• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica officially moves fully to next project; GOW: Ascension done

Minions

Good deal. Time for Kratos in space. (Why not, after all COD is going to space)

Kidding...

I look forward to what they come out with next. Unlike some, I enjoyed Ascension, and am not fatigued of GoW.

daman824

I dunno man. I can see some reincarnation shit happening if they're really trying to push for Kratos. I'd love it too.
Pulling a Greek character over to a different mythology would feel forced. But Kratos is one of Sonys biggest mascots. They should use a new character who resembles Kratos enough for people to know what series and universe they come from.

I would love to see Kratos go after the judeo-Christian god if only for the thousands of posts about "crossing the line".

The lulz would be amazing.

killatopak

Pulling a Greek character over to a different mythology would feel forced. But Kratos is one of Sonys biggest mascots. They should use a new character who resembles Kratos enough for people to know what series and universe they come from.

Good point.

I hope they make very memorable character like Kratos though. The standards are very high.

Or just for fun reboot God of War and do a Roman God version
That's literally just renaming all of the Gods.

JUPITER!!!!!! nah just doesn't sound as good as ZEUS!!!!!!!

If Kratos does start cleaving his way through other Pantheons i would leave the Roman version of the greek gods off the list in favor of Norse, Egyptian, Shinto, Mesopotamian, Native American, Hindu, African even lovecraftian Old ones would be cool.

gioGAF

Can't wait to see what the A team has in store for us. GoW: Ascension was such a lackluster stopgap, a soulless waste of time.

I am so interested if the next God of War takes the fight to Egypt.

But as others said, They need to introduce a new protagonist for that, I don't know, I like Kratos as much as the other guy, but I don't think he would fit elsewhere, his story is kinda done, and with how GoWIII ended
he gave hope to everyone
that can mark others raising against their gods.

I hope they do something completely different then an new on rails game series like an complete 180 and make an epic low fantasy open world game. They have the experience in house to make melee combat awesome. Not a lot of open world games have that right not that i hate excel spreadsheet melee combat or anything.

/Love openworld games

Ok, now I want GoW4 in a different setting (and a cool new IP, don't care which comes first).

Character:
- new name
- same facial structure as Kratos model
- voice actor of Kratos
- dark skin, either bald or with dreadlocks, plus some standing out feature later on like the ash+tattoo on Kratos.

Story:
- Character is more modest actually. Maybe a slave in the army or something. Getting fed up with the pharaoh's bullshit.&cruelty.
- His family warns him not do anything. But he loses his shit and attacks/kills the pharaoh. Turns out, pharaohs are Egyptian gods in human form. Wrath of the gods on him + his family etc.
- He either blames himself and/or has to rescue surviving family members. In any case, it will turn into a big revenge thing at one point to kill all the evil gods.

DO IT.

edit: actually it would have to be named something else then :p Scratch that, just have to involve Anhur somehow. That's the Egyptian god of war.

One of his titles was Slayer of Enemies. Anhur was depicted as a bearded man wearing a robe and a headdress with four feathers, holding a spear or lance, or occasionally as a lion-headed god (representing strength and power). In some depictions, the robe was more similar to a kilt.
New character should get the spear as his main weapon as well to his differentiate gameplay style / look from Kratos.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are you people seriously asking for ANOTHER God of War?

i don't care who Kratos fights. They don't need to make another god damn god of war.

Are you people seriously asking for ANOTHER God of War?

i don't care who Kratos fights. They don't need to make another god damn god of war.
I still want to know what happens after gow3. I was okay with the ending until they pull that tease at the end, now I want my closure.

Eggbok

While most don't want another God of War I really want to see how it would look on PS4. God of War 3 was simply fantastic visually.

Imagine this but PS4.
karpp94

So how did the GOW multiplayer do? I heard ok things about it but did anyone play it?

I do hope they take GOW in a completely new direction. Kratos as the protagonist is done. The Square+Square+Triangle gameplay is boring. The fixed camera is archaic.

The next real game in that series really needs to shake things up and reinvent what God of War is unless they want it to fall into Ratchet and Clank levels of irrelevancy.

Globox_82

Banned
Can't wait to see what the A team has in store for us. GoW: Ascension was such a lackluster stopgap, a soulless waste of time.

This is what I call "Uncharted 3 syndrome". Definition: certain fanboys like to make sequel to the previous game of certain franchise appear worse then it is, just to sound cool/different/unique. In reality it's just nonsense and ramblings that have nothing to do with reality and the facts.

GOWA was not as good as GOW3 but it had best combat out of all GOW games. Still a solid game on which (I am sure)they learned many lessons.

On topic. This is very exciting.To know that SSM has 3 teams is amazing. The problem on the other hand is, those games are most likely YEARS AWAY.

Globox_82

Banned
So how did the GOW multiplayer do? I heard ok things about it but did anyone play it?

I do hope they take GOW in a completely new direction. Kratos as the protagonist is done. The Square+Square+Triangle gameplay is boring. The fixed camera is archaic.

The next real game in that series really needs to shake things up and reinvent what God of War is unless they want it to fall into Ratchet and Clank levels of irrelevancy.

Never going to happen. If Insomniac continued to make game of A crack in Time caliber (which is in my top 15-20 of this gen) everything would be fine. Instead they went the other route....making Ratched games with the gameplay foreign to Ratchet games

yeah jaffe's ideas for the end of gow was kratos either becomes the harbinger of death, or he crosses over to other mythologies (there would have been an explanation for it, jaffe says).

I think other gods vying for power in the vacuum following Zeus et al dying would be pretty awesome. Kratos doesn't actually have to be involved at all, but having Ra squaring off against Odin and Jupiter would be pretty freaking sweet. They could even delve into other ideas like the Four Horsemen and the Charred Council from Darksiders; like neutral authorities who hold sway over but are not part of the gods' pantheon.

Never going to happen. If Insomniac continued to make game of A crack in Time caliber (which is in my top 15-20 of this gen) everything would be fine. Instead they went the other route....making Ratched games with the gameplay foreign to Ratchet games

A crack in time is probably the best R&C game.

The problem is the R&C formula was old and the audience has shrunk to the hardcore few even by then.

That franchise was damaged long before the last few spin off games because the basic R&C formula became boring and they milked it to hard during the ps2 era.

Likewise if SSM dont do something to shake things up and introduce new people to God of War I think the audience for those games will shrink to R&C levels.

StuBurns

Banned
This is what I call "Uncharted 3 syndrome". Definition: certain fanboys like to make sequel to the previous game of certain franchise appear worse then it is, just to sound cool/different/unique. In reality it's just nonsense and ramblings that have nothing to do with reality and the facts.
I really really hate this post.

The UC3 backlash was way before anyone knew there were two teams at ND.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ehhh.... I wouldn't. But I know plenty of people will. Greek and Egyptian gods have imperfections. Alot of the holy figures in today's religions don't. Having Kratos rip the heads off of what a large portion of the worlds population views as completely benevolent figures would not go over too well. Especially since God of War games aren't hyper stylized.

I don't really buy this. Supernatural has been killing angels for 9 years on TV and nobody has gone ballistic over it. Sony would still never touch it, though. If they bring Kratos/GoW back, I'm hoping he goes after the Egyptian gods, because they are some twisted motherfuckers.

Globox_82

Banned
A crack in time is probably the best R&C game.

The problem is the R&C formula was old and the audience has shrunk to the hardcore few even by then.

That franchise was damaged long before the last few spin off games because the basic R&C formula became boring and they milked it to hard during the ps2 era.

Likewise if SSM dont do something to shake things up and introduce new people to God of War I think the audience for those games will shrink to R&C levels.

You are contradicting yourself. First you say ACIT is probably the best R&C game, but then you say that damage was done earlier on PS2?! Makes no sense, imo.
ACIT had a lot of fresh small touches to the gameplay. It was so fluid, and fast. That is why I loved it so much. Ratchet was fine before the abominations that came after. ACIT It even had decent sales.
Audience shrinked because kids grew up and everything went into grey military direction this gen. All platforms suffered, not just Ratchet.

I really really hate this post.

The UC3 backlash was way before anyone knew there were two teams at ND.
You hate a lot of things, don't worry there is no Jack the Ripper behind this keyboard.
What 1 or 2 teams has anything to do with the quality of the game? Besides even an idiot could figure out that Neil and Bruce were not working on U3. they were no where to be seen in the interviews leading into the launch, or at any point.
I still say. U3 is slightly better games. The only problem is that U2 was so amazing and so unversaly loved, that once U3 hit, only 2 years later it was impossible to live up to the hype. U3 had to go through another reinvention of the wheel or it "sucked". aka Uncharted 3 syndrome.

Please no more GOW, new IP please.

I vote for this.

Stig new IP
GOWA team new IP
Barlog New IP
Would be perfect.
Then come back to GOW some 4-5 years down the line

StuBurns

Banned
You hate a lot of things, don't worry there is no Jack the Ripper behind this keyboard.
What 1 or 2 teams has anything to do with the quality of the game? Besides even an idiot could figure out that Neil and Bruce were not working on U3. they were no where to be seen in the interviews leading into the launch, or at any point.
I still say. U3 is slightly better games. The only problem is that U2 was so amazing and so unversaly loved, that once U3 hit, only 2 years later, it was impossible to live up to the hype, It had to another reinvention of the wheel or it sucked. aka Uncharted 3 syndrome.
The idea people were critical of a game to be cool is obnoxious. I was excited for UC3, I bought the special edition, turned off all the lights, put the sound up high, fully wishing for it to be a good experience. But that game was garbage.

You think it's great, awesome, I'm very pleased for you, and I wish I'd felt the same. But to dismiss all criticism as some sort of hipster creed seeking is moronic.

Anticipation does impact some people's impressions, maybe everyone to differing degrees, but I've been giddy with excitement for films, and albums, and games, and been fully blown away, and I've been giddy, and deeply disappointed. Uncharted 3 was by far the biggest disappointment this generation for me. And it has nothing to do with 'being cool'.

Globox_82

Banned
The idea people were critical of a game to be cool is obnoxious. I was excited for UC3, I bought the special edition, turned off all the lights, put the sound up high, fully wishing for it to be a good experience. But that game was garbage.

and you are calling me obnoxious? I rest my case.

There is no way in hell that you can make a case that U3 was "garbage", No scenario in the world that will make anyone believe that (other then people suffering from Uncharted 3 syndrome).

You didn't like it as you liked U2? Sure I can believe that. But what is annoying is when people like you call it a garbage (as the other guy did with GOWA) when in the worse case scenario it's still an amazing(or very good) game, but maybe not as great as previous one. In your opionion that is. In mine, I called it before Uncharted 2.1.

Garbage? Lmao. That's what I am talking about. Overblowing and exaggerating, when it has nothing to do with reality and the facts. U3 syndrome.

StuBurns

Banned
and you are calling me obnoxious? I rest my case.

There is no way in hell that you can make a case that U3 was "garbage", No scenario in the world that will make anyone believe that (other then people suffering from Uncharted 3 syndrome).

You didn't like it as you liked U2? Sure I can believe that. But what is annoying is when people like you call it a garbage (as the other guy did with GOWA) when in the worse case scenario it's still an amazing(or very good) game, but maybe not as great as previous one. In your opionion that is. In mine, I called it before Uncharted 2.1.

Garbage? Lmao. That's what I am talking about. Overblowing and exaggerating, when it has nothing to do with reality and the facts. U3 syndrome.
No, I thought it was literally garbage. It was a shooter with completely broken shooting, a platformer with horrific platforming, and a story heavy game with a bad story. Everything it attempted, it failed.

They did patch the controls, and they are much better now, I wouldn't call the current game garbage, but the game that launched was.

And yes, it's obnoxious to write off other opinions because you believe they're 'trying to be cool'.

Joni

So probably Stig's game at the VGAs this year and with a bit of luck the next God of War at E3 or the 2014 VGAs.

cormack12

Gold Member
There's loads of options really in terms of lore. Give us a more humanlike character battling against Gods. OK, some will be demi-gods by nature but still.....

Jason and the Argonauts
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Perseus

Personally I'd like to see something to rival RYSE, maybe an Alexander the Great game or something.

Having just recently played Uncharted 3, I have to say any claims it was " garbage " are hilarious. I loved every second of it. The melee combat was cool, the sequences as a younger kid were cool. The shooting is broken? WTF is that about? Just aim and fire.

anyway, I fully expect the main SMS team to make God of War 4, and Barlog's team to make something brand spankin new. God of War 3 was freakin awesome as hell, can't wait to see another one. Story wise it will be interesting, considering what happened in 3.

You are contradicting yourself. First you say ACIT is probably the best R&C game, but then you say that damage was done earlier on PS2?! Makes no sense, imo.
ACIT had a lot of fresh small touches to the gameplay. It was so fluid, and fast. That is why I loved it so much. Ratchet was fine before the abominations that came after. ACIT It even had decent sales.
Audience shrinked because kids grew up and everything went into grey military direction this gen. All platforms suffered, not just Ratchet.

Quality doesnt have to equal fan interest and current gameplay trends.

A Crack in Time felt like Insomniac mastering a formula people had already stopped caring about. Like you said. The audience grew out of it.

Its like saying COD2 is the best World War 2 shooter ever. Well probably but when it came out no one gave a damn about WW2 shooters anymore and they had to ditch that formula going forward.

Likewise God of War is in a similar position. It needs to go back to the drawing board and make GOW something fresh again.

I have said it before but one of the easiest and first things on the GOW change list should be ditching Kratos as the main character. The character had become a caricature of its former self by 3.

Maybe they make him the antagonist for a new hero out for revenge. After so many games of Kratos brutally murdering everyone in his path it wouldnt be hard to justify that kind of switch. Especially after the events of 3.

Toppot

I personally think SSM should drop God of War, the games have become 'Look at how pretty we are, oh and here's some shitty reasons why Kratos is just RAGE these days'. Ascension was a weak attempt to add more depth to Kratos, it was utterly forgettable. The PSP games by Ready at Dawn did a much better job of adding character to Kratos.

This video does a great job of showing why SSM's trilogy falls short story wise, and why I no longer care for the character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Wng92tpLE

If there is another God of War (or any God of War like) game it needs to have a much better story than the last two SSM entries.

I'd rather they start fresh with a new character in a different mythology myself.

StuBurns

Banned
Why drop the IP just because of Kratos fatigue though?

You can make basically any character action game and call it GoW if it's from that studio.

Top Bottom