• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify Gives Joe Rogan and Platform and $100 Million

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I mean I guess it’s possible people will bail, but people add apps to their phones and tablets every damn day. All it takes is literally a press of the finger or looking at your screen. If people truly like his podcast, downloading a new app is no trouble at all. People do it on a whim all the time it’s not like it takes any effort whatsoever.

Look, I prefer the current format because I’m used to what I’m used to and I prefer what apps I prefer, but “aw man, I gotta download a new app now???” People I don’t get. Stop being fucking lazy lol.

My only gripe is that I already pay for no ads on YouTube, so I don't want to pay for another service I don't even use just for Rogan. It's a personal problem, but I'm genuinely happy for the guy. That's some serious generational wealth being set up over there. As much time and effort as he has put into this, and growing the community, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it means that the audio version will have unskippable ads sprinkled throughout the episode unless you pay for membership.

RIP JRE :messenger_horns:

Wait, his YouTube channel doesn't have that (I pay for YouTube premium, so I wouldn't know, but I thought all monetized videos had ads).

I mean I guess it’s possible people will bail, but people add apps to their phones and tablets every damn day. All it takes is literally a press of the finger or looking at your screen. If people truly like his podcast, downloading a new app is no trouble at all. People do it on a whim all the time it’s not like it takes any effort whatsoever.

Look, I prefer the current format because I’m used to what I’m used to and I prefer what apps I prefer, but “aw man, I gotta download a new app now???” People I don’t get. Stop being fucking lazy lol.

He's definitely going to lose out on a ton of people just straight up discovering his content, because Spotify isn't really conducive to the kind of discovery that YouTube allows.

Not like he gives a fuck with the kind of money he just got, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinchy

Banned
Do guests on his show get paid? I mean if he's pulling in a hundred mil from this...

They probably get paid in the form of getting to plug their book, show, movie, or whatever they are selling, to millions of people while selling themselves as well. That's why they do any interview.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Wait, his YouTube channel doesn't have that (I pay for YouTube premium, so I wouldn't know, but I thought all monetized videos had ads).

He's definitely going to lose out on a ton of people just straight up discovering his content, because Spotify isn't really conducive to the kind of discovery that YouTube allows.

Not like he gives a fuck with the kind of money he just got, thought.
With the Clips channel still being on Youtube, people can still stumble upon his stuff, it'll pop up in recommended feeds and stuff.

Unless Youtube starts shadow banning it for him taking his main channel off there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This will hurt his growth. It’s not as bad a Ninja jumping to Mixer, but it is a similar scenario. Also, with the elections coming, you’d want a neutral voice having better reach. I don’t use Spotify, free or paid, and Joe Rogan isn’t enough of a draw for me to install the app.

So what happens when Rogan is worth more than Dana White? Can he finally buy out the UFC?

I didn't even know Spotify had this kind of cash to splash around. That shows you how much I know about music streaming services I guess.

I enjoy his stuff when I stumble on it on youtube.
Would never pay money for watching this, though

And I have no other interests in spotify.
Bye, Joe.

(that was a haiku)

Sakura

That's too bad. I watch his videos occasionally, but I ain't a big enough fan to go to Spotify.
Also, while I understand it is a lot of money so he might not worry about losing some audience, isn't one of the main reasons some of the big guests go on there because of the huge reach he has?

He will lose viewers. I have Spotify, but I never listen or watch podcasts on it. I've given JRE views without even trying on YouTube. That doesn't happen on Spotify.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Picture yourself in charge of Spotify. You have 100 million freedom coins. Rogan exclusivity is one option. What other options do you think could give you better ROI?

Dontero

Banned
Well he openly stated multiple times that he is not comfortable with YT and what it does with its creators and that they can just ban them at any moment.

Spottily spent 100mln so they won't ban him unless they get at least 100mln.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I hate YouTube too. While I liked watching his show there, I hated how he had to walk on eggshells. I hope this allows him to be more of himself. and show clips and stuff on the screen.

And if adding a new app is too much work, then that's your prerogative, but you were never that big of a fan to begin with. That's like finding out a sports team you love can only be viewed on an app, any fan who loves that team will get the app immediately. Anyone who is a genuine fan of Rogan will go to Spotify. The casuals who only clicked videos because they popped up in recommendations on Youtube can will still have the clips.

And for those who are on the fence... you have 6+ months to download an app. Take the 2 minutes to download it to your device and figure out how to use it and you'll be good to go when it becomes exclusive.

ManaByte

This will hurt his growth. It’s not as bad a Ninja jumping to Mixer, but it is a similar scenario. Also, with the elections coming, you’d want a neutral voice having better reach. I don’t use Spotify, free or paid, and Joe Rogan isn’t enough of a draw for me to install the app.

Well then if you’re a neutral voice then you don’t want to be on a Google platform, especially this election.

Youtube is the common accelerator of pop culture these days.
I would have never even stumbled upon him were it not for Youtube.

I just open up Youtube on my firestick when lying on my couch, and check shit out that gets recommended to me.
And Joe Rogan happens to be recommended to me a lot there.

Opening up spotify to just check out what new stuff happened on Rogans show is too big a step for me. There is literally nothing else that interests me on spotify.

Youtube is the common accelerator of pop culture these days.
I would have never even stumbled upon him were it not for Youtube.

I just open up Youtube on my firestick when lying on my couch, and check shit out that gets recommended to me.
And Joe Rogan happens to be recommended to me a lot there.

Opening up spotify to just check out what new stuff happened on Rogans show is too big a step for me. There is literally nothing else that interests me on spotify.

