• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment head says PlayStation isn’t done with acquisitions yet

EDMIX

Diverse set of games? Let’s hope it’s more diverse than last gen then….
Dc91nTi.jpg

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre bud

I like how seeing someone's back MUST mean they are all the same. Thats like saying being able to see from the first person perspective means Bioshock, Call Of Duty, Firewatch and Fallout 76 MUST all be the same game, genre etc.

ok bud.

Good luck with that logic

arvfab

Banned
surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre bud

I like how seeing someone's back MUST mean they are all the same. Thats like saying being able to see from the first person perspective means Bioshock, Call Of Duty, Firewatch and Fallout 76 MUST all be the same game, genre etc.

ok bud.

Good luck with that logic

Come on, maybe he meant how each of the Sony exclusives is a GotY candidate?

No?

DeepSpace5D

Dc91nTi.jpg
I could also point to many different locales in Uncharted 4 that are not forested areas, like in the ocean on the boat island hopping, the tuxedo party auction house, Madagascar, the scuba diving underwater, the mansion, etc.

But then that would not fit the agenda that this silly screenshot comparison tries to make.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Are they? I personally had a blast with them.
When i was a kid i had a blast playing with popsicle sticks. You can have fun with about anything as long as you put your mind into it.

Many GotY candidates and winners, even a recent GOAT winner.
Means shit these days.

What do you like or don't find boring?
I'm very lenient with games actually, and doesn't take much for me to enjoy one. Usually my biggest requirement is for the devs to have actually tried to make something interesting one way or another, don't care if it falls short somewhat.

Now, the type of game i absolutely hate and have the hardest time enjoying? Templates. Games that just follow CEO-approved models and don't really try to do anything other than impress journalists with absolutely safe (read highly predictable) story and design choices. Guess which category the games of that image fall into?

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Now, the type of game i absolutely hate and have the hardest time enjoying? Templates. Games that just follow CEO-approved models and don't really try to do anything other than impress journalists with absolutely safe (read highly predictable) story and design choices.

So you don't like any Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Bethesda games?

Guess which category the games of that image fall into?

To the masterpiece category, of course! Great stories, surrounded by immersive gameplay and amazing technical accomplishments. Daring games, for an adult public.

Guilty_AI

So you don't like any Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Bethesda games?
I don't actually, save some rare exceptions here and there.

To the masterpiece category, of course! Great stories, surrounded by immersive gameplay and amazing technical accomplishments. Daring games, for an adult public.
Great stories? adult public? D-Daring?
BWAHAHAHAHAHA nice one mate now tell me your real opinion

My bet is Kojima Productions is up next. Kojima and PlayStation goes a long way back, it should come as no surprise if Sony folded Koji pro into PS Worldwide Studios. From Software will most likely stay independent under Kadokawa but they will certainly produce a couple of PS-exclusive games ala Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

They have been partners for the longest time, so, normally, Kojima Productions would fall in line with other acquisition candidates. Except that Kojima went through a nasty divorce with Konami, so I am not sure he would be ecstatic to compromise his newly found freedom, so to speak. But maybe when he decides to retire, provided that he will have prepared a suitable studio head by then? Who knows? 🤔

They have been partners for the longest time, so, normally, Kojima Productions would fall in line with other acquisition candidates. Except that Kojima went through a nasty divorce with Konami, so I am not sure he would be ecstatic to compromise his newly found freedom, so to speak. But maybe when he decides to retire, provided that he will have prepared a suitable studio head by then? Who knows? 🤔
Think about it. Sony or Microsoft spend who knows how much on Kojima Studios. They can't force Kojima to continue working there, so he takes the money and leaves. What are you left with? You didn't even obtain the licenses to any major IPs (Sony already owns Death Stranding, I believe).

Think about it. Sony or Microsoft spend who knows how much on Kojima Studios. They can't force Kojima to continue working there, so he takes the money and leaves. What are you left with? You didn't even obtain the licenses to any major IPs (Sony already owns Death Stranding, I believe).

