• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Hellshy.

Where are the people?

giphy.gif

Vacant office/byilfing? I believe I saw construction workers in the demo.

Anung

Un Rama
It's fast though. I hope this game recaptures that sense of speed. So far it looks a bit too slow. Needs a boost button or something.

Yeah this needs that same learning curve as Spider-man 2. When I start I want to be slow and swinging wildly all over the place but after I've mastered it I want to be moving seamlessly through the city super quick and graceful.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's fast though. I hope this game recaptures that sense of speed. So far it looks a bit too slow. Needs a boost button or something.

Sunset Overdrive looked slow pre-release as well

chill guys, Insomniac's got this

Loudninja

”It can't just be Spider-Man 100 percent of the time," said Intihar. ”Peter Parker is integral to the character. In our game, you're gonna see Peter a lot in story and in gameplay. He has a job. He just graduated college, and he has his first job as a scientist."
”It tells you that this is a different Spider-Man universe," Intihar said. ”Miles and Pete being together... yeah, there's been some comic things where worlds collide, but in our game he's part of that world. There's also been a lot of Spider-Man stories, a lot about Peter. Bringing Miles into that helps us explore sides of Peter we haven't seen before."
In terms of gameplay, Intihar told me the campaign will be single-player-only—no co-op. So if you were getting starry eyed over hypothetical Peter/Miles co-op action, probably blink a couple times and let cruel reality once again overtake your senses.

The game will ”mostly" be open-world exploration and acrobatic combat, rather than QTE-ridden story scenes, Intihar also said. Insomniac does want the game to have cinematic flair to it, though, and they're taking inspiration from games like Uncharted. If you screw up a QTE, you'll get a ”fail state," rather than a branching path through a scene.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-spider-man-game-wont-let-you-kill-anybody-1796101031

Spinluck

Oh, definitely.

Traversal was the best part of SM2. The sense of speed while swinging is still unmatched. When I said it wasn't fluid I was talking about the transition from one style of gameplay to another.

Like swinging into or from combat, or even fighting goons indoors. Wall climbing in pretty much every Spidey game has felt shitty. At the time it felt right, but time hasn't been friendly to the game.

The web swinging seems to be near timeless though. Spidey's interaction with the environment seems way better here though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh, so what the level headed people in this thread have been saying all along, go figure.

I mean who woulda though that the entire game isn't a gigantic on rails set piece.

I, for one, am shocked. Shocked, I tell you! Well, not that shocked.

It really boggles my mind how knee-jerky people can be. It's like they've never seen a stage presentation at a game conference before. It's like people see a portion of a game, an 8 minute portion of a game that'll probably be 30 hours long, and they jump to the worst possible conclusion about a portion of it they didn't like. This isn't some Spider-Man VR game where you'd expect it to be cheap and on rails. It's an Insomniac Game, published by Sony, with Sony money backing it. The game looks amazing, and it was a demo of a story mission, not free roam gameplay (which I'm sure we'll see some pure free roam gameplay at a later date; can you imagine the whining if they just showed Spider-Man swinging around for 8 minutes doing nothing?). They're holding things close to the chest, because lord knows how reasonable and rational gamers are when games show off features a year in advance, only to have those features stripped down or removed completely upon release. The very height of civilized discourse and understanding. /s

The 8 minute demo is more than I was expecting from Spider-Man this E3, so I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting another story trailer with a few gameplay snippets mixed in to close out the show.

c0Zm1c

Every one is entitled to their opinion.

But the hot takes and drive by complaining about some of the button prompts towards the end of the demo are just ruining the possibility of any good discussion or speculation. We got a 9 minute demo and that's all that was gathered from it?

I get the concern, but it's hyperbolic at this point.

I'm just not going to acknowledge it any longer. Most of the arguments are poorly constructed, and people are literally saying, "I hope this is not what the entire game is like." When Insomniac has already said it's for SOME big larger than life set piece moments.
Even confining it to just short sequences can be enough to bring it down though. Consider the game Dying Light.
You've played through the whole damn game in anticipation of a showdown with the bad guy with that game's intense melee combat, only to find the whole confrontation is just a QTE sequence. Talk about disappointing! What if this game were to pull something like that which, given their approach here, it actually could if they want to end on a "big larger than life set piece"? Transformers: War for Cybertron partly pulled this crap too,
so I'm sure you can understand why people who really don't like QTEs feel let down by just the presence of it in a short demo, even when it only reflects a small portion of the whole game.

