• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Dragonship Endeavor Launch: The Future Begins Now

Wish SpaceX, NASA and the astronauts the best with this launch and docking, it's critical this goes smoothly so commercialization of space doesn't drop to a fucking government red tape crawl.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m sitting here waiting for this, I hope everything goes as planned. Feels like we have been lacking in the space exploration department for the last 10 years or so.

E-Cat

Weather is looking pretty bad, hopefully there will be a lucky gap or it's looking scrubbed for today...

Jezbollah

Yep looks like a tropical storm developing there right now. Don't be surprised if this gets scrubbed till Saturday.

TheMan

So is this the first time a commercially-produced vessel will rendez-vous with the ISS?

Also, no one is talking about the space suits! Finally a completely new design.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
this dude is almost as hype as me

"The willingness to fail is something that NASA has lacked for a really long time, but it's what enables SpaceX to move so fast, to rapidly iterate and improve."

This is something specific to Elon's companies. He believes in his vision enough -- and subsequently his investors and the public do, too -- to stay along for a bumpy ride, and he goes all-in 24/7 on rapid iteration until his vision is realized. There are just enough successes to mitigate the failures, riding that razor's edge to the point we're at today.

So is this the first time a commercially-produced vessel will rendez-vous with the ISS?

Also, no one is talking about the space suits! Finally a completely new design.

no spaceX has been shipping cargo to the ISS for a while now on this same rocket platform, this is the first Human Crew

I like these suits don't love them but they are far better than those old bulky things

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I won't be surprised if this gets scrubbed to the alternate date. Kinda feels like old times, getting excited for a shuttle launch only to have it delayed for weather.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
very exciting. my old roommate worked for a machining company on the east coast that was working with Space X over the last few years.

it's interesting to look at the history of rocketry in America. it was nearly a hundred years ago when people started doing experiments to see if it was possible. this is something that is easy to forget in modern times, there was a long time when rockets were considered silly and impossible. the things of science fiction that were shamed by the media even a hundred years ago.

in fact the NYT publicly shamed pioneering American rocket scientist Robert Goddard, publishing dismissive articles that ridiculed his ideas, causing him to abandon the discipline entirely. when later pioneers like Jack Parsons saught Goddard out, he was unwilling to share any of his data, the experience was just that traumatic. it set back rocket science for decades.

The publication of Goddard's document gained him national attention from U.S. newspapers, most of it negative. Although Goddard's discussion of targeting the moon was only a small part of the work as a whole (eight lines on the next to last page of 69 pages), and was intended as an illustration of the possibilities rather than a declaration of intent, the papers sensationalized his ideas to the point of misrepresentation and ridicule. Even the Smithsonian had to abstain from publicity because of the amount of ridiculous correspondence received from the general public.:113 David Lasser, who co-founded the American Rocket Society (ARS), wrote in 1931 that Goddard was subjected in the press to the "most violent attacks."

its funny to see so many people hating on Elon Musk in a similar way. the more things change the more they stay the same. the press will always suck i guess. this only makes it more cool. Space X can be luck, fuck the haters, we are going to space.

the space race was largely driven by the Cold War, and was one half of a coin that had "nuclear winter" written all over it. glad to see space exploration being explored in the private sphere for once, rather than by war hungry governments. wonder what kind of innovations will come from this...

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Suits are pretty stylish. One of the guys looks way more pumped than the other lol.

Last edited:
I have admit, though, that I thought the suits would look even more stylish when they presented them a while ago.
I am not sure I like the new look already..

Massive step for space travel in general that NASA, a government agency, is using a private company's rocket to get to space.

These are crazy times to be alive.

Those poor astronauts have to stare at that boring screen for two and a half hours now instead of playing a game on it while waiting for the launch.

Looks like a police vehicle yeah.

the high security makes sense.

When I watched Demo 1 i know that thing can fly itself without a problem with a dummy on board and a stuffed toy.

Now during the Demo 2 stream, I am watching these 2 guys keeping themselves super busy using buttons and touch screen. I are they still going to use Autopilot?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
the high security makes sense.

When I watched Demo 1 i know that thing can fly itself without a problem with a dummy on board and a stuffed toy.

Now during the Demo 2 stream, I am watching these 2 guys keeping themselves super busy using buttons and touch screen. I are they still going to use Autopilot?

Yeah. If everything goes smoothly, they won’t need to touch the controls themselves. They’ll be ready to take control at any moment though if a catastrophic failure happens and they need to.

keraj37

I hope history will not repeat

Top Bottom