• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Wants To Grow PlayStation By Making Xbox Smaller, Phil Spencer Says

Flutta

Banned
You can clearly tell who the PS fanboys are in this thread. At least I’ll get to play Starfield on my Xbox when it releases. Pc players will enjoy it too. PS losses out, now you know that’s how it feels. I’m sick of all the fucking exclusivity deals Sony has with multi platform content in multi-platform games. Fuck off Sony PS. They can’t even keep a good IP going like Gravity Rush and kill the servers, fuck Sony PlayStation.
Dave Chappelle Laughing GIF by Saturday Night Live

levyjl1988

Banned
"But he started it!" Dude.....that is literally a children's take on things.

There's even a gif for it...

season 3 GIF

And who cares who started it when every company has done it? At some point I think everyone should realize this and get over this idea that one corporation is good and another is evil. They all just want your money.
Well, money isn't an issue for me. I can afford whatever I want to buy. What bothers me is the ill feelings Sony gave me growing up, that shit just doesn't vanish. So I'm glad Sony Playstation is getting butthurt over this.
If Sony can up and acquire Bungie then Microsoft can up and acquire Activision. It's between Microsoft and Activision. Sony is saying it isn't fair, they took Bungie away. Sony can fuck off.

John Wick

It's not "bad". It's only bad as it will force Sony to finally think outside the box and level the playing field. There's nothing inherently wrong there. It's competition. What the naysayers are upset about is the status quo being changed. Being challenged. Change is hard. I get it. But it happens all the same. Sony is not immune to this.
Yes it is bad. All big tech needs raining in. Those days of Google, Facebook etc buying up anything and everything are over.

John Wick

Well, money isn't an issue for me. I can afford whatever I want to buy. What bothers me is the ill feelings Sony gave me growing up, that shit just doesn't vanish. So I'm glad Sony Playstation is getting butthurt over this.
If Sony can up and acquire Bungie then Microsoft can up and acquire Activision. It's between Microsoft and Activision. Sony is saying it isn't fair, they took Bungie away. Sony can fuck off.
Why don't you write to the FTC about how butthurt you are? Maybe they will allow MS to buy Activision with major concessions in place?
Also MS also took Bungie away but I didn't see you crying about it then?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ah the tried and true bullshit argument. Meanwhile, this is your PC.

It isn't a bullshit argument at all. Plenty of Xbox fans correctly point out that Microsoft has expanded the ways people can enjoy games to PC, mobile etc. Factually, a PC gamer will have more overlap in games in buying an Xbox than they would buying a PlayStation.

lol....ok, you must be trolling at this point. You've got to be if you are throwing out the childhood trauma card over fucking video games. If you are serious about that bullshit....

200.gif

Last edited:

BV7tuC1.png

John Wick

I have all the consoles, I dislike Sony’s system more though. If you need proof, you can see my post in the gaming setup thread.

I fucking hate Sony’s console the most, I mean it’s kinda archaic with how save transfers work and you can’t play backwards comparability with PS2 and PS3 games, they killed Gravity Rush’s 2 server so you can’t even unlock content in single player. I don’t like Sony PS. I disliked their console for their un-ergonomic controller since the PS2 and PS3 days as they gave me hand cramps, and had to resort to using third party controller adapters to play their first party games.
Reading this Why would you even own a Playstation console? The hate you have for the company is like biting your nose off to spite your face.

I know precisely what trust regulators do. If we're being honest in this conversation, such a huge acquisition should be looked at closely. I have no quarrels there. But let's face it, this entire ABK deal is becoming a farce on massive proportions. These guys have no real basis to even attempt to block this deal. Their arguments hold no water to the point that the FTC is using hypothetical or even "misrepresented facts" to even have an argument.

That's something regulators aren't supposed to do: protect the dominant market leader from competition. It doesn't matter if Xbox needs ABK or not (mileage may vary depending on your opinion of it) What matters is that Activision is selling, Microsoft is seeking to buy. Scrutinize the deal! I totally get it. But don't lean heavy on hypotheticals and false accusations to make an argument in hopes of blocking a deal that harms no one other player on this game BUT Sony. That's simply not their job.
The point of the regulators is to make sure the deal doesn't end up hurting you, me, everyone else. They are not there to defend corpo A vs corpo B. You are not the one to determine if there's basis or not to block this deal, they are. And it's possible that a regulator, say, in the US will approve, but another one in the EU or UK would block it. There are different laws and standards of consumer protection.

I'll remind you that Nvidia was looking to buy ARM for around 40Bil from Softbank a couple years ago. That deal was also being looked into heavily and was looking like it might get blocked so finally Nvidia called it quits.

This MS x Activision deal is of almost double the value so 100% it's going to be very closely considered. In my opinion there's more of a chance it gets blocked in Europe than in the US, so the fact the FTC is looking to sue on it paints a very dark picture for it's conclusion.

And guess what, we, the consumer, lose nothing for this deal being stopped. All those games were multiplatform, so Xbox consumers will get exactly the same games they would get if the deal went through.

It would be for the best if Phil gets the chop. The guy can’t deliver games with 20+ studios ffs. It’s time for him to go.

At the end of the day, it comes down to quality rather than quantity.

Put things into perspective against Sony. If Sony could trade their studios for Microsoft's, which would they even be interested in and which studios would they give up to get them?

Bethesda
iD Software

Are probably the only two

Bethesda made Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Skyrim did 30 million copies but required a multitude of platforms to do so. In terms of potential, and consistency of sales, I'd maybe give up Guerrilla Games for them, but not Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Bungie, or Santa Monica.

The biggest problem for Bethesda is that its quality is seen as diminished rather than rising. Can they replicate the success of Skyrim and can they do it on fewer platforms?

