• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment head says PlayStation isn’t done with acquisitions yet

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
fNUCmWqgp2ruCe3AxC9HqE-320-80.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment head Hermen Hulst has said that PlayStation isn’t completely finished with acquisitions yet.

"We are open always to building new relationships or bringing people in-house," Hulst explains, "but only if we adhere to the quality-first mentality and the right kind of innovative content, new experiences, diverse experiences," he continues.

The Sony boss then goes on to explain that all of the teams the company has acquired have a lot in common, whilst also being very different from each other. "I think that's what the PlayStation audience, the PlayStation fans, deserve, it's that diverse slate of games coming out of PlayStation Studios."

Brigandier

Just Square Enix and From to go and there's absolutely zero reason at all to buy any other platform..... Oh and Sony win the "War" the mightyieth conquerors.

Am I doing it right?

arvfab

Banned
I suspect the same for MS 🤷‍♂️

Is Kojima Productions a PS Studio? I fired up the Directors Cut bonus the other day and it had the PS Studio logo.

I think it's because it is a Sony IP and therefore a PS Studio game. Demon's Souls remake, Sackboy Adventures, Destruction All-Stars, all have that logo, too, if I remember correctly.

...but than I see HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 react to your post, and think that maybe there might be something more behind it😂

Arun1910

I think it's because it is a Sony IP and therefore a PS Studio game. Demon's Souls remake, Sackboy Adventures, Destruction All-Stars, all have that logo, too, if I remember correctly.

...but than I see HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 react to your post, and think that maybe there might be something more behind it😂
Oh... thats kind of weird. I personally wouldn't call them PS Studios if they aren't actually PS Studios.

kyliethicc

Elios83

My bet is Kojima Productions is up next. Kojima and PlayStation goes a long way back, it should come as no surprise if Sony folded Koji pro into PS Worldwide Studios. From Software will most likely stay independent under Kadokawa but they will certainly produce a couple of PS-exclusive games ala Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.
While there is certainly a good relationship between them the problem with Kojima Productions is that there is little value outside of the skills and reputation of a director who is already 58 years old. If he retires after an other game or two the investment is kinda lost.

From Software is a much more interesting and valuable acquisition, they worked on exclusives together and Sony invested in Kadowaka earlier this year. Who knows...

ZywyPL

Banned
Man, this is the gen of acquisitions.

Well, video games industry has reached a point where it's too huge to be ignored, hence we see companies like Tencent, Google, Amazon, Facebook, recently Netflix etc. heavily jumping in, so everyone has to buy everything that's possible now until it's too late and there's nothing left, everyone wants/needs to secure means to have a constant flow of content for their own platform, and deals with 3rd parties don't guarantee that because there's always someone with a bigger check that can show up and get the deal instead, owning a company is the only way to have be certain they'll be making games for you, always.

skit_data

Yep.

Sony already owns 1.9% of them, so definitely there would be more things on it that would be of value to Sony.
I don’t really expect them to acquire Kadokawa, as far as I understood the investment was mostly made to protect their interests and make it harder for anyone else of the big players to get to From Software. But that was mostly speculation as well but it sounded reasonable.

Andodalf

Banned
No point in buying kojima because if he leaves there's no more studio he's the only asset .. from would be a much better buy imho .
Yeah Buying Kokipro makes no sense for anyone ever. even with like a crazy 20 year non compete, I'm sure he could just go and try to make movies and retire from games if he felt like leaving.

EDMIX

Man, this is the gen of acquisitions.

To be fair, Sony has bought teams pretty much every generation. They are always looking to acquire new talent or start up new studios before or at the start of a generation.

Like buying ND at the start of the PS2 generation, or GG at the start of the PS3 gen or Sucker Punch at the start of the PS4 gen etc

Every generation is one of acquisitions sir.

Thirty7ven Thirty7ven tbh, who the fuck knows at this point, MS legit could buy them and I wouldn't be shocked.

Nothing is now that shocking after that Zenimax buy, anything can happen now lol Many thought that Zenimax deal was never going to happen and here we are. Who knows.

Last edited:
Still don't get why all this cheering for a Take Two or Square Enix acquisition.
I think people just lost their minds after the bethesda thing.
Publishers should be off of the table IMO, it doesn't make sense to buy them because most of their actual value comes from the fact that they release games on multiple platforms. Buying them just to take multiplatform games away from others is just a dick move, it's one thing to buy a developer but a publisher means several studios and several MP IP's that become exclusive and there is just no need for that IMO.

Top Bottom