• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles

Bundling PS+ Premium and Crunchyroll is about the most obvious move Sony could make.

They have so many unpaid subscribers with Crunchyroll that they would essentially convert over and people who already subscribe to Crunchyroll would have more incentive to buy PlayStation products.

Surprised they can't make the funding work out, would think it would pay for itself in increased numbers. You could even trial it.

spons

Gold Member
If only Crunchyroll carried everything. Cowboy Bebop is on Netflix here, and FLCL on HBO Max.

cripterion

PSN extra user with US / EU accounts living in Japan so this is pretty much worthless for me. I checked it out but only trailers and limited film library.
Also kinda ironic that Sony owns Crunchyroll but the app is worthless without a VPN here.

Killer8

• Here's the full list of the first 100 films available to US PlayStation Plus Premium and Deluxe members:
    30 Days of Night: Dark Days
  • 6 Bullets
  • The 6th Day
  • All the Kingsmen
  • Anacondas
  • Appleseed Alpha
  • Arena
  • The Art of War II: Betrayal
  • Attack the Block
  • Baghead
  • Barney’s Version
  • Berserk
  • Black Dynamite
  • Blind Fury
  • The Blob
  • Blue Thunder
  • The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
  • The Brothers Grimsby
  • Can’t Hardly Wait
  • Casualties of War
  • The Cottage
  • The Covenant
  • The Damned United
  • The Deep
  • The Devil’s Backbone
  • Dragon Wars
  • Driven
  • Drunken Master
  • An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder
  • The Experiment
  • The Fan
  • Felon
  • The Fifth Element
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
  • The Final Girls
  • Freaks of Nature
  • Frozen River
  • Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
  • Go
  • Godzilla (1998)
  • Godzilla 2000
  • Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • The Guard
  • Hancock
  • Harry Brown
  • Home Sweet Hell
  • House of the Flying Daggers
  • Idle Hands
  • The International
  • Into the Grizzly Maze
  • Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
  • Labyrinth
  • The Lazurus Project
  • Looper
  • Lords of Dogtown
  • The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
  • Magic Magic
  • Meeting Evil
  • Mortal Thoughts
  • Multiplicity
  • My Girl
  • Night of the Creeps
  • One False Move
  • The Possession of Hannah Grace
  • Premium Rush
  • Private Resort
  • Pulse
  • [REC]
  • Resident Evil: Damnation
  • Resident Evil: Vendetta
  • Revolve
  • Run Lola Run
  • Running with Scissors
  • School Daze
  • Scream of Fear
  • Screamers
  • Seraphim Falls
  • Silent Rage
  • Sleepwalkers
  • Smashed
  • Sniper
  • Sniper 3
  • Sniper Reloaded
  • Sniper Ultimate Kill
  • Starman
  • Starship Troopers: Invasion
  • Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
  • The Take
  • The Talking of Pelham 123
  • Things Are Tough All Over
  • To Die For
  • Underworld Awakening
  • Imoversa; Solider: Day of Reckoning
  • Unthinkable
  • The Virginity Hit
  • Where the Day Takes You
Some bangers in this list. This is where we find out who really has good taste in movies.

FrankWza

Hey Frank, you mean that all of those that keep saying "sad dad of war", "depression simulator" and "Sony 3rd person template lol" are the same ones that are gonna wax lyrical about Hellblade 2 'cause ...Papa-Phil is the greatest with the best deal in gaming ?

That kinda fun you mean ? 😁

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Someone needs to tell Sony their entire conglomerate is all-in, except for Sony Electronics because Sony TV's despite Sony being the company that makes Playstation have the highest input lag in Game Mode of all the major brands

If Sony ever fixed their input lag on their TV's I would buy a Sony TV instead of the Samsungs I buy because they have the lowest input lag of all the major brands

Vroadstar

Hey Frank, you mean that all of those that keep saying "sad dad of war", "depression simulator" and "Sony 3rd person template lol" are the same ones that are gonna wax lyrical about Hellblade 2 'cause ...Papa-Phil is the greatest with the best deal in gaming ?