I respect that you guys are excited for the game - in pretty much every other respect it does indeed look great - and think we're just party pooping for the sake of it but this is valid criticism. Far from it be me to call developers lazy (they're not) but QTE is lazy design, when designing these set pieces around the gameplay would be a so, so much better approach, and one I expect a talented studio like Insomniac could have pulled off really well. I mean, it partly does do just that with Spidey chasing the helicopter down, and also...

Everyone always takes the wrong lessons from Naughty Dog/ Uncharted re:cinematic stuff and setpieces. Their setpieces are so good specifically because most of the time you are in full control and they don't involve any QTE's, they're simply a spectacle driven way to provide more thrilling, linear action beats that radically shake up the level design.

The Peter stuff sounds really promosing though. The Arkham games mostly ignored the Wayne side of things to their detriment, and Peter is probably even more important to the spider-man formula.

Spinluck

Even confining it to just short sequences can be enough to bring it down though. Consider the game Dying Light.
You've played through the whole damn game in anticipation of a showdown with the bad guy with that game's intense melee combat, only to find the whole confrontation is just a QTE sequence. Talk about disappointing! What if this game were to pull something like that which, given their approach here, it actually could if they want to end on a "big larger than life set piece"? Transformers: War for Cybertron partly pulled this crap too,
so I'm sure you can understand why people who really don't like QTEs feel let down by just the presence of it in a short demo, even when it only reflects a small portion of the whole game.

I respect that you guys are excited for the game - in pretty much every other respect it does indeed look great - and think we're just party pooping for the sake of it but this is valid criticism. Far from it be me to call developers lazy (they're not) but QTE is lazy design, when designing these set pieces around the gameplay would be a so, so much better approach, and one I expect a talented studio like Insomniac could have pulled off really well. I mean, it partly does do just that with Spidey chasing the helicopter down, and also...

What you said if fine, and actually well thought out. I can understand this line of thinking. I'm indifferent when it comes to QTEs, especially if a game is thoroughly good.

Many of the posts about the QTEs were nothing like this, and seemed more like aimless complaining reenforced by a hive mind mentality.

Find that one thing and start a never ending chain of complaining about that thing. Instead ​of reading impressions or watching interviews!

Everyone always takes the wrong lessons from Naughty Dog/ Uncharted re:cinematic stuff and setpieces. Their setpieces are so good specifically because most of the time you are in full control and they don't involve any QTE's, they're simply a spectacle driven way to provide more thrilling, linear action beats that radically shake up the level design.

The Peter stuff sounds really promosing though. The Arkham games mostly ignored the Wayne side of things to their detriment, and Peter is probably even more important to the spider-man formula.

I'm excited for the Peter stuff, but I'm a bit sour hearing that bit about Uncharted. Love the series, but like you said, games always seem to take the wrong thing from it.

Here's to hoping there are some really good live/player controlled set pieces. Him running through that building was pretty rad.

So this gif has movement similar to the first trailer with him running through the coffee shop, do we have any idea how it is done? My guess would be some kind of parkour-button akin to that in Watch Dogs 2. It seems impossible to make all of that movement fully controllable, but at the same time you don't want it to be automatic with the player just pressing forward on the stick.

The Lamp

There's not much I hate more than boring, generic skyscraper jungles/city design. I hope they didn't make it open world just for the sake of it like LA Noir's LA is just a means of traversal to reach the open world missions. I hope there are some characters and districts and life and logic to the design of the city, but that's usually too much to hope for with these kinds of games.

I went from Day 1 to "wait and see" approach after E3. I understand the QTEs are just for blockbuster spectacles, but I need to see more regular gameplay before I'm interested again. There was too much QTE in the demo for my taste.

I wish Sucker Punch had made this instead.

gamerMan

1:54 - 1:58 - 4 seconds
5:22 - 5:40 - 18 seconds
6:42 - 6:44 - 2 seconds
7:25 - 7:28 - 3 seconds
7:35 - 7:37 - 2 seconds
7:46 - 7:48 - 2 seconds
8:02 - 8:06 - 4 seconds

Total QTE - 35 seconds

Total runtime - 538 seconds

% QTE = 6.506%

% error = 90% - 6.506% = 83.494%

In my opinion, even one QTE is too much. If I wanted to press buttons while watching a movie, I would just pop the Spiderman movie into my PS4 and press buttons. I counted 13 QTEs in just an 8 minute demo. That's more than 1 QTE for every minute of gameplay.

