• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Is Spiderman truly Batman's Marvel marketing equivalent to Batman? I kind of thought Wolverine was at this point, given their age and darker personalities.

Marketing wise I'd say so. For the pass half decade or so Spider-Man has pretty consistently been Marvel's best selling comics And he's also more or less Spun-out his own "Spider-Family" of side titles:

Spider-Man8-06152016.jpg

So it's not too surprising to see Spider-Man adaptations go the way that Batman did and include more of the "Side-Spiders" as well.

Guymelef

My main complain with the game it's that I feel the villain roster would be for the true Spider-Man fans, "Mr Negative? "who is him?" I would prefer things like Venom, Carnage or Dr Octopus.

Spidy

Neo Member
I've been a life-long Spidy fan, so I am super hyped about this game. I want this game to be an epic, have everything and every character in it, but I know that's not reasonable, especially if they want to make sequels. But man, I would love to see Venom and Carnage done properly. Even more so, a proper Sinister Six (with Doc Ock and Kraven).

Anyways, looking forward to this game, will be buying a PS4 Pro soon for this (and Shenmue 3).

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, Mr. Negative.....

I get it. He's official, but still.

Like, you have an entire roster, and you go with the most unknown villain you can find?

......Ok.

I really hope he's not the main.

I don't want to see the same villains over and over again that's mad lame. Everybody knows oc,goblin and venom. Put them in a sequel introduce me to some more of spideys villians
Arkham knight did a good job with this while still having popular ones

Pachimari

Yeah, growing up with Spider-Man, I think it's refreshing seeing Mr Negative as the antagonist since I didn't know about him, and now I've been introduced to him. That's cool. I'm all for Insomniac exploring the rogues gallery and the universe itself. And it's so damn cool that the Demons are fighting over territory and trying to take what is Fisk's.

Spidy

Neo Member
I actually enjoy Mr. Negative's character, looking forward to him in this game. I like how even to Spider-Man he's new, while other more well known characters (Fisk) is already known and has history with Spider-Man (and to us, the people playing the game). Even so, I doubt he is the main villain, it'll probably be Osborn.

That being said, if Avengers show up in this game and Mayor Osborn is the Iron Patriot with a gang of Dark Avengers, I'll lose my sh*t

I hope we get a dope ass Venom mission with a horror theme, kinda like how the Scarecrow missions in Arkham were more horror themed than the rest of the game.

Venom is the shit.

I actually enjoy Mr. Negative's character, looking forward to him in this game. I like how even to Spider-Man he's new, while other more well known characters (Fisk) is already known and has history with Spider-Man (and to us, the people playing the game). Even so, I doubt he is the main villain, it'll probably be Osborn.

That being said, if Avengers show up in this game and Mayor Osborn is the Iron Patriot with a gang of Dark Avengers, I'll lose my sh*t

Yeah, I didn't know him at all so it was pretty cool seeing a cool new one. And, like Kaversmed said, I'm sure some of the others will be in this game too.

And yeah, I also liked that he was new to him as well.

Hesh

The swinging looks great, as does the Rocksteady Batman combat, but I'm just not a fan of those sequences of multiple QTE's in a row. If the player can't pull off those moves within the confines of the natural gameplay then I would rather there just be a cinematic to bring the player to the next gameplay section/opportunity.

Pachimari

If we are really gonna meet more villains, then I really want some kind of a hunt and prey mission with Kraven in Central Park at night. Or a battle through New York with either Hob Goblin or Vulture, but not in the same QTE heavy way like the helicopter we've seen. I kind of wish we could swing around, and then do some kind of aim and shoot in slow-motion mid air like Link does it with his bow in Breath of the Wild. A vertical fight against Doc Ock at a tower would be cool.

Man, I really need a horrifying Kraven hunt, maybe include Mysterio in such a fight.

I would like for Slayven to come in here and mention some of his newer cool rogues from after the millennium.

Morbius would be cool too. Introduce him at a graveyard or a church.

And I'm happy about Osborn being around and being a big player, but I would prefer they don't go down the Goblin route as it's seen a dozen times before. They should do something new and take the story new ways.

I for one am glad they're including mr negative in this.

That said visually he doesn't translate that well into 3d.

And also anyone who thinks he'll be the main villian is daft, it'll be osborn like always.

I don't think Mr. Negative is the main villain. But I like it when they use fresh characters instead of always the same enemies.

We also already had Kingpin in the gameplay section.

c0Zm1c

But the point isn't to be skill based, and that's not a bad thing. Feeling like the character is more crucial than being in control 100% of the time. Compare the brawler style combat of past Batman games to the less complex but more character-appropriate freeflow system in Arkham, that captured the skill and speed of the character in a way that past games couldn't.

It'll only serve to pull me out of the experience and won't in anyway make me feel like The Amazing Spider-Man. Just as it doesn't make me feel like the character or whatever they're doing in any other game that resorts to intervening with a predetermined scene and QTEs. Compare that with when I will have full control of Spidey, gleefully and unrestrictedly swinging around the city, where I will feel like Spider-Man.

Maybe it's just individual perception and the illusion of still being in control during these sequences works better on many, perhaps most players. But it evidently fails miserably with a lot of us. That is kind of a bad thing.

MCD250

I don't want to see the same villains over and over again that's mad lame. Everybody knows oc,goblin and venom. Put them in a sequel introduce me to some more of spideys villians
Arkham knight did a good job with this while still having popular ones
Yeah.

Mr. Negative is also one of the better villains they've introduced in the comics over the past 10 years or so. I was very pleasantly surprised when I realized he was in the game after last year's trailer (the henchmen who appeared in that trailer, as in this one, were his Inner Demons).

What are the chances you can unlock/purchase alternate costumes in the game? I think that would be such a missed opportunity if they don't do it.

firelogic

I'm all for QTEs because it makes you feel like a badass. There are things that happen in a QTE that a player can't manually pull off. I hear a lot of flack that God of War games get for QTEs but I don't understand why. The argument is that it doesn't take any skill to kill enemies and you just follow button prompts but that's not it at all. You can use all the tools at your disposal to kill an enemy and then instead of the bad guy falling over and simply dying, you get to participate in a cool cinematic moment. If they took the QTEs out, you'd have any other game. Slash slash dead. Instead you have slash slash QTE awesome dead. For all intents and purposes, you killed the enemy. Their health is at 0 when the QTE happens.

c0Zm1c

What are the chances you can unlock/purchase alternate costumes in the game? I think that would be such a missed opportunity if they don't do it.

The Beenox games (well, the first one at least) had a lot of costume DLC if I remember right but that was probably thanks to it being published by Activision. Who knows with this one.

I can't believe we're still on 40 seconds of Qte's

I can't believe people, on both sides of the argument, driveby post and don't offer any constructive input, especially when said posts are directed at those who actually have.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Felt good watching the IGN walkthrough of the demo. I like Arkham so having some combat similarities isn't a bad thing. I think for the conference it might've been rushed as sometimes they need to, and unfortunately that led to seeing more of the cinematic QTE parts and less of the combat approaches. And I'm really looking forward to see some of the Peter Parker segments of the game. Overall it's probably still one my most anticipated games from E3.

Prompto

Banned
Any information about a Peter Parker segment of the game where you get to do missions out of costume?

“It can’t just be Spider-Man 100 percent of the time,” said Intihar. “Peter Parker is integral to the character. In our game, you’re gonna see Peter a lot in story and in gameplay. He has a job. He just graduated college, and he has his first job as a scientist.”
That seems to heavily imply Peter Parker segments

Crypt

Does this extended/alternate game play demo exist yet? I kept hearing about it, but can only find what they showed at the PS4 conference.

My main complain with the game it's that I feel the villain roster would be for the true Spider-Man fans, "Mr Negative? "who is him?" I would prefer things like Venom, Carnage or Dr Octopus.

