• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

farisr

I wouldn't be surprised at no Venom appearance. That's a villain you save/tease for a sequel.

I have no idea who Mr. Negative is, but I'm open to seeing villains I haven't heard of myself before. As long as the game nails the gameplay aspect down, Sony and Insomniac are going to be working with this license for a while. So having places to go with the next entries would be a good idea rather than cramming in a ton of the well known super villains into the first game.

In my opinion, even one QTE is too much. If I wanted to press buttons while watching a movie, I would just pop the Spiderman movie into my PS4 and press buttons. I counted 13 QTEs in just an 8 minute demo. That's more than 1 QTE for every minute of gameplay.

7whE7Kg.jpg

Okay sure, but it's not like that's all you do. I look back at God of War 2 which has plenty of QTEs from beginning to end, but it's still one of my favorite action games on the PS2.

I wouldn't be surprised at no Venom appearance. That's a villain you save/tease for a sequel.

I have no idea who Mr. Negative is, but I'm open to seeing villains I haven't heard of myself before. As long as the game nails the gameplay aspect down, Sony and Insomniac are going to be working with this license for a while. So having places to go with the next entries would be a good idea rather than cramming in a ton of the well known super villains into the first game.

Mr. Negative can corrupt people by touching them. My theory is that the footage we were shown is either the first or a very early story mission. Spidey gets corrupted by Mr. Negative at the end of it, and we get a flash-forward (or maybe do some evil missions first) to Spidey being someone who has to be stopped...by Miles Morales.

Think of it as a reimagining of the MHS2 prologue twist.

TimFL

Felt good watching the IGN walkthrough of the demo. I like Arkham so having some combat similarities isn't a bad thing. I think for the conference it might've been rushed as sometimes they need to, and unfortunately that led to seeing more of the cinematic QTE parts and less of the combat approaches. And I'm really looking forward to see some of the Peter Parker segments of the game. Overall it's probably still one my most anticipated games from E3.

Can we find the IGN walkthrough anywhere? I tried their website but it seems to have nothing new.

Mr. Negative can corrupt people by touching them. My theory is that the footage we were shown is either the first or a very early story mission. Spidey gets corrupted by Mr. Negative at the end of it, and we get a flash-forward (or maybe do some evil missions first) to Spidey being someone who has to be stopped...by Miles Morales.

Think of it as a reimagining of the MHS2 prologue twist.
So what's with the aura blasts if you get hit by those he corrupts you

gamerMan

I respect that you guys are excited for the game - in pretty much every other respect it does indeed look great - and think we're just party pooping for the sake of it but this is valid criticism. Far from it be me to call developers lazy (they're not) but QTE is lazy design, when designing these set pieces around the gameplay would be a so, so much better approach, and one I expect a talented studio like Insomniac could have pulled off really well. I mean, it partly does do just that with Spidey chasing the helicopter down, and also...

I agree. I am super excited for this. When I first saw it, I couldn't believe my eyes and then I see all these button prompts pop up. I thought why are they wasting all the talent at their studio to produce Quicktime events. If your dream Spiderman game is playing through QTEs then that's great. I don't want to see them at all in a Spiderman game, where it should be about giving the player the ability to control the traversal and movement at all times.

Some games try to hide the fact that they are games and want to become films with Quick Time Events. That belongs in other games but not in Insomniac's Spiderman. When I see quicktime events, not only do I get super upset, it's super boring every single time whether it makes up 5% or 100% of your game. Period.

This should be the game of the show. There is only one reason it won't win: Quick Time Events. I hope if it doesn't win many awards, Insomniac goes back to the drawing board and removes every single one of those QTEs. Every single last one. They make me sad.

GermanZepp

In my opinion, even one QTE is too much. If I wanted to press buttons while watching a movie, I would just pop the Spiderman movie into my PS4 and press buttons. I counted 13 QTEs in just an 8 minute demo. That's more than 1 QTE for every minute of gameplay.

7whE7Kg.jpg

But that was a setpiece, probably the game it's no all like that, maybe just main story mission.