Hence why I expressed doubts about it. But who knows, really?

kyoji

Dc91nTi.jpg
This man really been butthurt all day smh. The guy who likes to play victim card in the past and accuse others of warring, this is that self reflection i told you about weeks ago.. look at yourself, this might not end well for you given the new policy, or maybe you think youre untouchable, either way youre super disingenious and i imagine you cry every time you turn on your ps5 to play.

Guilty_AI

So please tell me, which games - the names - do you enjoy?
As i said, i'm not too picky and can enjoy basically anything that didn't threw creativity down the drain for a higher metacritic score and a million extra sales.

But if i had to pick some all time favorites, i'd go with:
VA-11 Hall A, Crosscode, Driver San Francisco, Nier Automata, Deus Ex original, MGSV, Undertale, Portal, The Talos Principle, original G(od)OW trilogy, Ib, Katawa Shoujo, Higurashi, Atelier Ayesha... probably some more i'm not remembering immediatly.

Seems like you don't like good games, not even masterpieces.
I like interesting games or excellently designed games. What you're calling masterpieces are basically bloats of safety designed to appeal to as many people as possible and to be easy on the journalists evaluating them.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
I like interesting games or excellently designed games. What you're calling masterpieces are basically bloats of safety designed to appeal to as many people as possible and to be easy on the journalists evaluating them.

You are right, look at GoW, completely revamped the gameplay, in a completely new setting. Really played it safe there.

Or the Last of Us 2, a game where everybody loved the fact that the main protagonist of the first game was killed early in the game AND you play as the woman who killed him for half of the game. Totally safe decision.

Guerrilla, a studio known for FPSs, plays it safe and creates an open world game, in a post-apocalyptic setting where robot dinosaurs exists (and a compelling story to find out WHY).

The only ones I would call "safe" would be Uncharted and Days Gone.

What about Dreams? Returnal? Demon's Souls? Are they also "safe"?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You are right, look at GoW, completely revamped the gameplay, in a completely new setting. Really played it safe there.
Yeah, those skill trees rpg progression + brawler + highly popular nordic setting are soooooooooooo daring.

Or the Last of Us 2, a game where everybody loved the fact that the main protagonist of the first game was killed early in the game AND you play as the woman who killed him for half of the game. Totally safe decision.
Wow, killing off previously stablished characters and multiple perspectives? Never saw those ones before.

Guerrilla, a studio known for FPSs, plays it safe and creates an open world game, in a post-apocalyptic setting where robot dinosaurs exists (and a compelling story to find out WHY).
>Open world
>post apocalypitic
Are you even reading what your writing?

And compelling story? Pleeeease. 2 Hours into the game and i felt like i was watching those really bad Australian teenage dramas. Then again, can't expect the creators of Killzone to have come up with something better.

What about Dreams? Returnal? Demon's Souls? Are they also "safe"?
I don't dislike every sony game you know. i liked Gravity rush, and Shadow of the Colossus, or the old GOW trilogy as i mentioned previously.

As for these ones, i don't think i have any strong opinion on them. Not a big fan of souls games. Dreams has potential that ends up botched by the things surrounding it. Returnal seems like a meh or ok rogue like, though i should mention can predict its the entire plot just by watching the marketing material so i can't say i have good hopes.

arvfab

Banned
Yeah, those skill trees rpg progression + brawler + highly popular nordic setting are soooooooooooo daring.

Wow, killing off previously stablished characters and multiple perspectives? Never saw those ones before.

>Open world
>post apocalypitic
Are you even reading what your writing?

And compelling story? Pleeeease. 2 Hours into the game and i felt like i was watching those really bad Australian teenage dramas. Then again, can't expect the creators of Killzone to have come up with something better.

I don't dislike every sony game you know. i liked Gravity rush, and Shadow of the Colossus, or the old GOW trilogy as i mentioned previously.

As for these ones, i don't think i have any strong opinion on them. Not a big fan of souls games. Dreams has potential that ends up botched by the things surrounding it. Returnal seems like a meh or ok rogue like, though i should mention can predict its the entire plot just by watching the marketing material so i can't say i have good hopes.

