• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Wants to Replace Video Game Forums to Reduce Spoilers

ManaByte

Gold Member
Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

xrnzaaas

Hey Sony, how about you talk to youtube to make them stop promoting videos showing major spoilers and endings. That would be a good first step since many people watch videos to figure out puzzle solutions etc.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That issue was solved before by Nintendo with Miiverse but abandoned. They could just copy that but monitoring it would be extensive.

Neff

I got spoiled on a death and a weapon in Ragnarok while looking up how to make the raft go back to the mines so this is probably aimed at me even though I don't actually want it.

Larxia

I think the best ways to reduce spoilers would be :

- Bann youtube videos with spoiler in the title / thumbnail. Sooo many times I've been spoiled like this, just a few days after the release of something. Youtube should really do something against that.

- Stop recommending spoilers when you search for something in google for example... Same, I've been multiple times spoiled like this. I'm watching a tv show, or playing a game, I search something about it or a character, and the first suggested search will be " *random character name* death". Now whenever I search something, I don't look at the screen until I typed my full search lol.

hinch7

Ngl I have been spoiled in the past this way - GoW Ragnarok, most recently.. by trying to find a guide. So this may be a good way if they can implement it well, without it being cumbersome to use.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ are you spy? Are you trying to cancel neogaf? Is this why you leave laugh emojis on every comment? As you know your overlord Sony is going to close us down?! 👀

anthony2690

Banned
Hey Sony, how about you talk to youtube to make them stop promoting videos showing major spoilers and endings. That would be a good first step since many people watch videos to figure out puzzle solutions etc.
That's probably why they decided to have everyone in Ragnarok & Forbidden West tell you the answer to the puzzle before you even look at it.

They are thinking about you and saving you from YouTube spoilers, so you don't have to YouTube puzzle solutions.

smart-thinking.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ are you spy? Are you trying to cancel neogaf? Is this why you leave laugh emojis on every comment? As you know your overlord Sony is going to close us down?! 👀
Sony found out that drowning forum posts with lame emojis didn't fix anything so now they try with other options.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sony appears to be working on a special social community system that could, in theory, help reduce the number of spoilers present in the various online gaming communities for story-based games. The company behind the PlayStation brand has already patented a number of features that seem to think outside the box when it comes to solving certain industry problems, and its latest listing is particularly interesting for its approach to the matter at hand.

Specifically, Sony claims that its newly patented feature would be positioned to outright replace gaming forums dedicated to helping players get through difficult sections of video games. The listing describes a special feature that would connect players depending on their in-game progression to promote discussion and, if they're both stuck, have them try to figure out a solution in tandem. The patent specifically mentions that it would be useful in games such as The Witcher 3 and God of War, explaining that the proposed "real-time social experience" would be preferable to the experience of browsing an old-school gaming forum, as it would provide organic solutions without exposing players to various narrative spoilers.

pbvodkyeihv2lzizzduvc-mphiqoslt7peghntt6-cs8yr7a8wbnngy-jdxmsdtf9wbq6e7lve5anisb3f0oce5b5f5dzkgwclwgbw1-vldxhlvov93rc-2wessoanfnh0kcvr1megsdfacwlligla0as6mjjbaaqh0y1kyt-3owky4oq7ucc3zfuidcihta-1.jpg

Some nerds at Sony have too much spare time.

SLESS

That patent doesn’t describe what the article is saying. I can see that and I’m an idiot, so….

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sony is just barfing out patents willy nilly to make something stick, almost none of them will come to life.

Top Bottom