....Wait, if you really think into it, playing games its like Thousands of QTE one after another, but you don't see it on the screen, you memorize it...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Permanently A

7whE7Kg.jpg

Honestly, if people hate QTEs that much, then there should be an option to turn them off. If it appeals to people then it should exist. I would play with QTEs cause I enjoyed the tension it added to the cutscenes, but if it doesn't work for you then there's no reason you should be forced to experience them.

Interesting. Thank you!

Not a huge fan of this Peter Parker as a scientist (from a gameplay and story standpoint, I would prefer to see him slumming it as a photographer, but there we are.
Seems like Pete's gonna be working at Horizon Labs.
I think those are just energy blasts. From what I read he has to touch you to corrupt you. Also:

Could be a way of sneaking a partial black suit Spidey in if there's no symbiotes.
Negative Zone suit!
eG9le4x.png

farisr

My theory is that the footage we were shown is either the first or a very early story mission.
Well that part is already confirmed. The first mission (or set of missions) of the story has you dealing with Fisk. This is basically immediately after, so still early on in the game.

silva1991

Saw over on Reddit insomniac said the work is 4-6x times larger than sunset. How big was that world

I don't remember it being very big. It's way smaller than GTAV iirc.

edit: I only mentioned GTA, because I don't play many open world games lol. It's not remotely close to how big that game is.

maybe it was closer to White Orchard from Witcher 3.

Lifeline

7whE7Kg.jpg

1. They've already said the gameplay demo they showed has some of the combat cut out.

2. They're showing a set piece. It's either going to be a cutscene or a QTE. I much rather have a QTE and be somewhat engaged.

It's a open world game. Apart from climactic story missions, you won't see 13 QTE/8 mins while playing the game.

Matty77

As a 40 year old who has been reading Spidey since I was a kid, who also still considers Peter my favorite hero real or fictional I find it funny that so many people are calling themselves "true fans" but pissed about Mr. Negative and just want the same three villains everyone including people who have never read a comic know.

Martin Li has deep ties to Peter, Aunt May, Eddie Brock and Cloak and Dagger and is literally the perfect villain to bring modern comic flavor into the game.

I really don't want to see them drag out tired ass Osborn once again especially when the best thing he ever did was impale himself on a glider after killing Gwen and should have stayed dead.

If they want a goblin use Phil Urich's psycho sonic scream Hobgoblin, or as others mentioned use Hydro man or something.

Peter has one of the deepest villain benches ever rivaled only by Batmans so it really sucks when it's always the same handful that get used over and over.

I for one applaud insomniac for bringing Spidey into the modern age both with gameplay but also characters like Miles, Mr. Negative and Yuri(maybe we will even see some Wraith action).

As a 40 year old who has been reading Spidey since I was a kid, who also still considers Peter my favorite hero real or fictional I find it funny that so many people are calling themselves "true fans" but pissed about Mr. Negative and just want the same three villains everyone including people who have never read a comic know.

Martin Li has deep ties to Peter, Aunt May, Eddie Brock and Cloak and Dagger and is literally the perfect villain to bring modern comic flavor into the game.

I really don't want to see them drag out tired ass Osborn once again especially when the best thing he ever did was impale himself on a glider after killing Gwen and should have stayed dead.

If they want a goblin use Phil Urich's psycho sonic scream Hobgoblin, or as others mentioned use Hydro man or something.

Peter has one of the deepest villain benches ever rivaled only by Batmans so it really sucks when it's always the same handful that get used over and over.

I for one applaud insomniac for bringing Spidey into the modern age both with gameplay but also characters like Miles, Mr. Negative and Yuri(maybe we will even see some Wraith action).
Bless your heart

O so yuri is a original spidey character too?

Slayven

If we are really gonna meet more villains, then I really want some kind of a hunt and prey mission with Kraven in Central Park at night. Or a battle through New York with either Hob Goblin or Vulture, but not in the same QTE heavy way like the helicopter we've seen. I kind of wish we could swing around, and then do some kind of aim and shoot in slow-motion mid air like Link does it with his bow in Breath of the Wild. A vertical fight against Doc Ock at a tower would be cool.

Man, I really need a horrifying Kraven hunt, maybe include Mysterio in such a fight.

I would like for Slayven to come in here and mention some of his newer cool rogues from after the millennium.

Morbius would be cool too. Introduce him at a graveyard or a church.

And I'm happy about Osborn being around and being a big player, but I would prefer they don't go down the Goblin route as it's seen a dozen times before. They should do something new and take the story new ways.
The Other

Fusion his powers have a trick that they could do some real cool shit with

Black Tarantula
G84g6zd.jpg

Matty77

Bless your heart

O so yuri is a original spidey character too?
Yeah. Detective who also plays crime fighter pretending to be a ghost Jean DeWolff.

Hydro-Man always felt like a knockoff Sandman to me, even though they're both Spidey's foes.

It actually predates Mister Negative. It's from the time he went into the Negative Zone (no relation to the villain) to rescue some kids.
Remember the time they got mixed together and became a mud creature?

Do we have any impressions of the demo they're showing at E3? Curious to know if and how it differs from the media briefing footage, subtle as the differences may be.

farisr

Suit customization confirmed at 5 minutes in this vid.

Also, a year ago:
farisr said:
While I don't have an issue with the look, and I do think alternate suits/skins will probably be in the game like Ratchet & Clank, but guys.. something just occurred to me.

What if we're able to customize/design our own suit?

Sunset Overdrive had a character creation system with a lot of customization. A customizer for this game wouldn't require as much work as the character creator in that game, as we're not changing Peter Parker's body/build/voice.

That'd be so awesome.
eating-crow6fsu6.jpg

GAMEPROFF said:

peanutbutterlatte said:

ShockingAlberto said:

mazillion

All of that destruction was all Spider-Man's fault. What was he thinking tying a moving helicopter to the building? Why not just follow it or, if you have to stop him right away, jump in.

Experienced Spider-Man you say....

A few things that I hope are in this game are a sprint/parkour button and a charged jump. Not to bring up Spider-Man 2 again, but the joy of sprinting along a rooftop and holding that charge button down to leap by a couple of low structures was awesome.

No sure if I heard it right, but is Greg saying that the developers said that you can customize the suit you have? Time stamped the part in question.

EDIT: Yup, that's what he's tlaking about, I don't know if he misheard or not, but customizing the suit would be pretty damn awesome.

EDIT2: Looks like it was already talked about a few posts up haha

https://youtu.be/qqPhTy1KxU8?t=5m3s

Since people are mentioning Arkham, I really hope we get battle gauntlets. Those trails are really dope when you master the combo system.

Spiderman looks so damn good, y'all trippin

Loved the demo, I wonder what people would rather have though:

Non intractable cut scene watching the crane and what not falling down and spider-man wrapping it up. Or having the crane falling with minimal movement and qte's. I don't think there is a decent way to do a scene(s) that dynamic without either jank controls, or just watching it sadly.

farisr

I don't have an issue with the QTEs at all for setpiece moments like that. Also, apparently (unless I heard wrong) there is alternate progression/fail state scenarios if you miss some of the QTEs rather than just being a reset to checkpoints for every single one, so that makes things a bit more interesting.

.Amen spidey deserves this. I think insomniac will treat it well
Arkham Asylum captured Batman better than any game beforehand, and it's only fitting that it laid the groundwork for finally doing the same for Spiderman

That Kinda Funny video says as much, that the game absolutely nails exactly how you'd expect Spiderman to move and act in every movement and action he does.

Also said that the chase was less scripted than some people are assuming.

Another cool detail was that you can use your gadgets in unique ways and they even interact with enemies and environment in cool ways, specifically talking about that web tripwire

The God

Loved the demo, I wonder what people would rather have though:

Non intractable cut scene watching the crane and what not falling down and spider-man wrapping it up. Or having the crane falling with minimal movement and qte's. I don't think there is a decent way to do a scene(s) that dynamic without either jank controls, or just watching it sadly.

People have dumb expectations and want full control to stop a falling crane and a crashing helicopter in a way that looks just as cinematic as the QTEs

Top Bottom