• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS Store back by the end of this week for everyone except Japan, HK, and Korea

V_Ben

Banned
bill0527 said:
I picked up Mortal Kombat 2 weeks ago. Haven't been able to play it online because of these fucking stupid online codes they're sticking in all the game boxes now. This crap is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to input ANY code to get the complete functionality of your game I just laid down $63 and change for.

Would I be so upset if PSN Store was up and I could input the code? Probably not. But this is the reality I find myself in and I'm getting more pissed by the day about it.

Hey, good news!

Due to the recent PSN outage, Mortal Kombat for PS3 will now be playable online without need for the Kombat Pass. This is a temporary solution that will only be available while Playstation Store is unavailable. Once PlayStation Store is back up, users will be able to enter the Kombat Pass code included with Mortal Kombat or purchase a Kombat Pass for $9.99.

gcubed

sony walks in to E3 and drops the price and all will be forgotten (assuming the store is actually up before then)

Luigi87

TheJollyCorner said:
I just want to re-download my Warhawk. :(

If you downloaded it already, just go into your Account Management, Download History, and download it again from there.

'twas how I got FF9 on my PSP last week.

Edit: Nvm, corrected below.

Luigi87 said:
If you downloaded it already, just go into your Account Management, Download History, and download it again from there.

'twas how I got FF9 on my PSP last week.

Can't do that for PS3 games. It says 'content is unavailable on this platform'.

chubigans said:
Ps2 now $75/PSP only $99. Bam.
I could actually see this happening. Every time the PS2 drops in price, they get a quick surge in sales. And since the PSP is in it's last year pretty much, there's no reason to charge over $99 for it anymore.

gcubed

jayb said:
a $50 price cut won't make us forget anything.

maybe not you, but you can bet it would get a lot of the press off of their backs for E3, because you know if they don't blow it out of the water everything is going to fall back to this disaster

Xater

bill0527 said:
I picked up Mortal Kombat 2 weeks ago. Haven't been able to play it online because of these fucking stupid online codes they're sticking in all the game boxes now. This crap is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to input ANY code to get the complete functionality of your game I just laid down $63 and change for.

Would I be so upset if PSN Store was up and I could input the code? Probably not. But this is the reality I find myself in and I'm getting more pissed by the day about it.

Uhm they made the MP free for everyone until the store is back up.

I wish the Codies would do that...

bill0527

V_Ben said:

Wow thank you for posting that. I had no idea. I never even bothered trying to get online with it because PSN was down when I bought it, and I had that big card in the game box staring at me and telling me to input the code in order to play online.

Oppo

Wario64 said:
Argg at account management going down though. Just bought a PS3 slim last night and in the process of transferring stuff from phat PS3 to slim. All my PSN accounts will stay deactivated till they're done with the maintenance

Exactly my current situation.

Further, I suppose I won't be able to re-download anything until the Store re-appears as that's where the Download List functionality is contained, right? weeee.

Anybody have the phone # handy in case I have to beg for an activations reset?

edit - obliged, Solstice

PortTwo said:
Exactly my current situation.

Further, I suppose I won't be able to re-download anything until the Store re-appears as that's where the Download List functionality is contained, right? weeee.

Anybody have the phone # handy in case I have to beg for an activations reset?
1-800-345-SONY

zomgbbqftw said:
Sony never lied. They haven't released any information about the PSN store coming back today. It was your own fault for believing a games journalist who heard something from someone else.
This date was everywhere. Sony knew that a lot of people were banking on today, so why wait until now to announce that it was all false? Their silence made many people think the date was correct, otherwise they would have nipped it in the bud a week ago.

Granted, you are correct in that they didn't technically lie. But for a company that has come under fire for being so inept, they aren't doing themselves any favors by how they handled this situation.

Raoh

Doctor West said:
This date was everywhere. Sony knew that a lot of people were banking on today, so why wait until now to announce that it was all false? Their silence made many people think the date was correct, otherwise they would have nipped it in the bud a week ago.

