• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony have done it. PlayStation 5 has had the Biggest Q1 for ANY console in HISTORY shipping 6.3 Million Units!

I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.
You do know that the bigger their userbase, the bigger the games will be right? And more investment for future projects, studios, etc?

As impressive as this quarter was the ps5 is still a few million units behind the ps4 at this point,
Everyone acting like this was a typical quarter all seem to have magically forgotten the 2-year shortage and last years relatively weak performance
Maybe the ps5 does have unusually high demand but I don't think it is much different than the ps4
Where to begin?

How about WHY PS5 fell behind PS4 despite selling out every console immediately for the first two years? I can't remember why, but I feel there were reasons for that......

Or how about you're just wrong. Because the PS5 HAS surpassed the PS4 time aligned already.

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-5-is-outselling-playstation-4/#:~:text=The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is,Mat Piscatella of Circana said.

And even if PS5 was behind the PS4 a bit, that would hardly be bad company. The PS4 was a beast and outsold both the Xbox One and Wii U combined nearly 2 to 1.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As impressive as this quarter was the ps5 is still a few million units behind the ps4 at this point,
Everyone acting like this was a typical quarter all seem to have magically forgotten the 2-year shortage and last years relatively weak performance
Maybe the ps5 does have unusually high demand but I don't think it is much different than the ps4
DeafeningGrandioseHylaeosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.
I will explain it to you.as we love this hobby and especially the PlayStation brand because we grew up with it and are still playing on it.The more success Sony has the more secure the future of this hobby is the more state of the art the next PlayStation console will be the more expensive and greater the games will be and us will have an greater time with our hobby.This is why we are happy about those numbers not because we are shareholders.

mitch1971

You've pretty much already answered why people are happy with console sales.

MrA

Where to begin?

How about WHY PS5 fell behind PS4 despite selling out every console immediately for the first two years? I can't remember why, but I feel there were reasons for that......

Or how about you're just wrong. Because the PS5 HAS surpassed the PS4 time aligned already.

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-5-is-outselling-playstation-4/#:~:text=The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is,Mat Piscatella of Circana said.

And even if PS5 was behind the PS4 a bit, that would hardly be bad company. The PS4 was a beast and outsold both the Xbox One and Wii U combined nearly 2 to 1.
Ps4 shipped over 40 million at this point, ps5 is at 38.4 million
Pascale is npd and npd is us only still behind worldwide, and I brought up why the ps5 was so behind the ps4, the shortages
Also under no circumstances do I consider performing in line with the ps4 as anything other than excellent , but outside of when I thought microsoft had there act together and would make cod exclusive , which would have been huge, I stand by the ps5 will perform within 10% of the ps4s performance

Unknown?

Ps4 shipped over 40 million at this point, ps5 is at 38.4 million
Pascale is npd and npd is us only still behind worldwide, and I brought up why the ps5 was so behind the ps4, the shortages
Also under no circumstances do I consider performing in line with the ps4 as anything other than excellent , but outside of when I thought microsoft had there act together and would make cod exclusive , which would have been huge, I stand by the ps5 will perform within 10% of the ps4s perfor
Nah it's going to blow past PS4 in just this next quarter.

SkylineRKR

Whats wild, is this is all before FFXVI, Spiderman 2, Silent Hill 2 and FFVII part 2.

Yes and these games come out when the supply issue has been resolved. I feel the likes of Horizon 2 kind of suffered because of it. It now makes sense why they released quite a bit of games cross gen until this point.

But for Spiderman 2, FFXVI and FFVII you have to have a PS5, which will boost the console even more.

Aenima

Aside 1st party support, the more a console sells, the more 3rd party publishers want to put they games on the console. So, more hardware sales lead to increased userbase that lead to more games.

Last edited:

MrA

Nah it's going to blow past PS4 in just this next quarter.
I don't think it will, it would need to sell 5.3 to equal the PlayStation 4, Summer months are universally the weakest, and the pent-up demand has probably burnt off as God of War bundles are already being discounted decently and not selling out For the ps5 to blow past the ps4 it would have to reach switch lockdown levels, or ds at the height of its popularity, I don't see anything that would move it so high.
final fantasy 16 and 7.2 are big games, but they overlap and are both probably going to sell around 5 million copies this year, spider-man is a huge release, but I doubt it will be much bigger than god of war (granted god of War was huge, don't misconstrue that as bad) it will probably sell 10 million this year, but again that won't rocket the console to the stratosphere,
PlayStation 5 has already had 3 iterations of it's many of its biggest annual sellers, and had many large releases already, unless the ps5 gets a cultural phenomenon game like gta exclusive, or something like mario kart or animal crossing , I don't see anything about it that shows a hugely different trajectory than the ps4, 2016 ps4 had final fantasy 15, dark souls 3, uncharted 4, were all similar size to the ps5 lineup,

