• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spain] Sales from Nov 13 to 19: PS5 #1, Switch #2, PS Portal #3, Xbox #4

Killjoy-NL

Series S and X are two models of the same system, just like the One S and X.

Its similar to PS4 and PS4 Pro, 3DS and New 3DS, DS and DSi, Switch Lite and Switch OLED etc. etc.

That's why it's treated that way by every industry tracker.
Different specs, so imo should be considered different systems.

But maybe it's semantics, or maybe poor English on my part. I think it's clear enouhh what I'm getting at.

Specs for both PS5 and PS5 DE are exactly the same.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Are you serious? They locked the thread?
Locked the thread and changed the title to Xbox #3
hZgFfHg.jpg

Woopah

Different specs, so imo should be considered different systems.

But maybe it's semantics, or maybe poor English on my part. I think it's clear enouhh what I'm getting at.

Specs for both PS5 and PS5 DE are exactly the same.
Specs for PS4 and PS4 Pro were different, likewise with GameBoy and GameBoy Colour, DS and DSi, 3DS and New 3DS and Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

At least in terms of sales/reporting, different specs aren't enough of a reason to consider things different consoles.

That's why PS5 Pro won't be considered a separate console from the PS5.

Everyone who would go into the merger thread to say “I don’t think this is cool and it’s weird that you’re cheering capitalist consolidation” would be automatically banned. The whole forum is a Microsoft safe space.

So wait, Judge, long-time moderator of ResetEra... is a Microsoft employee? As someone who caught a lot of bans for mocking acquisition cheerleading and the idolisation of Phil Spencer, which eventually led to me being permanently banned from the site, this sure does make a whole lot of sense.

Is that not a conflict of interest? How can moderation of a site like that remain impartial and fair when one of the moderators literally works for one of the Big Three. No wonder ResetEra's reputation is in tatters these days.
I had the same fate lol

I absolutely understand the use case, I have and use a deck for similar reasons.

I just think the implementation (it's not a direct connection, you don't even have that option) and quality (it's LCD instead of OLED for a start) it offers are shoddy for the price. I expect better from Sony.

Impressions on the screen are pretty good and it’s got a dual sense controller

Price is reasonable, they have to sell it at a profit unlike the ps5 console

I wouldn’t be opposed to a more premium player but that would probably price at 299

Killjoy-NL

Specs for PS4 and PS4 Pro were different, likewise with GameBoy and GameBoy Colour, DS and DSi, 3DS and New 3DS and Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

At least in terms of sales/reporting, different specs aren't enough of a reason to consider things different consoles.

That's why PS5 Pro won't be considered a separate console from the PS5.
Perhaps.

Doesn't even matter much anyway. 16:1 in favor of PS5 is ridiculously pathetic for Xbox.

Dr_Ifto

I heard something around the portal will get game streaming to it outside of using the PS5. Is that true? Maybe they can patch more into it like video streaming or something. Make it very versatile.

Being higher than the XBS now, is just launch period. It will smooth out.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I heard something around the portal will get game streaming to it outside of using the PS5. Is that true? Maybe they can patch more into it like video streaming or something. Make it very versatile.

Sony will never allow the PS Portal as a way to stream PS+ game, why they have to dilute the PS ecosystem?

Luckily they are not stupid as MS.

PS Portal is a reason more to get a PS5, not the other way around.
They could make a different version that doesn't require a PS5 and sell it for $300-$350. Make it where you have to sub to PSPlus to use it. Offset and still pull people into their ecosystem

Millions of people have great wifi in their homes though. So it's for a decent amount of people. Plus a DualSense costs $70. Throw a screen on it and no way it was going to sell for a dollar under $150. So yeah.....it's also a profit making machine.

But they do need to add cloud gaming on it. I think they'll add it by the end of 2025. Sony is always slow with stuff like that.

It's not even about just home use, either. When I found out you can basically use your home PS5 as a remote server over public wifi networks wherever you happen to be (well outside the home), that's when the Portal actually started to make sense to me as a device.

Basically, it's a portable PS5 via streaming. Not necessarily cloud streaming (not yet, anyway), but streaming nonetheless. No need to split dev resources between two independent platforms. No need to split marketing costs. No need to add unnecessary production expenses. Take your PS5 games on the go, at home or on the road. Just make sure your PS5 at home is turned on and hooked up to your home network (preferably wired if you're out on the go).

From that understanding I can see why the Portal is doing so well, and it was really necessary for markets like Japan IMO.

Sony will never allow the PS Portal as a way to stream PS+ game, why they have to dilute the PS ecosystem?

