• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Infinite Trailer (4x Star Trek game!)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The best Trek games are still the point-and-click classics, full of the original voice actors and some complex missions to figure out:

ss_5bb4277d3f2af5fdc5fb2efaa335cc6ce47f5588.600x338.jpg

After that, I'd take Elite Forces if I wanted an action game. But Trek and action are like oil and water to me.

I've never quite seen the appeal of the 4X genre for a Trek license, but maybe I'm missing something.

I was sold on this until I watched the trailer. It looks terrible. Also, Star Trek was all about a peaceful mission and non-interference. That is pretty much the opposite of a “4x game”. Isn’t this just going to be a generic 4x game with a Star Trek theme?

StereoVsn

As someone who's played alot of stellaris, this looks like a mod. Uses the same menus and planet models. Even scanning planets, Looks like the same mechanic.

I've always wanted a new 4x star trek game. Birth of the federation was pretty good. But this game looks like a cheap knock off.
It doesn't look too bad but I feel 4 factions isn't enough. Might check it out but yeah, that kind of looks like New Civilizations rip off.

ToadMan

I was just looking through my steam wishlist and decided to check out this game.

Anyway, for anyone not aware it has been abandoned by Paradox as noted here

Dev Diary entry 13 on Paradox forums

Steam reviews have gone to Overwhelmingly Negative.

I love the ideas behind Paradox games, but man they are good at alienating (no pun intended!) an already small customer base for these games and the games that survive are MTX'd to death instead.

EDIT : Not to be too harsh on paradox.... They're the publisher so it's the dev company (Nimble Giant) that is dropping it, but paradox had the brand power to market the game, and access to funding to avoid this outcome.

Last edited:

Hudo

I was just looking through my steam wishlist and decided to check out this game.

Anyway, for anyone not aware it has been abandoned by Paradox as noted here

Dev Diary entry 13 on Paradox forums

Steam reviews have gone to Overwhelmingly Negative.

I love the ideas behind Paradox games, but man they are good at alienating (no pun intended!) and already small customer base for these games and the games that survive are MTX'd to death instead.
Just how they've abandoned one of their few good games: Imperator: Rome.

I am astonished that they've not abandoned Cities: Skylines 2, yet.

ToadMan

Just how they've abandoned one of their few good games: Imperator: Rome.

I am astonished that they've not abandoned Cities: Skylines 2, yet.

Sounds like it's coming for Cities 2. Vic 3 is probably at risk too.

They seem to have gone for quantity over quality in the last few years.

Personally I'd rather pay $100+ for a complete game that receives adequate support. What Paradox seem to put out these days are betas and glorified mods, and then try to MTX the games after to actually cover the costs and make profits for future investments.

Their recent releases just aren't making the grade. Even CK3 is a debatable "upgrade" to CK2, and the DLCs are pretty poor for the most part.

Imperator Rome had great potential and patched up now its decent enough, but it should have launched that way.

StereoVsn

Sounds like it's coming for Cities 2. Vic 3 is probably at risk too.

They seem to have gone for quantity over quality in the last few years.

Personally I'd rather pay $100+ for a complete game that receives adequate support. What Paradox seem to put out these days are betas and glorified mods, and then try to MTX the games after to actually cover the costs and make profits for future investments.

Their recent releases just aren't making the grade. Even CK3 is a debatable "upgrade" to CK2, and the DLCs are pretty poor for the most part.

Imperator Rome had great potential and patched up now its decent enough, but it should have launched that way.
Vic 3 ain’t going to be abandoned, it has sold enough for them to keep doing DLCs for a long time. Plus if they abandon Vicky 3 without at least couple more years of updates they will not have anyone buying their stuff.

The fact that they dropped Imperator was just annoying as F as it finally became good with 2.0 patch. And it’s all PDX fault because the game was bland and pretty bad at release so it didn’t sell.

As for this Star Trek game we had a few examples of these limited takes over the years for PDX games and they all kind of sucked. There is a great Star Trek mod for Stellaris though.

Top Bottom