• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patented Anti-Cheat Has Secured PlayStation 5

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'm no legal expert, but i cant see how they would legally be able to get away with bricking your system, cheating or not.
Cheating sucks though, i see it all the time on PC, so i have no roblems with banning.
Yeah this is why it doesn't happen on PC, really
Which is why there are much less destructive methods of removing users who break your terms of service

The only argument you would be able to make is that people are purchasing a life time lease on the hardware, not just the software, with their purchase
However than then rolls into that the company is responsible for a lot of the hardware; maintenance, etc.

Barakov

"The patent potentially describes a bricked console as punishment. " That's a big warning flag. Granted this is a patent and there's a good chance this would never come to fruition.

Still I'm sure Sony wouldn't want to be known for releasing the Brickstation 5. Because that name would be the equilvalent of XBone from this gen. Can't even imagine the shitstorm this would cause in Europe.

OrionNebula

Fuck that; I buy the hardware and the license of the OS, I have a right to modify it if I want

You can buy a car and have a license and still have your shit taken away from you if you drive like a maniac in public over and over and break mostly simple rules to follow

*insert Four Rooms Behave gif*

Plus I suspect they’re not gonna just start bricking shit up left and right at the first glimpse of an offense. It’s just like what they did for ps4, maybe just a bit tighter, really (as cheaters tend to get more and more ‘’creative’’ with their cheating)

DonF

1. There’s a world of difference between banning a person from one service and bricking the hardware they bought for a significant amount of money.
2. There are plenty of ways around such a ban because on the PC you have a little thing called freedom.
3. How would you feel if you had your machine bricked and had done nothing wrong?
1. Yes, I said so.
2. from what ive read, theres not much things you can do, besides buying a whole new PC, creating a new account and buying the game again! So...pretty much like a console ban ! Here, have a read !
3. yes, I said so!!

I was in my local WalMart and they had 5 packs for both Xbox and PS4. In like a week the PS4 ones were gone and Xbox had 2, maybe 3 left, its sad.
Cous there a more than 100 mil. PS4 players and aprox. 45 mil. XboxOne players maybee that is the reason? Yes it is....
Its not hard to understand the difference between the two when you apply logic.😉

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Cous there a more than 100 mil. PS4 players and aprox. 45 mil. XboxOne players maybee that is the reason? Yes it is....
Its not hard to understand the difference between the two when you apply logic.😉

Yeah if you bothered to read the entire post I was referring to how many of those strike packs were sold in total.

Had zero to do with any kind of console war numbers bullshit.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You can buy a car and have a license and still have your shit taken away from you if you drive like a maniac in public over and over and break mostly simple rules to follow

*insert Four Rooms Behave gif*

Plus I suspect they’re not gonna just start bricking shit up left and right at the first glimpse of an offense. It’s just like what they did for ps4, maybe just a bit tighter, really (as cheaters tend to get more and more ‘’creative’’ with their cheating)
I understand and respect trying to discuss the principles of the matter (I try to discuss things the same way) I just think the scale and the analogy differs too much to be a true comparison.

You're not endangering life by modifying a firm ware, and it's highly unlikely a console mod would endanger someone's life to the equivalency of driving like a maniac on the road

Even if they impound your car, it's still your property and you have the right to retrieve it.

On top of that, they don't come and drill a hole in your engine and render the car useless; they take your license

Why can I mod my car but not mod my gaming console? Would it be okay for Ford to nuke your cars computer for installing a turbo?

It's cheating in a video game dude; vehicular manslaughter and cheating in a video game aren't even in the same ball park

It's not that they won't use it in certain scenarios, it's appalling they would even consider doing that to anyone.

Think of it this way; a false positive happens, does Sony have a method to unbrick the console? What's the method of reversing the brick? Are they even willing to hear cases where it was a legit false positive? If their hardware has a malfunction or your network has a malfunction and sends up malformed metrics because the packets are garbage, are they going to unban you?

Your standard home router doesn't do packet capturing and logging, so you'd be up shit creek

I get not wanting to play with cheaters, and hence why on my modded stuff I don't play online (Unless on a pirate server with us other filthy modders, and really only if it's an online only game) but that goes WAY too far

Not only that, but say I'm running a console-cade sort of business, you can't just have a false positive happen and have one of your consoles fucking brick on a false positive; that's horse shit

The Alien

Banned
Fucking excuse me?

You're telling me you're going to potentionally brick my system over a false positive?

