• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

nofi

Chris_C said:
Right at the start of the conference, during the opening video montage showing off a bunch of games I could have sworn I heard an audio snippet that sounded like:

"The subjects name is Richard B. Riddick".

I expected an announcement of something related to the Riddick universe, whether it was the rumored remake of Butcher Bay or a PSN follow up or something. Did anyone else catch that?

Yeah, I did.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I heard that too, and I'm very confused about that now..

Is that name being used in some other upcoming game..?

TwiztidElf

The Good
So, we kick off with loud music, cars, explosions and a swag of games being thrown up on the screen quickly via slick editing.
Finally, someone gets it. Sony, the true veterans, with experience showing through.
Tretton promises to get the blood pumping with some genre defining kick ass games. He's already got my eyes swimming with that insanely strobing shirt. I like Tretton. He's very likable, moreso than any of the presenters on any of the PC's.

Games montages. Hooray! Sony gets it.
Looks like some pretty nice titles in some of these montages. A lot of them are MP though.

Pain - Amusement Park looks cool.
Siren - Blood Curse also looks cool.
Infamous looks nice.

DC Universe Online. WIKKID. So Sony are going to deliver what Microsoft promised and didn't deliver in Marvel Universe Online. This is one I'll be keeping an eye on. My only concern is balance. How can any game with Superman in it have any kind of balance? It doesn't make any sense in single player games to start with. How on earth are they going to balance Superman in an MMO?

MAG. Pretty impressed by this. Has the potential to be massive.

The Bad
Sony, you didn't invent CD, and you didn't make it big. It was already big when the PS1 came along tyvm.

What is it with the PS3 and flat boring textures? Resistance2 suffers.

Presentation falls in a boring hole very quickly.

POLYPHONY, here's a tip: MAKE GODDAMN FUCKING GT5 ALREADY! I don't care about all this other SHIT. If I wanted to watch Top Gear, I'd turn on my TV and watch it. How could they not even mention GT5??? When's it coming? 2010?

Home? Boring.

Now a whole raft of non-gaming shite. Movies, Tv Shows, Live News. Pfft, don't care.
More yawn-worthy PSP nonsense.

God of War 3 might have been ok if they'd shown some gameplay.

10 year lifecycle. :lol:

Sony shows up to a videogame conference with a bag full of videogames. Default win for Sony.

DangerStepp

TwiztidElf said:
The Good
DC Universe Online. WIKKID. So Sony are going to deliver what Microsoft promised and didn't deliver in Marvel Universe Online. This is one I'll be keeping an eye on. My only concern is balance. How can any game with Superman in it have any kind of balance? It doesn't make any sense in single player games to start with. How on earth are they going to balance Superman in an MMO?

Didn't they say something to effect of, "you'll be assisting superheroes"? Maybe you play as Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane rather than the actual superheroes themselves. I call dibs on Alfred.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TwiztidElf said:
10 year lifecycle. :lol:
the first playstation had an 11 year life cycle, the ps2 is on it's 8th year...

the life cycle simply means you can buy it for 10 years and new games will be on it for 10 years. they don't throw their systems away. there's new games for the ps2 for example. it doesn't mean the ps4 comes in 10 years on the dot.

Jim

After dwelling a bit on the conferences and announcements, I think Sony's conference was actually better than I initially thought. A little all over the place and somewhat unexciting in excecution, but it was definitely solid at the very least. Great PSN stuff coming. Video download store actually surprisingly good... and it has a text search.

There was stuff suspiciously missing, which I guess will make an appearance during other regional shows (JP, EU, etc). And probably behind closed door stuff for sure.

Fat Princess FTW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jim said:
After dwelling a bit on the conferences and announcements, I think Sony's conference was actually better than I initially thought. A little all over the place and somewhat unexciting in excecution, but it was definitely solid at the very least. Great PSN stuff coming. Video download store actually surprisingly good... and it has a text search.

There was stuff suspiciously missing, which I guess will make an appearance during other regional shows (JP, EU, etc). And probably behind closed door stuff for sure.

Fat Princess FTW.
i think the thing with the sony conference is that there's something in each "section" you can like. and there was nothing particularly unappealing compared to the others.

for example, the psn and home looks good compared to Microsoft's generic new dashboard and avatars.

sony didn't do anything embarrassing either. holyshit at duffy and wii music.

TwinsDad

Jim said:

Fat Princess FTW.

I did the same thing. I watched it twice last night once, for the wow factor. another for the presentation. It was better then I thought at first. My only real complaints were no RPG games that I saw a trailer of, and some of the trailers were way to short to get an idea of the game. I love Jack, much better then the other Sony presenters, but the man needs a personality transplant. He tried the jokes and they came off stiff.

The Sony boards were OMG, GOW3. Unless my memory fades me, I don't recall anything more then a few splash screens. Nothing to get me exited about.

Gwanatu T

Karma said:
360 will have full game install by then.

And probably 2 more dashboard redesigns at the rate we're going. :lol

Jim said:

Fat Princess FTW.

I agree, and the same went with MS's conference afterward. I felt better about it after dwelling on it for a while, and overall I still agree that Sony and MS's conferences were tied in my book. Both did plenty of things right and had a few missteps in there as well. No big deal, but MS had the only megaton this year.

RpgN

Watching Sony's conference you would be crazy not be impressed with it. Lots of unexpected new titles and they represented each console well enough. I also loved that LBP presentation and the video service starting the same day is pretty huge as well.

But the rpg fan in me is very disappointed. I wanted Sony to counterattack that FFXIII announcement in some way, announce a few RPGs for us. Yet I believe SCEJ is keeping them for the TG. I hope for the best.

Nintendo's was a joke. Microsoft did okay. GOW2 looked nice and the FFXIII megaton saved them, but they didn't announce any new games. For an rpg fan they did well though. In the end I think Sony's conference was overall a little better than Microsoft's conference.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
my biggest disspointed was Sony Bend doing Resistance for PSP instead of new next gen Syphon Filter PS3 .

didn't anyone at sony hear anything about MGS4 sales and that stealth games can sell and there is few of them , and also about PSP's piracy?

Sony Bend on PSP again and for Resistance is waste of everything , PSP doesn't need need Resistance it need PSP2 that is hacker proof .

Sony Bend was fucking awesome with Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow , on other Hand MGS4 sells great , so even a Monkey and a Donkey will know for sure that PS3 owners need more great Stealth games now , not a Shooter on PSP .

for me the wrong thing for the press conference was not showing SCEWWS games

200v6ll.gif

this gen just like the beginning of 32bit era when 3DO , Saturn and PSX shared the same games and there was no big 3rd paty exclusives what so ever , and as in Wollan's Thread there is no big important or significant 3rd party exclusive for any HD system right now .

so it was a big opportunity to show to the world what can sell PS3s ( SCEWW games as the PS3's advantage ) but they didn't do that at the press conf .

we know they have games coming from SCEE , SCEJ and SCEA , we know about some of these games , but they just didn't show them , didn't even care to talk about them , it's like saying to all PS3 owners that they don't have games anymore which they actually have lot of them even more in what on Nintendo 1st party line or MS's .

they didn't show K2 online in the press conference , even the PSN presentation was lacking , they already did an event for The Last Guy in Japan but they didn't talk about it in E3 08 or even games like Linger in Shadows or or Wipeout HD , wow , is the new E3 that worthless for them ?

I know that they have Playstation Premiere and TGS ( the biggest game show now ) but , when you lose a nig game and you have your own games just show some of them , Nintendo did that and their 1st party games was what kept them floating with N64 and Gamecube even with near none 3rd party support .

Totobeni said:
my biggest disspointed was Sony Bend doing Resistance for PSP instead of new next gen Syphon Filter PS3 .
Yes, I really, really wanted this as well, Syphon Filter PS3 would be awesome and certainly would have been far more interesting than MAG. Seems like Sony just thinks Syphon Filter is a secondary franchise not deserving of a next gen update (although they've treated it like that ever since Syphon 3 came to PS1 instead of being developed for PS2)

The thing with Sonys conference was that they talked about 3 platforms. That takes a lot out of the momentum, where MS just talked about the 360. Still, MS's was embarrassingly bad so they lose but not by much because of the megaton. Both were not what they could have been though.

Integra

Neo Member
the conference was impressive. especially with seeing God of War III. :D same for LittleBigPlanet. now I'm excited about that game too.

Paznos

Tntnnbltn said:
Just watching the conference now and one thing caught my attention:

Ico is pronounced 'ee-co'? MIND = BLOWN. All this time I was saying 'eye-co'
Nice to see I wasn't the only one calling it eye-co

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Just watching the conference now and one thing caught my attention:

Ico is pronounced 'ee-co'? MIND = BLOWN. All this time I was saying 'eye-co'

Ico is japanese.

Nintendo's Wii and Mii didn't make it clear the i's are pronouced ee?

Rainy Dog

RpgN said:
But the rpg fan in me is very disappointed. I wanted Sony to counterattack that FFXIII announcement in some way, announce a few RPGs for us. Yet I believe SCEJ is keeping them for the TG. I hope for the best.

Me too RpgN. Wasn't really taken with the way some games were too briefly shown during the conference, but I've been impressed by what I've seen today. Fat Princess, R&C:QFB and the handful of PSN games look great. Motorstorm 2 looks superb, R2 looks grander each time its shown, and glad they're focussing on K2's multiplayer and not showing anymore single player environments (we've already seen two levels in their entirety).

But...can't deny the slight disappointment with the continuing focus on Western orientated 'action' titles and online stuff. Hopefully, as you say, the Japanese originated goodness is been saved for TGS however.

HolyStar

Banned
PIMPBYBLUD said:
In my opinion he is one of the better presenters he was very presentable and gave us some chuckles in the audience. I like him out of all of the Sony hats.

And Reggie beats them both. He was the best speaker out of all of them.

HolyStar

Banned
I still don't see how people thought Sony won. Even Gamefaqs, which has tons of Nintendo Fanboys, had Microsoft wining the conference by 41%. Sony was 17%, and Nintendo was ~13%.

I really think Sony focused mainly on the American developers.

With so many events over the years, Japan and Europe developers will have their own home ground to release their news.

iceatcs

Developer in Training said:
With so many events over the years, Japan and Europe developers will have their own home ground to release their news.

Europe will have press event tonight I think, but it is more for 80GB things.

Rapping Granny said:
I just wanted to see some Heavy Rain.

When is Playstation Premiere?
No one confirm it yet, but from last 2 Playstation Premiere usually few days after end of E3.

Frillen

HolyStar said:
I still don't see how people thought Sony won. Even Gamefaqs, which has tons of Nintendo Fanboys, had Microsoft wining the conference by 41%. Sony was 17%, and Nintendo was ~13%.

Microsoft also won on each of the General Boards over at the IGN Boards, even on the PS3GB with a whooping 62% of the toal votes compared to the PS3 with 34%.

HolyStar said:

Using gamefaqs as a reference for determining anything is ridiculous.

malsumis

DeathNote said:
35at99x.jpg

i'll tell you how to tell who won e3.

who has the the most games that give us amazing gifs like that?
This.

no, really, "winning" E3 should be measured by the number of gifs afterwards ;D

Quazar

So I heard about some new trailer for R2 with a shit load of enemies. Where can I find it? Think my brother saw it on G4. Any good quality footage of it somewhere?

The conference may have been disappointing but seeing the coverage of the great games coming to PS3 from E3 has been fantastic and has really blown me away.

xaosslug

Jim said:

Fat Princess FTW.

yup. FAT Princess and LBP win E3, cold!

Top Bottom