• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix says sales of Final Fantasy 16 are “extremely strong”, telling IGN the game has sold well relative to the PS5 install base

Didn't Yoshi P also state something like they have a 18 month post launch plan to increase sales numbers as well? They have to be adding content.

NxMl0qg.png

D1CGDMl.jpg

Danwan224

No Men in Boxes we need you leading the counter attack!

I will take the reins then😃.

This game has sold fine not amazing and obviously not bad it's done enough to probably be profitable already and justify dlc blah blah.

BUT! It's not the mega hit Square obviously want it to be. When all is said and done it won't be at God of war, Horizon or even resident evil level.

All this BS about attach rates etc ain't gone change that.

And Square fucking want it to be that big why on earth wouldn't they? Yoshida was banging on about how FF was no longer a must buy any more and this game was attempting to change that.

Well news flash it hasn't. It sold enough to be profitable and to justify Sqaure faffing about with this franchise for another 5 years not really committing to anything.

And yes I have a vested interest in Future FFs not being like FF16 fucking sue me!
It definitely gonna get to resident evil level but probably not Horizon or GOW level

Go_Ly_Dow

Didn't Yoshi P also state something like they have a 18 month post launch plan to increase sales numbers as well? They have to be adding content.
A safe guess is this includes 1-2 DLCs, the PC release, continued marketing, gradual sales with the rising PS5 install base once the slim model is out, price discounts etc...

As for patches - maybe an improved 60fps performance mode and 120hz/40fps support.

Alright! I'm back on board!

FFXVI will slide to a halt at ~8 million units sold, it'll be heavily discounted starting in 2024 and it will ultimately be classified as a lukewarm success! God, this feels good.

It's the Days Gone of the PS5 generation. Shake things up at Square! Give the reins to the younger generation! Mainline Final Fantasy is in limbo!
To be honest I think this was what they attempted. Yoshida and CBU3 were meant to be the new wonder team after FF14 resurrection and mega success.

I'am kinda feel they need to stick with a style of game for a while. ( Just not this style😀)They keep flip flopping from one style of game to the next chucking away good systems and rarely building on what came before.

Not every series breaks out like God of war or zelda. Some get bigger by slowly incrementally changing like Souls, and Persona. Baldurs gate 3 looks like the next game of this type to break out big will we see!

tryDEATH

I don't think the game bombed, but I also think it didn't even come close to what SE expected. If I remember correctly in one of the interviews the dev's wanted to return the game to its past glories of being a system seller, which was an absolute pipe dream.

This game needed to rebuild confidence of the fans that FF righting the ship, which for a good chunk of gamers it did, but in the process also alienated a chunk as well due to the gameplay. I personally think they're headed in the right direction and I am looking forward what they will be presenting next, even though I am on Xbox and most likely won't get to play it unfortunately.

It definitely gonna get to resident evil level but probably not Horizon or GOW level
That's definitely not guaranteed Top resident evil games are doing 12 million lifetime now somewhat quickly.

If FF16 can do that it will probably be the most successful FF since 7. Early chats don't seem to be painting that picture it's already out the top 10 in the UK.

Generic

That's definitely not guaranteed Top resident evil games are doing 12 million lifetime now somewhat quickly.

If FF16 can do that it will probably be the most successful FF since 7. Early chats don't seem to be painting that picture it's already out the top 10 in the UK.
I'm not sure if 4-5 years is "somewhat quickly". FF16 will probably do the same.

I don't think the game bombed, but I also think it didn't even come close to what SE expected. If I remember correctly in one of the interviews the dev's wanted to return the game to its past glories of being a system seller, which was an absolute pipe dream.
Thank you! I didn't dream this I remember this as well. They can be happy with the current sales while also disappointed there not hitting the zeldas, God of war, elden ring, hogwarts legacy type numbers.
This game needed to rebuild confidence of the fans that FF righting the ship, which for a good chunk of gamers it did, but in the process also alienated a chunk as well due to the gameplay. I personally think they're headed in the right direction and I am looking forward what they will be presenting next, even though I am on Xbox and most likely won't get to play it unfortunately.

JaksGhost

Thank you! I didn't dream this I remember this as well. They can be happy with the current sales while also disappointed there not hitting the zeldas, God of war, elden ring, hogwarts legacy type numbers.
No YOU'RE disappointed that it hasn't hit Zelda, God of War, Elden Ring, and Hogwarts numbers. Stop conflating your dreams with their reality. Because people rooted in reality knew this wasn't going to hit 10-20 million in it's first month of release on an install base of 40+ million users. That's crack talking to you.
TOTK - 125 million user base
God of War - 150 million user base
Elden Ring - PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC
Hogwarts - PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC with a Switch port coming.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Resident Evil 4 Remake was released in March and just passed 5 million in sales 4 months later.
Resident Evil 3 Remake was released in April of 2020 and hit over 6.4 million in January 2023
Resident Evil 2 Remake was released in January of 2019 and hit 11.9 million in June 2023.

Now show me where this hit 12 million quickly?

Last edited:
No YOU'RE disappointed that it hasn't hit Zelda, God of War, Elden Ring, and Hogwarts numbers. Stop conflating your dreams with their reality. Because people rooted in reality knew this wasn't going to hit 10-20 million in it's first month of release on an install base of 40+ million users. That's crack talking to you.
TOTK - 125 million user base
God of War - 150 million user base
Elden Ring - PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC
Hogwarts - PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC with a Switch port coming.
No I'am fucking not lol. I like FF16 but I don't want square to make FF17 like FF16. I have a vested interest in it not hitting those numbers.

Yoshida has absolutely said he wants FF to be must play again that implies they want the series to hit bigger numbers. I didn't suggest for a second they expected to hit 10 to 20 million in 2 weeks that's you projecting.

20 million plus lifetime puts ot in line with other top Sony exclusives and I bet it hits nowhere near them.

Also when Spiderman 2 comes out and Obliterates these numbers where will all this chat about attach rates be I wonder!

Oh yeah Ragnarok sold 80+% of its units on PS5. It hit 11 million units in 3 months or something so 8 million on PS5 alone. Will FF16 hit that!?

JaksGhost

No I'am fucking not lol. I like FF16 but I don't want square to make FF17 like FF16. I have a vested interest in it not hitting those numbers.

Yoshida has absolutely said he wants FF to be must play again that implies they want the series to hit bigger numbers. I didn't suggest for a second they expected to hit 10 to 20 million in 2 weeks that's you projecting.

20 million plus lifetime puts ot in line with other top Sony exclusives and I bet it hits nowhere near them.

Also when Spiderman 2 comes out and Obliterates these numbers where will all this chat about attach rates be I wonder!

Oh yeah Ragnarok sold 80+% of its units on PS5. It hit 11 million units in 3 months or something so 8 million on PS5 alone. Will FF16 hit that!?
You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about huh?

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4 Remake was released in March and just passed 5 million in sales 4 months later.
Resident Evil 3 Remake was released in April of 2020 and hit over 6.4 million in January 2023
Resident Evil 2 Remake was released in January of 2019 and hit 11.9 million in June 2023.

No show me where this hit 12 million quickly?
Jesus Christ is 11.9 million not close enough!? RE7 is at 12 million.

Did you not read earlier that FF7 og took 25 Years to hit 14 million the best selling FF ever!

FF15 has only just hit 10 million units as mid 2022 and released earlier than RE7 and RE2 remake and it opened far bigger than FF16.

Resident evil is kicking FFs ass sales wise and its not even close.

Go_Ly_Dow

Now show me where this hit 12 million quickly?

Also released on a much higher install base of: PS4, PS5, Xbox series S/X and PC. Lets say around 300mil vs around 50mil?

I think if XVI released on all those platforms it probably would have hit 4-5mil week 1 without issue, considering it hit 3mil week 1 on just PS5.

Maybe on Xbox it would have only sold a few hundred thousand, but across PS4 and PC it would have sold over 1mil I think quite quickly.

Last edited:
You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about huh?
No I know exactly what I'am talking about. Square Enix or at least Yoshida want FF to be bigger why on earth wouldn't they?

They can be happy that there current sales are profitable and at same time want to do better.

JaksGhost

Jesus Christ is 11.9 million not close enough!? RE7 is at 12 million.
Resident Evil 7 was released in January of 2017 and was announced as passing 10 million in sales in October of 2021. That's over 4 years for 10 million and over 6 years for 12 million. That's with versions covering PS4, PS5, Xbox, Series S|X, PC, and Switch. Where is the quickly?! You're word choice not mine by the way.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 7 was released in January of 2017 and was announced as passing 10 million in sales in October of 2021. That's over 4 years for 10 million and over 6 years for 12 million. Where is the quickly?! You're word choice not mine by the way.
Well quicker than FF15... which is what I originally said that RE was now bigger than FF.

Go_Ly_Dow

Also released on a much higher install base of: PS4, PS5, Xbox series S/X and PC. Lets say around 300mil vs around 50mil?

I think if XVI released on all those platforms it probably would have hit 4-5mil week 1 without issue, considering it hit 3mil week 1 on just PS5.

Maybe on Xbox it would have only sold a few hundred thousand, but across PS4 and PC it would have sold over 1mil I think quite quickly.
Correction, just found out that the PS5 install base is only 38mil?!

Even more impressive to sell 3mil copies week 1 at $70 on such a small install base.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Correction, just found out that the PS5 install base is only 38mil?!

Even more impressive to sell 3mil copies week 1 at $70.

Yeah, even with the alleged pre order panic, it made sense to me. Fair number of digital only players, who gives a fuck about pre-ordering? It's not like the PSN is going to run out of copies on launch day. Especially with Square's tendency to have the pre-order bonuses up for separate purchase like a day later, anyway.

Honestly, I don't understand how IGN remains so popular. Good games get slammed by piss poor reviewers and news articles are rushed click bait at best. Their YouTube videos are some of the most pretentious shite I've witnessed since Edge magazine.

Go on IGN, give me another "10 things you (probably) didn't know about Zelda BOTW". I love clicking through 30 pages of filler with videos that play randomly somewhere on the fucking page.
IGN were the only ones with enough courage to review Hogwarts Legacy and even give it a high score so they will get a pass from me.

Madflavor

I mean when asked what else are they going to say? PR gonna PR ..

Square Enix: "It's sales didn't meet our expectations."
I believe them.

Square Enix: "We're pretty happy with this one though."
That's just PR talk.

When have Square ever been shy about their disappointment in a game's sales? It's literally a fucking meme for this company. But when they say they're happy about a game's sales, let's flip the narrative and say they're lying?

Take the L, you've been burned by J JaksGhost your "quickly" take is wrong as shown by Jaks data.

FF XVI sold well and Square Enix is very happy with it, no amount of your mental gymnastic will change it.
Oh sod off lol.

I said somewhat quickly which is ambiguous. But RE7 and RE2 remake factually sold 10 million units quicker than FF15 deal with it.

My initial comment was FF16 won't be as big as RE. Why don't you argue that as opposed crying about how long quickly might mean

Oof85

Probably. Installbase is a Nintendo forum disguissed as a sales forum
Lol not even.

The reality is that this statement didn't even address the article that spurred it, which was speaking on FF16's decline in its domestic market.

SE drops a pr statement speaking about the worldwide performance is pretty much bog standard pr speak, something most people jeer and ridicule when we most often hear it, ie coming from politician's mouths.

Nobody said FF16 flopped, the conversation across the web has been largely focused on if the rest of the world will pick up the slack to offset the decline seen in Japan.

And time will tell, since nobody knows as of now, be it the agenda'd detractors or cheerleaders.

Installbase:"In Japan it launched at basically half of what the prior mainline title did on ps4, the decline is evident. Time will tell in regards to its legs domestically and if the rest of the world picks up the slack..."

SE:" We are very pleased with the global launch sales of FF16, considering userbase size and blah blah blah."

Other people:" See, they came out and said it did well and they're pleased with it's performance! Doomposters gfy!"

Ib:" That's not even what we've been talking about tho..."

Hilarity.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Square Enix has insisted sales of Final Fantasy 16 are “extremely strong”, telling IGN the game has sold well relative to the PlayStation 5 install base.
“Square Enix considers the initial sales results of Final Fantasy 16 to be extremely strong, and we will continue to carry out a wide range of initiatives to encourage even more people to play the game.”
IGN sources familiar with the performance of Final Fantasy 16 confirmed sales had slowed considerably since launch but that the game was not yet considered the disaster some claimed it to be.
For three days following the launch, Final Fantasy 16 was the second-highest PS5 title by daily active users globally, just falling short of FIFA 23 but surpassing the likes of Fortnite and Call of Duty. By the end of the month it had dropped to fourth place but seemed to have stabilised, maintaining a lead ahead of big live service titles such as Diablo 4, NBA 2K 23, and GTA 5.
“Final Fantasy 16 was launched into market conditions that were quite different compared to those of previous franchise releases like FF7R and FF15, so comparisons are problematic,” Wooldridge explained.

“For example, FF16 is a PS5 exclusive, and it launched earlier in the PS5 lifecycle than FF7R did in the PS4 lifecycle. When the PS5 active installed base is less than 40m globally, sales of three million are certainly not poor.

“This may be below Square Enix’s expectations, but the launch environment and Mature rating of the game do limit its potential somewhat. Given the success achieved by Yoshi-P in turning around Final Fantasy 14, I imagine expectations were particularly high.

Interesting.

I mean when asked what else are they going to say? PR gonna PR ..
LMAO they publicly said when they felt the Tomb Raider games underperformed expectations, and then they sold the entirety of their Western studios to Embracer because they weren't happy with the performance of those studios.

In general, Square Enix are pretty honest with their evaluations of product performance. Since they are a publicly traded company on the Japanese stock market they can't really hide or lie about results because that's all publicly disclosed quarterly.

Ozzie666

It's obviously not selling like it used to in Japan on Playstation, currently sub 400k. Yes install base isn't huge, but still.

Three

Relative to the install base? FF15 sold 5 million in one day with a install base of around 70 million (although likely 80% on PS4, so 4 million first day on a install base of 47 million), FF16 sold 3 million in one week with a install base of 40 million.

So it certainly appears to be a sales drop compared to the previous entry, although still very much a sales success (although perhaps not as much as what Square hoped for).
FF15 shipped 5 Million to stores on multiple platforms. It didn't sell that many in 1 day even on a bigger install base. Can we stop with this.

Some people are so invested in this game succeeding they'll jump thru hoops to convince themselves it's a good game and is doing well.

The developer/publisher of the game themselves tell you the game is doing extremely well so people who are interested in the game succeeding don't really have to try that hard.....

Three

Logic would dictate that VIIR-2 and VIIR-3 will sell less than the first. Any direct story sequel will.

Maybe the sequels convince more people to start on part 1 that haven't bought it, and probably also sell some trilogy packs for cheaper but I'd expect each one is less than the first, like X-2, XIII-2, XIII-LR.
Keep in mind that VIIR-1 was on PS+ so the sequel can end up with more sales than it if it got more people interested than those who bought the first. It's a little more complicated now when it comes to direct story sequels and sales because they don't necessarily have to have bought the first.

Last edited:

Oof85

The developer/publisher of the game themselves tell you the game is doing extremely well so people who are interested in the game succeeding don't really have to try that hard.....
"Square Enix considers the initial sales results of Final Fantasy 16 to be extremely strong"

That's what they said. They feel it launched very well.

That doesn't speak to how it's legs are doing, be they good or bad.

You're saying something that they SE have not said themselves.

ByWatterson

I'm so confused by this meta-conversation.

It sold very well pleasing Square. It will move PS5s, pleasing Sony. It's awesome. End of analysis.

Last edited:
"Square Enix considers the initial sales results of Final Fantasy 16 to be extremely strong"

That's what they said. They feel it launched very well.

That doesn't speak to how it's legs are doing, be they good or bad.

You're saying something that they SE have not said themselves.

Not gonna argue the difference between "doing extremely well" and "extremely strong". It's not that serious. SE seems pleased so far so I'm not interested in all the "yeah, buts".

YukiOnna

Good to hear from Square Enix saying that. If they think so, then it surely performed as they are hoping since they publicly announced the 3M, as well. I think it'll probably end up around a strong 5-6M. They also announced a Takarazuka Stage Play for it, which is quite a big deal.

FF's AAA future and reputation should be secured here, which was a goal.

People really want this to be a flop huh?
Yes. I mean the game has some minor issue to me but some people truly believe it is one of the worse Final Fantasy ever. They must have never try type-0. They believe it is their sacred duty to enure the game fail. It is ok to not like the game but ti is not ok but they will do everything, including lying to made sure as few people buy the game as possible.

Top Bottom