• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haifuri went all in with the mutiny storyline at the beginning that it couldn't really build up to anything bigger after that. Once the danger of being attacked every week the show lost a lot of its bite. However I still feel it's one of the better shows of the season.

I mean of the three shows I've watched today I know which one left me feeling positive.

What were the other two shows?

YOU KNOW IT BOOOOOOY.

Next episode's animation is unfortunately a big step down (there's actually a story behind it), but thankfully it's only for that one episode before it becomes incredible again.

Yeah I've read all about it. You also mentioned it on Twitter to me, I bet they had to whip out something fast to put in there.

We were being shamed in a thread completely unrelated to us ;_;

What's new.

javac

Apparently Takarajima and Ashita no Joe were used as inspiration for the team on Gurren Lagann in regards to wanting to create a 'manly' series, and with the Dezaki-esque postcard memories at the end its clear to see the visual similarities. The character designer Nishigori was actually told to watch Takarajima during production if I remember correctly. I remember being surprised by that because they're all different shows but it made a little sense in hindsight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GuP has a straight character developement for Miho.

Haifuri is just all forms of nothing. Even the interesting sea battles in the early episodes are gone.
Except in the movie they did the minimum amount possible on that front. lol
Like they tried to give the main tank crew some development in the show itself, but let's be real, it was still mostly about the tank battles.

That's not to say one is better than the other. Haifuri's episode today was pointless since they are just repeating yet another arc that they already did like 3 episodes ago. It felt like the very definition of a filler episode, which is almost insane in a 12 episode series.

Haifuri went all in with the mutiny storyline at the beginning that it couldn't really build up to anything bigger after that. Once the danger of being attacked every week the show lost a lot of its bite. However I still feel it's one of the better shows of the season.

I mean of the three shows I've watched today I know which one left me feeling positive.
Yeah, it just lost all it's tension when it just suddenly dropped the Musashi storyline and also transitioned to full moe. I'm still okay with the show, but you know what? It feels like Mass Effect 3, where the whole game is telling you that the galaxy is about to be destroyed but you keep getting missions where you have to help some NPC find a piece of junk by scanning a planet or one of your party members deal with their daddy issues.

Every single freaking time I want to watch anime I find myself clicking on Overwatch instead.

Confound these video games, distracting me from my anime.

John Blade

Well...quite a few things happen quite rapidly. Masaru move out from his aunt place which make sense as they isn't really a point for them to stay with her if she abuse her younger brother. MC Kai and female Kai have a fight all because of what female Kai thinks of Masaru and how she worry about him for he worry for the team. Kinda make sense based on his personality. Unfortunately, this make female Kai to leave the home which now mean MC didn't have a chance to bang her.

The gang team leader somehow got kill by Gantz as suicide from the look of it. Kinda bring more question of how much power Gantz have onto the people who got caught in the game. His death isn't worth saying but you can see how much power he have when he bring the item to the real world (kinda the same for the MC Kai with the suit).

They might be another new female character, Sei, which might be someone important later on in the show as you start to see a bit more of her.

Overall, another character development of the MC of the show. Can't say much as you start to see how each MC handle the situation they're in. For one, it mean to escape from the hell hole of his old place. For other, some argument which mean leaving the place while the other death. I guess we will see what will happen next episode and if anything big will happen.

Update: What with MC Kai having image of Kai naked when he is in school? What is with that? You see this in the 1st episode in season 1 when he saw all the girl in the class naked? This is weird stuff

jonjonaug

He really will never be able to top TTGL, will he?

I've been thinking who would be best to work with for Imaishi for a full 1-2 cour, more "serious" series.

Serious options: Urobuchi, or maybe Jin Haganeya finally getting to do a full series himself. Both are really good at ridiculous, over-the-top stuff.

Comedy option: Shozo Uehara is still alive and would be perfect for a superhero parody show or something of that nature.

Just please, not Nakashima again. Re: Cutie Honey and the first part of Gurren Lagann were good, but after KLK I really want to see Imaishi work with someone else.

The most I can play Overwatch is one level up (1 loot box basically). Any more and I'll begin getting tired, and quite honestly tilted. The more I play in one sitting the more likely my performance will go down.

Which thread?

Some guy complaining about being kicked out from some place. That thread was weird as fuck.

John Blade

Which thread?

Guy talk about his weird fetish to other people he know and it weird them out. Also, he does this in the Con which isn't the best place to talk about your weird fetish. Now, everyone say people who love anime are weird and should be purge all because of this thread. You people here need to stop talking weird stuff when new member come in here.

Kiznaiver 11

I hate to say it but this show has been disappointing since episode 9. All that build up and climax in ep 9 and then we get two slow episodes that could have easily been cut into one better paced episode. So little has happened in the past two episodes and the main draw of the series (character interactions) have been muted at best. The revelation of people being able to understand each others pain without some system was fucking stupid and made everyone look stupid.

Hoping the finale really makes up for the decline.

Kiznaiver 11

PROTECT THIS FUCKING SMILE AT ALL COSTS

Its not worth protecting.

Except in the movie they did the minimum amount possible on that front. lol
Like they tried to give the main tank crew some development in the show itself, but let's be real, it was still mostly about the tank battles.

The story and characters in Girls und Panzer are mostly fluff, which is fine because they're not the focus. But the Miho flashback sequence in the movie was excellent, an impressionist stream of sweet childhood memories that endeared me to her and her sister.

Imaishi isn't the one who badly plagiarized Kamen Rider shows, that's on the scriptwriter.

In original anime, I don't think you can separate out responsibility for the story between the director and writer(s), since the director is usually heavily involved in the planning and scriptwriting process. Especially in a troubled production such as Kill la Kill, which we know involved considerable rewrites. Imaishi seems more the type to encourage references to other anime and tokusatsu than the opposite.

jonjonaug

In the end, Imaishi can never replicate the glory of Gurren Lagann.

He does have good spurts of awesome here and there, but eventually he trips and falls on his face like a dojikko.

Imaishi's best works are Dead Leaves, the first episode of Re: Cutie Honey, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Luluco's on the verge of being added to that list IMO. Gurren Lagann falls apart in the second half when it just turns into Shin Getter Robo with a Japanese play that Nakashima liked (don't remember the name) being used as the basis for the Nia subplot. That's not to say that the second part of Gurren Lagann isn't good, but it pales in comparison to the first 15 episodes.

Aki-at

Kiznaiver - 11

Yeah a lot of leaps that didn't do anything for me
"We were friends all along!" "The sincerity of your pain made me feel your pain too!" "I'll forcefully make you all lose your emotions to me"
though I would have liked the last scene if it didn't feel so out of the left field to me. This shows been a fun ride but not the best episode, infact I really hated the revelation you can
share your pain with friends if your honest enough, like come on this is basic knowledge haha.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 34

I little recap from the last few episodes, for some reason, I always expected Armstrong's
sister to be younger than him, following the original series.
Loved the little
plan Scar had set up and his confrontation with Kimberley, I was starting to think he ruined Marco's face for no reason if he got caught so easily.

Listless Ghost-kun - 11

n7HkCvr.jpg

That was some good comedic timing. The long pause and then he just keeps walking.

fa2h0sg3.gif

Imaishi's best works are Dead Leaves, the first episode of Re: Cutie Honey, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Luluco's on the verge of being added to that list IMO. Gurren Lagann falls apart in the second half when it just turns into Shin Getter Robo with a Japanese play that Nakashima liked (don't remember the name) being used as the basis for the Nia subplot. That's not to say that the second part of Gurren Lagann isn't good, but it pales in comparison to the first 15 episodes.

I'll never understand people who say that TTGL falls apart in its second half. The sense of escalation and the extra character development for Rossiu, Viral, and Kittan are some of the best parts of the show.

It going the direction that it did only made the show better in the long run.

John Blade

I am going through the backlogged and I am now consider to watch Clannad series sometime next month or earlier. I was wondering where the Clannad movie fit in as they is 2 TV season and a movie. Just want to have an idea where or if it's a side thing which isn't important.

Narag

I am going through the backlogged and I am now consider to watch Clannad series sometime next month or earlier. I was wondering where the Clannad movie fit in as they is 2 TV season and a movie. Just want to have an idea where or if it's a side thing which isn't important.

The movie is a Dezaki work that adapts the core relationship of the story iirc and is its own thing from the tv series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The story and characters in Girls und Panzer are mostly fluff, which is fine because they're not the focus. But the Miho flashback sequence in the movie was excellent, an impressionist stream of sweet childhood memories that endeared me to her and her sister.
My main criticism of the movie is that it recycles the save the community center plot and does the bare minimum for the mother plot. Any other reason to have a big tank battle would have been better than the one they came up with.

The Clannad movie is basically an alternate telling of the main story, focusing on the main relationship.

The TV series is more or less a straight adaptation of the visual novel with individual story arcs for many of the girls.

jonjonaug

I'll never understand people who say that TTGL falls apart in its second half. The sense of escalation and the extra character development for Rossiu, Viral, and Kittan are some of the best parts of the show.

It going the direction that it did only made the show better in the long run.

Visually the second part of Gurren Lagann is utterly outstanding and contains some of the best animation work ever in a TV series. But the quality of the script in the first part far outshines the quality of the script in the second part. The first part manages to make giant robots feel fresh and new again. It is extremely strong thematically and the characters are outstanding.

But the second half (especially on a rewatch these days) feels like "been there, done that, saw better versions of this already". The film version is a slight improvement that inserts a few really entertaining scenes like Genome's "hacking" or everyone getting their own giant robot, freshening up the final arc a bit. But those are just individual scenes, and the strengths of the first arc are still reduced.

John Blade

The Clannad movie is basically an alternate telling of the main story, focusing on the main relationship.

The TV series is more or less a straight adaptation of the visual novel with individual story arcs for many of the girls.

The movie is a Dezaki work that adapts the core relationship of the story iirc and is its own thing from the tv series.

Should I watch the movie 1st of the TV series 1st? Either way, I am going to watch it. Just want to see which to go 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom