• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is making a PlayStation Studios publisher page on Steam

Who's next for a PC release ?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 85 37.0%
  • God of War

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Last of Us

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • The Nathan Drake Collection

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Spider-Man

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Dreams

Votes: 29 12.6%
  • inFamous

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters
It makes perfect sense. They want to try to make the most money possible.

They invested in the company without thinking that they were going to actively try to help their money grow. People or companies don't help companies they partially own in very facet and sacrifice your own money for them unless you think you'll make more money in the end doing so. Most people who think AMD or Apple stock will go up and buy it don't then exclusively buy AMD and Apple products to help their stock in a minuscule way. They buy what they actually want to buy and what is the most economical and brings them the most value to themselves. Microsoft doesn't do everything to support Facebook just because they own a small percent of them. They still compete with them on many facets because it makes them more money. But they still thought Facebook could still double, triple, or whatever in size.

You forget that Epic Games main business is making games (Fornite) and selling their engine (Unreal Engine). Sony probably invested in them because a shit ton of games rely on them nowadays and they have one of the most popular games in the world. Not because of their digital store front with a negative perception, no innovation and that's currently bleeding money. So yes, thy are going to grow a lot while Sony releases games on Steam too because Epic's main business units are not affected by that.

If Sony exclusively puts their games on EGS, they will probably make way less money than putting it on both. If Sony invested in Epic Games because they think the company will go up,. then the value of EGS would have to go up a lot because of that decision in order to justify denying Steam-only users.

Sony likely expects to make more money in the end because Epic Games will go up at its own volition and by being able to capitalize on all PC users they make a shit ton of money. Whatever money they would have got by supporting EGS only is likely seen as too risky (and speculative) or too little.
Whatever, it's pretty clear that you won't admit you're wrong. Nobody in their right mind would invest in something and then act against it, that's just stupid which is what Sony is doing, to surprise of no one

They could release the game for both stores but it seems that just makes too much sense for them.

RCU005

Sony exclusives are the only reason I own a playstation. If they finally put the good games out, then I will stop trying to buy a ps5.

I don't think Sony will ever launch a game on PC at the same time. This strategy is to entice PC players to get a PlayStation, not the other way around. Many people that are playing Horzon: Zero Dawn on PC, might want to consider buying a PS5 to play the sequel (or a PS4 since it's cross-gen). That's another reason they are giving it away right now with PlayStation @ Home.

Sony wants people to buy the sequel. They already sold the first game as much as they could, so any extra is just that for them.

I guess they will release games when their sequels are coming soon, and games that could be enjoyed with cross play like MP games. Also, Dreams would be very good idea to get it on PC.

jakinov

Whatever, it's pretty clear that you won't admit you're wrong. Nobody in their right mind would invest in something and then act against it, that's just stupid which is what Sony is doing, to surprise of no one

They could release the game for both stores but it seems that just makes too much sense for them.
Why would I admit I was wrong when you've done nothing to actually try to counter/rebuttal anything I've said. All you've done is "ask why" they are doing it and say what they are doin "don't make sense". But you aren't listening to the why or trying to make sense of it. Now you are just shrugging things off and make it seem like I'm stubborn.

also:

Yerd

I don't think Sony will ever launch a game on PC at the same time. This strategy is to entice PC players to get a PlayStation, not the other way around. Many people that are playing Horzon: Zero Dawn on PC, might want to consider buying a PS5 to play the sequel (or a PS4 since it's cross-gen). That's another reason they are giving it away right now with PlayStation @ Home.

Sony wants people to buy the sequel. They already sold the first game as much as they could, so any extra is just that for them.

I guess they will release games when their sequels are coming soon, and games that could be enjoyed with cross play like MP games. Also, Dreams would be very good idea to get it on PC.
I have no problem waiting for a game years after initial release. I've already played all the big name games on ps4. Demon's Souls is the only one I have yet to play because I can't buy a ps5. It's also the one game I think has the highest probability to get a pc port. I just want to know if some of them will get a port, there is no reason for me to own a ps5.

They sell hardware at a loss anyway. It makes sense to sell the software only on as many platforms as possible.

I would buy all the same games again on pc and sell my ps4.

With low stock on ps5, coronavirus, and the fact that MS is doing so well right now, can only mean this trend will continue on and on. As matter a fact, I could definitely see Sony releasing day and date in the near future.

Bkdk

I’ll give Sony games a go if they support mods, their games desperately need mods to improve those bland to awful character designs.

Dream-Knife

Banned
What's the point owning a PlayStation if I can play their games on PC?

Especially if the games end up in PC on day one which I still think is a bad idea. Besides convenience and cheaper hardware, that’s really all I can think of to be truthfully honest.
Because you guys want a subsidized box for cheap that lets you just play the game without having to choose settings.

If you're happy with a console, this doesn't change that.

Top Bottom