• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

joey_z

Banned
I personally peaked at this point during the conference:

ratc.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chris_C said:
Right at the start of the conference, during the opening video montage showing off a bunch of games I could have sworn I heard an audio snippet that sounded like:

"The subjects name is Richard B. Riddick".

I expected an announcement of something related to the Riddick universe, whether it was the rumored remake of Butcher Bay or a PSN follow up or something. Did anyone else catch that?
Yeah, and the Butcher Bay remake is not a rumor, its definitely in the works (gameplay vids were shown off in December, a magazine did a preview in March) but we don't know much about it, unfortunately.

Frillen

gamerecks said:
Using gamefaqs as a reference for determining anything is ridiculous.

Well, a few individuals on this board still thinks Sony had the best press conference, so let's not diss Gamefaqs for once being more smart minded than GAF.

Frillen said:
Well, a few individuals on this board still thinks Sony had the best press conference, so let's not diss Gamefaqs for once being more smart minded than GAF.
Cool to know Yahoo and Edge are dumb as we are!

Gotta love the guys who are so self-absorbed they actually take their opinions as fact. :lol

Elios83

OmegaRed said:
I think Heavy Rain was mentioned in the PR from the conference.

That's why I was asking, according to the PR they were planning to show it but it wasn't there for some reason and it's now scheduled to appear next month in Leipzig.

Truespeed

Hey everyone, it's internationally unknown recording artist Duffy. Choo Choo. Let's get this MOFO press conference back on track.

duffy_performing_1948561.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Elios83 said:
That's why I was asking, according to the PR they were planning to show it but it wasn't there for some reason and it's now scheduled to appear next month in Leipzig.

wow , too much new info dude .

ok this is weird , if Heavy Rain a game that might do what Killzone 2 did in E3 2007 was ready for the show , then why not showing it especially when you lost one exclusive the other day ?

now I wonder , was the the Last Guy removed from the Press conf too ? you know they did an event for it in japan already so why keeping it as secret too , and that SCEE FPS too .

because it was funky when they show us R2 only on the press conference stage and nothing else , even when Killzone 2 and MotorStom 2 and Infamous were there on the show and all playble too , there was like empty slots in the press conference .

did they decided to do this after S-E announcement for some reasons like let them have this show and we will show out guns at another event .

Aladuf

Banned
Truespeed said:
Hey everyone, it's internationally unknown recording artist Duffy. Choo Choo. Let's get this MOFO press conference back on track.

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/la/glastonbury_day_two_6_290608/duffy_performing_1948561.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol

I fucking lol'd when I read that sentence.

Chris_C

Guled said:
Siren comes out next week, 15$ per pack or 40$ for everything (you save 5$)

All over this, the demo was pretty much where I want Silent Hill to be, only thing that irked me was the strange camera.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Which conference that was best, isnt that pretty much a matter of taste and personal opinions? Microsoft had the biggest shocking news about Final Fantasy 13 going to Xbox 360 as well though, atleast i think most people will agree on that :)

gantz85

Banned
test_account said:
Which conference that was best, isnt that pretty much a matter of taste and personal opinions? Microsoft had the biggest shocking news about Final Fantasy 13 going to Xbox 360 as well though :)

Well, I saw Yahoo and other sites' approval of the Sony conference and while I was sorely disappointed of Sony's show after the FFXIII reveal at Microsoft's conference, I could see what these sites were talking about though. Sony didn't have any of that lame ass crap in both M & N shows and alot of it was industry-focused, and they had the best presenter in Tretton. No Reggis cocky snarl and no dimwit Microsoft execes.

However as a gamer and admittedly part-time fanboy, I wanted a SONY REVENGE CONFERENCE where they struck back. It was not to be.

test_account

XP-39C²
gantz85 said:
Well, I saw Yahoo and other sites' approval of the Sony conference and while I was sorely disappointed of Sony's show after the FFXIII reveal at Microsoft's conference, I could see what these sites were talking about though. Sony didn't have any of that lame ass crap in both M & N shows and alot of it was industry-focused, and they had the best presenter in Tretton. No Reggis cocky snarl and no dimwit Microsoft execes.

However as a gamer and admittedly part-time fanboy, I wanted a SONY REVENGE CONFERENCE where they struck back. It was not to be.
Ye, i liked the Sony press conference as well :) Unfortunately i missed the Microsoft press conference since i thought E3 started at the 15th of July and not at the 14th of July :\ Nintendo's conference was ok i think, i watched the whole thing atleast :) Each conference had their own think i would say so its pretty much up to each person to think which conference that was best, atleast in my opinion :)

Ye, i also wish that Sony had some big shocking news to counter the announcement about Final Fantasy 13 going to Xbox 360 as well.

Speaking of announcements, i was suprised to see that Super Stardust is comming to PSP as well. Super Stardust HD is one of my favorite PS3 games so far so i'm looking forward to see Super Stardust on PSP as well :) I dont own a PSP yet though :\

Jim said:
After dwelling a bit on the conferences and announcements, I think Sony's conference was actually better than I initially thought. A little all over the place and somewhat unexciting in excecution, but it was definitely solid at the very least. Great PSN stuff coming. Video download store actually surprisingly good... and it has a text search.