I don't think it will, it would need to sell 5.3 to equal the PlayStation 4, Summer months are universally the weakest, and the pent-up demand has probably burnt off as God of War bundles are already being discounted decently and not selling out For the ps5 to blow past the ps4 it would have to reach switch lockdown levels, or ds at the height of its popularity, I don't see anything that would move it so high.
final fantasy 16 and 7.2 are big games, but they overlap and are both probably going to sell around 5 million copies this year, spider-man is a huge release, but I doubt it will be much bigger than god of war (granted god of War was huge, don't misconstrue that as bad) it will probably sell 10 million this year, but again that won't rocket the console to the stratosphere,
PlayStation 5 has already had 3 iterations of it's many of its biggest annual sellers, and had many large releases already, unless the ps5 gets a cultural phenomenon game like gta exclusive, or something like mario kart or animal crossing , I don't see anything about it that shows a hugely different trajectory than the ps4, 2016 ps4 had final fantasy 15, dark souls 3, uncharted 4, were all similar size to the ps5 lineup,
FFXVI and Sony’s showcase will stoke desire.

MrA

You do know that the bigger their userbase, the bigger the games will be right? And more investment for future projects, studios, etc?
even simpler if they make products you like, you need them to be successful to continue making products you like. I love when earth defense force does well because I want more earth defense force.

Puscifer

You mean releasing big AAA games gets people wanting to buy your systems?

Who would have thought?
Also doesn't help you can finally just walk in. I noticed that the droughts started happening again slightly just because you can get one and everyone who waited is snatching them up.

I watched someone buy it because "wait I can just get a PS5 now?"

Murdok

It's very easy to do this when you pay to remove third party games from other consoles, while trying to stop others from buying companies.

Congratulations to Nintendo that thanks to its exclusives manages to sell lots of consoles

Last edited:
It's very easy to do this when you pay to remove third party games from other consoles, while trying to stop others from buying companies.

Congratulations to Nintendo that thanks to its exclusives manages to sell lots of consoles
Hang in there champ.

Baki

Compared to mobile it is niche still. The AAA console scene is shrinking and only getting worse. If you can't see that I have nothing else to say. Apple and google makes way more money and more investments going towards mobile than ever before.
Yet Sony, MS and Nintendo are making record revenue and profits. Clearly the sign of a shrinking market.

Mr.Phoenix

So you don't think Sony will meet their 25M FY2023 target? Because if they do, that puts them ahead of the PS4 by this time next year. And even ahead of the PS2.

And a lot of what you are saying sounds like that whole `everyone that wants one has one argument`... I am sure you don't need me to tell you how flawed that argument is right?

Why should anyone celebrate shipments?
This needs to stop. Shipments and sold through are both valid measurements of success. Companies don't just blindly ship stuff out. Retailers sell it and BUY more from Sony, to sell. They don't buy more from Sony unless they're selling their previous stock.

Regardless, the PS5s ship have sold. Sony sold them to retailers.

Are you trying to say we have as many quality AAA games during the 360/ps3 error?
revenue is coming from subscription and microtransactions.
this has been since the PS3/360 era (is not like Subs/MTXs are this new unfamiliar thing).

is only because of those Xbox refuses to die.

PlayStation dominates on both fronts:
subs/MTXs revenue and Hardware Revenue.

the future is now, and MS is unable to compete with their "own "vision".

this has been since the PS3/360 era (is not like Subs/MTXs are this new unfamiliar thing).

is only because of those Xbox refuses to die.

PlayStation dominates on both fronts:
subs/MTXs revenue and Hardware Revenue.

the future is now, and MS is unable to compete with their "own "vision".
lol, Microsoft isn't going anywhere as they are making a lot of profit. MS will last a lot longer than Sony.

Microsoft xbox already has more MAU than Sony. The same metric Sony uses as well. Also, Sony will never be a trillion dollar corporation or have any long term plans when Consoles are eventually phased out.
is Nadella (MS CEO) lying then? .

Play Station is the market leader in:
Hardware
Software
Subscription
MTXs
MAU.

all of that without being a triple trillion-dollar company and not having all that "cloud infrastructure"...something doesn't add up with all of these green talking points.

is Nadella (MS CEO) lying then? .

Play Station is the market leader in:
Hardware
Software
Subscription
MTXs
MAU.

all of that without being a triple trillion-dollar company and not having all that "cloud infrastructure"...something doesn't add up with all of these green talking points.
Xbox is an eco system a lot bigger than console. Cloud, PC, Game pass, GAAS games like Minecraft, Halo, Sea of thieves, etc.

Top Bottom