• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony have done it. PlayStation 5 has had the Biggest Q1 for ANY console in HISTORY shipping 6.3 Million Units!

Except MS is bigger than Sony in gaming as well. Window PCs has more gamers and sells around 300 million a year. Sony might hit 120 million PS5 sales in 7 years at best lol.
TPOoJwV.jpg

number 3 baby.

Ronin_7

Except MS is bigger than Sony in gaming as well. Window PCs has more gamers and sells around 300 million a year. Sony might hit 120 million PS5 sales in 7 years at best lol.
The delusional takes you read online are something else.

Windows is just something where you install a client to play games from.

Microsoft doesn't make money because people are using Steam on Windows and you don't evaluate businesses based on their user count but their revenues and as we speak PlayStation completely dwarfs Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Microsoft doesn't make money because people are using Steam on Windows and you don't evaluate businesses based on their user count but their revenues and as we speak PlayStation completely dwarfs Xbox.
No. Because Steam and Epic use Windows, it means Microsoft also owns Steam and Epic, and they are a part of the "Xbox ecosystem."

jcQeMl9.jpg

Baki

Yet it isn't sustainable in the long run and most revenue is coming from subscription and microtransactions.
Why aren’t MTX and Subs revenue not sustainable? They’ve been growing it for the past 15 years and 3 console generations.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You do use Windows when you remember how they used their monopoly to drive growth in other product lines and how they can use it in the future again for the same purposes. You use Windows numbers when you know that can happen (and for some they are fully ok with that ;)).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And people wanted Sony to do a showcase while they were supply constrained. Now the shackles are off!
Watch Sony go into overdrive this Christmas quarter.

Cant wait to see their showcase....last gen is over. Time to see what Sony can do this year. We've known about spiderman for almost two years now...let's get that new shit for 2023!

Soosa

Banned
I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.
sell lot of consoles -> potential of quality games
sell tiny amount of consoles -> low potential of quality games

difficult?

Microsoft doesn’t make money on windows? Microsoft made around 130 billion dollars in profit in 2022.

That is more than what Sony is worth as a company lol.

Microsoft xbox already has more MAU than Sony. The same metric Sony uses as well.
Lol only when they want to spin the numbers that way. When they are trying to get Activision Sony is 5x more popular.

When they want their MAU numbers high, they force all Minecraft players on Switch, PC and PS4 to create Xbox accounts to count those for their MAU. Sony has games on PC, Switch and Xbox, but they don't count those as PlayStation MAU.

Microsoft spins their numbers to fit whatever narrative they want to spin. And when they can't, (like actual sales) they simply won't share those numbers, unlike Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:
It is a marathon not a sprint.
That's not how this works. It's more like a snowball. Success breeds more success.

It was Microsoft who infamously stated, "the first to 10 million will win".

The only exception I can think of is PS3 very slowly overtaking Xbox 360 right at the end. Every other generation, there's been an obvious and clear winner from the jump and that gap just grows larger.

That would require intellectual honesty.

No doubt that Microsoft owns Windows. But not every revenue stream that goes through that platform comes to them.

For example. Sure they receive sales from software in the Windows store. But if a game is sold on steam and Microsoft doesn't own it they probably don't see any income from it. Heck PC also has emulators and roms those dont mean Jack to Microsoft.

Topher

Gold Member
No doubt that Microsoft owns Windows. But not every revenue stream that goes through that platform comes to them.

For example. Sure they receive sales from software in the Windows store. But if a game is sold on steam and Microsoft doesn't own it they probably don't see any income from it. Heck PC also has emulators and roms those dont mean Jack to Microsoft.

Yep. Microsoft gets zero money from the sale of anything on Windows that isn't their own software or sold on their store. Equating Windows overall with Microsoft gaming is simple false. Valve is the king of PC gaming. Not Microsoft.

Yep. Microsoft gets zero money from the sale of anything on Windows that isn't their own software or sold on their store. Equating Windows overall with Microsoft gaming is simple false. Valve is the king of PC gaming. Not Microsoft.

It's also why the MAU arguments bother me. Not every MAU is going to give you income. Sometimes simply turning on your computer can trigger it. It's why I don't really like looking at MAUs to determine how successful something is.

Are you being serious?

Microsoft does not "own" PC gaming.

Microsoft gets 30% cut for every (third-party) game sold on Xbox. Just like Nintendo gets 30% for every Switch game and Sony gets 30% for every PS game.

Tell me, what does Microsoft get for games selling on PC? Hint - it's the same Sony and Nintendo get.

Last edited:
Are you being serious?

Microsoft does not "own" PC gaming.

Microsoft gets 30% cut for every (third-party) game sold on Xbox. Just like Nintendo gets 30% for every Switch game and Sony gets 30% for every PS game.

Tell me, what does Microsoft get for games selling on PC? Hint - it's the same Sony and Nintendo get.
They sure do get a cut because it promotes windows which means more money for Microsoft.

It’s like saying NVIDIA or AMD doesn’t make a profit on gaming.

They sure do get a cut because it promotes windows which means more money for Microsoft.

It’s like saying NVIDIA or AMD doesn’t make a profit on gaming.
Lol, ok then count every Xbox and Switch player who has a Sony tv or speaker hooked up as a PlayStation user.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.
To touch on this again....right now there are rumors that Rockstar is about to end DLC support on last gen GTA V Online. Its almost ended now, there's a mish mash of recent DLC updates where some features aren't on last gen. And performance on last gen is just getting worse.

They did this for the PS360 in 2015. That's in a quicker time vs now.

The more current gen console sold, the quicker we can move on from cross gen, last gen.

So that alone should be reason enough to celebrate. PS5 selling like hotcakes is helping to end cross gen faster.

"A rising tide lifts all boats"

Last edited:

John Wick

Microsoft doesn’t make money on windows? Microsoft made around 130 billion dollars in profit in 2022.

That is more than what Sony is worth as a company lol.
Wow, amazing. I think this is about the games console divisions. So I don't get what MS making 130 billion has to do with anything?
Apple made 170 billion profit...........

Top Bottom