That kinda fun you mean ? 😁

Anyway : is this available on PS plus extra gents or only Premium ?

Indeed...

Randy Savage GIF

Just tried it out, works perfectly, still won't be renewing PS+ when it expires come November.
If people are paying full price for PS+ then they need to give their head a wobble.

It's the only service that has deep discounts on long term plans twice a year and it's the only one to add any meaningful value beyond the core package recently. I've never paid full price for PS+ since the deep discounts started.

Gojiira

So this is where the 33% PS sub plan price increase went to.

Nothing like a price increase so everyone can hurry up and watch Blue thunder and Run Lola Run.

They could at least offered the movies for Essential tier too since they got a price increase too.
That list is not the UK list though which is fucking awful…
What a load of shit though, you would think at least ONE Playstation movie would be included like Uncharted or something but no, just garbage.

King Dazzar

Really impressive streaming quality.

The best I've seen from the services I have tried; HBO Max, Netflix (4K HDR), Amazon, Apple TV+.

I watched The Amazing Spider-Man and a bit of Moneyball.
Bullet Train looks superb via the PS5 app too when I tested it. There's no selectable Pure Stream option that I could find like there is on the Bravia Core TV app. So I don't know whether its streaming at the same very high bit rate or not. But it looked superb, regardless.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Bullet Train looks superb via the PS5 app too when I tested it. There's no selectable Pure Stream option that I could find like there is on the Bravia Core TV app. So I don't know whether its streaming at the same very high bit rate or not. But it looked superb, regardless.

No PureStream right now, so not streaming at UHD high bitrate still, hopefully will come next update.

Still, monitoring through my router, it's chomping between 25 and 43mbps when it needs to fill the buffer so pretty nice bitrate. The IMAX Enhanced aspect ratio is a bliss.

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
Such a slap in the face to essential tier subscribers. Just another reason to get rid of it altogether.

I mean, is anyone actually going to upgrade for these movies? What is Sony thinking?

spons

Gold Member
Cowboy is on crunchyroll too, or does it depend on country?
Depends on the country, although licensing issues were much worse in the past.

Netflix especially is still being annoying, taking the exclusive rights for series like Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, A Certain Magical Index, and some others.
I suppose there is no reason for Crunchyroll to sub-license these, as the amount of Dutch subs are probably 3 people and a horse.

[Sigma]

I checked this out earlier yesterday. It's pretty good but I don't have the speed to watch it in the highest quality unfortunately. I watched some of the The Fifth Element on it, I use to love that movie lol. I should buy it on Blu-Ray.

skit_data

The movies available for "free" for Premium subscribers isn't nearly as bad as I thought. It's a pretty random selection with very varying quality (at least according to my taste). On one end theres absolute crap like the Resident Evil films, T3 and Ghost rider but there's also Big Fish, Zombieland and Evil Dead.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Why in the flying fuck the controller dies when you execute the app?

You can't for the love of god access the consoles menu and you're stuck on the app. I have my PS5 on ARC input and usually both the controller and the remote work at the same time to control the console, but not here.

Had to use the remote to put PS5 into rest mode and than restart the PS5 via controller in order to gain access to the console again.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Price increases for a subscription service are not something a company anticipates years or even quarters in advance? Hell, there are people on this forum that would argue that Microsoft has planned GamePass price increases since its inception.

Yes, price increases are known to happen in advance; but not the exact amount of time frame.

skit_data

Pretty sweet that you can pretty much customize subtitle in any way you please, never seen that before.
Also really like that many movies are in IMAX format and that the audio and video quality seems better than most other streaming apps on PS5.

Rough start but if that Crunchyroll news is legit I am excited. I’m locked in with premium for the next 8 years at around $50 a year, so it would be an amazing value.

Top Bottom