Ok now I get it: you just don't like popular games, no matter if good or not. Got it.

junguler

Banned
not something i'm happy about as it means less games for xbox players but i don't blame them either as microsoft has given them no other choice, it still baffles me seeing people be happy about some gamers not being able to play a game, everyone loses in that situation.

yurinka

Dc91nTi.jpg
Yes, Sony has a bigger and more diverse catalog than any other big publisher. They also release more big new IPs that the other big publishers and more unique and risky games than the other big publishers.

This picture is obviously a cherrypicked tiny sample of the amount of games they make. It would be like to do the same with Nintendo putting 5 Nintendo games with Mario on it, or 5 MS racing games, or 5 MS shooters all set on a similar, common setting.

No more acquisitions.

If governments weren't corrupt and owned by corporations, these monopolies would get broken up.
What monopolies? Sony recently bought a studio that makes PC ports, another one that makes remakes, a couple of studios who made a few VR games and another one that recently released their first AAA game.

MS bought a publisher that represented maybe around 2% of the PS4 game sales and even less of Switch sales.

And over half of the gaming revenue is made on mobile, where Sony and MS are basically nothing.

I don’t really expect them to acquire Kadokawa, as far as I understood the investment was mostly made to protect their interests and make it harder for anyone else of the big players to get to From Software. But that was mostly speculation as well but it sounded reasonable.
Sony didn't make any investment, they didn't pay anything. Kadokawa game 1.9% of its shares to Sony and 1.9% to CyGame's parent company in exchange to these companies to help bring to the global market (until now they have been focused on Japan only) Kadokawa's anime and games on console and mobile.

3 billion dollars company for Souls?

totally worth it matthew perry GIF
Kadokawa includes several game publishers and developers in addition to From, in addition to a big catalog of PS exclusives since PS1, a ton of manga and anime publishing labels, IPs and studios to make them, plus cinema and tv stuff (like Tokyo Movie Shinsha), editorials who publishes books and magazines (like Enterbrain) and many other things.

Sony could milk a lot of this stuff through many channels and would recoup this investment in only a few years.

Last edited:
People quite often throw around Kadowkawa as an acquisition target for whoever they like but From Software but they're such a tiny part of the corporation that it would be a financial mistake to spend that much money just to buy From. I know that Sony already own part of them but again it's a tiny amount really and it was part of a long term agreement to benefit both companies.
They are probably a better fit for Sony rather than Microsoft in reality with Films, TV and games being a big crossover for them but there are still large parts that wouldn't be a great deal of use, unless of course they were wanting to move into print publication again.
I suppose at a push it could be a way ti strengthen their Marvel ties and help Marvel strengthen what they do in Japan, it still seems a bit of a push though when they already have a multiyear deal with them.

arvfab

Banned
Yeah, cause MGSV, Deus Ex, Nier Automata and the original God of Wares are these completely obscure niche games no one ever heard of.

Dude, it's okay. You don't have to prove anything. You don't like masterpieces like GoW or TLOU2, you find them boring. It's fine!

Just please don't spread any bullshit regarding "playing it safe to please the critics and to sell" or how they are some kind of "templates", as the only thing these games have in common, are the incredible production values.

EDMIX

Yeah, cause MGSV, Deus Ex, Nier Automata and the original God of Wares are these completely obscure niche games no one ever heard of.

I like how you just ignored this "Driver San Francisco" lol

Yet you really trying to talk shit about the God Of War reboot, but list Ubisoft's Driver? ummmmm ok my guy. I have nothing against the games you listed btw, simply that it seems odd to talk shit about other games, when some of the titles you listed are not even in the ballpark of those other titles like God Of War reboot, The Last Of Us, Horizon etc. I played most of what you listed and it sounds forced as fuck, like you are trying your best to pretend such concepts are bad or safe

Open world?
Post apocalyptic?
RPG?
3rd Person?

Sir...that is pretty different from what GG was doing with Killzone. DIfferent setting, genre, perspective etc.

Yet funny enough, if we even fucking list that exact thing, we'd be describing another fucking game you listed that you liked Nier....

So is that not open world? Not in a post apocalyptic type setting? Not an RPG? Not 3rd person? So fuck me man, if you can see those games are different even with having many seminaries, I have no clue why you are working so hard to pretend all teh games on that picture follow a um "template" foh.

Then have the audacity to list a Ubisoft game? The massive lolz on that one. They have been accused of having some "template" for the longest time so I find it extremely funny you even listed that lol

As if God Of War reboot and The Last Of Us 2 are the same thing, but get this everyone...Nier Automata and Horizon are different using this odd logic? If you can find the difference from those games, pretty fucking positive you can see that picture does't have a template of shit bud, seeing someone's back and being on Earth is not a um "template" lol

Whats next? They walk, talk, breath and stuff, MUST be a some CEO template brah /s

Last edited:
maybe you think youre untouchable,

Nobody is on this site to be honest and that's how it should be. I'm well aware that I'm susceptible to punishment if I break the rules here. Hopefully this crackdown will make people think similarly.

If you're going to post something just to make others mad it's better to not post it. Not the same thing as having an opinion that people will disagree with BTW.

Guilty_AI

the only thing these games have in common, are the incredible production values.
And that they're all sleep inducing.

Its ok bro, its normal. Lots of people prefer it boring and safe, find confort on going through the same motions and story beats over and over again, nothing wrong with that, we're free to choose how to spend our time after all. Pretty sure these games must really be masterpieces from the perspective of such people, though going to such lenghts to defend them gives me the impression their perceived quality must be pretty shaky.

So instead of playing games on your favourite plastic box, you preferred to prove how triggered you are and tell us all how boring these games are 💩.
Just got out of a risk of rain 2 session. Cool game, nice soundtrack too.
Probably will go play some Atelier Ayesha or Cry of Fear as soon as i finish writing this.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned

Its ok bro, its normal. Lots of people prefer it boring and safe, find confort on going through the same motions and story beats over and over again, nothing wrong with that, we're free to choose how to spend our time after all. Pretty sure these games must really be masterpieces from the perspective of such people, though going to such lenghts to defend them gives me the impression their perceived quality must be pretty shaky.

Probably will go play some Atelier Ayesha or Cry of Fear as soon as i finish writing this.
You're so edgy. Teach me how I can be more like you 😎.

XXL

Gold Member

Its ok bro, its normal. Lots of people prefer it boring and safe, find confort on going through the same motions and story beats over and over again, nothing wrong with that, we're free to choose how to spend our time after all. Pretty sure these games must really be masterpieces from the perspective of such people.

its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

arvfab

Banned

"Bro", the difference between you and me, is that I play and like games like Nier etc., too. And funny thing: Nier is imho also a masterpiece. SotC is my favorite game of all times. I had tears of joy when the Grim Fandango remaster was announced.

Don't know why you are scared of truly good games like the Sony first party games, maybe console fanboysm, or maybe you just like to be "alternative", I don't know, but it's sad that you feel the urge to attack them and those who like them and spread lies about them.

So far most of their acquisitions have been smaller. The one of most note honestly is Bluepoint. I don't think they'll make a huge publisher purchase tho. I can see them trying to go after fromsoft next. Seems like a sony move.

Guilty_AI

"Bro", the difference between you and me, is that I play and like games like Nier etc., too. And funny thing: Nier is imho also a masterpiece. SotC is my favorite game of all times. I had tears of joy when the Grim Fandango remaster was announced.

Don't know why you are scared of truly good games like the Sony first party games, maybe console fanboysm, or maybe you just like to be "alternative", I don't know, but it's sad that you feel the urge to attack them and those who like them and spread lies about them.
They're just boring and safe mate, thats all there is to it. And i'm not attacking anyone, people are free to enjoy whatever, as i said i don't have some deeply complex tastes myself. Though i do like to think about what i'm playing*.

And its not like i blame the developers for making these games boringly safe either. Just look at what happened with Death Stranding, can't even try something different without half the public losing their minds. In the end most prefer to stick to their familiar samey experiences.

*Like for example, you called Nier A a masterpiece. Why you think so? What was about the game that made you openly consider it a masterpiece?

Last edited:
Top Bottom