• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer Comments on Redfall Reception, Says Arkane Will Improve It and Has Good Timeline for 60FPS on Xbox

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
WCCFredfall1.jpg

In the latest episode of the Kinda Funny Games podcast, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer commented on the negative reception to Arkane Austin's Redfall. The executive took full responsibility while saying he won't apologize for the creative aspirations of the teams.

There's nothing that's more difficult for me than disappointing the Xbox company. Just watching the community lose confidence and be disappointed makes me disappointed. I'm upset with myself, making me revisit our process. I think back to the announcement of 60 frames per second, but then we weren't shipping with 60 frames per second and that was kind of our punch in the chin, rightfully, from a couple of weeks ago.

The critical response wasn't what we wanted. I'll pick myself and think, what can we learn, what can we do better? One thing I'll fight is what went wrong. There's clearly quality and execution things that we can do, but one thing I won't do is push against the creative aspirations of our teams. I'm a huge supporter of Arkane Austin. Their track record is awesome. I love a lot of the games that they've built. This is one where the team didn't hit their own internal goals when it launched. I think it is maybe a little simplistic to say, hey, if you would have just delayed for three months, the core creative of the game would have delivered on something that was different than it was.

The team at Arkane is on taking the near-term feedback. We're still working on the 60 frames per second, we have a good timeline for that. We're committed to getting that done. We're going to continue to work the game. I think we've shown a committment to games like Sea of Thieves and Grounded to continue to build games. I also know that these games are $70 and I'll take full responsibility for launching a game that needs to be great.

Needless to say, pressure will increase for Bethesda Game Studios to deliver a great game with Starfield, currently scheduled to be released on September 6th. More information will be shared with the Starfield Direct scheduled for June 11th.

60 FPS was a big deal last week when we didn't realize how bad the game was beyond that. It doesn't matter at this point.

You want to do right? Refund the 26 people who bought this for $70. Make it free, even without GamePass. Apologize. And start full focus on the next SINGLE-PLAYER Arkane game.

Redfall simply isn't worth fixing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
60 FPS should be out right now...game looks like ass.

It's fucked if it cant run at 60
Will be interesting to see how 60 fps affects the rest of the game.

If the game is that unoptimized, a 60 fps patch might keep everything else intact.

But typically for gaming, going from 30 to 60 makes other things worse since double the power is being gobbled up.

Mister Wolf

The game doesn't even look technically impressive. Why isn't it 60 right now? It's not like the game is doing raytraced lighting. Doesn’t Unreal have a built in dynamic resolution scaler? Why could they just have used that?

Top Bottom