Yeah that's what I see them doing too, at least for a few years. FWIW they could always add a tier for PS+ focused strictly on cloud gaming, but the thing is even if they do that it wouldn't likely impact PS5 console sales. PS+ is mainly for catalog/legacy content, not new releases.

I think cloud streaming to PS Portal will probably be tied to the console in some way, but it could be a neat way of adding value to PSVR2 (or a future PSVR headset). I'm actually more interested in Sony exploring streaming for a future PSVR headset, that way production costs could come down dramatically, slimmer designs can be had, and cheaper entry-level models can be made. You wouldn't need so much stuff built into the headset itself for local data processing, if you can just stream tightly from the console itself. I'd expect the PS Link tech to be improved on and utilized for such a purpose.

That could hopefully allow a great entry price point for quality VR headsets, and maybe even bundle one as default in next generation of consoles (which I think, is needed if VR or AR are to become mainstream. They have to be a core part of the experience, not just an optional peripheral. But they'd have to make certain it doesn't come at the expense of console performance or software, a mistake Microsoft didn't avoid with XBO (the Kinect 2 itself was pretty solid quality tech-wise but came at the expense of XBO hardware performance and focus).

Last edited:

vivftp

It's something Sony is looking into. They have PS+ Premium cloud streaming which very recently got a large boost with the introduction of PS5 hardware into the cloud, along with resolution boosts and other benefits. Here's an interview with Hideaki Nishino (SVP, Platform Experience) where it's noted:

In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are only different in terms of where the server is, and there are no technical problems. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification.

So there is no real restriction on making the Portal do cloud streaming, they just have to take it one step at a time. The next step to making it feasible to do PS+ cloud streaming on the Portal is to create an Android app, since that's what the Portal runs. Once an Android app is created that will also open the door to doing PS+ cloud streaming on phones, tablets, Bravia TVs and Afeela EVs. We already know that Sony wants to put cloud streaming into their upcoming EVs.

You have been able to do PS+ cloud streaming to PC for years. The upgraded PS+ cloud service with PS5 game streaming is currently only on PS5, but it will roll out to more platforms in time. The rollout to PS5 was a large undertaking and it makes sense to start by rolling it out to the one platform they have the most control over. If they're supporting streaming on PC then there's no reason not to support streaming on the Portal. They'll still be raking in cash via PS+ Premium subscriptions. Not to mention they've been rolling out the ability to play some of your digitally owned games via the cloud, so they can also pull in revenue from folks who want to buy games digitally and stream.

They could make a different version that doesn't require a PS5 and sell it for $300-$350. Make it where you have to sub to PSPlus to use it. Offset and still pull people into their ecosystem

This doesn't make sense and is not necessary. It is within the capability of the Portal to do cloud streaming, Sony just has to create an Android cloud streaming app and then update the Portal to support it. No separate or upgraded device needed. They're looking into it, the Portal just launched and their updated cloud service just launched. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Portal supporting cloud by the first half of 2024.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They could make it so in order to stream from the cloud you need to validate your Portal with an actual PS console, but when doing premium streaming it takes it from the cloud instead of the PS.

So youd still need to be connected to a PS5 and navigate towards premium catalogue and press stream via remote play, then it switches. 🤷‍♂️

vivftp

They could make it so in order to stream from the cloud you need to validate your Portal with an actual PS console, but when doing premium streaming it takes it from the cloud instead of the PS.

So youd still need to be connected to a PS5 and navigate towards premium catalogue and press stream via remote play, then it switches. 🤷‍♂️

These are unnecessary steps and ignores the fact that folks can do PS+ cloud streaming on PC today just fine (not the newer PS5 version yet) without the need for a console to do anything. Once the Portal is updated to support cloud, it'll likely be as simple as turn on the Portal and choose to either connect via remote play or cloud streaming and you're good to go.

PlayStation Black Friday Numbers across Europe are something else entirely, here's Spain:

Spain | Week 46, 2023 | Retail

Hogwarts Legacy (Switch): ~23.000 / New
Super Mario RPG (Switch): 9.500 / New
EA Sports FC 24 (PS5):
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch):
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5):
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III (PS5):
Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch):
EA Sports FC 24 (PS4):
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch):
EA Sports FC 24 (Switch):

Persona 5 Tactica (ALL): 2.300 / New
Persona 5 Tactica (Switch): 1.300 / New
Persona 5 Tactica (PS4+PS5) 9:1 (XBS)

Hardware:

PS5: 32.000 / 385.200 YTD / ~1.000.000 LTD
Switch: 6.000 / 273.200 YTD
PlayStation Portal: 5.700 / New
XBS: 2.000 / 63.800 YTD

PS5 Best Weeks

FW: 48.000
W46, 2023: 32.000
W51, 2021: 22.500
Just when PS5 does 9:1 vs Xbox and you think it can’t get much worse you get 16:1 omg… it’s getting completely destroyed and even the portal almost sells triple of an actual console.