There was stuff suspiciously missing, which I guess will make an appearance during other regional shows (JP, EU, etc). And probably behind closed door stuff for sure.

Fat Princess FTW.

were you at the e3?

did you manage to see heavy rain?

hc2

gantz85 said:

It's hard to attack when you are out of ammo. Come on, charts? Sony presented charts? I bet that really excited the fanbase. And their really big surprise at the end of their conference was..............

Jack seems to be winding up. "If this is what year 2 of the PlayStation 3 life cycle looks like, imagine what years 3 and 4 look like," he says. He thanks everyone and we're out. That's it.

So just like last year, the motto is "Wait until next year". Deja vu . Meanwhile thank goodness I have all the consoles, I would be really unhappy if I was depending on the PS3 to keep me occupied.

Concept17

hc2 said:
It's hard to attack when you are out of ammo. Come on, charts? Sony presented charts? I bet that really excited the fanbase. And their really big surprise at the end of their conference was..............

So just like last year, the motto is "Wait until next year". Deja vu . Meanwhile thank goodness I have all the consoles, I would be really unhappy if I was depending on the PS3 to keep me occupied.

Yeah, god for bid someone could ONLY have games like LBP, MS2, and R2 this fall. Wouldn't that be awful.

/sarcasm

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Concept17 said:
Yeah, god for bid someone could ONLY have games like LBP, MS2, and R2 this fall. Wouldn't that be awful.

/sarcasm
Seriously, some people are complete morons. :lol

Sony's got an awesome lineup this fall, and a great lineup next year. How anyone could not see that is beyond me.

jjasper

hc2 said:

Really? If you only had a PS3 and no other console you would still be able to play all of the major 3rd party games (Fallout, Mirror's Edge, Rock Band 2, etc) plus Sony's big titles (Little Big Planet, Motorstorm 2, SOCOM, Resistance 2). I think people could only own a PS3 and be perfectly happy with.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hc2 said:

Please go watch the conference. Some stats (again):

37 PS3 games shown
At least 25 of them were 2008 games.
24 of them are exclusives.
2 CG teasers.

This was more games than anyone else showed - 2008, 2009, exclusives, non-exclusives, whatever.

I'm not saying the others couldn't have showed more games if they wanted to (indeed, Sony could have too). But Sony chose the more games route versus Nintendo's highly selective conference and Microsoft's less-selective-but-more-selective-than-Sony conference.

Frillen said:

I thought Sony had the best Conference, because they showed mostly 1st party stuff, and not a bunch of multi-platform games.

We could easily get into list wars, but I'm sure you somehow think the announcement of a game going multiplatform = win, which almost certainly mean's you're on GAF for Console Wars (TM) and nothing else.

HolyStar

Banned
Frillen said:

That, and people here think that since Sony has sold 12.8 million PS3's and Microsoft 19 million 360s, that the PS3 is outselling the 360.

Rock Band 2

Timed exclusive for the 360

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
kbear said:
Dark Cloud doesn't exist. FF13 Versus is probably multi-platform and literally like 3 years away (development was put on hold or something). You're also assuming MS doesn't also have lots of unannounced games for 2009 and 2010... of course they do.

Anyway, I'll counter that list (and without the double spaces):

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts
Bungie's two unannounced titles
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Left 4 Dead
GTA4 DLC
Geometry Wars 2
Castle Crashers
Galaga
Braid

The lists are absolutely comparable in quality. I personally prefer the 360's.

what? this are comparble quality game?

:lol

indie85

Banned
People are making too big a deal of FF13 going multi, GTA4 did that a couple years back and ended up having literally zero impact. In terms of first party games (lets forget the Multiplat which MS love to show off), sony has depth in quality games coming in the next 12 months that blow MS showings away IMO. Sony won this E3 by a big margin.

indie85 said:
People are making too big a deal of FF13 going multi, GTA4 did that a couple years back and ended up having literally zero impact. In terms of first party games (lets forget the Multiplat which MS love to show off), sony has depth in quality games coming in the next 12 months that blow MS showings away IMO. Sony won this E3 by a big margin.

Multiplatform helps the publisher/developer, exclusives help build a hardware platform. Look at the NPD for June. The increase of PS3 sales from the previous month is more or less a result of MGS4. While it might not have the same effect next month it has helped to move 200k NA PS3 units. After the first month it has a trickle down effect by being apart of the PS3's exclusives library. Exclusives are important.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Dizzan said:
I live in Australia but have a US account and I can't find the videostore anywhere?

I went on there just before, theres the link for that anime show, i clicked on that and it came up and gave me the option to rent it........ didnt look for the other link though, might look after the footy.

spwolf

gofreak said:
Please go watch the conference. Some stats (again):

37 PS3 games shown
At least 25 of them were 2008 games.
24 of them are exclusives.
2 CG teasers.

This was more games than anyone else showed - 2008, 2009, exclusives, non-exclusives, whatever.

I'm not saying the others couldn't have showed more games if they wanted to (indeed, Sony could have too). But Sony chose the more games route versus Nintendo's highly selective conference and Microsoft's less-selective-but-more-selective-than-Sony conference.

only 24 exclusives? Fuck you Sony!

ehm.

Top Bottom