• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix says sales of Final Fantasy 16 are “extremely strong”, telling IGN the game has sold well relative to the PS5 install base

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For now I'm waiting to see how FFVII:Rebirth will do, and the next real update on FFXVI sales data (as in actual sales numbers) before drawing conclusions. FFVII:Remake had the ending controversy, but for the most part was very well received. We'll see if that positive reception will carry over to good sales for Rebirth.
I'm hoping it will do well and I think FF7R is supposed to be a 3 part deal. So Remake, Rebirth, and R????.

Hopefully people go in not expecting a FF7 Remake. Huge miscommunication between fans and the devs.

Kilau

Square is never happy with sales, so if they say they are pleased it must have sold 100 million.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm hoping it will do well and I think FF7R is supposed to be a 3 part deal. So Remake, Rebirth, and R????.

Hopefully people go in not expecting a FF7 Remake. Huge miscommunication between fans and the devs.
Logic would dictate that VIIR-2 and VIIR-3 will sell less than the first. Any direct story sequel will.

Maybe the sequels convince more people to start on part 1 that haven't bought it, and probably also sell some trilogy packs for cheaper but I'd expect each one is less than the first, like X-2, XIII-2, XIII-LR.

Madflavor

At this point it's pretty well established that this is some kind of Remake/Sequel hybrid. Whatever controversy that comes our way will be related to whether whatever story changes they make is well received or not.

I'm a great and powerful psychic, and I foresee them not having Aerith die. This will cause a divide between fans.

Metnut

Square has not been shy in the past to state when they are disappointed with sales for one of their games. They seem pleased here and by all accounts, the game is selling really well for a PS5 exclusive and coming off of FF15 which sold well but was poorly received by most gamers.

It’s likely up to 4M now which is $280M. You have to imagine Sony’s cut of that is less than 30% given the exclusivity deal they worked out.

If you’re an FF fan and are on the fence, I recommend going for it and getting the game. It’s excellent and really scratches the FF itch.

Last edited:

Neilg

Logic would dictate that VIIR-2 and VIIR-3 will sell less than the first. Any direct story sequel will.

There's also the fact that it's current-gen only. they could get double the attach rate of the first and it would still sell less.

10% of all ps5 owners picking up a game in its launch week is a good number. If sony hadnt been willing to foot the bill to cover the difference, they'd have struggled to justify making it current-gen only.
all-time highs are only in the 15-20% range, and those are real anomalies (zelda on switch/first 6 months of console life/gta5's shark card grift to pad unit sales).
This might be the highest attach rate ever achieved almost 3 years into a console's life, even the biggest selling games don't break 5%

Launch week all-time high records start at 11m for gta5, and quickly drop to the 4-5m range. 3m on an install base that's 1/4 the size (more for multi platforms) is very notable.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Alright, I messed up a bit with the God of War 2018 comparison. Still...

Horizon Zero Dawn was release in early 2017 when the user base was under 60M.
Uncharted 4 was released in early 2016 when the user base was close to 40M.
Infamous Second Son was released in early 2014 when the user base was closer to 15M.

All of those games seem to have performed significantly better, relative to their console user base, than FFXVI.

There are too many examples of games doing exceptionally well when the console they're attached to is under 40M. Final Fantasy has slowly been melting for a while now. It doesn't have the wide appeal it once did. That shouldn't be a controversial statement.

The reason why the install base argument is flawed, is because the most hardcore, lucrative gamers buy these consoles first. The first 40 million PS5 sales are not the same as the last 40 million PS5 sales. The later group is generally a more casual audience.
Could be wrong but when I look at the numbers for uncharted and horizon, first week ff16 did better?

Both went on to sell 15mil and 20 mil respectively, so I don't know why people want to call ff16 a failure so quickly after it comes out even after square enix themselves called the performance"extremely strong". This is all while ignoring how much competition so far this year for players time on Playstation compared to what Horizon and uncharted 4 faced. Also shouldn't ignore the higher price tag for ff16.

It is funny, a game like octopath traveller 2, which is a turn based classic rpg took until june to reach 1 million copies on a huge install base, doing worse than its predecessor and not one peep out of people.

Guaranteed square looks at that and thinks it did the right moves with ff16

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Could be wrong but when I look at the numbers for uncharted and horizon, first week ff16 did better?

Both went on to sell 15mil and 20 mil respectively, so I don't know why people want to call ff16 a failure so quickly after it comes out even after square enix themselves called the performance"extremely strong". This is all while ignoring how much competition so far this year for players time on Playstation compared to what Horizon and uncharted 4 faced and also the higher price tag for ff16

It is funny, a game like octopath traveller 2, which is a turn base classic rpg took until june to reach 1 million copies on a huge install base, doing worse than its predecessor and not one peep out of people.

Guaranteed square looks at that and thinks it did the right moves with ff16

You could be right.

I tend to think Final Fantasy has a mid size, rabid fanbase, and not much outside of that. Horizon and Uncharted feel like games that are much better at attracting the fence sitters than FFXVI. We will see. I'm not holding my breath on Squares "10 million FFXVI sales" announcement". I could be wrong.

Spitfire098

3ydxdy.png

Vognerful

I say for those who are still doubting these statements to wait for their financial quarter review to hear their statements to shareholders.

Go_Ly_Dow

PS5 Slim should sell very well if it comes in at a $399 entry price and that'll give the install base a decent boost over the course of this year.

More will play this game I'm sure.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Game is fun as fuck, and written by a team that actually understands written language and how people actually feel and behave.

If you're in the camp that thinks a franchise is only relevant if it's on every platform, on a streaming service, has a mix of black to white at 7:1, and has a script filled with contemporary memes and lectern speak to be successful, well then...Final Fantasy has never been for you, and the argument that it's bad because it isn't a completely different game is....kek

Keep speculating that 3 mil in like the first week is bad sales optics, I'm gonna kick it in Valisthea in the meantime. Deuces.

Poplin

this has always been the story, glad its finally being heard.

Every comparison to past games doesnt factor where the games launched:

FF15 - Xbox and PS launch at peak install base for Gen 8
FF7R - PS only, naturally will sell less than 15, and because it came out at the end of Gen 8/beginning of Gen 9 you had hold offs
FF16 - PS5 only in year 3, install base is a fraction of the base that 15 launched into

This is why attach rate matters - what share of the available players did the game attract. FF16 did very well, the attach rate is remarkable for a third party title.

Go_Ly_Dow

Game is fun as fuck, and written by a team that actually understands written language and how people actually feel and behave.

If you're in the camp that thinks a franchise is only relevant if it's on every platform, on a streaming service, has a mix of black to white at 7:1, and has a script filled with contemporary memes and lectern speak to be successful, well then...Final Fantasy has never been for you, and the argument that it's bad because it isn't a completely different game is....kek

Keep speculating that 3 mil in like the first week is bad sales optics, I'm gonna kick it in Valisthea in the meantime. Deuces.
Yup. Clive, Cid and Dion in particular are dope.

I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed side characters like Gav, Tarja, Otto etc...

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yup. Clive in particular is dope.

I haven't even scraped much past the first Hideaway visit (busy month) but I agree, in Spades. Recruiting someone with theater background, who ALSO happens to be a big fan of the franchise, was an awesome call. You can really see in interviews and podcasts how much reverence and passion he has for the franchise and role.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn was release in early 2017 when the user base was under 60M.
Uncharted 4 was released in early 2016 when the user base was close to 40M.
Infamous Second Son was released in early 2014 when the user base was closer to 15M.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I bend the knee.