7whE7Kg.jpg

In my opinion, even one QTE is too much. If I wanted to press buttons while watching a movie, I would just pop the Spiderman movie into my PS4 and press buttons. I counted 13 QTEs in just an 8 minute demo. That's more than 1 QTE for every minute of gameplay.
And picture 10 there involved 3-4 QTEs alone. For each attack by Mr. Negatitivity and in ripping off the helicopter panel.

tmac456

There's not much I hate more than boring, generic skyscraper jungles/city design. I hope they didn't make it open world just for the sake of it like LA Noir's LA is just a means of traversal to reach the open world missions. I hope there are some characters and districts and life and logic to the design of the city, but that's usually too much to hope for with these kinds of games.

I went from Day 1 to "wait and see" approach after E3. I understand the QTEs are just for blockbuster spectacles, but I need to see more regular gameplay before I'm interested again. There was too much QTE in the demo for my taste.

Infamous second son's open world rarely felt the way you're describing. This game is in really good hands. We saw a 9min demo of a highly scripted mission. All the non-QTE gameplay we saw looked fantastic.

7whE7Kg.jpg

Like I said above, highly scripted mission to show off some visuals and movement. I'm sure there will be some QTEs throughout the game, but from what they showed via regular combat and movement, they appear to be on the right track.

Kuro

You want a Spiderman game not set in NYC??? What the actual hell.

And picture 10 there involved 3-4 QTEs alone. For each attack by Mr. Negatitivity and in ripping off the helicopter panel.
Those weren't QTEs, looked like the player was in control and moving up to the side of the helicopter they wanted and having to time their dodge.

Think how in God of War 3 boss fights where the controls would change to better suit a specific section (being hooked by Hades, using your hand to block Helios' light, etc)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Those weren't QTEs, looked like the player was in control and moving up to the side of the helicopter they wanted and having to time their dodge.

Think how in God of War 3 boss fights where the controls would change to better suit a specific section (being hooked by Hades, using your hand to block Helios' light, etc)

Yeah, one of them was smashing square to rip a panel off the helicopter.

Yep .
I think some people are mixing up QTE with everything .

Also like i said before it make no sense comparing spidey set pieces to some thing like UC .
Drake won't have to do have the shit spidey is known for .

Do you always have a button prompt like that when dodging? I don't remember seeing those in the normal thug fights and the mini-boss fight.

Do you always have a button prompt like that when dodging? I don't remember seeing those in the normal thug fights and the mini-boss fight.
No, in those moments on the helicopter, the same slow-mo spider sense/enemy flashes red happened, same as in combat

7whE7Kg.jpg
That's a kind of reductive perspective on the whole notion. QTEs work best in two scenarios: the Heavy Rain case, where they are used to mimic character's actions in ways that regular controls can't, and the God of War case, where they're used to the player perform character-accurate actions that are too complex and complicated for regular controls

Furthermore, what really makes a QTE good is continuity. RE4 has horrible QTEs; yes they look awesome, but they're literally just cutscenes where you press buttons. In the newer God of War games and this as well, the actions performed by the prompts are the same as the actions those controls perform in regular actions.

So for example,the triggers are your web buttons for web-zipping and so on, and naturally you use those buttons to perform the web-based actions like stopping the helicopter or catching the tail

In this way, the prompts become an extension of the moment-to-moment gameplay, natural usage that fits in the context of player control and on-screen action.

Also using prompts rather the cutscenes has the effect of keeping everything seamless instead of needing to load in and out of a cinematic; you can do those seamless transitions like moving from the crane into web-swinging or directly into the collapsing office interior while altering controls on the fly.

Ramenman

Meh, I don't give a crap about this in a super hero game. "just a means of traversal", in a spiderman game or the 2 latest Arkham Games is perfectly fine, because traversal is so damn fun, it's a gameplay on its own.

Nothing to do with a game like LA Noire where having a city that's just "there to be traversed" is a lot more of a problem when you're a boring human being that has to, like, drive cars and shit.

gamerMan

Yep .
I think some people are mixing up QTE with everything .

