• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 sales results were in the range of their expectations, feel the penetration of PS5 performance was quite good.

Three

5/10 game sells poorly. Go figure.
confused-wth.gif

ProtoByte

They wanted to sell 20m copies in a week, they arent getting that with FF unless they release toi all platforms or wait 6 years
FF has never reached those numbers.

If they want to sell to that extent, they're gonna have to change their design models from what you'd see on the PS2.

Freeman76

Good. Take notes from Larian you mongs. Not everyone wants the RPG removed from an RPG.

I love the FF series but aint buying a FF skinned Devil My Cry game. It should have been a spin off. It's like EA making a Rugby game and calling it Fifa because they both use a ball.

Mr Hyde

I remember when the 2013 reboot Tomb Raider sold almost 10 million copies and SE said it underperformed. I think SE are crazy.

I remember this too. It was baffling to see them come out and say this when it was obvious the game was a smash hit. Imagine selling almost 10 million units and say it underperformed. Upper management at SE in those days were probably hitting too hard on the pipes. Maybe they still are.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Exclusive to one platform
Moves away from everything that made FF

Square-Enix :
surprised-pikachu.gif

Poor Eidos who got dragged into this piss poor management for so many years.
I dunno… personally I thought the game kind of sucked but I’m not convinced how much either of those things mattered.

PlayStation timed exclusivity has always been the case for mainline Final Fantasy games.

And the demo impressions + reviews were very positive. Seems like it’s only a vocal minority who’s really upset about breaking from tradition.

Seems to me more like this story is bullshit and/or Square Enix had some unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

Hudo

Now can we get a new mainline Ivalice game? Take Hiroyuki Ito out of the closet, hire Matsuno for the project and get Sakimoto and Yoshida.
Yoshi-P can bring the coffee and Nomura can write something for the website or so.

Good. Take notes from Larian you mongs. Not everyone wants the RPG removed from an RPG.

I love the FF series but aint buying a FF skinned Devil My Cry game. It should have been a spin off. It's like EA making a Rugby game and calling it Fifa because they both use a ball.
Same. Game doesn't feel like the Final Fantasy I grew up with.

I just believe it would be the correct thing to do. Then let people decide if it's valid or not.

It's Bloomberg Takashi. When it comes to PlayStation-related stuff, nothing he says is valid. It's so bad Sony have outright debunked his claims. Twice.

I'd get your POV if Takashi were a journalist who reported in good faith and had an otherwise respectable track record, but neither of those things are the case when it comes to Sony (specifically, PlayStation) content.

he gets the clicks and ad revenue from his news posted here
in the end he wins

No he doesn't. I don't click on his article links. At most I'll just trash him in his Twitter posts. But that isn't bringing a click to his website.

Making a proper FF game and releasing on more platforms would have helped. But you can't do this AND get Sony's money.

SF6 released on more platforms and has sold less than FF XVI. In fact Xbox was the lowest-performing platform for the game, and by a large margin.

Multiplat != more sales, by default. Or at least more sales to make up for the porting and optimization costs in time & money.

cireza

SF6 released on more platforms and has sold less than FF XVI.
They are totally comparable of course lol. They are probably paying the price of making the previous game exclusive on top of this for SF6.

And you know perfectly well that Xbox + PC, dare I say Switch, would have significantly boosted sales.

I am expecting an improved version to be released later for them to try and fix some issues people had with XVI as it is.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I wonder if word of mouth about the actual game deflated the demo hype.
Combat being action based and my perception of 12, 13 and 15 had me deflated. Release hype and word of mouth had a positive effect, but it wasn't enough to sway me day 1.

This "journalist" clown again?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

My pet theory is that this game did start as a spinoff and would’ve been a much shorter linear action game. Then they decided to expand it into a full mainline FF game, and all the other stuff (exploration zones, side quests, item creation, all the between-mission filler shit) was mainly added so they could justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI

As a big FF fan since the early 90s I was totally on board with the action combat and GoT-inspired story. But what ruined it is that the RPG elements and basically everything except the cutscenes/boss fights was so damn bland and half baked. You can just tell which parts all devs’ passion/creativity went to, and which parts they just phoned it in.

wvnative

My pet theory is that this game did start as a spinoff and would’ve been a much shorter linear action game. Then they decided to expand it into a full mainline FF game, and all the other stuff (exploration zones, side quests, item creation, all the between-mission filler shit) was mainly added so they could justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI

As a big FF fan since the early 90s I was totally on board with the action combat and GoT-inspired story. But what ruined it is that the RPG elements and basically everything except the cutscenes/boss fights was so damn bland and half baked. You can just tell which parts all devs’ passion/creativity went to, and which parts they just phoned it in.
I liked the game but it absolutely has big budget spin off vibes throughout, so I highly suspect this is accurate.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sooooooo.....how many copies did FFXVI sell?
Ridiculous question. The important thing to note is that it was within expectations, and SQEX never said "hope" in Japanese even once. It sold more than Aliens Dark Descent, which was a multiplatform game like Street Fighter 6. Boom, close the thread, arrest Tim Bloomberg and put Eurogamer on the list of banned sites. P.S. Fuck you Pikmin 4.