As for iD Software, Doom isn't nearly as popular as people think it is. I'd have to think long and hard before trading for them. I wouldn't trade Bluepoint or media molecule for them, but MAYBE housemarque again based mostly on potential.

Sony's studios run circles around Microsoft's.

John Wick

Sony and Microsoft are essentially doing the same thing. Sony is just leaning heavily on piece meal deals (because that's all they can really afford) and Microsoft has the financial backing to buy the restaurant. And frankly, they haven't taken current games or broken any 3rd party deals Sony has made in the past away at all. What they've stated is that new IP will be exclusive on a case by case basis. That makes sense to me as there are no large communities attached to new IPs. And, Microsoft is now up to compete with Sony head on! The only difference here is that Microsoft is NOW flexing the financial muscle they've always had. The fabled war chest is real and wide open.

The true issue in all this is Sony is up against a huge tech company worth trillions of dollars, and they can't compete against a exceedingly rich and resourceful company like Microsoft. Detach any loyalty or personal feelings from these facts, and it was inevitable that Sony was going to have a very difficult time competing with that. Regardless if that's just in the last couple of years, or 2030.
Can you explain why MS seem to love to complain about Google and search? Or why they sneakily grass on other big tech firms?
C'mon Nadella compete don't cry like a bitch when other trillion dollar companies stick it up your arse!

John Wick

The point of the regulators is to make sure the deal doesn't end up hurting you, me, everyone else. They are not there to defend corpo A vs corpo B. You are not the one to determine if there's basis or not to block this deal, they are. And it's possible that a regulator, say, in the US will approve, but another one in the EU or UK would block it. There are different laws and standards of consumer protection.

I'll remind you that Nvidia was looking to buy ARM for around 40Bil from Softbank a couple years ago. That deal was also being looked into heavily and was looking like it might get blocked so finally Nvidia called it quits.

This MS x Activision deal is of almost double the value so 100% it's going to be very closely considered. In my opinion there's more of a chance it gets blocked in Europe than in the US, so the fact the FTC is looking to sue on it paints a very dark picture for it's conclusion.

And guess what, we, the consumer, lose nothing for this deal being stopped. All those games were multiplatform, so Xbox consumers will get exactly the same games they would get if the deal went through.
He's pro Xbox how could he ever see this deal being bad for the games industry? Activision and Bethesda were making games for all. MS want to change that but he doesn't see anything wrong with it lmfao

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Can you explain why MS seem to love to complain about Google and search? Or why they sneakily grass on other big tech firms?
C'mon Nadella compete don't cry like a bitch when other trillion dollar companies stick it up your arse!
I honestly don't care about the other shit. I don't even follow it. That said, it's the game industry I'm more involved with.

John Wick

Bruh, Microsoft will still be in 3rd place in revenue even after the merger of ABK. There's no monopoly. Lol
Bro it's not just about being a Monopoly. There was no need for MS to buy Bethesda or ABK. They are 3rd party and were making games for all. MS can make timed marketing exclusive deals etc just like Sony. Infact they can make more as they have the money. How many games and IP will MS have control over once this deal is finalised? That's a huge amount of games from both pubs which could be removed from PS and other platforms.

Gavon West

If I'm being honest, I also think this deal has more of a chance of being blocked with MS and ABK. Still, the reasons of it being blocked are preposterous! And I don't agree it's inherently bad for the industry at all. Microsoft will keep CoD on all platforms. It ain't going anywhere. But at the same stance, it's much bigger than just CoD.

Regardless of how the deal goes down, it's going to change the gaming landscape in one way or another. This deal will definitely change the dynamics within the status quo, for better or worse.

Gavon West

Bro it's not just about being a Monopoly. There was no need for MS to buy Bethesda or ABK. They are 3rd party and were making games for all. MS can make timed marketing exclusive deals etc just like Sony. Infact they can make more as they have the money. How many games and IP will MS have control over once this deal is finalised? That's a huge amount of games from both pubs which could be removed from PS and other platforms.
"Could" being the key word.

And, no. They can't make 3rd party deals like Sony. Tomb Raider was the testament to that. And there was a need to buy Bethesda and ABK. Microsoft is in the game to compete. And it's about time, I say. They weren't going to budge the needle with the other dev houses alone. They needed huge, popular IPs gamers flocked to, to sustain GP. And again, you state it as if this is a hostile takeover. It's not, for Bethesda or ABK. If both companies WANTED to sell. ACTIVELY looking to get bought, where's the issue if Microsoft can afford it?

Respect, but the entire argument sounds like gamers are saying, "I dont want Microsoft to compete this way because I simply don't like it!"

That ain't enough, my G. Not nearly.

"Could" being the key word.

And, no. They can't make 3rd party deals like Sony. Tomb Raider was the testament to that. And there was a need to buy Bethesda and ABK. Microsoft is in the game to compete. And it's about time, I say. They weren't going to budge the needle with the other dev houses alone. They needed huge, popular IPs gamers flocked to, to sustain GP. And again, you state it as if this is a hostile takeover. It's not, for Bethesda or ABK. If both companies WANTED to sell. ACTIVELY looking to get bought, where's the issue if Microsoft can afford it?

Respect, but the entire argument sounds like gamers are saying, "I dont want Microsoft to compete this way because I simply don't like it!"

That ain't enough, my G. Not nearly.
what you call "competing", others call "this is by ball and my court, my daddy bought it, and if I don't win, you're not allowed to play"

so basically, potato / potatoh

GHG

"Sony ruined my childhood" pt. 2 featuring levyjl1988 levyjl1988

Top Bottom