Also like i said before it make no sense comparing spidey set pieces to some thing like UC .
Drake won't have to do have the shit spidey is known for .

For me a QTE is any event in a game that prompts the player with a button press icon and results in a fail state if the button is not pressed.

That's a kind of reductive perspective on the whole notion. QTEs work best in two scenarios: the Heavy Rain case, where they are used to mimic character's actions in ways that regular controls can't, and the God of War case, where they're used to the player perform character-accurate actions that are too complex and complicated for regular controls

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think that QTEs add anything to action games as they are not skill based. Action games are all about giving the player control of the character. As a developer, you have to find a way to develop an action sequence that is skill based and doesn't rely on button prompts.

Don't tell me they couldn't have designed a sequence where there was a falling structure and Spiderman has to use his web to sling around to avoid falling off. Instead of actual game design,we have a watered down sequence with button prompts that could be completed with blindfolds on and your hands behind your back.

I love games like Heavy Rain and Until Dawn, but these games are similar to point and click games. They are not about player control.

I don't think you can compare an Uncharted with something like this too much as Spider-Man is a super hero with an insane amount of maneuverability. Like the video shows when it's possible they give you control like the exploding building bit where Spider-Man is running through which is Uncharted like. The only other moment where I can see they could have given you more control is when the thing that's crashing through the building flies over Spider-Man's head they could have slowed time down and have you manually aim towards the object to web it up.

Used to be a really big Spider-Man fan growing up and I'm still a fan of the character but to a much lesser degree. I'd love to see a great new Spidey game and this is certainly looking good but like most E3 showcases there was far too much focus on spectacle and not enough on raw gameplay. Too many QTE moments and little scenes that interrupt the gameplay. I doubt that'll be a big issue in the final game but it wasn't what I wanted to see on Monday.

Gameplay looks very similar to the Arkham games. Not a surprise but since the Amazing Spider-Man games were essentially just shitty versions of those titles, I was kind of hoping they'd be a bit more creative in how to tackle a new Spider-Man game. Still, looking promising enough. Will have to wait and see.

Loudninja

Insomniac Games upcoming (in 2018) Spider-Man came up. Cerny has apparently been spending quite a lot of time with the team, noting that 'their focus is on gameplay innovation'. On the PS4 Pro Insomniac Games is using a, and I quote, 'forward looking technique called temporal-injection that lets them efficiently support 4K displays'. This essentially allows them to render the game at 4K with the ability to down-scale to 1080p for those who are playing with a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display.
https://www.videogamer.com/news/mar...death-stranding-spider-man-4k-gaming-and-more

Sande

Damn, the QTEs really soured an otherwise impeccable demo. I'm generally not even against QTEs per se, but that was some Telltale tier garbage (other than not being a hideous slideshow of course).

But yeah, it looks gorgeous, the animations are amazing, combat and sneaking seem like a nice evolution on the Batman formula and webslinging looked amazing so my overall impression is still very positive.

Damn, the QTEs really soured an otherwise impeccable demo. I'm generally not even against QTEs per se, but that was some Telltale tier garbage (other than not being a hideous slideshow of course).

But yeah, it looks gorgeous, the animations are amazing, combat and sneaking seem like a nice evolution on the Batman formula and webslinging looked amazing so my overall impression is still very positive.

Is Spiderman truly Batman's Marvel marketing equivalent to Batman? I kind of thought Wolverine was at this point, given their age and darker personalities.

Sande

Is Spiderman truly Batman's Marvel marketing equivalent to Batman? I kind of thought Wolverine was at this point, given their age and darker personalities.
I don't know, but the combat and sneaking were definitely influenced by the Arkham games. That's what I was referring to.

TimFL

No Spider-Man is in a completely different tier than Batman marketing wise (way way above Batman). Sande probably meant evolution on the Batman Arkham formula.

For me a QTE is any event in a game that prompts the player with a button press icon and results in a fail state if the button is not pressed.

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think that QTEs add anything to action games as they are not skill based. Action games are all about giving the player control of the character. As a developer, you have to find a way to develop an action sequence that is skill based and doesn't rely on button prompts.
But the point isn't to be skill based, and that's not a bad thing. Feeling like the character is more crucial than being in control 100% of the time. Compare the brawler style combat of past Batman games to the less complex but more character-appropriate freeflow system in Arkham, that captured the skill and speed of the character in a way that past games couldn't.

Top Bottom