They are totally comparable of course lol. They are probably paying the price of making the previous game exclusive on top of this for SF6.

Why would SFV skipping Xbox affect the number of paying customers for SF6 on the platform? Either they want the game or they don't, anybody with an Xbox last gen that wanted to play SFV either got a PS4 to play it or got it on PC, and I highly doubt they would have chosen a Series S or X over PS5 this gen for fighting games considering where that market was leaning, unless they are just stupid.

And by that I mean willingly choosing an Xbox over a PlayStation on expectation of that being your fighting game hub. In no gen has Xbox ever had that type of presence for the genre, even the 360 era, where it was arguably the closest. It's kind of like buying a PlayStation in lieu of an Xbox if you expect it as your hub for all big WRPG releases, since games like Starfield, TES VI, and likely Fallout 5 won't be on PS consoles (at least not for some years after initial release).

And you know perfectly well that Xbox + PC, dare I say Switch, would have significantly boosted sales.

SFV was on PC from Day 1. Going by SF6 sales (specifically, on Xbox), SFV on XBO wouldn't have done much for sales. I agree a Switch port would've probably given a big boost, but that's kind of on Capcom post-2019.

I am expecting an improved version to be released later for them to try and fix some issues people had with XVI as it is.

Well other FF games have gotten re-releases with some changes and additional content, so this wouldn't be surprising.

Allegedly, 20% of Final Fantasy 15's sales were on the Xbox One.

FF sells way more elsewhere but it's still a decent amount of sales being left on the table, assuming future games would have a similar cut

Those were launch copies, not lifetime. It's similar to people claiming the (very early) Xbox percentages for Elden Ring as if that's the percentage for lifetime sales, when that is not the case.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ridiculous question. The important thing to note is that it was within expectations, and SQEX never said "hope" in Japanese even once. It sold more than Aliens Dark Descent, which was a multiplatform game like Street Fighter 6. Boom, close the thread, arrest Tim Bloomberg and put Eurogamer on the list of banned sites. P.S. Fuck you Pikmin 4.
Aliens is a very niche franchise. It was never going to sell all that great. Not sure what it has to do with FFXVI. I'm only interested in a concrete number. Can't seem to get a concise answer. Best Alien game is still Isolation. For Aliens it's probably AvP2.

----------------

Pretty sure FFXVI was pooling some of FFXIV's budget(likely the revenue of the Mog Station cash shop) and wouldn't surprise me if that's why half of XIV's staff got shifted to work on it.

It's a ok action game. It sold pretty well I guess? 3million+ on one platform. That's not terrible.

As for being a good Final Fantasy game? I don't think so. Game shares a lot of flaws with FFXIV. But only a FFXIV player will spot these.

Kind of tired of talking about FFXVI though. The discussion around it is aging like milk. And I imagine by time it rolls around on PC people will be gearing up for Dawntrail or playing FFVII Rebirth anyway?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’ve bounced hard off Final Fantasy games in the past, but this… this game….

Very very fun. Granted some of cutscenes and dialog is long in the tooth, but if Final Fantasy continues like this, I’m in.

Kerotan

Fabulous news that it met the average expectations and even more fabulous that it's all profits from here on out. PlayStation X FF continues to be a prosperous partnership.

I think they were clearly hoping for at least FF7R sales. And no, I don't buy the penetration excuse. But sales are high enough that they don't consider it a bust.

FF7R IIRC sold very poorly on PC but I imagine they will port it anyway... and it will sell poorly.

Zuzu

If it didn’t sell well then that’s on them (though it seems it sold decently well). The game is very flawed and going by this forum and elsewhere on the internet quite a few of us found it just flat out not fun for very large portions of the run time.

Their marketing seemed good with the demo so I don’t think you can blame it too much on that. So either people aren’t interested in the concept of it and/or it’s got something about it that turns people off. Well it’s large sections of boring gameplay might be a contributing factor to bad sales.

cireza

Why would SFV skipping Xbox affect the number of paying customers for SF6 on the platform?
That's because you don't understand Sony's communication strategy. Their aim is to create a context where SF = PS even though SF gets released on other consoles. They have worked like this since 1995 by the way.

This is why they bought EVO and forced tournaments on PS4 despite the abysmal port of USF4 (that had to go back to being played on 360 by the way). Back then people knew that 360 was the superior platform for fighting games, so they bought their place in that market.

With the notion SF = PS now implanted in people minds, they don't feel a need to pay for SF6 again, which is completely logical. People are going so skip Xbox anyway now, so why pay ? Casuals will buy the game so at least there's that for Capcom. Sony will only pay when they feel that the market might slightly shift again towards competition.

When your game is exclusive, you are not fighting against your main competitors on the platforms that you skip as well. So you are losing market share.

Making exclusive a multiplatform series that is a main source of benefits is always super risky for a third party. I think that Capcom are paying the price, and Square Enix as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom