• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Wants to Replace Video Game Forums to Reduce Spoilers

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony appears to be working on a special social community system that could, in theory, help reduce the number of spoilers present in the various online gaming communities for story-based games. The company behind the PlayStation brand has already patented a number of features that seem to think outside the box when it comes to solving certain industry problems, and its latest listing is particularly interesting for its approach to the matter at hand.

Specifically, Sony claims that its newly patented feature would be positioned to outright replace gaming forums dedicated to helping players get through difficult sections of video games. The listing describes a special feature that would connect players depending on their in-game progression to promote discussion and, if they're both stuck, have them try to figure out a solution in tandem. The patent specifically mentions that it would be useful in games such as The Witcher 3 and God of War, explaining that the proposed "real-time social experience" would be preferable to the experience of browsing an old-school gaming forum, as it would provide organic solutions without exposing players to various narrative spoilers.

pbvodkyeihv2lzizzduvc-mphiqoslt7peghntt6-cs8yr7a8wbnngy-jdxmsdtf9wbq6e7lve5anisb3f0oce5b5f5dzkgwclwgbw1-vldxhlvov93rc-2wessoanfnh0kcvr1megsdfacwlligla0as6mjjbaaqh0y1kyt-3owky4oq7ucc3zfuidcihta-1.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
If discussing a particular piece of a game was all forums was about, then sure it would be a great idea.

But its not just about that, so this will fall flat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Replace them with what ?

Their "experts" they wanted to hire ?

good luck.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Social media is 10X worse at spoiling games than forums.
I haven't been buying games at launch for the past 2 years and have yet to be spoiled on anything. Most gaming sites/podcasts do a good job warning about spoilers as do people here on GAF. But I don't use Twitter/Facebook which is where most spoilers seem to be thrown around.

The only things that's sometimes hard to avoid is spoilery youtube thumbnails

Aranea

I mean if you think about it Sony already did that. As they shut down the official PlayStation Forum 2 years ago and told people to use reddit instead. Anyway avoiding spoilers is difficult these days as those Youtube thumbnails have spoiled me a couple of times.

Razvedka

Banned
And I want to replace my houses dependence on externally produced electricity with a zero point energy reactor in my basement.

pqueue

you do not need forums for help/.

Sony has gimped all of their games so much by having the characters constantly BROADCAST what needs to be done, every step of the way.
Literally no time for the player to figure it out on their own before Aloy, Kratos, Atreus, Drake, whatever tells you what needs to be done

Last edited:

sainraja

Probably.
But all those patents we see mentioned here are dystopic as fuck.
The intent is worrying enough.
If you read what it is saying, it is not as nefarious as you are taking it:

"The listing describes a special feature that would connect players depending on their in-game progression to promote discussion and, if they're both stuck, have them try to figure out a solution in tandem. The patent specifically mentions that it would be useful in games such as The Witcher 3 and God of War, explaining that the proposed "real-time social experience" would be preferable to the experience of browsing an old-school gaming forum, as it would provide organic solutions without exposing players to various narrative spoilers."

They want to create an engaging social platform for people looking for help in games to avoid spoilers and get the help they need. Now, if they are actually able to create such a thing remains to be seen.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

To be fair the text of the article also says exactly the same thing as the headline, just in so many more words:

Specifically, Sony claims that its newly patented feature would be positioned to outright replace gaming forums dedicated to helping players get through difficult sections of video games. The listing describes a special feature that would connect players depending on their in-game progression to promote discussion and, if they're both stuck, have them try to figure out a solution in tandem. The patent specifically mentions that it would be useful in games such as The Witcher 3 and God of War, explaining that the proposed "real-time social experience" would be preferable to the experience of browsing an old-school gaming forum, as it would provide organic solutions without exposing players to various narrative spoilers.

Topher

Gold Member
To be fair the text of the article also says exactly the same thing as the headline, just in so many more words:

I'm just messing around. The problem with the article is they don't even bother to link to the patent so we have to take their word for it.......and I'm not going to do that with most sites I consider legit much less sites I think are trash like gamerant. In any case, we should all know better than to buy into believing anything regarding these patents.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably nothing, but even the idea itself is retarded as fuck. As if they got power to do it.
Whats next? Patent to censor the internet?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm just messing around. The problem with the article is they don't even bother to link to the patent so we have to take their word for it.......and I'm not going to do that with most sites I consider legit much less sites I think are trash like gamerant. In any case, we should all know better than to buy into believing anything regarding these patents.
So you're telling me I shouldn't get my news from a news site with rant in the title?

Last edited:
This sounds interesting if you actually read the description. If two random people are stuck in the same spot of a game, giving both of them the ability to chat with each other to figure it out together seems kind of like a clever and good idea?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RIP Neogaf, it was fun while it lasted
/s

do they not realize that they themselves implemented a system for ps plus where people could find guides without ever having to go to google...? or the fact there are plenty of sites that exist that provide spoiler free guides for games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Didn't the PS5 have those hint card thingies that you had to be a Plus subscriber to see, and only like 2 games made use of them?

Esca

Replace? Lol
I think the idea is cool and should be something to enhance what is already there

YouTube is the only real problem. A couple people I subscribed to had nonstop God of War stuff. Those thumbnails can ruin shit. Even just random stuff in your feed.

After watching the Avatar 2 trailers, I started seeing people posting 'other' clips from the movie in my feed and its the thumbnails that give it away. Ended up just staying off youtube for a few days until I saw the movie myself.

I really hate that about youtube.

Kadve

Sorry Sony but spoilers isn't something you should try to regulate. It will just make trolls even more determined.

Fake

First Microsoft with ADs on your game screen, now Sony with this stupid ideia.

Whats up this generation? Bunch of freaks.

Rayderism

Gaming forums have been essentially useless for actual game help for years. They're mostly used for complaining about every little technical shortcoming a game might have these days.

If I'm stuck in a game, I just use Google and the solution is usually within the first few results. I don't want to chat with some random schmuck to figure it out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
right-dr-evil.gif

More like nuke any kind of possibility for people to be able to spread word of mouth when one of their games turns out to be shite.

And that's after they already removed user reviews from their shitty storefront.

Top Bottom