• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to take MLB The Show to the next level

It was really smart of them to include the WBC in MLB The Show 23, but Sony needs to take this a step further.

Much of the success of FIFA is due to the inclusion of domestic leagues around the world.

MLB The Show 24, which probably needs different international branding needs to include domestic leagues, particularly the Nippon Baseball League. They added minor league teams in 2020 which was also a great move. They should even look at including College players/teams. They should also incorporate all of this into franchise mode rather than stand-alone playing modes.

And obviously, although it might be controversial given the timing, the game needs to release on PC as well.

I think they're sitting on a lot of potential players who would jump into this if they opened it up a bit. Probably sitting on 25% more sales.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They probably need permission from MLB. It's one thing to include the minor league teams due to their affiliation with major league teams. Other leagues would probably be more challenging.

LakeOf9

And obviously, although it might be controversial given the timing, the game needs to release on PC as well.
Very shocked this hasn't happened already. I for sure thought that it would.

My assumption was:

Year 1 - Xbox
Year 2 - Nintendo
Year 3 - PC

It held true until the Nintendo part, and then the PC version just never happened lol

vivftp

The next steps for the game in terms of platforms are likely to be both PC and mobile. We know the studio has been hiring for mobile, and of course SIE has been pushing PC and mobile as platforms to expand to. I still think it's possible they'll integrate a PSVR2 mode for playing and spectating at some point.

Last edited:
They probably need permission from MLB. It's one thing to include the minor league teams due to their affiliation with major league teams. Other leagues would probably be more challenging.

I mean ultimately it comes down to licensing, but you're right there might be some cross-licensing concerns, but if I were Sony, I'd still have released a version in Japan that was just the Nippon League. Like you've already built the game...
Very shocked this hasn't happened already. I for sure thought that it would.

My assumption was:

Year 1 - Xbox
Year 2 - Nintendo
Year 3 - PC

It held true until the Nintendo part, and then the PC version just never happened lol
Ultimately, Sony's multiplatform strategy isn't very mature. They did this because they had to, not because they wanted to. My guess is the PC version would have taken the most time/effort and they didn't get around to it this year or maybe we'll see a release in a few months. I would be stunned if next years version doesn't have a PC release.

The next steps for the game in terms of platforms are likely to be both PC and mobile. We know the studio has been hiring for mobile, and of course SIE has been pushing PC and mobile as platforms to expand to. I still think it's possible they'll integrate a PSVR2 mode for playing and spectating at some point.
I agree, ignoring mobile seems like a huge mistake too. PSVR2 is an obvious one as well, especially if they get it to the point where you can use it as a near life simulation.

LakeOf9

Ultimately, Sony's multiplatform strategy isn't very mature. They did this because they had to, not because they wanted to. My guess is the PC version would have taken the most time/effort and they didn't get around to it this year or maybe we'll see a release in a few months. I would be stunned if next years version doesn't have a PC release.
Fingers crossed! I assume COVID threw a wrench in plans too, but hopefully by this time next year, all platforms are covered.

At the very least a Diamond Dynasty mobile game would be easy money, shocked they haven't gotten around to that

Unfortunately Sony has adopted the EA model of sports releases. I don't know if it's a coincidence that ever since MLB The Show became third party, that the drop off in improvements skyrocketed.

It used to be the industry standard for sports games. Now it's just Madden or FIFA.

Meh. SlimySnake SlimySnake

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Having worked on tiger series at EA I can see why sie hasn't pushed a pc release. There's just to many variables and it takes for ever fix and polish.

I remember I found an issue on 1 of the tiger games on PC where a bug would occur on a specific gfx card but other cards it wouldn't. That type of stuff you don't want to run into but deep down you are happy you found it.

So happy they moved tiger to Florida.

Top Bottom