• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Gameplay Reveal

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hope this main character grows on me, but I don’t think he will.

Starkiller grew on me with how well Witwer did with him. I honestly would rather of had Hayden Christiansen reprise his Manikin Skywalker role, and have a game based on him.

What doesn’t give me hope is how critical this actor was of doing this type of motion capture acting, and said he would never do it again at the teaser last month. Everyone isn’t cut out for type acting and vise versa. So it may lack “passion” that you’re used to getting from the industry vets like Nolan North, Troy Baker, etc., and feel “phoned in”, I hope not.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's just ok. Didn't find anything that looked really nice, and anything that I find that bad.

But this doesn't look good by Disney standards.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Gameinformer

Gameplay:

- Feeling quite "Souls" but much less punitive. In short, it will not be a healthy walk and you will have to learn to analyze the patterns, but you will not be dislocated in four moves as in "some games".
- The architecture is reminiscent of MetroidVania in a way and if the presentation was linear, Respawn promises freer zones and the possibility of returning to it once again with new capabilities in our hands to unlock secret corners. The team does not hesitate to use stocks like Metroid Prime and Bloodborne as examples.
- If there will be a "pause" function (fortunately for a solo game), it will not be applicable to the opening of the map that is displayed in real time from your droid's eyes.
- The map will show the points of interest and this will be the only way to display them since there will be no "big indicator" on the screen to show you where to go.
- 50% known planets (including Kashyyyyk), 50% unpublished.
- Each landing zone will be used to chat with your allies, rest and apply your skill points. The ship will offer other activities that have yet to be unveiled.
- Multiple chests will be hidden in the levels, offering you strength/health boosts and skill points.
- No automatic regeneration: you will have to use your droid to recover, using kinds of healing cartridges that work like Dark Souls vials: they regenerate at each backup point (or in your ship).
- And guess what? If you return your cartridges to a backup point... the enemies will reappear.
- Some chests will give you cosmetic elements, but in adequacy with the story. Yes, you can even modify your sword but, no, you cannot have a red sword.
- To get back to the Metroid Prime paw (or Mass Effect, whatever), we can scan a whole bunch of things to fill in a codex. There may be rewards for that.
- The bosses and underbosses will be sufficiently varied. There is no question of doing the clone trick with just one color or one different element (dedicated to Rage 2).
- The configuration of the buttons is made so that you can use the majority of the powers without having to constantly switch them in a submenu. For example, the same button will have two functions: pressing and holding will not give the same result.
- There will be armed vehicles.
- Just in case: confirmed photo mode.

Story & character:

- The story will begin on Bracca, a small world used by the Empire as a gigantic construction site where the Republic's ships are dismantled.
- Cal (the hero, then) was a Padawan at the time of the "clone war" and had to flee when Palpatine started Order 66.
- At the beginning of the game, Cal hides his identity on Bracca but will soon be discovered, before being able to contact the mysterious Cere, a former Jedi knight who wants to restore the Order, and who will therefore seek to complete the training of our young Padawan.
- Respawn doesn't want to say more but promises it: all questions about Cal's origins and past will be revealed during the game, without the need to wait for a possible follow-up.
- The main ship of the game, the "Stinger Mantis", was designed by Doug Chiang of LucasFilm.
- As seen in the presentation, Saw Gerrera will be in the cast of this adaptation, a character already seen in the Clone Wars saga but also the movie Rogue One (played by Forest Whitaker).

Screens:

14654620190608_215153_2_big.jpg
14654620190608_214958_1_big.jpg

14654620190608_215153_1_big.jpg
14654620190608_215153_0_big.jpg

Artworks:

14654620190608_214959_3_big.jpg
14654620190608_214958_0_big.jpg

14654620190608_214959_2_big.jpg
14654620190608_214959_4_big.jpg

14654620190608_214959_5_big.jpg
3i4oealz26331.jpg

Last edited:

PsyEd

Just way too generic for a 3p game and didn't sell it for me but I will get it when the price go down. The walk and run animation look weird....the gameplay seems mix of heavily borrowed elements from old Prince of Persia 2008 reboot mixed with The Surge's futuristic elements, some enemies from Castlevania:LoS(aka the spiders) and that stasis move from Dead Space.

I didn't see absolutely nothing new...hope it has some killer move star killer had in Force Unleashed series. The only thing that could've saved the game was MP. Hope the SP has the length and story to save it....or else it will be irrelevant very soon just like respawn's titan fall games. I'll get it in 2020 sale...and on PC....need to play it in true 4k.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me, only real issue I had was that the blaster bolts were moving weirdly slow. If they sped them up and cleaned up some of the animations it would look great.