Granted, you are correct in that they didn't technically lie. But for a company that has come under fire for being so inept, they aren't doing themselves any favors by how they handled this situation.

Yeah but wasn't it a letter to developers from sony? Not to the customers.

It's nice to get insider info/leaks but if sony says everything will be up.. to developers, unless sony sends me the info as well, it could just be a backend test for devs that need to prep for when it goes live to consumers.

As far as sites posting the info, just stick with Neogaf, I'm still new here but I'm starting to find it a worthless experience going to other sites when all the sites are doing is running articles that are based on neogaf comments. Posting info half cocked usually.

snap0212

Doctor West said:

Sony could and should have made sure that there basically is no space for rumors and speculations. They could have done that by giving daily updates about what is going on or by just saying that there actually are no updates to give out and any rumored updates you read are fake / not true.

By now, Sony knows that this whole PSN outage is a PR-disaster. From the beginning Sony did not really know how to react, how to properly communicate with its users or the press. It does seem like Sony is just completely overwhelmed. Imagine what's going on at Sony right now. They were hacked, hired multiple security firms who were supposed to work on the issue “around the clock” and then when they partly re-launched their system it doesn't even take a day until someone finds out that their new system has horrible security as well (password reset “hack”).

Raoh

snap0212 said:
Sony could and should have made sure that there basically is no space for rumors and speculations. They could have done that by giving daily updates about what is going on or by just saying that there actually are no updates to give out and any rumored updates you read are fake / not true.

By now, Sony knows that this whole PSN outage is a PR-disaster. From the beginning Sony did not really know how to react, how to properly communicate with its users or the press. It does seem like Sony is just completely overwhelmed. Imagine what's going on at Sony right now. They were hacked, hired multiple security firms who were supposed to work on the issue “around the clock” and then when they partly re-launched their system it doesn't even take a day until someone finds out that their new system has horrible security as well (password reset “hack”).

This...

Mind you, they were already a bit just nose above water fending off nintendo, microsoft, samsung, working on new partnerships like valve and google, in house cleaning of staff/departments/costs, legal expenses, marketing, an earthquake, restructuring, entering the tablet beefing up their smartphone offerings, AR, 3d, etc....

etc etc etc..

all that before the hack even happened.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was actually gonna buy a couple PSN games but I guess that won't be happening! Hope they get it up soon, though.

fuckers

I'm giving Sony one more week to get the store up. If they miss their scheduled May deadline, then I will be completely fed up.

Not that I know what I can do about that. As long as games I want keep coming out for Sony hardware, I'm stuck.

UberTag

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm giving Sony one more week to get the store up. If they miss their scheduled May deadline, then I will be completely fed up.

Not that I know what I can do about that. As long as games I want keep coming out for Sony hardware, I'm stuck.
You could buy them used.
Or borrow them from friends.
Or rent them from a mom and pop shop that won't report any rental revenue earned to Sony.
Or the P word.

Still plenty of options that allow you to be fed up and not reward Sony like a loyal sheep.

UberTag said:
You could buy them used.
Or borrow them from friends.
Or rent them from a mom and pop shop that won't report any rental revenue earned to Sony.
Or the P word.

Still plenty of options that allow you to be fed up and not reward Sony like a loyal sheep.

I might do that for first-party titles, but there are third-parties like Aksys (Arcana Heart 3) or XSEED (Wizardry) that I want to support!

kamspy

Sony treats their consumers like children. I can't believe their PR. This shit shouldn't fly for you PS3 only gamers, because it damn sure wouldn't fly in any other consumer product. These updates are a joke. Whatever they think they're gaining by going the cryptic route instead of the transparent route is losing them customers.

UberTag

hosannainexcelsis said:
I might do that for first-party titles, but there are third-parties like Aksys (Arcana Heart 3) or XSEED (Wizardry) that I want to support!
You can still support those games.
How much revenue is Sony really getting out of a PSN sale to Aksys or XSEED?
I'm on a Sony boycott myself but still plan on supporting those guys wherever possible.

