• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group reflects on a potential Patapon movie

nial

Gold Member
I saw this tweet days ago, but then completely forgot about it. And to my surprise; not even our buddies Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives and Draugoth Draugoth made a thread about it. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Realtime Asset Supervisor Christina Douk focuses on the details to transform the 2D PlayStation® game Patapon™ into a potential 3D film.Go #BeyondTheScreen now: https://sony.com/en/brand/beyondthescreen/torchlight?s_tc=bts_sm_x_tlt_stc2_en#Sony
0e2K0iu.jpg

Even after the Sony CES thing, they've been showcasing Patapon A LOT in these R&D stuff and technology tests.

KagU3xn.jpg
fXFL2BL.jpg
LNg0qnY.jpg
ZAlIYwI.jpg

And now with Sony oficially talking about the possibilities of a Patapon movie (like, actually saying it), it looks like it could be happening.
But the actual exciting thing here, as seen with other media projects like Uncharted or The Last of Us, is that SIE may be preparing some sort of game, be it a new sequel or a remake, as a tie-in to this movie. Which would be the perfect chance for them (XDEV Japan) to collaborate again with Pyramid Inc., the studio behind the Patapon series.

Last edited:
The Patapon film is to demonstrate the capability of creating a cinematic “draft”, utilizing Sony’s torchlight platform. Less a movie, more a showcase of their efficiency and cost-effective filmmaking. Film is likely for a direct-to-streaming service like Netflix.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The purpose of the patapon film is to showcase the ability to create a “draft” of a flim for under a million using this their tools. So it’ll probably be a straight to netflix type of movie.
that's immediately what i thought
Which would require a fair justification for them to do so, like when they sold the distribution rights of some of their movies to Netflix as the pandemic was making theatrical releases much more difficult to achieve.
SPE leans more to this strategy.

Which would require a fair justification for them to do so, like when they sold the distribution rights of some of their movies to Netflix as the pandemic was making theatrical releases much more difficult to achieve.
now that I think about, it’s probably a short film that plays before the next Spiderverse.

Top Bottom