• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is not playing with box art these days.

Valedix

Just something i’ve noticed while pre ordering all 12 of their upcoming games. Makes me wish i still bought physical games

ef83af594afe64fa47b3b5f2fb1284ff_KR_700.jpg

pake-ps5.png

3max_8b1b0761-efe2-47e1-a17c-a801f99010ec_497x619.jpg

98a34e70be10705dc878c0aff150375c_KR_700.jpg
I mean you can still buy physical games 😂

Pantz

They're ok, not that special to me. Bunch of character artwork stuck together seems pretty common. The Triangle Strategy one looks the best from the first page.

fatmarco

Call me a bore if you will, but the minimalist PS1/PS2 box arts were the GOAT:

iu
Final Fantasy VII (1997) PlayStation box cover art - MobyGames
Final Fantasy VIII (1999) box cover art - MobyGames
Final Fantasy IX (2000) PlayStation box cover art - MobyGames

Simple as you can get, but effective enough to make them stand out amongst all the other games on store shelves. Product confidence in box form.
To be fair this was when Final Fantasy was a truly elite franchise, when you could even sell the games for higher than standard RRP.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Real talk

How many of these can I buy on switch and/or series x?
Diofield Chronicle
Dragon Quest Treasures
Nier Automata
Harvestella
Tactics Ogre
Crisis Core

All coming to the Switch. All getting physical releases.

iu

Simple as you can get, but effective enough to make them stand out amongst all the other games on store shelves. Product confidence in box form.
I love the old FF's and how Square would have a specific symbol to base a lot of the artwork/boxart around, i.e. Meteor for VII, Mechs for VI, etc. I know they still do that, but it just doesnt seem the same

chriskun

Too bad the tone, in-game art, and voice acting don't match the gravitas of that artwork, at least for all the 2dHD games.

Labadal

People complaining about cool art for covers, and completely different typ of graphics style on the cover: It always showed screenshots of the games on the back. There is no readon one would not know how it looked from packaging.

iu

I'm right there with you, buddy. Old Squaresoft covers had some great taste in graphic design. The minimalist logo for the FF series lend it a touch of enigma and played with your imagination. It didn't give much away about the game other than just a hint.

Last edited:
I wish they'd use the witch from Agni's Philosophy instead. I'm not really a fan of actors in video games.
Think of it this way, they seemed to really want a western actress to play the role so they could have it stand out from the typical look that Agni's protagonist has(when in comparison to SE's other protagonists). At least they didn't wheel out Laura Bailey, Ashley Burch, or Jennifer Hale for the millionth time to play a main character 🤷🏻‍♂️.

cireza

Let me get this STRAIGHT.

I am standing there, in a place that makes no sense with fog everywhere, that I would most certainly not call Earth.
I have a ridiculous cuff that shines from nowhere and makes no sense. And you can't tell it from the picture, but the thing talks as if it was a book from Nier Replicant, because of how uninspired the developers were.
I am bored as fuck, nothing of interest in happening anywhere. See this as a testimony of the 100 hours people are going to spend in my shitty game.
I am not sitting on a chair because the damn phonograph couldn't even provide a fucking chair.
Square-Enix really doesn't joke with cover artwork, I can tell you that much.

Please, play my game, otherwise I will lose my job. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom