• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cross-play documents with Epic/Dev's

NickFire

So... still defending Sony for this shit?

The moment Microsoft or Nintendo pull a shit like that with their current consoles, will be the moment I vote against them with my wallet. I did that with my xb360 (didn't buy one until very late in the party).

Seems people here forget that first and foremost we are consumers and no matter how many good games a company can release, we can't support these kind of crap.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

What crap are you even talking about? Literally, anyone who wants to play crossplay Fortnite on PS4 or 5 can do so. So what if Sony gets paid for other companies using its property? That is business, and it costs the consumer nothing, Epic makes $ from it, and Xbox / Switch players still get larger pools of competition.

Three

So what. That's a one way street.

Now what if tons of PS gamers on a cross play profile buy tons of mtx on PS and then play on a smartphone or MS or Nintendo. That can happen too.

So why don't other platform makers care? As Tim Sweeney said, only Sony charges for cross play.
Because crossplay benefits them seeing as they do not have the players there but are able to get the cut of people playing on Playstation but buying on their store. A person is more likely to buy on their phone and play on a Playstation than just go shopping on their Playstation 4 but play on their phone. If some other platform had the most players and 50% of the entire Fortnite market they would do the same. Maybe even worse by completely blocking it. They others don't like vendor lock in because they don't have a majority.
I guess now we know why Path of Exile has no crossplay. Shame since both ps4 and xbox communities suffer from low playerbases. Seeing how PC is by far the most popular, Sony would probably want the devs to pay premium.
So why can't Xbox and PC crossplay either? There is no crossplay between any of the platforms on that game so this isn't the reason.

ethomaz

Banned
I guess now we know why Path of Exile has no crossplay. Shame since both ps4 and xbox communities suffer from low playerbases. Seeing how PC is by far the most popular, Sony would probably want the devs to pay premium.
Yeap Sony is so Evil that is preventing even Crossplay between others platforms not just with PlayStation lol

Last edited:

NickFire

Sony should've been sued for using that #4theplayers slogan, for real, there hasn't been a single thing during entire PS4 generation that served the gamers instead of those arrogant greedy fucks.
A long list of first party titles that the players loved don't count I guess. :messenger_anxious:

Yeap Sony is so Evil that is preventing even Crossplay between others platforms not just with PlayStation lol
So why can't Xbox and PC crossplay either? There is no crossplay between any of the platforms on that game so this isn't the reason.
PC/console crossplay is not possible in Path of Exile for reasons I don't want to go into right now. The devs have stated its up to Sony but I guess they didn't make any progress since then.

They are ALL fucking greedy and fucking evil. Just keep them in check with your wallet.
Amazing how this has to keep being stated. Page 12 into this thread on a lawsuit between two billion dollar game companies and there are still people learning that these companies are greedy and not in the business of charity.

Last edited:

Three

PC/console crossplay is not possible in Path of Exile for reasons I don't want to go into right now. The devs have stated its up to Sony but I guess they didn't make any progress since then.
What reason would that be though? Sony have no control over crossplay on xbox. There is no crossplay on xbox. What have they said?
Sweet, can't wait to play Siege, GTAV, Destiny 2, Overcooked, RDR2, with all my friends on Playstation and Xbone. O...wait....
A game not having crossplay isn't the same issue as Sony charging if revenue split is different to player share. Unless you are saying that's why there isn't crossplay for those games which I highly doubt. If rocket league can do it I don't see wht GTA5 can't.

Was it to secure games they would have gotten anyway? Was it to get said games on gamepass? Nothing preventing that from happening anyway.

The only evidence pointing at what their actual intent was is the actual end result: those franchises are never coming out on playstation again.

Cut the crap.

Copying from a post I made in another thread

1. They were looking to sell, and another company buying them might not be good for Microsoft
2. They add significant value to Xbox
3. They add significant value to Game Pass
4. It helps their current studios by being able to collaborate with Bethesda
5. It helps Bethesda games benefit from collaboration with Xbox's other game studios
6. It includes some super popular IP like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, and Wolfenstein
7. They now own Bethesda's tech like their very popular id tech engine

Whether you agree with all of these points or not, they are all reasons why it would make sense for Microsoft to buy Bethesda. And they secured more games than they would've gotten normally, considering with the way Bethesda was going it's quite possible less commercially successful studios like Arkane or Tango might have been closed or restructured in the future. Not to mention greater financial stability and flexibility allows the games to be made closer to the developers' vision, and with more polish. Also considering Google and Amazon still exist (at least at the time before the acquisition they were both investing in gaming) it wasn't out of the question for one of them to buy Bethesda and for Xbox to get none of their games going forward

That being said, if you think Microsoft decided to spend 7.5 billion dollars just to be petty and stick it to Playstation gamers then you are too far gone in the console wars and I can't help you. Xbox gamers are getting a better experience than they were before that purchase, and it has nothing to do with the games being exclusive. Acquisitions help developers make better games, timed exclusives don't. If Bethesda was fully healthy and could stay independent forever without shutting down any of their studios I would've preferred they stay independent, but it doesn't seem like that would've been the case, so an acquisition by a company that is investing in gaming is a good thing, and I would've thought the same thing is Sony was the one who bought Bethesda

What reason would that be though? Sony have no control over crossplay on xbox. There is no crossplay on xbox. What have they said?

A game not having crossplay isn't the same issue as Sony charging if revenue split is different to player share. Unless you are saying that's why there isn't crossplay for those games which I highly doubt. If rocket league can do it I don't see wht GTA5 can't.
Gearbox also said they won't have crossplay for consoles/PC of Borderlands 3 until Sony loosens up their shit, Sony being the wrench in the works. Not sure as to why. Would be a big boon for MSFT if more devs. chose to embrace even PC/Xbone crossplay alone, but I'd bet if they are gonna put the effort, like most devs/pubs, they want to maximize their profit and if the biggest kid on the block doesn't want to share it's toys it probably isn't worth it to them. Which sucks for pretty much everyone, except the Sony Pony's that just hate having more options and a bigger player pool to choose from on their favorite piece of silicon.

Three

Gearbox also said they won't have crossplay for consoles/PC of Borderlands 3 until Sony loosens up their shit, Sony being the wrench in the works. Not sure as to why. Would be a big boon for MSFT if more devs. chose to embrace even PC/Xbone crossplay alone, but I'd bet if they are gonna put the effort, like most devs/pubs, they want to maximize their profit and if the biggest kid on the block doesn't want to share it's toys it probably isn't worth it to them. Which sucks for pretty much everyone, except the Sony Pony's that just hate having more options and a bigger player pool to choose from on their favorite piece of silicon.
This isn't true though. Can you show me where they have said this? Since the game will have crossplay

Nothing stops them from implementing crossplay between other systems so this has nothing to do with it.

This isn't true though. Can you show me where they have said this? Since the game will have crossplay

Nothing stops them from implementing crossplay between other systems so this has nothing to do with it.
It IS true. The game doesn't have crossplay. They said it last year when the game came out. It's great if it's coming eventually, but it's what they said last year as to why it wasn't in. No need to be so defensive. I want EVERY game regardless of platform to have crossplay. Well, everything that isn't an outright exclusive. Exclusive's don't bug me in that they want to goad people onto the platform, I get annoyed when it's multiplat games artificially being held back from crossplay from stupid shit like what Sony has SHOWN to have done and that this document confirms has done in the past.

And I wouldn't shocked one bit that Sony would have some stupid secret clause with a dev/publisher that say's you can't sell this game on PS if it doesn't match or exceed the other platforms software capabilities, so if it's crossplay on PC/XBone, they won't sell the software, I can't think of an example other than Fortnite/Rocket league/COD? that support crossplay and this document kind of shows why that is. Pubs don't want to pay extra just to have the feature, which is why we are seeing more crossplay games on PC/xbone as opposed to all platforms being able to play with each other. It's an ARTIFICIAL limitation and it's stupid.

Last edited:

Three

It IS true. The game doesn't have crossplay. They said it last year when the game came out. It's great if it's coming eventually, but it's what they said last year as to why it wasn't in. No need to be so defensive. I want EVERY game regardless of platform to have crossplay. Well, everything that isn't an outright exclusive. Exclusive's don't bug me in that they want to goad people onto the platform, I get annoyed when it's multiplat games artificially being held back from crossplay from stupid shit like what Sony has SHOWN to have done and that this document confirms has done in the past.
I'm not being defensive. I'm asking you to provide some information as to how they are blocking crossplay on xbox and PC. If you can provide some information as to what was actually said then maybe it will shed some light on it. At the moment though all I'm seeing is that crossplay is allowed and is coming in the next update.

I'm not being defensive. I'm asking you to provide some information as to how they are blocking crossplay on xbox and PC. If you can provide some information as to what was actually said then maybe it will shed some light on it. At the moment though all I'm seeing is that crossplay is allowed and is coming in the next update.
It's what Gearbox said in the past, it's what EPIC is saying now. I couldn't tell you the exact reasons, other than the very logical evidence that was leaked as to paying a premium for the feature. Other than that I can only assume that devs/publishers don't want to spend the effort for crossplay alone if they can't maximize profit from having support across all platforms. I don't agree with it, if Sony doesn't want to let people play, fine, fuck em', but I also wouldn't be surprised that Sony would have a parity clause in effect that would prevent crossplay between only PC/Xbone and keep PS4 in it's own walled garden when it comes to multiplatform games. Occam's razor and all that.

Last edited:

Tutomos

Playstation generated $2.3bn with just add-on content while the entire Xbox's generated about $3.5bn last quarter.

The fact is devs are making a lot more money on Playstation than Xbox with add-on content. Sony can make rules if devs want to do business with them because after all Sony invested money to make the platform so successful for microtransactions.

Microsoft is doing a bad job making devs money, so they wanted to be nice and not have rules which is fine, but don't act like they are doing this for the gamers.

Last edited:

NickFire

It's what Gearbox said in the past, it's what EPIC is saying now. I couldn't tell you the exact reasons, other than the very logical evidence that was leaked as to paying a premium for the feature. Other than that I can only assume that devs/publishers don't want to spend the effort for crossplay alone if they can't maximize profit from having support across all platforms. I don't agree with it, if Sony doesn't want to let people play, fine, fuck em', but I also wouldn't be surprised that Sony would have a parity clause in effect that would prevent crossplay between only PC/Xbone and keep PS4 in it's own walled garden when it comes to multiplatform games. Occam's razor and all that.
Crossplay in Fortnite rolled out until it reached its current form. You could not originally play PS4 with other consoles. So its definitely possible to do Xbox and PC only. And to the extent Sony might require parity or money for it, that kind of just reinforces how ridiculous it is to bash Sony for capitalizing on its own success. No one is forced to release on PS or pay the fee. They just really want access to what Sony has, and Sony is doing what any company in Sony's position would do. No matter how much people want to believe, there was nothing altruistic about Epic or MS pushing for it first. Each company pushed for it as part of a business strategy.

Last edited:
Crossplay in Fortnite rolled out until it reached its current form. You could not originally play PS4 with other consoles. So its definitely possible to do Xbox and PC only. And to the extent Sony might require parity or money for it, that kind of just reinforces how ridiculous it is to bash Sony for capitalizing on its own success. No one is forced to release on PS or pay the fee. They just really want access to what Sony has, and Sony is doing what any company in Sony's position would do. No matter how much people want to believe, there was nothing altruistic about Epic or MS pushing for it first. Each company pushed for it as part of a business strategy.
Defend it all you want. I'd be saying the same shit if it was MSFT doing the blocking. It's anti-consumer. How can you justify it? I have a Playstation, but it's exclusively relegated for Sony exclusives, that's all I buy for it, haven't purchased a multi-plat game for this exact reason. I'm in a small majority of people that play PC primarily, but I'll buy the occasional multiplat game on Switch or Xbone if I know I can play with the other console or PC.

Last edited:

sainraja

Step out of your box for a little bit. Take a deep breather. You'll be fine and this is not a VS thing. Just because people are saying the opposite of you does not mean they are 'Sony Ponies' (what we are in grade school or something?). Stop with the childish name calling and try to address the points that are being made. It's a business move plain and simple. Sony has the leverage right now and when Microsoft had it, they did the same exact thing. Wish it wasn't so but it is.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Unsurprisingly, gaming media pretending this didn't happen, GarbageEra on damage control changing thread titles/mass banning and an army of shills defending this.

That's why Sony keeps getting away with its bullshit.

Come in here for the lols... not dissapointed.

So many people here running around in circles to justify why their love for sony is justified .. and yet all they prove is love is blind.
Still doing the most I see. Crossplay is allowed on Playstation and has been for years. Nothing changed at all for the end user since this document leaked.

Keep playing the victims tho lol

Step out of your box for a little bit. Take a deep breather. You'll be fine and this is not a VS thing. Just because people are saying the opposite of you does not mean they are 'Sony Ponies' (what we are in grade school or something?). Stop with the childish name calling and try to address the points that are being made. It's a business move plain and simple. Sony has the leverage right now and when Microsoft had it, they did the same exact thing. Wish it wasn't so but it is.
Lol. Name calling? I've addressed points, people still turn into CORPORATE DEFENDER, even against their best interests. It makes no sense. Business strategy or not, it makes ME the player, have less people to play with. It's very very simple to understand. On top of me not buying any multiplat games on the system. There's no reasonable defense for the average consumer other than someone being a die-hard Sony fan. There's none. It's anti-consumer.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Unsurprisingly, gaming media pretending this didn't happen, GarbageEra on damage control changing thread titles/mass banning and an army of shills defending this.

You heard it here first. Sony is successful because the mods on ResetEra are censuring anti Sony threads. You're a tool my friend.

sainraja

Lol. Name calling? I've addressed points, people still turn into CORPORATE DEFENDER, even against their best interests. It makes no sense. Business strategy or not, it makes ME the player, have less people to play with. It's very very simple to understand. On top of me not buying any multiplat games on the system. There's no reasonable defense for the average consumer other than someone being a die-hard Sony fan. There's none. It's anti-consumer.
Ah, post edit. I was getting a little confused here.

You've addressed points, yes. But anyone who brings a counter point, you immediately start labeling them. So that tells me, you're not really able to have a meaningful conversation with anyone. As you've already shown with how you responded to me....ha ha. haha.

Ah, post edit. I was getting a little confused here.

You've addressed points, yes. But anyone who brings a counter point, you immediately start labeling them. So that tells me, you're not really able to have a meaningful conversation with anyone. As you've already shown with how you responded to me....ha ha. haha.
Dude...I'm not sure what you are expecting. All counterpoints are, "it's business." or variations of "I don't want to share my toys" I mean....Ok. It's fundamental disagreements. They aren't good counter points to how it's not anti-consumer. None have been.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There is no way Sony is blocking they do integration with others platforms.
Suck bullshit excuse.

Last edited:

Three

A convoluted theory isn't occams razor until there is some evidence. Occams razor would be simply that they haven't implemented it yet because it requires work and if the population is healthy there is little ROI for doing so?

Why don't you provide what they actually said? As for paying a premium what premium would they be paying for having xbox vs PC crossplay other than dev cost to implement it what would they lose considering integration is different for each platform anyway? There had been games in the past with PC/xbox crossplay. Are they now paying the premium in the new update? How come they can maximise profit now?

The point is that the games you talk about have crossplay. Fortnite has it and Borderlands 3 will get an update. Your ideas about GTA5 and Rainbow Six not having it becuase of Sony is just conjecture. When the biggest and smallest game with huge player base split on PS4 (Rocket League free on PS+) have it what stops one of the biggest most profitable games ever like GTA5?
This is what you need to explain. My assumption is that there is little reason to invest in an update when the playerbase is healthy on each platform. Cross platform play is something the publisher needs to decide to do for its users.
Your idea is evil Sony stopping cross platform play on platforms that aren't even theirs. I'm just not willing to believe the later until you provide some evidence of this.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Business strategy or not, it makes ME the player, have less people to play with. It's very very simple to understand. On top of me not buying any multiplat games on the system. There's no reasonable defense for the average consumer other than someone being a die-hard Sony fan. There's none. It's anti-consumer.
What games didn't get crossplay because of this document? I'm still waiting for game titles since yesterday. All the ones I'm playing are crossplay. I want to be angry too.

ethomaz

Banned
They are only using Evil Sony as excuse.
They don’t want to work on crossplay.

Plus looks like it is not worthy if Sony is not involved because you know the userbase is there.

That is why Epic need to make a deal to use PlayStation userbase.

Last edited:

DJTaurus

85756-C40-CDF2-49-B1-AF9-E-E30-DF5-D10-EFA.png

sainraja

Dude...I'm not sure what you are expecting. All counterpoints are, "it's business." or variations of "I don't want to share my toys" I mean....Ok. It's fundamental disagreements. They aren't good counter points to how it's not anti-consumer. None have been.
I don't think anyone here is saying that it isn't anti-consumer or even that it is a pro-consumer move. It simply is a business move; the reason it is being repeated. Sony has a bigger userbase and therefore more to lose. When that was Microsoft, they did the same (even across PC.) Sony has always allowed cross play with PC for what it is worth and as far as I know.

Last edited:

reksveks

Can you buy FUT packs on mobile?

I would be interested to see if this was taken to EA as well ( please ignore the fact that you hate FUT, I have no love for it and only used to play normal season mode)

Thirty7ven

Banned

Keep trying and maybe one day you and the rest of the minions will manage to convince sane people that Sony is evil. Never relent, never stop. Cant stop.

Now get

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Still doing the most I see. Crossplay is allowed on Playstation and has been for years. Nothing changed at all for the end user since this document leaked.

Keep playing the victims tho lol
Lol crossplay was eventually enabled when their own customers taunted sony endlessly for not being for the players. Now we see sony is charging a tax on sales on other platforms, which apple does not .. so epic has given themself an epic self own lol.

as i said i come here for the lolz .. and u do deliver

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Sony exec was a 100% right. What's in it for them? MS and Nintendo with their shitty userbases get to benefit from crossplay the most. MS was actually charging XBL Gold to play F2P games like Fortnite until just last week. So they were making money off F2P games in ways Sony wasn't while Sony was sharing their userbase with them. Userbase they spent billions to cultivate.

Epic countered with a bunch of perks to sweeten the deal which makes sense. This is just business. Xbox has a very engaged userbase who play a lot games, and invest a lot of money into their eco system. I highly doubt a F2P game like Fortnite needed the PS userbase on xbox. But Nintendo? They needed the PS users to keep those servers filling up every few seconds. Shouldn't Sony get a cut of the profits from switch for making sure they have enough players to actually play this game without waiting in the lobby for 10-15 minute after every death?

I really dont see this as evil Sony. It's actually the one thing I agree with jimbo on. It's insane to think that a platform holder would spend and lose billions on building an eco system only to give free access to that userbase.
c2afe0dfff01bf12c4ec5ae3b78fefe8.gif

It only helps the platforms that barely have any players on to have more saturated servers/MP modes with crossplay. PS doesn't have that problem, but other platforms usually have this major issue and you end up waiting for ages for matchmaking. So crossplay helps others, not PS fanbase.
This.

I play Division 2 religiously but fuck me is it dead on Xbox. Matchmaking takes ages to find anyone to run through a raid or some bounties. Same issue with Outriders in the first few weeks it was out.

On PS4 I never had matchmaking issues. There's still a decent amount playing and I'm able to find a match fairly quickly.

Which is why my PS4 Pro is getting repaired this week. I can't fucking handle it anymore on Xbox. I'll enjoy future 1st party exclusives on GamePass but I miss the games on that noisy bastard of a console from Sony but very happy to be able to enjoy both Xbox and PS.

Lol crossplay was eventually enabled when their own customers taunted sony endlessly for not being for the players. Now we see sony is charging a tax on sales on other platforms, which apple does not .. so epic has given themself an epic self own lol.

You're on a warning for a perm ban. Don't you think its smarter to tone it down in your posts instead of going full blown console warrior?

Last edited:
It only helps the platforms that barely have any players on to have more saturated servers/MP modes with crossplay. PS doesn't have that problem, but other platforms usually have this major issue and you end up waiting for ages for matchmaking. So crossplay helps others, not PS fanbase.
This.

I play Division 2 religiously but fuck me is it dead on Xbox. Matchmaking takes ages to find anyone to run through a raid or some bounties. Same issue with Outriders in the first few weeks it was out.

On PS4 I never had matchmaking issues. There's still a decent amount playing and I'm able to find a match fairly quickly.

Which is why my PS4 Pro is getting repaired this week. I can't fucking handle it anymore on Xbox. I'll enjoy future 1st party exclusives on GamePass but I miss the games on that noisy bastard of a console from Sony but very happy to be able to enjoy both Xbox and PS.

You're on a warning for a perm ban. Don't you think its smarter to tone it down in your posts instead of going full blown console warrior?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This.

This explains why xbox zealots are hurt and dying for crossplay. Thanks for the confirmation, mate. I can smell all the BS now.

Smelling United GIF

This explains why xbox zealots are hurt and dying for crossplay. Thanks for the confirmation, mate. I can smell all the BS now.

Smelling United GIF
I turned to Discord to get active Division 2 communities or players and even there its dead. I was told to use the 'Looking for' function in Xbox menu which i must admit is a brilliant fucking idea from Xbox. Can search up anyone looking to do same activities in the same game and would you believe it, even that's dead.

Yes it just may be that Division 2 is a dead game but then like I said before, on PS4 I never had such issues. Either way I invested in an Xbox headset which is on its way and I'll still continue playing on Series S. Cracking little console.

ethomaz

Banned
I turned to Discord to get active Division 2 communities or players and even there its dead. I was told to use the 'Looking for' function in Xbox menu which i must admit is a brilliant fucking idea from Xbox. Can search up anyone looking to do same activities in the same game and would you believe it, even that's dead.

Yes it just may be that Division 2 is a dead game but then like I said before, on PS4 I never had such issues. Either way I invested in an Xbox headset which is on its way and I'll still continue playing on Series S. Cracking little console.
To be fair the Xbox consoles this gen are trending in the same lower userbase as last gen consoles with the exception of the game is on Gamepass.

You can’t fix player pool without actual userbase and that is why hardware unit sales are so important for the overall health of a platform. Variety of the userbase is important too... you can’t have only one type of game... you need to cater every genres and types.

But that is a talk for another thread.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I think with so many paywalls against MP you end up with people going with GamePass alone "no multiplayer" unlike PS Now. GamePass Ultimate should be cancelled and stop introducing elusive paywalls for MP.

This.

I don't know what timezone you're on but after reading your post I looked at the L4G for Division 2 on Xbox and there were at least 10 posts in the past hour asking for people for raids which doesn't even include ones that got filled up, and it's not anywhere near peak hours in the US on a random Tuesday night. Maybe you and I have different definitions of a game being "dead", but considering it's a 2 year old game that was never massively popular I would consider that to be a fairly active community still.

Smelling United GIF

Even if what they said was true, I have yet to experience low matchmaking in any game on Xbox that wasn't like 5 years old where even Playstation wouldn't have good numbers, nor have I ever heard anybody but that one user above mention low userbases in any games, so this notion that people are desperate for crossplay so they can play with people is generally misguided. People want crossplay to play with their friends, or for super old games to still be playable when they're dead on EVERY platform individually. Honestly the only reason to defend Sony's position on crossplay is blind brand loyalty, like in what way does crossplay hurt you? But I guess given your profile picture is a Sony logo it's very obvious that you choose your opinions on each argument based on what Sony would do, and not whether you actually believe in what you're saying

I'm not much of a multiplayer guy but whenever I did want to play something online I had no problem finding enough people for any game on PSN before cross play was even a thing, I really don't see the benefit here.

Yeah.... That shit has been debunked several times now. You guys need to collaborate and come up with a new excuse.

Top Bottom