You'll still get the big name villains. I doubt many people knew who Zsasz was in Arkham Asylum, or Calendar Man in City.

camac002

In my opinion, even one QTE is too much. If I wanted to press buttons while watching a movie, I would just pop the Spiderman movie into my PS4 and press buttons. I counted 13 QTEs in just an 8 minute demo. That's more than 1 QTE for every minute of gameplay.

7whE7Kg.jpg

I get what you are saying, but at the least, images 6, 8, and 9 shouldn't be in this list.

6 and 8, that's like complaining you have to press the jump button to jump between moving vehicles in Uncharted.

9 is a response to him taking a hit (he could move and dodge on the helicopter), no different to any other game when an enemy knocks the player into lava or off a wall and you press jump to get out of it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This thread is amazingly confusing.

From what I've gathered, some folks are angry that Insomniac hasn't 100% copied the Arkham formula, and some are mad that this far, we've only seen Mr. Negative as an antagonist, and lamenting that the game that's a year away and finally had a gameplay debut two days ago isn't teaming with legacy villains.

One of the great things about being a creator is being able to create how you want to create. Why don't we let Insomniac create the game they want to create, instead of copy pasting the Arkham game and focusing on the same antagonists we've seen in countless mediocre Spider-Man games over the years.

The fact that some people are comparing the game to Activision's dreadful Spider-Man output hurts my heart (and I speak as a dude who worked on the "legendary" Spider-Man 2 back when I was QA).

Insomniac is clearly trying to distance themselves from the mediocre Spidey games we've gotten in the past. It's clear they have a passion for the character, and judging by their history of excellent games (with a few misses), we are finally going to get a quality Spider-Man game. I say that as not just a fan of Insomniac (from Ratchet to Resistance to name just two awesome franchises they created), but as someone who has bought and suffered through every Activision Spider-Man game they've released on consoles since Spider-Man 1 on the PS1.

I'm curious about Mr. Negative. I think he sounds cool from what I've read up on him. I'm curious and excited to see what a Spider-Man game developed by a talented developer with the time and budget to make something great can do with the character. I'm 37 years old, and I've been waiting for the definitive Spider-Man game since Maximum Carnage. Just like I was waiting for the definitive Batman game before the Arkham series came along.

I don't want Insomniac to copy paste the Batman games. I want them to make a Spider-Man game (and I love the Arkham games).

This thread is amazingly confusing.

From what I've gathered, some folks are angry that Insomniac hasn't 100% copies the Arkham formula, and some are mad that this far, we've only seen Mr. Negative as an antagonist, and lamenting that the game that's a year away and finally had a gameplay debut two days ago isn't teaming with legacy villains.

One of the great things about being a creator is being able to create how you want to create. Why don't we let Insomniac create the game they want to create, instead of copy pasting the Arkham game and focusing on the same antagonists we've seen in countless mediocre Spider-Man games over the years.

The fact that some people are comparing the game to Activision's dreadful Spider-Man output hurts my heart (and I speak as a dude who worked on the "legendary" Spider-Man 2 back when I was QA).

Insomniac is clearly trying to distance themselves from the mediocre Spidey games we've gotten in the past. It's clear they have a passion for the character, and judging by their history of excellent games (with a few misses), we are finally going to get a quality Spider-Man game. I say that as not just a fan of Insomniac (from Ratchet to Resistance to name just two awesome franchises they created), but as someone who has bought and suffered through every Activision Spider-Man game they've released on consoles since Spider-Man 1 on the PS1.

I'm curious about Mr. Negative. I think he sounds cool from what I've read up on him. I'm curious and excited to see what a Spider-Man game developed by a talented developer with the time and budget to make something great can do with the character. I'm 37 years old, and I've been waiting for the definitive Spider-Man game since Maximum Carnage. Just like I was waiting for the definitive Batman game before the Arkham series came along.

I don't want Insomniac to copy paste the Batman games. I want them to make a Spider-Man game (and I love the Arkham games).
.Amen spidey deserves this. I think insomniac will treat it well

Top Bottom