Gameplay looks really fun, getting a faster paced Sekiro vibe from it, plus apparently there's a heavy Metroidvania / Dark Souls-esque exploration vibe throughout the game which I am completely there for.

Lol People saying oh wish we had Visceral SW game lol.

Visceral games are nowhere Respawn games in quality. Respawn never made a bad game. You guys get ready to eat crow.

From Medal of Honor to COD4 to TF2 and Apex. Nothing but quality from Respawn

There's not FPS game this gen which had story mode as good as TF2.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gameinformer

Gameplay:

- Feeling quite "Souls" but much less punitive. In short, it will not be a healthy walk and you will have to learn to analyze the patterns, but you will not be dislocated in four moves as in "some games".
- The architecture is reminiscent of MetroidVania in a way and if the presentation was linear, Respawn promises freer zones and the possibility of returning to it once again with new capabilities in our hands to unlock secret corners. The team does not hesitate to use stocks like Metroid Prime and Bloodborne as examples.
- If there will be a "pause" function (fortunately for a solo game), it will not be applicable to the opening of the map that is displayed in real time from your droid's eyes.
- The map will show the points of interest and this will be the only way to display them since there will be no "big indicator" on the screen to show you where to go.
- 50% known planets (including Kashyyyyk), 50% unpublished.
- Each landing zone will be used to chat with your allies, rest and apply your skill points. The ship will offer other activities that have yet to be unveiled.
- Multiple chests will be hidden in the levels, offering you strength/health boosts and skill points.
- No automatic regeneration: you will have to use your droid to recover, using kinds of healing cartridges that work like Dark Souls vials: they regenerate at each backup point (or in your ship).
- And guess what? If you return your cartridges to a backup point... the enemies will reappear.
- Some chests will give you cosmetic elements, but in adequacy with the story. Yes, you can even modify your sword but, no, you cannot have a red sword.
- To get back to the Metroid Prime paw (or Mass Effect, whatever), we can scan a whole bunch of things to fill in a codex. There may be rewards for that.
- The bosses and underbosses will be sufficiently varied. There is no question of doing the clone trick with just one color or one different element (dedicated to Rage 2).
- The configuration of the buttons is made so that you can use the majority of the powers without having to constantly switch them in a submenu. For example, the same button will have two functions: pressing and holding will not give the same result.
- There will be armed vehicles.
- Just in case: confirmed photo mode.

Story & character:

- The story will begin on Bracca, a small world used by the Empire as a gigantic construction site where the Republic's ships are dismantled.
- Cal (the hero, then) was a Padawan at the time of the "clone war" and had to flee when Palpatine started Order 66.
- At the beginning of the game, Cal hides his identity on Bracca but will soon be discovered, before being able to contact the mysterious Cere, a former Jedi knight who wants to restore the Order, and who will therefore seek to complete the training of our young Padawan.
- Respawn doesn't want to say more but promises it: all questions about Cal's origins and past will be revealed during the game, without the need to wait for a possible follow-up.
- The main ship of the game, the "Stinger Mantis", was designed by Doug Chiang of LucasFilm.
- As seen in the presentation, Saw Gerrera will be in the cast of this adaptation, a character already seen in the Clone Wars saga but also the movie Rogue One (played by Forest Whitaker).

OK this at least gives me hope this might just have been a case of a bad demo.
Most of those details sound great, shame we didn't get to see most of them in the gameplay reveal

Last edited:

Cranberrys

It looks good to me. I have waited long enough for a SW solo game with good production values and it seems to be the case here. I didn't like Force Unleashed, never played the second episode. I think the last SW game I really enjoy was KotOR 2.

Pallas

Looks decent, I like how they implement some wall running in the beginning. Kind of hoped they would save this for next-gen though and out more work into it and make it impressive graphically speaking.

So the Respawn talent went back to Infinity Ward and whoever was left behind is making Unsharted. What a bore lmao. I'll stick to Jedi Academy.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Is that Forest Whitaker?

Anyway, I only watched a little bit. Still interested, but I’m really over Uncharted gameplay clones at this point in time.

The animation is kind of wonky. And this game is coming out in a few months....Disney should just give Sony a chance to make a Star Wars Single player game.
Let's hope it never comes down to a matter of exclusivity with a franchise as beloved as Star Wars.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great to me. Love Star Wars and love Uncharted/Tomb Raider type games. Looks like a fun power trip as a Jedi. As long as the story is decent I’ll love it. I don’t care about challenge or complex combat etc. I’m into games for escapism these days.

Is there any possible hope for future Jedi Knight releases or remasters/remakes? I don’t know the specifics regarding who owns/is in control of that IP

Jedi Knight II is one of the greatest games ever, imo

Last edited:

dyergram

Looks ok still think 1313 looked better. It looked on rails and easy for the most part. Erm I guess Greg miller is t planning on reviewing it now?

Feel very conflicted about this.

It looks OK, if a bit easy. The graphics are OK, the game play looks OK. It's nice to see EA invest in single player games again but.... it's EA so I'm hesitant to give them any money and have a justified fear that they will fuck this game up or try to fuck me in some way. Respawn, why did you have to partner with EA?!

And just in general my love for Star Wars as a whole has taken a significant hit over the past 5 years. Both Disney and EA have tarnished Star Wars at this point. I don't have faith in either of them.

Solomeena

Banned
Super disappointing. Looks like cookie cutter action/adventure game. Just looks ordinary and unexciting to play. And all those light saber sponges...ugh.

Going to echo your sentiment exactly, this looks very cookie cutter and boring, jesus. Can EA ever make a decent Star Wars game?

As someone who absolutely loved Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, (they're two of my favorite Star Wars games ever made) this doesn't look to have near the buttery smooth gameplay that those two had.

Spin.gif

^Now that, gets me hyped as fuck.
I’ve never played these games, but this 3 second GIF looks a lot more fun than the gameplay shown in Jedi Fallen Order.

Solomeena

Banned
*shrug* I'm not super hyped for Fallen Order or anything, but think this looks better than 1313 ever did. I don't really like Uncharted-like games though.

You think Fallen Order looks better than this from SW:1313? You are nuts...

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
It looks great imo. Besides the graphics/environments looking really good, there’s also a lot of interesting enemy diversity and I like how you can scan things in the environment to get more information. The world building seems like it could be really cool, with the giant spiders attacking the stormtroopers in the middle of the battle or the purge trooper variations. I also like how thoughtful the combat looks, the purge troopers look like they could be legitimately challenging.

My only issues with it are the protagonist still looks pretty boring/generic, and I hope the gameplay has a little more variation than what they showed. Maybe some more platforming, wall running, or just other stuff to balance it out from being just combat. Also, I guess the time period between 3 and 4 isn’t the most interesting to me.

Looks quite simple to me combat wise and feels a lot like Uncharted. That's not bad, but I think it does make it not a day one pre-order for me. I would definitely play it at some point though.

I'm interested in of there is a skill tree for the robot thing, wonder what types of skills they may have unlockable.

The only remarkable thing about this game is it's a single player star wars game. Seems to be all it has going for it. So, hurray... Here's your participation trophy, Respawn... Good job little guy....

Beyond that? Perfect example why game "journalists" opinions and impressions should be mocked or ignored.

Ivellios

I really enjoyed what i saw, but i was surprised in reading the thread that many disliked it.

It looks like a fun game if they have a hard option avaiable, because it seemed too easy in the trailer.

I also agree with the sentiment that lightsaber should actually cut people to pieces.

Crew 511A

I loved the Force Unleashed, which is what this reminds me of...but I guess I thought this was going to be a bit less linear. Went from a day one purchase to "wait for sale".

Ivellios

I loved the Force Unleashed, which is what this reminds me of...but I guess I thought this was going to be a bit less linear. Went from a day one purchase to "wait for sale".

Apparently only the trailer was linear, the game itself wont be like that, it will have huge levels where you will be free to explore without the game telling you where you to go.

Or so i read somewhere.

Moses85

I'm not a star wars fan... but I like uncharted series so to me game looks interesting and especially graphics is very good 😀

Really? Graphically it looks compared to Battlefront or Uncharted very weak. The ropes for instance or the plants and facial animations... weak, very weak.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Really? Graphically it looks compared to Battlefront or Uncharted very weak. The ropes for instance or the plants and facial animations... weak, very weak.
I agree. Doesn't look good at all. Animations are horrible, especially at transitions.

If this game was in first person perspective(with some third person camera angles like climbing), we would have seen people complaining that it is not in third person. Like those complaining about cyberpunk 2077 being in first person. Though I think I would rather have that if it means the gameplay would better.

Elginer

Will buy but I'll buy pretty much anything Star Wars. Looks pretty graphically but animation seems a bit stiff.

Top Bottom