Fuck that; I buy the hardware and the license of the OS, I have a right to modify it if I want

I imagine the EU is going to be on fire over consumer rights on this

Including brick code or bricking your consumers hard ware is fucking stupid and absolutely counter intuitive to selling products
While I agree with you on bricking a console....modifying hardware or software is prohibited by Sony ToS.
  • You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
  • You may not cause disruption to or modify or damage any Account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to or provided by PSN Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
While I agree with you on bricking a console....modifying hardware or software is prohibited by Sony ToS.
  • You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
  • You may not cause disruption to or modify or damage any Account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to or provided by PSN Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.
And if the ToS contradict law they're null and void

If it's a ban from their online services, I totally get that, that's to be expected because of the fact you could use it to cheat

While on a different scale money wise, Ford can't come and drill a hole in your engine because you installed a turbo they don't approve of. It's your property.

Ar¢tos

So much panick over a patent.
They only ban consoles, they don't brick them. It's ps4 launch over and over.
I wish they would implement something to stop save editing. Diablo 3 online is totally messed up because of it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much panick over a patent.
They only ban consoles, they don't brick them. It's ps4 launch over and over.
I wish they would implement something to stop save editing. Diablo 3 online is totally messed up because of it.

It’s one of the reasons D4 will be online saves, just like Destiny and GTSport, etc..

OrionNebula

I understand and respect trying to discuss the principles of the matter (I try to discuss things the same way) I just think the scale and the analogy differs too much to be a true comparison.

You're not endangering life by modifying a firm ware, and it's highly unlikely a console mod would endanger someone's life to the equivalency of driving like a maniac on the road

Even if they impound your car, it's still your property and you have the right to retrieve it.

On top of that, they don't come and drill a hole in your engine and render the car useless; they take your license

Why can I mod my car but not mod my gaming console? Would it be okay for Ford to nuke your cars computer for installing a turbo?

It's cheating in a video game dude; vehicular manslaughter and cheating in a video game aren't even in the same ball park

It's not that they won't use it in certain scenarios, it's appalling they would even consider doing that to anyone.

Well said points for the most part

But you can mod a console. Just within the realm of rules Sony has set (which doesn’t include cheating, which is who they would target first and foremost), not unlike my reference for vehicles and behaviour on the road. You just can’t mod your car and do what you want on the road as you please. Not all rules are made to prevent endangering lives. The rules of driving are not only about not endangering lives, but also so that people can also enjoy their experience without having people causing chaos because they just want to do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want

In any case none of this really applies to me because I never play online multiplayer games. But if I did and I’d go in a battle with a dude who’s modified things and get themselves an ax, while I play by the rules and fight barehanded (just an example, I’m sure you get that), you bet your ass I’m gonna be pissed. And dead/gone.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Well said points for the most part

But you can mod a console. Just within the realm of rules Sony has set (which doesn’t include cheating, which is who they would target first and foremost), not unlike my reference for vehicles and behaviour on the road. You just can’t mod your car and do what you want on the road as you please. Not all rules are made to prevent endangering lives. The rules of driving are not only about not endangering lives, but also so that people can also enjoy their experience without having people causing chaos because they just want to do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want

In any case none of this really applies to me because I never play online multiplayer games. But if I did and I’d go in a battle with a dude who’s modified things and get themselves an ax, while I play by the rules and fight barehanded (just an example, I’m sure you get that), you bet your ass I’m gonna be pissed. And dead/gone.
Right; we're on there same page of screw cheaters and such.

Just because some people use turbo to out run the police does not make putting turbos in your car illegal

I also can't think of a traffic law that doesn't have to do with safety because then it would literally be an arbitrary law that would there for no reason; that law would likely get redacted. Its a part of the law making process that they go over laws that are either old or nonapplicable

Yes, SONY has a rule set, but Sony could also be making a rule set that contradicts law
Just because some company has a Terms of Service doesn't make it legal; a Terms of Service can say you have to get an abortion for the rest of your life and it wouldn't mean shit, right?

Sony can do whatever they want in their ball park, but when I purchase something, that something is in MY ball park.
They can ban me from their services if they want, but they will NOT brick my console

Why the hell would you defend brick code in any way shape or form?

Ar¢tos

Don't see it as "We will brick your console", see it as "We reserve the right to brick your console".
Its not much different than normal TOS, and very likely reserved to hw tampering.

Top Bottom