Thats my thoughts also, i like the podcast but spotify is blocked at my work while youtube isnt. I'm not going to jump through extra hoops to catch the show

eot

Banned
Thats my thoughts also, i like the podcast but spotify is blocked at my work while youtube isnt. I'm not going to jump through extra hoops to catch the show
Why do they block a music service but not one of the biggest "distraction" sites on the web?

Why do they block a music service but not one of the biggest "distraction" sites on the web?

Sorry i should clarify, as a manager its not blocked for me (or i assume higher) but everyone else it is. Spotify is blocked for me and i assume everyone

Facebook is also not blocked, i guess because they understand people have down time but i would be happy if that was gone

I'm wondering if this means the MP3s will still be available via his own website. I'm not an online only guy. If his own website won't be doing MP3 downloads then this sucks (for me).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I expect JRE won't be as much a part of the current zeitgeist after the switch to Spotify. I'll still listen, though, and if there's less censorship that'll be a plus.

Probably time to break out youtube-dl.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Great move for Rogan, a giant pile of money and gets to continue his podcast without having multiple youtube swords hanging over his head.

Not sure I'll be able to listen to the same 3 spotify ads over and over again but maybe his podcast will be treated differently than other spotify content in that respect.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
"Hurt his growth?" I dunno. Let's realistically add up how many lifetimes it would take for him to make $100M+ on youtube and then it becomes clear why, even if it failed miserably in a few years, it would be worth the "failure."

The comparison to Ninja on Mixer is the right one. He took a massive deal that guaranteed many years' worth of earnings without any risk of popularity going down or losing sponsors or any unforeseen problem. How could it matter in any way if the view count number is lower? The money is already there, guaranteed in a contract anyway. It's a smart deal.
He made $30,000,000 last year, he's already rich.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It wasn't all from Youtube (if that number is even accurate). He'll keep making most of that on top of this $100M+ contract.
I didn't say it was all from YouTube. But it's not like he needs $100 million. At this point money is just a number, he doesn't need Spotify.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
His video podcasts, which will also appear on Spotify, will no longer be available on YouTube.

Oh no

I expect JRE won't be as much a part of the current zeitgeist after the switch to Spotify. I'll still listen, though, and if there's less censorship that'll be a plus.

Probably time to break out youtube-dl.
Well said. It was easy. I put on JRE while working out. Fire Stick > Youtube

Youtube 'works' is their best feature. Most platforms video players are terrible.

Not a fan of Youtube and selective censorship though...

GeorgPrime

Banned
I guess its just peanuts for spotify at this moment of time. :)

Spotifiy is my number one go to platform for music like i use netflix for TV Shows

It delivers a really great service and 130.000.000 active users is not a thing everyone can achieve

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
The jre podcast is one of the main ones I listen to but I'm not installing Spotify just for that, if I can't get it in my podcast app then I won't listen anymore which will suck

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I hate YouTube too. While I liked watching his show there, I hated how he had to walk on eggshells. I hope this allows him to be more of himself. and show clips and stuff on the screen.

And if adding a new app is too much work, then that's your prerogative, but you were never that big of a fan to begin with. That's like finding out a sports team you love can only be viewed on an app, any fan who loves that team will get the app immediately. Anyone who is a genuine fan of Rogan will go to Spotify. The casuals who only clicked videos because they popped up in recommendations on Youtube can will still have the clips.

And for those who are on the fence... you have 6+ months to download an app. Take the 2 minutes to download it to your device and figure out how to use it and you'll be good to go when it becomes exclusive.

The thing you and everyone else isn't realizing is it that with money like that involved corporate is going to have him walking on eggshells even worse! Don't forget, Spotify censors artist they find to be 'problematic' and takes their music off of playlist, and they don't even pay them! Imagine how bad they'll get on Joe when he says something they don't like. The idea that Joe will have more freedom is laughable, this isn't Howard Stern on satellite radio streaming from live fisting orgy's, this is him associating with a company that's made it clear people like Joe aren't welcome.

If Joe was so tired of YouTube he could make the investment and stream everything from their studio on other platforms or his own website as opposed to taking money from Spotify.

njr

Not a big fan of this move. Joe is really needed as one of the voices on YouTube that's too large for the gated institutional narrative to ban outright. I'm not sure YouTube will ever allow someone not already this big to talk about sensitive topics that go against their narrative.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He will lose viewers. I have Spotify, but I never listen or watch podcasts on it. I've given JRE views without even trying on YouTube. That doesn't happen on Spotify.

I've used Spotify for many years and had honestly never even considered listening to podcasts on it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The thing you and everyone else isn't realizing is it that with money like that involved corporate is going to have him walking on eggshells even worse! Don't forget, Spotify censors artist they find to be 'problematic' and takes their music off of playlist, and they don't even pay them! Imagine how bad they'll get on Joe when he says something they don't like. The idea that Joe will have more freedom is laughable, this isn't Howard Stern on satellite radio streaming from live fisting orgy's, this is him associating with a company that's made it clear people like Joe aren't welcome.

If Joe was so tired of YouTube he could make the investment and stream everything from their studio on other platforms or his own website as opposed to taking money from Spotify.

Make no mistake, Spotify needs Joe Rogan far far faaaaaaaaaaar more than Joe Rogan needs Spotify. He has the #1 podcast in the world, he's a hot commodity. If he didn't get it from Spotify, he would have gotten it elsewhere rather easily. Spotify is in no bargaining position to dictate terms to him other than standard contractual obligations. Spotify is trying to become big in the podcasting game and they needed Rogan badly. He had them by the balls in any negotiation.

Is there a Spotify free subscription? Can I listen to Joe Rogan on that tier?

Yes, it's just as easy as downloading Youtube app and making an account there. Just a different platform. It takes a couple minutes and you're good to go. The only question is whether or not people like the layout and interface of Spotify, but other than that it's free and takes no time at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom