• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Video Game Award nominees

gibration

The Uncharted 2 GOTY edition should be nominated for GOTY. :p

I really don't see why GT 5 isn't anywhere on that list though. Im just going to hope now that they have some good world exclusive reveals.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Kelegacy said:
Since Red Dead is my game of the year and I'd pick it for most categories it shows up in.

My personal top 5 are hard to pin down, though. There are a few more I need to play to be accurate, but it's not that it's hard to narrow it down, it's hard for me to find 5 really exceptional games.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Metro 2033
3. Dead Rising 2 (maybe? I'm only just playing it but liking it again)
4. ???
5. ???

I didn't play ME2 or SMG2, but if I picked games in terms of hours played, Just Cause 2 and Darksiders would be up there. I don't think they're 5 of the best games released this year, but I'm having trouble really deciding.

5. Profit?

KevinCow

Banned
Best Graphics
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment/SCE Studios Santa Monica)
Heavy Rain (Sony Computer Entertainment/Quantic Dream)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo/Good-Feel)
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)

It won't happen, but I'd love to see Kirby win just to see how this show's target audience reacts.

Also lol at Heavy Rain.

Hylian7

I think some games really got the shaft in some categories here. Where is Mario Galaxy 2 in the GOTY category? What about Minecraft in the Best Indie Game category?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Buck was in Reach for like 20 seconds... How about Halsey's actress Jen? (or did I miss that).

EDIT: And I always thought we got to vote for these...

KAL2006

Banned
Sorry to bump this but I just noticed Mario Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta are not in the GotY nominees list. I find this strange as lot of people consider Mario Galaxy 2 the best 3D platformer of all time, as well as Bayonetta being the best action games of all time. So 2 games that are considered the best of all time in their respective genres are not even nominated for GotY is quite shocking. Also Starcraft II deserves to be in the GotY category. Also Gran Turismo 5 deserves to be in the list of best driving game.

My picks! :D

Game of the Year
Halo: Reach (Microsoft/Bungie Studios)

Studio of the Year
Blizzard Entertainment

Best Xbox 360 Game

Best PS3 Game
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)

Best Wii Game
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo/Retro Studios)

Best PC Game
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment/Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Handheld Game
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)

Best Shooter

Best Action Adventure Game
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal)

Best RPG
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)

Best Multiplayer Game

Best Individual Sports Game
UFC Undisputed 2010 (THQ/Yuke's Media Creations)

Best Team Sports Game
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts/EA Tiburon)

Best Driving Game
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts/Criterion Games)

Best Music Game
Dance Central (MTV Games/Harmonix)

Best Soundtrack
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Activision/Neversoft Entertainment)

Best Song in a Game
Black Rain by Soundgarden (Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock)

Best Original Score

Best Graphics
None of these

Best Adapted Video Game
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Activision/High Moon Studios)

Best Performance by a Human Male
Rob Wiethoff as John Marston (Red Dead Redemption/Rockstar Games)

Best Performance by a Human Female
Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty/Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Downloadable Game
None of these

Best DLC
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (Electronic Arts/BioWare)

Best Independent Game
Limbo (PlayDead)

Most Anticipated Game (Three Way Tie!)
Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment/Rocksteady Studios)
BioShock: Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
Gears of War 3 (Microsoft/Epic Games)

(._.)

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Sorry to bump this but I just noticed Mario Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta are not in the GotY nominees list. I find this strange as lot of people consider Mario Galaxy 2 the best 3D platformer of all time, as well as Bayonetta being the best action games of all time. So 2 games that are considered the best of all time in their respective genres are not even nominated for GotY is quite shocking. Also Starcraft II deserves to be in the GotY category. Also Gran Turismo 5 deserves to be in the list of best driving game.
I haven't heard nearly as many people saying this compared to SMG2 being the best 3D platformer of all time. As a matter of fact I would say both games are in two entirely different ballparks when it comes to reception and praise.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta is Nintendo quality(tm) so, mm.

Timber

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I really hate how the Adventure category is being distorted beyond recognition, here and elsewhere. There is very little of what I'd call proper Adventure gameplay - puzzles and other meaningful environment interaction - present in the nominated games. It's a trend I see on GAF as well. I'd like to know what people think constitutes Adventure when a Mario platformer fits that description.

Mar

Well, I was always told that if I have nothing positive to say I shouldn't say anything at all. I'm going to stick to that in this instance.

Doorman

Does anybody else find it a little funny that somehow Black Ops is up for game of the year despite not being in the nominations for any of the system-specific categories? How is that even possible?

The demographic-bias is as present ever, but y'know what? I'm actually going to give them some credit for including Kirby's Epic Yarn in the running for best graphics. Obviously it's not going to win, but I think it took some balls on someone to even consider adding such a CUTE game onto something with Spike's name on it.

SonOfABeep said:
lol now that G4 is gone, Spike is gladly stepping up to the responsibility of being the biggest joke in the gaming industry. :lol

wtf is this shit. Who asked for this? Who wants it?

I don't mind these awards. It's still a pretty faceless industry, I don't mind these guys getting a small bit of spotlight even if it's no better than an MTV award.

All awards are pretty shitty anyways. Doesn't matter how "prestigious" they are claimed to be. Ultimately, only three groups ever get to vote in them anyways, and each of them have problems. If unions/academy's vote for the rewards, than only the (elitist?) members get a say, and any wins are simply designated by peers. If fans vote, than any tasteless knucklehead can factor into victories. The last, and the group that I'm guessing these VGA's rest in, are ones designated by networks/producers/marketing....these might be the most bullshit, but aren't that far off.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I've always found the Voice Actor nominations the most humorous of all of the Spike awards as they're obviously just a sad attempt at tricking those actors into coming to the award show. Hence why the voice actor/actress sections also have the most nominations of everything.

Top Bottom