• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan renews deal with Spotify, but his podcast is no longer exclusive. Will return to YouTube, Apple, etc.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Joe Rogan, podcasting’s biggest star, has renewed his deal with Spotify. The new multiyear deal will allow his show, which is currently exclusive to the streamer, to be distributed to YouTube, Apple, and other podcasting platforms.

Estimated to be worth $250 million.

Last edited:
I'm a fan but man he needs to fuck up a bit more and let his guests speak and stop going on and on and on about the same shite
I think he's usually good about letting his guests speak, but you're right that there are topics that he does go on about. Thankfully, it's easy enough to skip forward.

Comedy, politics, social issues, MMA, hunting, nature, health, exercise, science, cars, drugs, music, etc. If all of these things don't interest you, then you're not alone. I'm sure a lot of his fans don't like every subject he talks about.

Kacho

This marks the end of a major change in strategy for Spotify. The company went big on exclusive podcast deals several years ago as a way to lock users to its platform. That strategy evidently was not a big enough success, and the company is now transitioning these deals into ad sales arrangements.
Love how these companies think these exclusive deals make any difference. I don't use Spotify and never will. I only listened to Rogan on YouTube because it was convenient. Sounds like most felt the same.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hang on, he got like 100mill what, 2-3 years ago to be exclusive? And now 250 mill? JFC, how much does an ad on his podcast cost? Most podcast ads seem to be for such niche things, they can't cost more than a few thousand. Is he getting car and film commercials? Or political ads?

I never made the jump to spotify but did listen to a lot of his earlier stuff. Kinda astounding to me that he can command that much. What's Howard Stern getting these days? Wild how mainstream podcasting has become from the old days...

Chittagong

Gold Member
So if it is not exclusive, what are Spotify paying that 250M for?

Also gives an idea of the caliber of people he can have. If he out 100M to his content budget he could pay a guest 1M each week for two years to come and talk. So he can basically have anyone. Naturally he does need to pay, because people want to be there.

Sushi_Combo

That's an insane amount of money for a podcast. What's funny is that he isn't even that interesting. His show is best when he just lets guests talk.
It's gotten worse overtime, he used to have some really interesting guests. Now it's all conspiracy idiots.

Cyberpunkd

Listened to two of his podcasts with uktrarunners - the guys is stupid and pure vanilla, he never says anything of substance.

He is like Pokimane of podcasting.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's not accurate. If you listen to him on Spotify, there are ads. He generally reads the ads himself. They interrupt the episode a few times, but you can skip them even if you don't pay for Spotify.
I've watched a thousand rogan episodes, haven't seen a single ad on Spotify.

I've watched a thousand rogan episodes, haven't seen a single ad on Spotify.
Then you have an add blocker, and / or you're not listening to him on the phone app. Or maybe there aren't ads in your country, but trust me, I've heard hundreds of ads on Rogan's podcast.

Last edited:

Bridges

Then you have an add blocker, and / or you're not listening to them on the phone app. Or maybe there aren't ads in your country, but trust me, I've heard hundreds of ads on Rogan's podcast.
Yup, in the U.S. Spotify has ad reads during the show, usually read by Rogan or Joey Diaz. Spotify's ads are pretty inoffensive though because you can fast forward through them. Much better than pretty much any other platform's ads.

Yup, in the U.S. Spotify has ad reads during the show, usually read by Rogan or Joey Diaz. Spotify's ads are pretty inoffensive though because you can fast forward through them. Much better than pretty much any other platform's ads.
To clarify this for anyone who doesn't use Spotify, you can fast forward though ads during podcasts, but you cannot skip them when listening to music. Otherwise, yeah, what you said is completely accurate.

Bridges

To clarify this for anyone who doesn't use Spotify, you can fast forward though ads during podcasts, but you cannot skip them when listening to music. Otherwise, yeah, what you said is completely accurate.
Good point, yeah I definitely should've clarified that. Really good for podcasts but pretty annoying for music if you're not a Premium subscriber.

HoodWinked

Maybe it will be timed exclusive. Like 48hrs or something.

A lot of Rogan clips just end up on YouTube so this would actually give them more control on YouTube of their own content.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Been listening since 2012, switched to the video version in 2018 when I got my LG OLED with the YouTube app. When it went to Spotify the app on the same TV was absolutely hideous, endless bugs appearing and disappearing, most are fixed now but it's still clunky and a few particular issues persist. Will be glad to go back to YouTube.

He should go on to Rumble too, seems like a good fit. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes on X as well.

Fbh

Good for him, always enjoy his podcast when he has interesting guests.

That said I don't get what Spotify is paying for if the show will no longer be exclusive. Was he going to post his stuff everywhere else except for spotify if they didn't pay him?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just think, if a short and stocky vigilante with amazing gadgets and cars shows up to fight crime in Austin, I think I may have an idea who it is.....

LordOfChaos

Just think, if a short and stocky vigilante with amazing gadgets and cars shows up to fight crime in Austin, I think I may have an idea who it is.....

Nah, he'd be

jlu7eh1gr5f71.jpg

DKehoe

250 mil for non-exclusivity, what the fuck kind of deal is this?
I was wondering this too. I wondered if they’d keep certain episodes, say one a month or ones with particularly notable guests, on Spotify and the others can be more publicly accessible to drive more interest to the show overall.

xrnzaaas

Hang on, he got like 100mill what, 2-3 years ago to be exclusive? And now 250 mill? JFC, how much does an ad on his podcast cost? Most podcast ads seem to be for such niche things, they can't cost more than a few thousand. Is he getting car and film commercials? Or political ads?

I never made the jump to spotify but did listen to a lot of his earlier stuff. Kinda astounding to me that he can command that much. What's Howard Stern getting these days? Wild how mainstream podcasting has become from the old days...
What's funny is that Spotify doesn't force inject any ad breaks into podcasts (all of them, not just Joe's). You can just listen to the whole thing without any interruptions, even if a podcast episode is 3-4 hours long. The only exception to that is if the host does the interruptions on their own as part of the episode.

The only money they can get from it is that people will be using Spotify more frequently and maybe subscribe for the other benefits. Now that Joe's show won't be airing exclusively even that incentive will be gone.

There's also a different topic of Spotify wanting Joe, but not for his "controversial" episodes. It's laughable - they should either give him complete free speech (within boundries of the law) or simply don't sign him.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is why I stopped listening. I know what he's going to say before he says it. Not his fault of course. That comes with having listened to him for so many years.

More or less the same. I just lost interest some years ago. And with his "comedian" group shit going on besides him being as funny as a rotten apple I just said no I'm done.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'd recommend "the higher side chats" podcast for a more professional and in depth one on one. But that's just me.

Coat tail riding pretentious non funny in group consequences

Last edited:
I'd recommend "the higher side chats" podcast for a more professional and in depth one on one. But that's just me.

Coat tail riding pretentious non funny in group consequences

Prophet Tim Dillon does not belong on that image.

The rest are lame, though. Rogan has pretty bad taste in comedy.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That one dude with the mustache haircut and high water pants to show of his sneakers is the worst. Like giving second hand embarrassment a new level. Smh.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Paying someone $250m to sit in a room and talk shit.

...and people wonder why their subscription costs keep going up
It’s literally just a guess lol

By the writing in the article it could just be a pure revenue share thing.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Love it when a rogan "comic" affiliate comments on Joe's intellect. Let's ignore the "Jamie can you pull this up" lmao.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think Joe Rogan podcast is healthy nonsense it is capable of big stars like Elon musk, Miley Cyrus and the rock.

Top Bottom