The fact that they're planning to do future FFXVI content shows me that I am indeed wrong. I still think I'm 1% correct, but I'm 99% wrong. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

I'm surprised no dissenters have taken the "They turned XIII into a Trilogy because they didn't make enough money, so they asset flipped to hell and back and that's totally what's happening with XVI DLC," yet.

You're welcome for the idea, haters, give me gold.

skit_data

Hmm.. a little throwback:

What is it with this guy exactly? This is like -I'm not joking- the third or fourth time he's reporting or stating stuff that seems to be wildly off in regards to Playstation related stuff.
Did Kaz Hirai piss in his morning cereal or something?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm surprised no dissenters have taken the "They turned XIII into a Trilogy because they didn't make enough money, so they asset flipped to hell and back and that's totally what's happening with XVI DLC," yet.

You're welcome for the idea, haters, give me gold.
XIII-2 and LR held the company together and were made on the cheap just to get something out the door. Every other major console project cratered during development, like XIV, KH3, VsXIII. XIII-2 and LR were definitely not big sellers, but the costs were kept down too so it was probably better than nothing.

XIII was definitely profitable just from the 1st game alone. It sold really well.

NT80

PS5 exclusive and a very high price point. Seems to be doing really well considering those factors.

Myths

Before no DLC, now rumored there could be …

XVII will do worse again, whenever it comes. I'm a series fan and XVI was another disappointment and will be the last time I go in on launch day / full price for an FF game, unless it's a honest to goodness back to basics turn / ATB based game like I through X (which I seriously doubt).

Yeah, I’ll be skipping that entry the same way I skipped XV. Now if it’s anything like XII, put me on.

Last edited:
Honestly, $70 for a game is fine. Hell, I have the deluxe edition for $100 and it is fine for me. I like the game; it is not perfect, but i find the time i spend in it very enjoyable, then again i am someoen who think star ocean 6 is fine. Honestly... I do not believe if the game is priced at $60 it would attract more sale.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FWIW I was very disappointed in some aspects of the game (boring side quests, boring filler between the story missions, pointless crafting system, boring weapons/armor that only give a few % atk/def increases and don’t change how you play)

But I’m still glad it’s doing well. When it’s good, it’s really fucking good. Battle system is fun and the boss/Eikon battles are some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game.

Hoping they take the criticism to heart and give us a XVI-2 with all the boring shit removed, better loot, customizable party members, etc. it has a lot of potential.

I bend the knee.

The fact that they're planning to do future FFXVI content shows me that I am indeed wrong. I still think I'm 1% correct, but I'm 99% wrong. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.
No Men in Boxes we need you leading the counter attack!

I will take the reins then😃.

This game has sold fine not amazing and obviously not bad it's done enough to probably be profitable already and justify dlc blah blah.

BUT! It's not the mega hit Square obviously want it to be. When all is said and done it won't be at God of war, Horizon or even resident evil level.

All this BS about attach rates etc ain't gone change that.

And Square fucking want it to be that big why on earth wouldn't they? Yoshida was banging on about how FF was no longer a must buy any more and this game was attempting to change that.

Well news flash it hasn't. It sold enough to be profitable and to justify Sqaure faffing about with this franchise for another 5 years not really committing to anything.

And yes I have a vested interest in Future FFs not being like FF16 fucking sue me!

yazenov

One point people are missing is that big exclusive games such as Final Fantasy, a long-lasting, storied, and adored franchise released early in the console life cycle are extremely valuable assets to the console manufacturers. It will undoubtedly add value to the console and help to sell a lot of units for Sony.

SE and Sony aren't just looking into the sales of the game, but also the sales of the PS5 as well. Killing 2 birds with one stone if you will.

For Square-Enix exclusivity (including the delay of the potential PC version), Sony's main objective was to increase the sales of the PS5 by adding value to the console with exclusive games. Sony should have already compensated Square-Enix handsomely for the contributions. A win-win situation for both parties.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No Men in Boxes we need you leading the counter attack!

I will take the reins then😃.

This game has sold fine not amazing and obviously not bad it's done enough to probably be profitable already and justify dlc blah blah.

BUT! It's not the mega hit Square obviously want it to be. When all is said and done it won't be at God of war, Horizon or even resident evil level.

All this BS about attach rates etc ain't gone change that.

And Square fucking want it to be that big why on earth wouldn't they? Yoshida was banging on about how FF was no longer a must buy any more and this game was attempting to change that.

Well news flash it hasn't. It sold enough to be profitable and to justify Sqaure faffing about with this franchise for another 5 years not really committing to anything.

And yes I have a vested interest in Future FFs not being like FF16 fucking sue me!

Alright! I'm back on board!

FFXVI will slide to a halt at ~8 million units sold, it'll be heavily discounted starting in 2024 and it will ultimately be classified as a lukewarm success! God, this feels good.

It's the Days Gone of the PS5 generation. Shake things up at Square! Give the reins to the younger generation! Mainline Final Fantasy is in limbo!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One point people are missing is that big exclusive games such as Final Fantasy, a long-lasting, storied, and adored franchise released early in the console life cycle are extremely valuable assets to the console manufacturers. It will undoubtfully add value to the console and help to sell a lot of units for Sony.

SE and Sony aren't just looking into the sales of the game, but also the sales of the PS5 as well. Killing 2 birds with one stone if you will.

For Square Enix exclusivity (including the delay of the potential PC version), Sony's main objective was to increase the sales of the PS5 by adding value to the console with exclusive games. Sony should have already compensated Square-Enix handsomely for the contributions. A win-win situation for both parties.
It's a system seller series for probably 2-3 million people, for sure. Vocal people that shift console perception.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

It's a system seller series for probably 2-3 million people, for sure. Vocal people that shift console perception.
Well if lets say there are 3mil diehard FF fans that would buy a PS5 for a new mainline FF game, then at $500 per console thats $1.5bil in revenue for Sony. As well as income from the game and lifecycle income from new PS5 owners subcribing to PSN and buying other games. Hypothetical again, but if lets say Sony gave S-E $50mil for exclusivity for the game, then that would be a great investment for them. Maybe it was more than $50mil, or maybe less.

I can see this game going on to sell 5-6mil on PS5 and maybe more. It will probably hit somewhere around 4-5mil by the end of this year.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well if lets say there are 3mil diehard FF fans that would buy a PS5 for a new mainline FF game, then at $500 per console thats $1.5bil in revenue for Sony. As well as income from the game and lifecycle income from new PS5 owners subcribing to PSN and buying other games. Hypothetical again, but if lets say Sony gave S-E $50mil for exclusivity for the game, then that would be a great investment for them.

I can see this game going on to sell 5-6mil on PS5. It will probably hit somewhere around 4-5mil by the end of this year.
They've always seen it as a system seller, since FFVII. They advertised Versus XIII before it even started development to try and kickstart sales in Japan. It's clearly valuable for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Since we are talking about sales, let's take about revenue as well.

FF7 Remake: 3.5 million x $60 = 210 million
FF16 : 3 million x$70 = 210 million

So in terms of dollar sales, FF16 generated the same revenue as FF7 Remake on a much smaller userbase.

I'm sure SE is pleased with these results.

Maybe the best point I've ever heard about the sales of FF16.

Go_Ly_Dow

They've always seen it as a system seller, since FFVII. They advertised Versus XIII before it even started development to try and kickstart sales in Japan. It's clearly valuable for them.
Indeed, also I think as a collective, making sure your platform can secure the likes of: FF, Yakuza, KH, DQ, Persona, NieR, Tales etc... will lock in the wider JRPG crowd which is sizeable and vocal. Its an important crowd that's predominantly locked in on Playstation over Xbox.

Xbox tried hard to win that crowd during the 360 gen but ultimately failed, depsite initially it looking like it may succeed.

Top Bottom