• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica officially moves fully to next project; GOW: Ascension done

IvorB

Grimløck;85758658 said:
If God of War ventured into Judeo-Christian mythology, would that be considered taboo, when slaughtering the pantheon of other mythologies are within limits?

There is no difference but unfortunately many potential customers still worship these Judeo-Christian gods and might find it offensive.

They should have Kratos vs. Jah. I'm sure the rastas wouldn't mind. They're pretty chilled...

There's loads of options really in terms of lore. Give us a more humanlike character battling against Gods. OK, some will be demi-gods by nature but still.....

Jason and the Argonauts
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Perseus

Personally I'd like to see something to rival RYSE, maybe an Alexander the Great game or something.

I feel like after six games in the series I've had my fill of Ancient Greece. If there's to be another GoW instalment (and I don't doubt there will be), I'd like to have z big stylistic shift and it to be set somewhere entirely different.

Toppot

Why drop the IP just because of Kratos fatigue though?

You can make basically any character action game and call it GoW if it's from that studio.

I don't think they need to drop the IP, but I think they need to think carefully before dragging it on. Even if they drop Kratos they should have a better story, otherwise why care about the new character?

I'd rather they made a new IP, can have roughly the same style and mechanics, do a great job of starting fresh and have a great story for a new character. I know God of War carries some weight but they don't need to stick to it. The Last of Us did very well for a new IP partly because people knew it was from the Uncharted studio. No reason SSM couldn't do the same. Any similar game made by 'The GoW studio/team' will peak peoples interest, no need to use God Of War in the tile or have any link to the series in the game.

StuBurns

Banned
Because the gameplay is tired and archaic.
I still like it. But you can change those things too anyway.

I don't think they'd have to retain anything, not even swords on chains. It could be a Samurai game even. If it's a third person character action game with a focus on scope, and it's from SSM, it's God of War.

Personally, I've always hoped the series would get a little more Zelda-ish, but alas.

Endo Punk

Far too much time has been wasted on GOWA. Sony needs to make sure another GOWA and UC3 type situation never happens. These are quintessential examples of titles that do not push their respective franchises forward and only exist to pad out the library and cash grab from fans.

They got me with UC3 but I'm glad I never supported Ascension. You can make a flimsy case that UC3 was good I mean it had some great gameplay moments like ships graveyard and a story that looked like it was going somewhere(until the end) but GOWA was out and out a completely wasted title and one of the most disappointing games of the gen.

Globox_82

Banned
Far too much time has been wasted on GOWA. Sony needs to make sure another GOWA and UC3 type situation never happens. These are quintessential examples of titles that do not push their respective franchises forward and only exist to pad out the library and cash grab from fans.

They got me with UC3 but I'm glad I never supported Ascension. You can make a flimsy case that UC3 was good I mean it had some great gameplay moments like ships graveyard and a story that looked like it was going somewhere(until the end) but GOWA was out and out a completely wasted title and one of the most disappointing games of the gen.

HAve you played/finished it?

I don't think they'd have to retain anything, not even swords on chains. It could be a Samurai game even. If it's a third person character action game with a focus on scope, and it's from SSM, it's God of War.

Personally, I've always hoped the series would get a little more Zelda-ish, but alas.

So Darksiders then. Darksiders felt like GOW meets Zelda only less polished than both of those series.

StuBurns

Banned
So Darksiders then. Darksiders felt like GOW meets Zelda only less polished than both of those series.
I really didn't like it. But I don't think it was anything to do with it being a character action game in a Zelda-clone, so I still think it'd be great if SSM did it.

and it was mediocre. First one at least. I got bored after 2-3hr. And I finish 90-95% of the games I play.

Yeah. Darksiders was really tedious. Lacked any moment-to-moment buzz that a God of War game has. At the same time the world wasn't anywhere near as developed or as interesting as a Zelda overworld.

Globox_82

Banned
Really? I was planning to buy Darksiders too. What made it bad?

