• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix AAA games in Development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 – first quarter of 2023 – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Windows.
  • Final Fantasy Project Sancta (Unreal Engine 5, ARPG) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X.
  • Dragon Quest III Remake – fourth quarter of 2022 – PlayStation 5.
  • NieR: Replicant 1.5 – Second quarter of 2021 (Platinum Engine) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows.
  • Kingdom Hearts Project OATH – first quarter of 2022 (Unreal Engine 4, ARPG) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia.
  • Kingdom Hearts Untitled Project – no date (Unreal Engine 5, ARPG) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X.
  • Babylon’s Fall – first quarter of 2021 (Platinum Engine) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
  • Tomb Raider: Eclipse – 2021 – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Stadia.
  • Project Traveler – 2021 (Unreal Engine 4) – Nintendo Switch.
  • Life is Strange 3 – no date (Unreal Engine 5) – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Linux, MacOS.
  • Just Cause 5 – 2022 (Apex Engine) – PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Windows.
  • Outriders – 2021 – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows.
  • 2 new IP AAA.
The list now makes a little more sense after the reveal of UE5:unsure:

Mr Hyde

Nier seems awfully far away.

FF VII Remake part 2 in 2023 makes me realize I'll not be playing the whole thing until 2027.

Tomb Raider Eclipse should be PS5 and XSX, not PS4 or XO.

Final Fantasy Project Suncta is most likely Final Fantasy 16.

Kingdom Hearts Untitled Project is most likely the next main entry or rather Kingdom Hearts IV.

Last edited:
Remake part 2 only in 2023? Are you serious?
source.gif

More Kingdom Hearts? Just how many of those things are they expecting us to buy already? I mean, I like the series well enough, but am also kinda tired of it also. also, 2023 for FF7 part 2? Guess that won't be on ps4. The Nier wait is kinda rough.

Even though they are not Square, I do want to know more for Tales of Arise, Cyberpunk 2077, and Metroid Prime 4. Also, this Mass Effect trilogy ps4 remaster I heard tell about.

Dark Oni

is FF7part 2 confirmed for 2023 by square?
nier is so far away i thought it was this year

Remake part 2 only in 2023? Are you serious?
this is surprising? just look at their track record for the past decade. i thought 2024 personally

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yeah that is strange I agree. Not exactly sure, but these are rumors so I am not sure if we need to take it to heart.
I'm also curious which team is developing the next TR game. Is it Eidos Montreal who made SotTR (with some help by Crystal Dynamics),will the series return100% to Crystal Dynamics or will they give it to another SE studio?
Personally i hope for the third option.

I'm also curious which team is developing the next TR game. Is it Eidos Montreal who made SotTR (with some help by Crystal Dynamics),will the series return100% to Crystal Dynamics or will they give it to another SE studio?

No clue. Crystal Dynamics really should just go back and remake or reboot Soul Reaver on next gen.

Oddspeak

FF7R Part 2 in 2023? That'd actually be pretty good. Most expected 2024, 2025 at the worst. I imagine Project Sancta is XVI. Not sure what to make of the DQIII Remake. Nier Replicant in Q2 2021 is about what I expected; we should be thankful it's not any later than that, really. Both Kingdom Hearts games are up in the air, except perhaps the Untitled one, which could be IV. Babylon's Fall in Q2 2021 is farther away than I hoped. It's been two years since this game was announced and we know next to nothing. As far as I know, Outriders is still set for this year.

I know it's just a rumor list, so I won't take anything to heart, but it's a fascinating list nonetheless. I would've liked to know what Luminous Productions is doing, I assume it's one of the new IPs, but chances are that if they're doing anything at all, it's in such early development that even they probably don't know what it is yet.

Last edited:

ShaikhCroft

Tomb Raider: Eclipse sounds fake! They have just did Shadow of the Tomb Raider which was all about an Eclipse!

I'm sure CrystalD developing the next TR since the release of Rise of the Tomb Raider. They knew that Shadow was the end of the trilogy and they had to create a plan for a complete revamped game based on new Lara but not same as Rise or Shadow! I mean they have to bring something new that the future titles will be based on that gameplay!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So much stuff releasing in 2021 and early 2022 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Not sure why it would be on PS5 though, even 2 years from now if that were the case.
I'm not sure the platforms listed in the rumor are accurate. A new Tomb Raider in 2021 only on old gen seems hard to believe.
Also, a Life is Strange on UE5 but only on PS4/Xbone.
Platform listing sure is weird imho

Last edited:
I'm not sure the platforms listed in the rumor are accurate. A new Tomb Raider in 2021 only on old gen seems hard to believe.
Also, a Life is Strange on UE5 but only on PS4/Xbone.
Platform listing sure is weird imho

Yeah, besides, with DQ3 being a Japanese centric pick, you'd think they'd make Switch (the most successful console in the region) a priority.

Whatever the case I'm looking forward to an ultra-definitive version this time, after they somewhat mucked up the mobile port and its derivatives.

Sheesh... was hoping Part 2 would be 2022 at latest. Aren't these supposed to have shorter dev cycles? That means no Part 3 until 2026... which is towards the end of the PS5 life cycle. FFS..

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Tomb Raider is the only game out of those that I'm interested in. I do hope Crystal Dynamics is developing it because Eidos Montreal needs to get busy making a new Deus Ex.

Shin

Banned
Too much FF and KH, in a time where strong woman push is a thing where is our Parasite Eve?
Not to sound sexist, but damn Aya's design is awesome, simple, elegant and bad-ass.

2023 seems like so far away for Remake Part 2...

At least it will take full advantage of next-gen, I assume.

I just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider on a cheap sale. Need to play it before Eclipse.

NieR: Replicant 1.5 is a must have for after never playing the original and loving Automata

Never played Life Is Strange 2 after Life Is Strange felt like such a waste of time to me after I finished it....not sure I will be interested in 3 either...

I missed out on the old DQ games but LOVE DQ11 so DQ3 Remake will be a treat.

Overall, pretty crispy lineup for sure

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Kumomeme

Project Sancta should be released before VIIR part 2..and hopefully it developed fully with next gen's ssd in mind...well if this rumours are true...why they make kingdom heart game 2022 for ps4?

Last edited:

Kumomeme

quote from the reddit poster

FF Project Sancta is probably FF XVI Unreal Engine 5 will be the definitive version for Unreal . The developers tried has been using it for some years (2018) The new engine will be great for Ray tracing in real time and huge graphic details. In the first phase Kingdom Hearts Project Oath was supposed to be released in Q3 2021. But the circumstances didn’t permit it. The game will have 7 worlds already decided (Coco and Ralph Breaks Internet etc..) and two protagonist. The gameplay will be slightly different respect to last KH. Life is Strange 3 will tell the sad story of a boy and girl with a distinctive mind power. Both are bisex. Will be divided in 4 parts.

just take all of this as grain of salt

Last edited:
Dragon Quest XII is in active development but then what team is supposedly working on Dragon Quest III remake? It looks like there are two new AAA IPs too.

Last edited:

Arkam

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 – first quarter of 2023 –

That would suck. Much of the core game is already developed, should be just content and the overworld system. I cant see more than 2 years between future installments.

Exentryk

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 – first quarter of 2023 –

That would suck. Much of the core game is already developed, should be just content and the overworld system. I cant see more than 2 years between future installments.
Devs have to figure out how to do open world. I can see this one taking longer. The last part might be quickest.

Devs have to figure out how to do open world. I can see this one taking longer. The last part might be quickest.

Not only that, but they also working on new generation machines. That alone also takes a lot of time, because they have to learn it and optimize for what they are trying to achieve at the same time.

Oddspeak

People seem surprised at the idea of games coming out in 2021-22 for PS4 and Xbone, but they could be cross-gen.

It lists Outriders for PS4 and Xbone but that was announced for PS5 and XSX too.

The Shepard

Where's my ff8 remake? Should cycle this with ff7 remake and release an episode every year. Get another team on it using the FF7 remake engine.

mango drank

Deus ex & Thief are the only IPs of theirs I care for, and I don't see them there.
Man, I would've traded a new Deus Ex and Thief for anything else of SE's that I'd played this gen.

Devs have to figure out how to do open world.
Probably just a rumor, but I remember hearing that the devs were trying to figure out how to sidestep having an overworld / open world for VII:R Part 2. Meaning, you'll just travel to a few preset locales over the flow of the story, instead of being able to wander around freely.

Oddspeak

Probably just a rumor, but I remember hearing that the devs were trying to figure out how to sidestep having an overworld / open world for VII:R Part 2. Meaning, you'll just travel to a few preset locales over the flow of the story, instead of being able to wander around freely.

My prediction is that they'll just go for a segmented open world closer to FFX (or more accurately, XIV). In this day and age, an overworld like the classic games but in 2020-level graphical fidelity could be too much work for something that'd only offer nostalgia and possibly a bloated game file size.

Top Bottom