mix good Action Combat with the Strategy of controlling multiple party members and Story, but it seems like 1 of the three of those elements always ends up sidelined.

Also it’s just nice to have variety and not have every game try to follow the same style of combat as that gets stale. Sometimes I want to play a pure Character Action game like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, some times I want an Action RPG Like Dark Souls or the Witcher, and sometimes I want a party/turn based RPG like Final Fantasy/SWKoToR.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
You know as an avid kotor fan you'd think I'd be outraged by this? But nah. If you HAVE to do a remake, at least do something interesting and different. But I know I'm the minority in the eternal reboot/sequel age we got here. Hell if it were up to me, they'd just make a new kotor story and entry.

fatmarco

I don't really care if they change how the game plays, just as long as the story/ narrative and characters stay the same.

Top Bottom