JudgeN

I'm not understanding why people are upset that an obvious rumor turned out to be false. Sony said the end of may for the store to be up during there press event correct? I'm just wait till the end of May then maybe I think about being upset. Not like i'm just dying to spend money or anything.

I wasn't expecting the store to be up today for some reason for the obvious reasons. I am just wondering how much money companies lost on the fact that the store has been down for so long.

kamspy said:
If they made the PS3 free as well then I wouldn't have any problem! I did expect to use PSN when I bought my PS3.
You also accepted a TOS that states they can take the service down at any time, for any reason.

MrMephistoX

RomanticHeroX said:
Regardless of whether or not it was a reasonable date to expect the store to return Sony was really irresponsible for not getting out ahead of this rumor. If they had said a couple of days ago that was false and the store would be up later it would be disappointing but understandable. Instead they let it spread and gain steam before finally denying it the day of. Sony desperately needs to learn to control their story instead of letting things like this get out of hand.

It kind of proves that PR agencies do not take a lot of stock in message boards and other strictly enthusiast media when it comes to reactive statements. Your favorite sites and message boards don't have quite as much pull as you think they do. If the rumor hit the mainstream media or larger tech sites like CNET or Wired then Sony would have squashed the rumors. I don't even recall seeing the rumor anywhere aside from here and Giant Bomb and possibly Joystiq but I don't remember looking.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Remij said:
You also accepted a TOS that states they can take the service down at any time, for any reason.
Hahaha, read the TOS. Reminds me of the episode of Apple iPad in South Park

btkadams

Remij said:
Yes, but that is just so that people wouldn't be able to sue Sony for PSN going down and their "purchase" changing after the fact. It has nothing to do with us being pissed off or developers/publishers being mad at Sony. I think we all have a right to be angry after a month of outage. This is especially true with game purchases off of PSN that are online-only (at least when online play was also disabled).

snap0212

kamspy said:
Sony treats their consumers like children. I can't believe their PR. This shit shouldn't fly for you PS3 only gamers, because it damn sure wouldn't fly in any other consumer product. These updates are a joke. Whatever they think they're gaining by going the cryptic route instead of the transparent route is losing them customers.
Sony knows their customers and they know exactly that the majority of people who complain now will have forgotten about it very soon. It's sad, but that's just how it is. People don't vote with their money and that's why we get treated like children. Don't like the vegetables? Well, you're hungry so you'll eat them eventually.

JudgeN said:
I'm not understanding why people are upset that an obvious rumor turned out to be false. Sony said the end of may for the store to be up during there press event correct? I'm just wait till the end of May then maybe I think about being upset. Not like i'm just dying to spend money or anything.
They never said everything would be up at the end of May. They said stuff like they “hope” everything will be up by the end of May, that they plan to have everything up by then and stuff like that. If they don't get it up by the end of May, they'll not admit to any failures, they'll talk about unforeseen circumstances , tell you that they're incredibly sorry, thankful for your patience and that they're working around the clock to make sure you'll get the best possible experience once the PSN comes back.

Sony now said the rumors are false after people actually expected the PS Store to be up today. This was never unreasonable based on what Sony said in the past. They could have said “nope, that's not true” as soon as they knew people were actually looking forward to the 24th. Not on the 24th.

mujun

gcubed said:
maybe not you, but you can bet it would get a lot of the press off of their backs for E3, because you know if they don't blow it out of the water everything is going to fall back to this disaster

People were expecting a price drop at E3 anyway, how is that blowing it out of the water?

gcubed

mujun said:
People were expecting a price drop at E3 anyway, how is that blowing it out of the water?

that in itself is not, but it will help the overall package. $100 price drop would be blowing it out of the water though. Thats highly doubtful

mujun

gcubed said:
that in itself is not, but it will help the overall package. $100 price drop would be blowing it out of the water though. Thats highly doubtful

I think by definition they need to do considerably more than people already expected them to do at E3.

Still, the welcome back package is a decent start.

Top Bottom