Read Galvanise_ comment.
I would aslo add that combat/movement animation was poor and there was no weight to the combat. You know when you fight with Kratos you feel like powerful bad ass? none of that

Really? I was planning to buy Darksiders too. What made it bad?

Rent it and try it out, I for one got it and loved it, the sequel was even better and the combat much better and more fun, I lent the game to an action friend of mine and he loved it ((the sequel)), and I had a friend oversees who also got the sequel and loved it.

Seriously when it comes to action games you really need to try it out yourself, cause people who enjoys the same genre have very different opinions.

I want them to make the next big Sony title to shake things up as much as when GoW first launched. Something that big and crazy and impressive.

I *would* say they need to make 'the next god of war' but it would be taken literally instead of the way I described above.

killatopak

Read Galvanise_ comment.
I would aslo add that combat/movement animation was poor and there was no weight to the combat. You know when you fight with Kratos you feel like powerful bad ass? none of that

Hmm.. I gotta hold off on it then. Maybe watch some reviews and LPs first.

Edit:
Rent it and try it out, I for one got it and loved it, the sequel was even better and the combat much better and more fun, I lent the game to an action friend of mine and he loved it ((the sequel)), and I had a friend oversees who also got the sequel and loved it.

Seriously when it comes to action games you really need to try it out yourself, cause people who enjoys the same genre have very different opinions.

Good idea.

Endo Punk

HAve you played/finished it?

Played as much as I could stomach and watched the rest on youtube, but I did manage to play the final boss recently which just made me appreciate Zeus in GOWIII even more. Definitley more "GAME" to be had there.

Just look at the critical and commercial success of the game, it nowhere near rivals GOWIII. Franchise fatigue is all well and fair but what really happened is that GOWA is a lazy entry and feels like a cash grab like no other. Gameplay improvements were nil as they just limited combos, they made the case it was younger Kratos and not as powerful but they still threw in stupid large bosses instead of making it a more intimate affair to truly show his humanity. The game felt mechanical and just going through the motions of what people expect from GOW, but not doing it half as well.

Entrecôte;85772842 said:
Ascension was much weaker than previous games. Thought a different team to usual Gow team it? Which makes sense.

The heads of Ascension were different. Stig (GoW3's director) moved on to working on a new IP after completing GoW3. But some of that team went over to help finish Ascension. Naughty Dog works the same way. Neil and Bruce completed Uncharted 2 and then went over to start working on TLoU with a few members from the U2 team, while the rest went and finished U3. After U3 was finished some of those members came back over and helped finish TLoU. So, even with different teams everyone is always helping out on projects.

Verendus

Banned
Uncharted 3 did push the franchise forward. It's the best selling Uncharted yet. The success of that game no doubt helped The Last of Us also since it was plastered on the game itself that it came from the creators of Uncharted. Not every sequel needs to be something drastically different. Uncharted 3 was more of the same but that's what a lot of people wanted hence its success.

Been saying for ages that this studio should do Heavenly Sword 2. Then you can do the same spectacle and furious combat of a GoW, but with a new setting, mythology, weapons, supporting cast, and a female character. Nariko could have an epic saga the same way Kratos did.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The second half of GOW:A contains some of the best content in the franchise. If the first parts of the game were as good as what came later, it would be the best game in the series.

Oh well, this news just makes me wonder how far off Stig's game is.

RaikuHebi

Banned
why the fuck would kratos fight egyptian gods? you guys are wasting your time.
Hellenistic Egypt and religious syncretism you ignorant fool.

There is no difference but unfortunately many potential customers still worship these Judeo-Christian gods and might find it offensive.
El Shaddai is an action game that has some Judeo-Christian elements to satiate people that want that. I think it would be cool but boring compared to other stuff. Bring on the Hindu pantheon! Or Sino-Japanese mythology. Just stop having Kratos in it for it to make sense, God of Wars exist in other cultures too.

Iranian mythology is a personal favourite of mine though not mainstream enough to get selected.

Globox_82

Banned
Uncharted 3 did push the franchise forward. It's the best selling Uncharted yet. The success of that game no doubt helped The Last of Us also since it was plastered on the game itself that it came from the creators of Uncharted. Not every sequel needs to be something drastically different. Uncharted 3 was more of the same but that's what a lot of people wanted hence its success.

You are wasting your time. They suffer from "Uncharted 3 syndrom"
read above what it is

The second half of GOW:A contains some of the best content in the franchise. If the first parts of the game were as good as what came later, it would be the best game in the series.

The second half of GoW:A > the entirety of GoW3 > the first half of GoW:A

Derrick01

Banned
Wait what happened in the 2nd half of Ascension? I don't remember it being impressive at all. I remember a real pain in the ass gauntlet near the end and the last boss being mostly QTEs and non interactive setpiece garbage.

fvng

I hope they take a break from this series for a while. That HD collection and then ascension was overload.

I wanna see this team do something else

This is what should have happened a little ways back.

I don't even think it was until GoW3 that it became so linear and facile. Making it a cinematic experience totally diluted the gameplay. It should have been more open.

Wait what happened in the 2nd half of Ascension? I don't remember it being impressive at all. I remember a real pain in the ass gauntlet near the end and the last boss being mostly QTEs and non interactive setpiece garbage.

I felt the second half of the game had some really gorgeous environments, some of the most devious puzzles in the series, better enemy variety(really like the warrior chick they introduced), one of the better boss fights in the series with the Sister s(even though its basically repeated again in the finale), and yeah, I enjoyed the Gauntlet. Beat it on my second try, heh.

GoW3 has its moments, but a lot it felt like going through the motions a bit, and I wasn't a huge fan of some of its design decisions, like forcing you to use a certain weapon for the Onyx armor guys or...the entirety of that terrible Scorpion boss.

IvorB

Just like every other FPS?

Some new mechanics should freshen up the franchise just like what Titan Fall will do if it ever lives up to the hype.

I don't even mean the mechanics per say. I just think things like collision detection on the weapons, better animations on the enemies and that fixed camera really needs to go. There's no excuse for that in this day and age. It just feels so archaic for such an otherwise technically brilliant game.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't even mean the mechanics per say. I just think things like collision detection on the weapons, better animations on the enemies and that fixed camera really needs to go. There's no excuse for that in this day and age. It just feels so archaic for such an otherwise technically brilliant game.
It's the only character action franchise with a great camera, and we don't even have to operate it, and you don't want it.

I weep for our future.

IvorB

You know Naughty Dog spoil us when people actually try to insist that Uncharted 3 is a bad game. I can't believe this sh*t.

Played as much as I could stomach and watched the rest on youtube, but I did manage to play the final boss recently which just made me appreciate Zeus in GOWIII even more. Definitley more "GAME" to be had there.

Just look at the critical and commercial success of the game, it nowhere near rivals GOWIII. Franchise fatigue is all well and fair but what really happened is that GOWA is a lazy entry and feels like a cash grab like no other. Gameplay improvements were nil as they just limited combos, they made the case it was younger Kratos and not as powerful but they still threw in stupid large bosses instead of making it a more intimate affair to truly show his humanity. The game felt mechanical and just going through the motions of what people expect from GOW, but not doing it half as well.
Totally agree.

I hated the combat in Ascension, It was no fun at all, the enemies had no resistance so I felt like I was cutting through thin air, it took me sometime till I got used to it, the change in magic system to be blocks instead of a bar was something totally unneeded, and how the elemental powers worked was so poor.

Ascension is worst God of War I played, which is a shame.

Except that the pantheon is full of gods that are constantly brutal and violent on very personal, petty levels. They're more like emotionally erratic superheroes than anything. Are there even enough good characters in the bible to make a God of War game out of?

I mean, I guess you could play as Lucifer during the time he gets thrown out of heaven.

Hopefully another studio will take over GoW so they can make a new IP. Personally I don't care too much about GoW but the game sells so I doubt they would end the franchise.

Top Bottom