• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX CRS-11: Making history with Dragons @ 21:55 UTC

Par Score

SpaceX_CRS-11_Patch.png

5:55 p.m. EDT / 21:55 UTC
Launching a refurbished Dragon capsule to the ISS.
Landing the first stage back at the launch site.
Reusability. Makes. Space. Cheaper.

What's the mission?
SpaceX said:
SpaceX is targeting launch of its eleventh Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-11) from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is on Thursday, June 1 at 5:55 p.m. EDT or 21:55 UTC, with a backup launch attempt on Saturday, June 3 at 5:07 p.m. EDT or 21:07 UTC. Dragon will separate from Falcon 9's second stage about 10 minutes after liftoff and attach to the station on June 4.

The CRS-11 mission will be the 100th launch from historic LC-39A at Kennedy Space Center. Following stage separation, the first stage of Falcon 9 will attempt to land at SpaceX's Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Why is it special?
Futurism said:
Tomorrow (June 1, 2017) will be a landmark date for commercial space travel. SpaceX is set to become the first privately owned company to perform multiple orbital flights to space using the same aircraft. On 21st September 2014, using the Falcon 9 rocket, this same Dragon CRS-4 delivered 2.5 tons of cargo to the International Space Station (ISS).

It is one of only a handful of previous multi-orbit space flights — and all of the others were undertaken by governments. They include: the NASA orbiters Atlantis, Challenger, Columbia, Discovery, and Endeavour, which made dozens of missions but were hideously expensive to repair. There was also the X-37B, which Boeing built under commission by the U.S Air Force, and the Soviet VA spacecraft, which only orbited the Earth once on its second voyage.

While it is unclear how much the Dragon CRS-4 has had to be repaired, and exactly how much it cost, the savings are expected to be considerable. Moreover, this is nonetheless a landmark in breaching the final frontier, as private individuals are truly entering the space race, and this will play a major role in making space both commercially available and also affordable.

How do I watch?
Webcast

Crispy75

Also worth noting is that this launch is perfectly aligned for an overhead pass of Dragon, the 2nd stage and the ISS over Southern England and Northern Europe, according to this reddit post.

In London, look West at around 23:13 (but I'd give yourself a few minutes beforehand - this isn't an accurate prediction), just to the right of the setting moon. Dragon should arc across the Southern sky for about 2m30s before disappearing into the Earth's shadow. The discarded 2nd stage should be flying more or less in formation, having only separated 5 minutes prior.

And then because it's headed to the ISS's orbit, it means that you'll see the ISS follow the same trajectory a little later at 23:33.

If you head outside earlier in the evening, you'll be able to see the ISS make a very close overhead pass at 09:57, from West to East almost directly overhead for about 5 minutes. This is about as good a view as you'll ever get in the UK

Now, sod off clouds.

kami_sama

I was confused at first, because I thought they were talking about the booster, but the previously flown thing is the Dragon capsule.
I really hope it flies as good as the first time.

Donos

Even if these are little steps, it really fills me with exitement that it's at least is moving forward / progressing.

Par Score

Weather is looking very dodgy at this point.

Like all ISS launches there is an instantaneous launch window, so any holds or delays mean it'll be scrubbed until Saturday.

Ephemeris

I went on a NASA tour last weekend, was gonna take the day off to check out the launch in person today. As I type this the thunder is going crazy an hour away in Orlando.

Crispy75

Boo :( Perfect clear skies here in London and everything. The earlier pass of the ISS was the best I've ever seen.

Jezbollah

This is disappointing - had a PERFECT view of the moon from my back garden, was looking forward to the dragon + stage 2 transit. :(

Crispy75

This is disappointing - had a PERFECT view of the moon from my back garden, was looking forward to the dragon + stage 2 transit. :(

Don't worry, Saturday should be an even better opportunity - the spacecraft will stay in sunlight for longer due to the earlier launch time. So long as the sky is clear...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't worry, Saturday should be an even better opportunity - the spacecraft will stay in sunlight for longer due to the earlier launch time. So long as the sky is clear...

Still flying over the uk as before? Bit overcast now though..

jett

D-Member
Man they're really perfecting this shit to the point where it just seems like the standard thing to do.

Top Bottom