FrankWza

This doesn't make sense and is not necessary. It is within the capability of the Portal to do cloud streaming, Sony just has to create an Android cloud streaming app and then update the Portal to support it. No separate or upgraded device needed. They're looking into it, the Portal just launched and their updated cloud service just launched. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Portal supporting cloud by the first half of 2024.
It makes plenty of sense. I was responding to diluting the PS ecosystem. If a PS5 isn't necessary they lose a sale on a PS5. If you make a a separate Portal that doesn't require one, you charge more for it and that offsets the loss on the console and peripherals. You don't alienate early adopters and you force a PS sub because, how else are you using it with no storage. Plus, the Explore Link connection is built in so you don't need to do anything else hardware - wise. It's not necessary from a build standpoint but it makes sense for their brand and profits

Last edited:

vivftp

It makes plenty of sense. I was responding to diluting the PS ecosystem. If a PS5 isn't necessary they lose a sale on a PS5. If you make a a separate Portal that doesn't require one, you charge more for it and that offsets the loss on the console and peripherals. You don't alienate early adopters and you force a PS sub because, how else are you using it with no storage. Plus, the Explore Link connection is built in so you don't need to do anything else hardware - wise. It's not necessary from a build standpoint but it makes sense for their brand and profits

... You do realize that Sony first party doesn't launch on PS+ and neither do bigger third parties, right? Many of those big games that people buy the PS5 for don't show up on PS+ until much later, so the impact on consoles sales is negligible at best. Same with releasing their games on PC years afterwards.

It's an entry point into part of the ecosystem, not the whole ecosystem. The whole ecosystem is so very much more. It can help get some people in through the door and at that point once they have a taste they may want more by buying a PS5. Or buying some Pulse earbuds/headset. It provides recurring revenue to Sony via subscriptions. Hell, it's very easy to argue that the Portal with cloud support is a more beneficial entry point into the ecosystem for Sony than the PC is because Sony makes direct revenue off of the Portal sale, subscription sales and possibly headset/earbud sales. And again, Sony are doing cloud streaming to PC right now, and have been for many years.

The PS ecosystem would not be diluted in any way, shape or form.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But this does alienate early adopters.

Woopah

My first post so please forgive me if I'm out of line but how does that make sense when the switch sold more then the portal and its a 7 year old system?
I think they are just saying that we shouldn't expect Portal to sell as good every week as it did in its launch week.

FrankWza

You do realize that Sony first party doesn't launch on PS+ and neither do bigger third parties, right?
And you will never buy them without that PS5 because you don't need a PS5. Which decreases revenue and profit.
It's an entry point into part of the ecosystem, not the whole ecosystem.
A potentially less profitable part. So you charge more for a Portal that doesn't need a PS5. That's how you offset. You're limiting them but you you are also limited on how much that consumer will spend.
But this does alienate early adopters.
No because we have PS5 consoles and access to everything. Console plus $200 for Portal. They would be $300-350 for just a Portal.

vivftp

And you will never buy them without that PS5 because you don't need a PS5. Which decreases revenue and profit.

A potentially less profitable part. So you charge more for a Portal that doesn't need a PS5. That's how you offset. You're limiting them but you you are also limited on how much that consumer will spend.

No because we have PS5 consoles and access to everything. Console plus $200 for Portal. They would be $300-350 for just a Portal.

This tangent is irrelevant. The Portal exists and we know Sony are looking into adding cloud support. This hypothetical $300-$350 more expensive version isn't going to happen.

rapid32.5

Would be an incentive to make changes for MS since their vision doesn't work. Make Games actually Exclusive even Starfield and release two years later on PC.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Why not just allow the current PlayStation portal have access to cloud gaming, but not all PlayStation 5 games? I think that's the best middle ground for all parties.

mckmas8808

Highest tier ps plus subscription. They aren’t losing money nor software sales.

If anything Sony would be more likely to increase the price of PlayStation Plus premium and then give access to portal users to play cloud gaming on it. But either way we all should be 90% sure that cloud gaming is coming to the PlayStation portal sometime in the future.

Top Bottom