• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify Gives Joe Rogan and Platform and $100 Million

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When all is said and done, it'll be interesting to compare and contrast these kinds of platform exclusive moves.

Stern to Sirius, Ninja to Mixer, Rogan to Spotify.

Kempton

Neo Member
This is probably the end of the Rogan domination era, probably a good choice for him personally but I doubt this will extend his influence. A big part of the whole podcast thing was the pirate radio vibes where there’s no potential corporate constraints on content, this just moves him one step back toward being a glorified radio show.

Ultimately all the Wild West new media from the last two decades will ossify into stable but stagnant demographics before declining dull and tired. At that point I expect the youth will smirk as old uncle Phil tunes into a 65 yo Rogan and then struggles away with dusty weight lifting equipment and a beer belly.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The stock market approves of Spotify's decision to spend money on Rogan:

ZslWyDv.png

I'll watch the occasional JR interview on youtube, if he has an interesting guest. I'll probably give the free version of spotify a go eventually, and see if its worth the trouble.

entremet

This is probably the end of the Rogan domination era, probably a good choice for him personally but I doubt this will extend his influence. A big part of the whole podcast thing was the pirate radio vibes where there’s no potential corporate constraints on content, this just moves him one step back toward being a glorified radio show.

Ultimately all the Wild West new media from the last two decades will ossify into stable but stagnant demographics before declining dull and tired. At that point I expect the youth will smirk as old uncle Phil tunes into a 65 yo Rogan and then struggles away with dusty weight lifting equipment and a beer belly.
Didn't really happen to Howard Stern when he went to satellite radio.

In the early days of the Adam Carolla podcast some lady got mad at something he said and Adam went off on her, “this is a Pirate ship, I’m the captain, there are no corporate overlords here” or something like that.

Didn’t Joe have episodes taken off YT in the past for odd reasons, like one with Milo for example?

Good for Joe for getting this deal. Dude is killin‘ it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That’s an insane amount of money and I guess a testament to his wide reaching appeal. Good for him! With this he can really do whatever and not have to worry about being under the censor happy eye of Youtube and Google. I’ll probably sub at least to check it out

At that point I expect the youth will smirk as old uncle Phil tunes into a 65 yo Rogan and then struggles away with dusty weight lifting equipment and a beer belly.
Dude, Rogan is 52 yo.
It's not like he is now in the age bracket of zoomers, anyway..

DKehoe

There goes any hope for Alex Jones 3.

I do wonder if this will affect who he can have on. I'm only a very occasional listener but the Alex Jones ones were ones I made sure to check out because of the batshittery. The controversial ones get the most discussion so perhaps Spotify won't mind since they will draw more interest. There's also the possibility that Rogan getting "fuck you money" means he will just do whatever he likes and not feel like he has to answer to anyone.

Keihart

So be it, i'll no longer listen to Joe Rogan's podcasts.
For that money tho, good riddance. He can keep doing the podcasts and it really doesn't matter if somebody even listens to it.

BTW, what's the catch to use spotify? youtube has way more music in it, including unlicensed tracks and stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom