• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Gameplay Reveal

Mildudon

Why does every character need to be a "Choose your own adventure" book? I mean a good moral choice system can be cool, but it doesn't need to be in EVERYTHING.

This game clearly takes its inspiration from older star wars games like jedi outcast or jedi academy which had those systems. But the other point still stands how much does disney/Lucas meddle in game development. The way the devs said it sounded like that the character does not serve the game first. But instead the character is there to serve the greater star wars brand.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well I'll definitely play it. When I play it will depend on reviews. I want to know about difficulty, game length, unlockables, powers, and dlc plans.

But I'm down for a single player star wars game. I like that the lightsabers seem much stronger than most star wars games and one shot people. Would be neat to have a mode where your character is also that vulnerable.

I'm also a fan of prince of persia and miss wall running. Hopefully the platforming actually gets slightly interesting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I couldn't even finish the demo. The gameplay is just so average. What is going on at EA?
Are you really surprised? Its EA and working with huge IP like Star Wars, unlike FromSoftware they cant effort to make game for specific audience, they have appeal as many people as possible and the result is what we saw here.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
This looks fine.
Not good, not bad, just fine.

Can't say I came away remotely excited for the game so in that sense this showing was a bit of a failure for me.

Senhua

Difficulty was obviously at a minimum and the player character overpowered.

Come on guys, how are you even remotely surprised by this?

There is no way you’ll be able to one hit every single storm trooper and kill the Sith dudes with 3 hits except if you perhaps choose the baby difficulty at the beginning.
The prob is the AI behavior : Storm trooper don't behave like an intelligent being, more like a training dummies waiting to be killed. This kind of behavior should only been feasible at musou like games.

Dunno why they choose to showing this kind of AI level behavior, maybe it will behave differently in the final product.

CJY

Banned
I don’t care about a Star Wars game from EA at all... but I really don’t really see a huge need for this game when we have Lego Star Wars.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The prob is the AI behavior : Storm trooper don't behave like an intelligent being, more like a training dummies waiting to be killed. This kind of behavior should only been feasible at musou like games.

Dunno why they choose to showing this kind of AI level behavior, maybe it will behave differently in the final product.
They were obviously there to show off the abilities - most of which you obviously won’t already have at the point in the game.

I actually kinda feel stupid for having to point that out here...

Danjin44

both in Sekiro and Souls games don't have good AI in their enemies and bosses either but they have is interesting attack pattern and they hit hard.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They were obviously there to show off the abilities - most of which you obviously won’t already have at the point in the game.

I actually kinda feel stupid for having to point that out here...
Plus the devs made a poiint to say that the player playing was a 'VERY skilled player', almost hinting that the game might be quite hard.

This game clearly takes its inspiration from older star wars games like jedi outcast or jedi academy which had those systems. But the other point still stands how much does disney/Lucas meddle in game development. The way the devs said it sounded like that the character does not serve the game first. But instead the character is there to serve the greater star wars brand.
I'd be happier if instead of inspired by Outcast, they just remastered it.

somerset

1) Jedi swings on vines, climbs up vertical cliffs, and bounces between walls. Meanwhile his mates enter thru the front door.

2) pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha footage. *anything* you did not like is absolutely certain to be changed to your liking in the finished game.

3) don't worry about how much this game looks like a simple reskin of a previous one- that ain't the case, honest!

4) so all the good action is in the cut-scenes, or in the distance? That's as good as player agency- eh!

Looks like an effing *phone* game- what a giant disappointment.

Mildudon

I think it looks about six years out of date. Killzone Shadowfall looks better.

So a finished game looks better than a non finished game which we have only seen alpha footage of.

1cBPGvv.png

DonF

I like it, but looks easy AF. I hope that its just for demo purposes. It's like a game that I fell you have to play in hard to use all it's mechanics

Riven326

Banned
Are you really surprised? Its EA and working with huge IP like Star Wars, unlike FromSoftware they cant effort to make game for specific audience, they have appeal as many people as possible and the result is what we saw here.
Right. But EA should be able to at least put something together that wows people visually. This was painfully average both visually and in terms of game play, imo.

If I didn't know better, I'd swaer this one of those $40 budget games we get sometimes.

VAL0R

Banned
Looked surprisingly horrible compared to expectations. Wow, what an underwhelming showing. Yikes.

While this footage doesn’t blow me away, I think it looks promising. I’m, more or less, just as excited as I was a week ago, maybe a little more tempered.

I mean, it looks decent here

Riven326

Banned
So a finished game looks better than a non finished game which we have only seen alpha footage of.

1cBPGvv.png
There won't be a drastic difference from alpha to beta to "finished". I think the reason is because they're prioritizing frame rate. But it doesn't make sense to do that for a single player game that is as slow as this.

juliotendo

There’s a high probability this game is already set to fail.

There’s no hype for it and today’s demo just kinda fell on deaf ears.

Looks like it will be quickly reduced in price before the holidays.

Look how slow the stormtroopers run... and their animation is identical. Everything just seems slower. Even the battles. What's going on with the lightsaber and its color?! Graphics look really soft and lower res. The bullet time effect totally blurs the stormtroopers. The swinging on vines is really silly. Still not a fan of using this real actor as the main character. The overall character design also just seems weird. Each battle seems sectioned off and totally just linear and scripted. They should have went Dark Souls with this.

Last edited:

Senhua

both in Sekiro and Souls games don't have good AI in their enemies and bosses either but they have is interesting attack pattern and they hit hard.
Yeah that what I call improvement in AI too, it doesn't need perfectly resemble human behavior but "intent to kill" is must when someone invade your base and your superior ordered you to defend it with your life.
How to interpret "intent to kill" to the AI pattern, it's up to each developer I think.
Like Miyazaki-san choose as you described above.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Looks all right. The gameplay is certainly looking more interesting than, say, TFU. That said, I hope it's not so restrictive/linear/cinematic as it looks here all the way through. Sure Jedi Academy (my gold standard for SW action games) had linear levels, but you have a real freedom in how you approach their challenges, and there are lots of little secrets to find. The skill point notifications make me hopeful at least.

Looks all right. The gameplay is certainly looking more interesting than, say, TFU. That said, I hope it's not so restrictive/linear/cinematic as it looks here all the way through. Sure Jedi Academy (my gold standard for SW action games) had linear levels, but you have a real freedom in how you approach their challenges, and there are lots of little secrets to find. The skill point notifications make me hopeful at least.

You like JA more than JK2?

Danjin44

Look how slow the stormtroopers run... and their animation is identical. What's going on with the lightsaber and its color?! Graphics look really soft and lower res. The bullet time effect totally blurs the stormtroopers. The swinging on vines is really silly. Still not a fan of using this real actor as the main character. The overall character design also just seems weird. Each battle seems sectioned off and totally just linear and scripted. They should have went Dark Souls with this.
I would argue that would make it worst, it would be another game trying be Souls, but it's no where near as good. My problem with the combat is its too damn slow, especially for the character with special powers, I mean "Control" has much faster combat and you have way more mobility compare to this game.

D.Final

Banned
I saw the gameplay video.

From my point of view, it seemed to me a fairly (very) "static" and not very dynamic gameplay.

We immediately notice that they wanted to create something that reminds us of Uncharted.
The problem is that the action system of Uncharted manages to be very dynamic, and very variable, thanks to the possibilities that the gameplay of the game can offer you.
(how to use multiple types of weapons, be able to use a stealth approach in many phases, and have a system of covers for the whole game)

So the problems I noticed in this Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay video are:

- very easy difficulty.
(the only thing that can justify this approach is with the will to be "realistic" with the use of lightsabers, but then this should apply to every enemy of the game, including bosses)

Using, in practice, an almost totally OP protagonist.
(moreover the AI of the enemies does not seem very good, since they remain totally in place for a few seconds, after they have fired a shot)

- not very convincing "technical" factor choices.

The protagonist seems to be able to use the power of the "strength" without big limits at the moment.
(with the difference that this power lasts several seconds, but only on one opponent at a time)

Furthermore, the use of the lightsaber as a boomerang I did not find, personally, a great idea.

- the only weapons seem to be the lightsaber and the "strength".

So, no laser guns, apparently.

Which would make the gameplay built, in the round, only on these 2 variables.
Which is too little considering his universe.

I will await further clarification, before giving a final judgment.
But the impression the gameplay video left on me is quite normal, overall.

It almost seems to be a very standard adventure game.
Which draws inspiration from other games, as in small part from Uncharted, but which overall does not seem to be an excellent, or exceptional, game in anything that shows in the gameplay.
(giving therefore the premises for something that, in the end, could become monotonous if it is identical from the beginning to the end)

I will continue to keep an eye on him to see if my fears or doubts are true in the end or not.

This looks pretty enjoyable, hopefully there are a lot of secrets and unlockables. It looks like a classic single player game with a fresh skin.

However I will wait until I see some reviews to ensure I don’t get fooled with any visual downgrades.

Last edited:

lucius

It looks good to me, but I liked both The Force Unleashed games. Star Wars 1313 looked better but that ship has sailed, Uncharted 3 lead isn't even with company anymore. I guess there is always KOTOR to replay.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really like the text fonts they use but the animations don't look so great to me and this just doesn't hold my interest.
I didn't expect to see Forest Whitaker in this though, that was kinda cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom