• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix AAA games in Development

Manji Uzuki

I guess the new FF project Sancta is the rumoured FFXVI with Naoki Yoshida as director (as Kitase and Nomura will be with FFVII Remake 2).

That Dragon Quest III Remake could be that new Dai no Daibouken game announced? Not sure if it was ever stated who is doing the game. That manga series was mainly based on Dragon Quest III so seems too much of a coincidence.

This is why I am happy I haven't take part 1. And why I am sad they went for episodic.
Waiting 2030 to play the full game

When do you think we'll get the final God of War game, 2070? Here I thought they completed the episodic trilogy with GOW3 and then they release God of War PS4, when will I get to play the full game? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Murr

What is the point of remaking an old Dragon Quest Title?
I mean you are the Hero of Light and Defeat the evil Villain of Darkness at the end. Put some modern Graphics and good turn based Combat and call it Dragon Quest XII....

Erdrick

What is the point of remaking an old Dragon Quest Title?
I mean you are the Hero of Light and Defeat the evil Villain of Darkness at the end. Put some modern Graphics and good turn based Combat and call it Dragon Quest XII....

It will print money in Japan. It's the most popular game in the series and considering what happens in DQ11, it makes perfect sense to follow with this one being remade while 12 is being developed.

I can't wait, assuming this is happening. To see DQ3 again looking with the visuals on par with DQ11? It'll be one to remember, for sure. To be honest though, I kind of think they would just remake the entire first trilogy using DQ11's engine. They already did a bit of 3 in it as a test after all...

Time will tell. I'll buy it day one, of course. :messenger_winking:

NahaNago

Thinking about how few manline FFs we've had since 12. They fucked up so bad.

I agree but at the same time we've had like 6 mainline FFs (mmo included) in 16ish years (FF9 released in 2000 and FF15 in 2016). That doesn't even include all of the spinoffs we've had for these games. My issue has mostly been the quality of the games they've really gone down hill since 12 unfortunately.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well the post was removed

DelireMan7

When do you think we'll get the final God of War game, 2070? Here I thought they completed the episodic trilogy with GOW3 and then they release God of War PS4, when will I get to play the full game? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Haven't play much of God of War (only the 3 I think) so can't tell if you're serious or not.

But if you try to say that sequels/reboot are similar to a remake in several episode of an old game, let me tell you that I found completely unrelated...

• Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 – first quarter of 2023 – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Windows.
  • Final Fantasy Project Sancta (Unreal Engine 5, ARPG) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X.
  • Dragon Quest III Remake – fourth quarter of 2022 – PlayStation 5.
  • NieR: Replicant 1.5 – Second quarter of 2021 (Platinum Engine) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows.
  • Kingdom Hearts Project OATH – first quarter of 2022 (Unreal Engine 4, ARPG) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia.
  • Kingdom Hearts Untitled Project – no date (Unreal Engine 5, ARPG) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X.
  • Babylon’s Fall – first quarter of 2021 (Platinum Engine) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
  • Tomb Raider: Eclipse – 2021 – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Stadia.
  • Project Traveler – 2021 (Unreal Engine 4) – Nintendo Switch.
  • Life is Strange 3 – no date (Unreal Engine 5) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Linux, MacOS.
  • Just Cause 5 – 2022 (Apex Engine) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Windows.
  • Outriders – 2021 – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows.
  • 2 new IP AAA.
The list now makes a little more sense after the reveal of UE5:unsure:

I'll wait for the eventual FF7 Remake compilation. Very interested to see what DQ3 Remake looks like. I really don't care for Tomb Raider anymore. And yeah, that's about it.

Haven't play much of God of War (only the 3 I think) so can't tell if you're serious or not.

But if you try to say that sequels/reboot are similar to a remake in several episode of an old game, let me tell you that I found completely unrelated...

You lack the basic understanding of how this works. First do yourself a favor and stop calling it "episodic", it's not, unless you want to call every sequel episodic. Episodic would be something like "Life is Strange", FF7R is closer to GoW or anything of similar structure than you think. You call God of War a reboot but you can't accept FF7R as a reboot? Seems your lack of reason has blinded your sense of judgment, either that or you're only kidding yourself thinking they're the same game as the old game, following the same rules. Bringing up the old game as your argument is irrelevant, Reboots have their own identity, "Final Fantasy" is just a name, "7" is just a number, "Remake" is just a term, combine them together you get a new game only sharing similarities to the original but following it's own rules. So in that sense, FF7R and GoW are not so unrelated after all, they share the same sequel structure, like it or not.

DelireMan7

You lack the basic understanding of how this works. First do yourself a favor and stop calling it "episodic", it's not, unless you want to call every sequel episodic. Episodic would be something like "Life is Strange", FF7R is closer to GoW or anything of similar structure than you think. You call God of War a reboot but you can't accept FF7R as a reboot? Seems your lack of reason has blinded your sense of judgment, either that or you're only kidding yourself thinking they're the same game as the old game, following the same rules. Bringing up the old game as your argument is irrelevant, Reboots have their own identity, "Final Fantasy" is just a name, "7" is just a number, "Remake" is just a term, combine them together you get a new game only sharing similarities to the original but following it's own rules. So in that sense, FF7R and GoW are not so unrelated after all, they share the same sequel structure, like it or not.

Ok... Again haven't play the Remake. So the story is completely new and you have an entire story told in the "first part" ? If yes then my apologies, it's a reboot.

Otherwise, if the story is the same and they just giving you the beginning in the first episode (I think it's Square Enix who told it was episodic) for me it's completely different than a reboot or even a sequel.

A reboot will tell a different version/story of another game.
A sequel will expand an universe of an already finished story.
An episode is a part of a bigger story. And you need to play (read or watch for book and TV) to have the whole story.

Again haven't GoW and FF7 remake so don't know if they can be comparable.
I just know that SE stated that they doing a FF7 Remake that will be episodic. And the first part/episode will only contains Midgard.

Kumomeme

This would mean they gave up on their in-house engine and it would be very disappointing.
you mean the Luminous Studio? i doubt they gave up..it probably they want to give their devs freedom to use tools that they already comfortable with...beside there still new luminous studio games coming later which is in development in luminous production..from what i see they didnt seem to hurry to force the rest of their developers to adopt that engine..it wise move though..let the engine properly matured and evolved...they certainly want to avoid another crystal tools situation...or something like happened with frostbite engine at EA ..and we dont know the state of the luminous engine at the moment the new ff started development....kh3 and viir already build their root with ue4...its better them to push with engine that would speed up development progress rather than take risk with new engine that could affected their next game development and release window

Last edited:
Ok... Again haven't play the Remake. So the story is completely new and you have an entire story told in the "first part" ? If yes then my apologies, it's a reboot.

Otherwise, if the story is the same and they just giving you the beginning in the first episode (I think it's Square Enix who told it was episodic) for me it's completely different than a reboot or even a sequel.

An episode is a part of a bigger story. And you need to play (read or watch for book and TV) to have the whole story.

I just know that SE stated that they doing a FF7 Remake that will be episodic. And the first part/episode will only contains Midgard.

The first part you said would be correct. Square Enix were wrong calling it episodic. Perhaps initially that was their intention when cyberconnect2 was working on it, but they've admitted distancing away from the term after they brought inhouse development.

Edit: I should also add while the first part is an entire story of its own right, much like God of War having a grander story told across multiple games, same can be said with FF7R. I keep using GoW, but many games use this structure so it's nothing new, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, The Witcher, Batman Arkham games, Last of Us... list goes on and on. It's a story within a much grander story, none of those games are episodic, so that's not the right term.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i believe that just their problematic messaging with fans...its more than split part than episiodic...think of this as they split a single movie into multi-part movie..with each entry expand the content than the original release

try the remake..the game definitely worth of a single final fantasy games...30hours is the playtime but it took me more than that, over 40 hours

Last edited:

SCB3

FF7 Remake Part 2 in 2023 seems a bit too long, I'd have thought a lot of that work from Part one was viable to be built on for a 1-2 year cycle to be honest

DelireMan7

The first part you said would be correct. Square Enix were wrong calling it episodic. Perhaps initially that was their intention when cyberconnect2 was working on it, but they've admitted distancing away from the term after they brought inhouse development.

Edit: I should also add while the first part is an entire story of its own right, much like God of War having a grander story told across multiple games, same can be said with FF7R. I keep using GoW, but many games use this structure so it's nothing new, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, The Witcher, Batman Arkham games, Last of Us... list goes on and on. It's a story within a much grander story, none of those games are episodic, so that's not the right term.

I agree the term episodic was a marketing mistake from them.

I am still sceptical about the comparison with other game like Arkham. You can play Asylum or City and you don't expect anything after. Of course the sequels are based a bit on previous story but they are their own full story. Knight is a bit more linked to City but not necessary.

Anyway I would say that the main difference is that these games were announced as solo game. Then sequels came thanks to their success.
In FF7R, from the beginning it's clear its "reinterpretation" of an older game that will be done in several part. This annoys me a bit I think. (Especially when they say they can't tell how many part there will be).

However this discussion made me curious about the remake. I know I will play it in the future so I didn't check much of the game itself to stay "blind". Really looking forward to see that.

i believe that just their problematic messaging with fans...its more than split part than episiodic...think of this as they split a single movie into multi-part movie..with each entry expand the content than the original release

try the remake..the game definitely worth of a single final fantasy games...30hours is the playtime but it took me more than that, over 40 hours

Yes the episodic word was a mistake from them I think.

Anyway I am convinced this game is great and I'll try it at one point. I usually don't buy games on release so I'll see that in few months/maybe years (lot of older games I want to play)

cireza

you mean the Luminous Studio? i doubt they gave up..it probably they want to give their devs freedom to use tools that they already comfortable with...beside there still new luminous studio games coming later which is in development in luminous production..from what i see they didnt seem to hurry to force the rest of their developers to adopt that engine..it wise move though..let the engine properly matured and evolved...they certainly want to avoid another crystal tools situation...or something like happened with frostbite engine at EA ..and we dont know the state of the luminous engine at the moment the new ff started development....kh3 and viir already build their root with ue4...its better them to push with engine that would speed up development progress rather than take risk with new engine that could affected their next game development and release window
But this is sad at the same time as I really enjoyed FF XV and felt that the engine allowed things you won't see with UE4.

Banned
if project sancta turns out to be xvi and it is another action rpg my heart will be broken, bring back my turn based SE, dq xi was golden

Kumomeme

But this is sad at the same time as I really enjoyed FF XV and felt that the engine allowed things you won't see with UE4.
well the studio new ip is definitely something we could looking foward to...i expect great things especially gameplay wise since xv should have laid lot of foundation for the sequel

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Scheduling games is good, how would Square Enix fans feel if any of these were delayed? Casuals don't understand that game development is tough, I think gamers want more Square Enix remasters.

Boss Mog

I hope it's true just because that means Just Cause 5 exists. I will once again pin all my hopes and dreams on co-op multiplayer even though I'm sure to be disappointed.

D.Final

Banned
FF7 Remake Part 2 in 2023 seems a bit too long, I'd have thought a lot of that work from Part one was viable to be built on for a 1-2 year cycle to be honest

The true problem with FFVII Remake Part 2, will be surely the teams priority and the Unreal Engine 5.
These alone can increase the development even to 4 years or more

Top Bottom