• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify Gives Joe Rogan and Platform and $100 Million

ManaByte

Joe Rogan is taking his podcast exclusively to Spotify Technology S.A. in a licensing deal worth more than $100 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Mr. Rogan, 52 years old, had so far withheld his podcast from Spotify, saying the streaming service doesn’t pay enough and he had been generating significant revenue on other services such as Alphabet Inc.’s YouTube. His full library, dating back 11 years, is to hit the service Sept. 1, and become exclusive to Spotify after that, before the end of the year. His video podcasts, which will also appear on Spotify, will no longer be available on YouTube.

He also assured fans the podcast will still be available free on both Spotify’s ad-supported and premium tiers.

OIP.1O5fA9Zl33wDEvGCDJWtiAHaD4

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some think this will hurt his growth. I don't at all.

A lot of people saying they're gonna bail. I don't see that either, if anything his numbers will increase, downloading an app is about as simple as it gets.

As long as it's not loaded with ads, and apparently ads on Spotify are only for music so it should be ad free even without Spotify Premium, minus Rogan's typical reads.

Last edited:

mekes

Good for him man. I haven’t really listened for a while, tend to be a bit all or nothing with his podcast, but I have had episodes in the past that I thoroughly enjoyed. Notably when he had Graham Hancock on the show.

Taking that money was the right move. Especially if he retains freedom over guests etc.

A lot of people saying they're gonna bail. I don't see that either, if anything his numbers will increase, downloading an app is about as simple as it gets.

As long as it's not loaded with ads, and apparently ads on Spotify are only for music so it should be ad free even without Spotify Premium, minus Rogan's typical reads.

Spotify has what, 270,000,000 (surely inflated) "active" users? YouTube has billions. It isn't hard to see why some people would say it will hurt his growth. Whether it does or not, who knows.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
"Hurt his growth?" I dunno. Let's realistically add up how many lifetimes it would take for him to make $100M+ on youtube and then it becomes clear why, even if it failed miserably in a few years, it would be worth the "failure."

The comparison to Ninja on Mixer is the right one. He took a massive deal that guaranteed many years' worth of earnings without any risk of popularity going down or losing sponsors or any unforeseen problem. How could it matter in any way if the view count number is lower? The money is already there, guaranteed in a contract anyway. It's a smart deal.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Spotify has what, 270,000,000 (surely inflated) "active" users? YouTube has billions. It isn't hard to see why some people would say it will hurt his growth. Whether it does or not, who knows.
Even with that though most of his hits and revenue came from the podcast downloads not YouTube views.

That with the fact that he’s already #1 and can’t get any bigger, his growth now is self sustaining. And the clips channel will still be on YouTube so in the rare event someone still doesn’t know anything about his show, they can find out through YouTube via the clips channel and such.

But overall if they can go back to not worrying about the channel getting taken down I think it’ll prove the show as long as it isn’t loaded with ads and I don’t think it will be.

Karma Jawa

Clips stays, full episodes, no.

What I don’t know is if past content will be removed and deleted from YouTube.

Probably. I doubt Spotify will be paying all that cash just for new content.

Haven’t been on Spotify since I had a Beta account around 2008. Guess I’ll have to look into signing up. Presumably they’ll ask him to stop laying into Spotify when it comes to how little the musicians get.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
so he just got bought out and they will start to censor or produce what he says? This is a stupid move. He has a boss now. Instead of calling his own shots.
No, he didn't get bought out. It's just licensing. Everything will stay the same, no worries there, I think the content will actually improve without Youtube concerns. Joe will never not be his own boss with his own content.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As long as JRE Clips is still on youtube I honestly don't care. I check most of the clips. And then if I find it's REALLY worth listening to, I will listen to maybe 1 in 100 of his full podcasts.

If it's one I actually want to watch in full, then I'll just watch it on my desktop with a free spotify account.

neobiz

Is spotify audio only?

I don't use it and as much as I enjoy some of the Rogan content, it's not enough to push me over to use it

HoodWinked

he'll def lose some of his audience but that's what he's being paid for. Rogan is probably enough of a draw that people will begrudgingly install the spotify app

its the same with the mixer deals with Ninja and Shroud, they're losing viewers but getting guaranteed money for it.

daveonezero

Banned
No, he didn't get bought out. It's just licensing. Everything will stay the same, no worries there, I think the content will actually improve without Youtube concerns. Joe will never not be his own boss with his own content.
I guess. Its just probably not worth it. He could have just made his own platform. Maybe that's what happened. Maybe he gets part of Spotify.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have zero interest in Spotify and my interest in his podcast wont push me to this platform. I listened to his podcast much heavier in years past. Lately not even close to as much.

oagboghi2

Oh this will kill his growth Absolutely. Spotify is tiny compared to YouTube.

I mean, YouTube is borderline ubiquitous. It’s on every phone and platform, and It‘s free. You can’t beat that

Cleared_Hot

Would've preferred TIDAL due to it's quality video streaming. And superior audio quality in general. Plus they offer military discount for premium. Spotify I loved for tyears had it since it launched really. But my account has been hacked numerous times so I gave up on it and switched. Ive never used it for a podcast before.

Karma Jawa

Oh this will kill his growth Absolutely. Spotify is tiny compared to YouTube.

I mean, YouTube is borderline ubiquitous. It’s on every phone and platform, and It‘s free. You can’t beat that

I wonder if they’ll censor the Steven Tyler episode where he heavily implied that he wanted to shoot everyone at Spotify?

I agree that it will kill his growth. A lot of people dislike Spotify, including Joe Rogan who has been highly critical of it on several occasions.

cryptoadam

Banned
All REEEE spotify accounts are cancelled. Wonder if anyone who talks about spotify will have to put up a disclaimer explaining Joe Rogan.

Good for him, 100 million or dealing with sketchy YouTube the choice is easy.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Let’s see Spotify up their game and add streaming video. Some songs already play the video automatically on my phone.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
it means that the audio version will have unskippable ads sprinkled throughout the episode unless you pay for membership.

RIP JRE :messenger_horns:

Top Bottom