• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica officially moves fully to next project; GOW: Ascension done

After seven months and several content drops, Sony Santa Monica has announced it has ceased development of download content for God of War: Ascension.

Community strategist Aaron Kaufman explained in a statement that today marks the end of work on DLC for the March-released game, as the studio's "primary team" begin its transition to "other projects".
Via CVG

Radec

oh yeahhhh.. this is next.

447227.jpg

:(

Cory Barlog is getting me hyped:

He is currently working on a "freaking huge" game at Sony Santa Monica. He has not gone into specifics about this game, but did lay out a roadmap for what he hopes to achieve with the project.

"I want to make something that feels instantly familiar yet completely different; something that feels like home on an alien planet with a nitrogen atmosphere," Barlog said. "As lame and 'PR' as this sounds, the landscape of console gaming is at a pretty freaking awesome point right now. The next generation is going be a chance to really stretch our legs from a design and creative thinking perspective."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ii-director-on-developing-for-next-gen/1100-6415542/

Weren't they supposed to put out a "balance patch" for Playstation All Stars as well?

Either way, I'll only be excited for their next title if it's not God of War.

Jeels

Ya, I really hope Santa Monica has been working on their next gen game earlier than now...

I was always under the impression that there was a team post God of War 3 that was already neck deep into a new IP.

Ya, I really hope Santa Monica has been working on their next gen game earlier than now...

I was always under the impression that there was a team post God of War 3 that was already neck deep into a new IP.
They have been working on it for a while, they're just saying that now everyone in the studio is working on something next gen, GOW Ascension development is done.

Wasn't that Jaffe's original idea anyway? That all the Gods of all ancient beliefs would show up?

yeah jaffe's ideas for the end of gow was kratos either becomes the harbinger of death, or he crosses over to other mythologies (there would have been an explanation for it, jaffe says).

EmptySpace did not like gow3 that much because being trapped inside a mountain did not feel like an adventure at all. ascension was better in this regard (among other things). gow3's story was cringe-worthy as well.

HORRORSHØW

If God of War ventured into Judeo-Christian mythology, would that be considered taboo, when slaughtering the pantheon of other mythologies are within limits?

Grimløck;85758658 said:
If God of War ventured into Judeo-Christian mythology, would that be considered taboo, when slaughtering the pantheon of other mythologies are within limits?

no, because all of them are fairy tales.

daman824

oh yeahhhh.. this is next.

447227.jpg

:(
One of the reasons I'm getting a ps4 is because this might happen. Just the thought of an Egyptian or Norse God of War game running on the ps4 gets me excited.

Although, Kratos shouldn't be the protagonist. It should be someone that bears a very strong resemblance to him though.

aly

Grimløck;85758658 said:

Isn't different?Christianity and Judaism are living religions right?

daman824

Grimløck;85758658 said:
Yes, only because Christianity is such a large religion. Same thing would happen if you're killing Islamic figures, Jewish figures, ect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is that an Egyptian god? Please make him fight Egyptian gods!

The series needs to move away from Greek mythology to regain my interest. What was left in the well dried up with 3 and Ascension was a bore because of how familiar it felt.

killatopak

One of the reasons I'm getting a ps4 is because this might happen. Just the thought of an Egyptian or Norse God of War game running on the ps4 gets me excited.

Although, Kratos shouldn't be the protagonist. It should be someone that bears a very strong resemblance to him though.

Kratos with hair. I want some hair physics!

yeah jaffe's ideas for the end of gow was kratos either becomes the harbinger of death, or he crosses over to other mythologies (there would have been an explanation for it, jaffe says).

EmptySpace did not like gow3 that much because being trapped inside a mountain did not feel like an adventure at all. ascension was better in this regard (among other things). gow3's story was cringe-worthy as well.

I thought the explanation is that after the greek gods had fallen, gods from other myth come in trying to replace the them. Would be cool to see gods from various myth battle royale. Like thor versus anubis or something lol

killatopak

Grimløck;85758658 said:

Assasin's Creed tells you otherwise.

Edit: Not really but I've seen some backlash.

UNCMark

Banned
I remember how great GoW3 looked compared to most everything else at the time. Can't wait to see what kind of bar they set this time around.

Isn't different?Christianity and Judaism are living religions right?

If you have Kratos ripping Jesus and God's heads off then yeah that would create some problems.

No one would care if it's just him taking out the various angels and archangels.

daman824

If you have Kratos ripping Jesus and God's heads off then yeah that would create some problems.

No one would care if it's just him taking out the various angels and archangels.
Ehhh.... I wouldn't. But I know plenty of people will. Greek and Egyptian gods have imperfections. Alot of the holy figures in today's religions don't. Having Kratos rip the heads off of what a large portion of the worlds population views as completely benevolent figures would not go over too well. Especially since God of War games aren't hyper stylized.

killatopak

Yup, I can see harsh criticism from hardcore Christians. I mean I'm a Christian myself but I know how to differentiate what are games and what is real.

Yes, as seen in Bayonetta especially if you portray them in grotesque ways.

aly

That would bother me. But Bayonetta like angel thingy would'nt I think.

BlazinAm

Was there a healthy flow of content and support for Ascension?

I wonder why they would have a "primary" team on as support.

Top Bottom