• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Squid Game Renewed for Season 2

Kev Kev

was there ever any question after the success of season 1?

lookin forward to it! first one was a nice surprise. i watched the night it released before anyone knew about it. i still think the hype was a little over blown. like i thought it was good but not the best show on netflix good. but still glad to see t getting renewed, there is more story to tell here.

i hope if they get english speaking actors again that they dont sound so weird. not sure what that was all about but it really to me out of the scene in the first one. it was like they spoke perfect english, but were coached to sound like they were speaking english for the first time lol. it was so bizarre.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

i hope if they get english speaking actors again that they dont sound so weird. not sure what that was all about but it really to me out of the scene in the first one. it was like they spoke perfect english, but were coached to sound like they were speaking english for the first time lol. it was so bizarre.
Just watch it with subtitles

DKehoe

One of the English-speaking actors from it explained it here. I imagine they'll fix those kinds of issues for season 2 since they now know there will be such a big international audience.

I think they mean the VIPs, who spoke English, not the dubbed version.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

eeewww subtitles
1282349.jpeg

this series was overhyped like crazy. It's not bad by any means. It starts off great but the ending was a major letdown.

oh yeah, the dubbed version was shit. Just watch the subbed version.

vpance

Kinda think they can't do another competition thing with 100s of contestants, but who knows. I would expect them to reveal more about the shadowy elites.

Kev Kev

i just realized were talking about squidgame here, lol whoops

uh yeah of course i watched with subtitles! however that part is still spoken in englsh with or without subs, and they sound weird af.

although i hate subtitles if everyone is speaking english. makes no sense to me to do that. but yeah for squid game is original audio with english subs

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yes but it is mine and those old rich white dudes in squid talked weird af. way weirder than any normal english speaking american
i think that was deliberate. it's a show that was primarily aimed at koreans. of course to native english speakers it sounds weird but not to koreans.

Kev Kev

i think that was deliberate. it's a show that was primarily aimed at koreans. of course to native english speakers it sounds weird but not to koreans.
but that doesnt make sense

if they speak korean whats the difference to them? why not just have the actors speak regular sounding english? why go out of the way and tell them to intentionally talk weird?

but that doesnt make sense

if they speak korean whats the difference to them? why not just have the actors speak regular sounding english? why go out of the way and tell them to intentionally talk weird?
Many many many Koreans speak some English. English education is mandatory in Korean schools. But that doesn't mean everyone is fluent. You're probably right that the old rich dudes were coached to sound the way they did. The original Resident Evil did the same thing with its VO where they want their native audience to be able to understand it.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Many many many Koreans speak some English. And you're probably right that the old rich dudes were coached to sound the way they did. The original Resident Evil did the same thing with its VO
ok ok ok i think im starting to see now

so imagine korean kev is in korea watching squid games. korean kev speaks korean (or whatever language they speak lol) but he also speaks english. so hes watching squid games and everything is in his language and when it comes to the english speaking parts he can understand them because he speak english. however if they speak perfect english that sounds bizarre to him bc hes used to broken korean english??? so the show creators coached the actors to sound more like a korean would sound when speaking english?

i that think thats right...? but man what a mind fuck. is that not a whole lot more complicated than just having the actors talk normal and koreans can read with subtitles? do they not believe in subtitles in korea? what about koreans who can speak perfect english? are they not going to pick up on the fact that these actors sound like aliens pretending to be humans speaking english?

Last edited:
ok ok ok i think im starting to see now

so imagine korean kev is in korea watching squid games. korean kev speaks korean (or whatever language they speak lol) but he also speaks english. so hes watching squid games and everything is in his language and when it comes to the english speaking parts he can understand them because he speak english. however if they speak perfect english that sounds bizarre to him bc hes used to broken korean english??? so the show creators coached the actors to sound more like a korean would sound when speaking english?

i that think thats right...? but man what a mind fuck. is that not a whole lot more complicated than just having the actors talk normal and koreans can read with subtitles? do they not believe in subtitles in korea? what about koreans who can speak perfect english? are they not going to pick up on the fact that these actors sound like aliens pretending to be humans speaking english?
Yes--English teachers in Korea face the same thing: Korean staff "correcting" them on their English because it sounds weird to them.

Also: the pool for white actors in Korea is smaller, so it could be a combo of that and also these guys not being the best actors to begin with

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Yes--English teachers in Korea face the same thing: Korean staff "correcting" them on their English because it sounds weird to them.

Also: the pool for white actors in Korea is smaller, so it could be a combo of that and also these guys not being the best actors to begin with
interesting. ok cool thanks for the lesson! didnt know all that

Top Bottom