• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Marvel are having a falling out. No marvel studios involvement in future films.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Marvel Studios will not produce any future Spider-Man films due to a standoff between The Walt Disney Company and Sony Pictures.

According to Deadline, the decision stems from "an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward." As for the next two currently planned Spider-Man films, both Homecoming and Far From Home director Jon Watts, as well as actor Tom Holland, are expected to return. However, Marvel's involvement in the project is doubtful, as Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has been "essentially nixed" by Sony.

How dumb/narcissistic are these people. Sony’s biggest movie ever, why punch a gift horse in the mouth.

Jackasses.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I believe they can sort this out

Or not.

Spider man to do a poochy

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sadly, I had some idea they would do this. A taste of success for their ailing franchise, then an ego trip and a delusion that they could do it on their own.

That is, if there's no behind-the-scenes drama with negotiations.

But it's probably the former. Your average corp really is that stupid.

This really hurts the fans, and I can't imagine people coming back for the first disconnected-from-Marvel entry, if word of this spreads like I think it will.

Talk about killing the golden goose in greed.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Friendship ended with Sony, now 21st Century Fox is my best friend.
Saw this coming, but I hope this doesn't interfere with the great setup at the end of Far From Home. Man, I get tired of superhero films easy, but Far From Home was one of the MCU's best.

Da-Kid

After the unearned success of Venom and Into the Spider-Verse Sony doesn't want Spider-Man in the MCU, they want to do their own thing.

I knew this was going to happen. I imagine it's Sony just flat out saying no to Disney. Disney's deal was basically a gold mine. Marvel (Disney) made the movie and Sony got all the proceeds of the movie while Disney gets the merchandising revenue. That's a fair deal. But nope. I knew the success of the Sony produced movies would do this.

I am not seeing a Sony produced live action Spider-Man movie again. Just like how I didn't watch Venom.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
This was inevitable with only a partnership.

The two MCU films were good. Venom did well and Into the Spiderverse was legit great. The Spiderman PS4 game was huge. Sony doesn't need the MCU anymore.
Well, there may not be another spidey playstation game now. Sony have the license, which at the very least is limited and won't be renewed.

Da-Kid

Disney should just buy back the rights. Offer Sony a Smooth 2 billion that won't even put a scratch on their bank account.

Shouta

It makes sense for Sony. They're having success with the series again and making money. Disney footing half the bill also means Sony gets less for it. Disney is already making buckets of money right now and Sony wants some for all the effort they spent on the series over the years.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
According to the Deadline article that CBR is sourcing for this news, this all started because Disney was asking for more of a cut.

Disney allegedly proposed that they now wanted a 50% cut of move tickets sold while also keeping 100% of all merchandise sales. Sony, after receiving that proposal, apparently never came back to negotiate (dumb).

You can kind of understand why Sony would balk at the 50% cut. They can conceivably make a movie that grosses well and would make more money than if they had cofinanced this with Disney. They still have the director (Watts) and actor (Holland). Now of course Sony is prone to fuck up with the accidental unwarranted success, so who knows if they will pull through in making a good live action Spider-Man movie without Disney's help.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Let's say that the target for the third Holland Spider-Man movie was to at least make as much as Far From Home's current total gross (A ridiculously high figure alone, and one that you can't say would definitely be repeated). Sony would need to make a movie that at least makes $600 million for them going solo to work out better than agreeing to the 50% cut. That's a lot of money for something not promoted by The Big Mouse.

Last edited:

i21K1g4.jpg

KOMANI

KOMANI
Sony future-proofed their investment by introducing Miles in Verse. If they had to relaunch the franchise (for the third time), they have options.

bitbydeath

Why’s everyone blaming Sony when it was Disney who got greedy?

It seems Disney asked for all future Spider-Manprojects to be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between Marvel and Sony but the latter declined. Instead, Sony proposed leaving the current deal untouched, meaning Marvel would continue to receive approximately 5% of first-dollar gross while maintaining merchandising rights, which Disney refused.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
From a financial point of view, stupid fucking Sony.
But from a fans point of view it might be interesting to see a non Disney take on Spider-Man again.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Why’s everyone blaming Sony when it was Disney who got greedy?

I look at it like this. Marvel grew them a money making tree. One that made them a billion dollars already. Their previous attempts didn’t even come close. Marvel asked them to follow a plan to keep it growing and making money and but to also share in the bounty. They offered a surefire irrigation and fertilization system to keep it making billions every year. Sony instead decided to take a shit on it to fertilize it and and are now praying for rain.

GV82

I knew this would happen after venom b.o success & spiderverse won an oscar, i mean we still also got 2 decent Rami Movies, number 2 with Doc Ock being my fave still.

The Sony Spider-Man game is good too don’t forget that.

Disney will just have to either move on from Spidey for now or buy Sony, smart move after seeing what happened to fox

Marvel must be so pissed with this. Their most famous character in the hands of these dumb Sony executives. Fuck them.
Who is dumber? The guys who sold the rights to their most popular character by a mile? Or the guys who want to maintain their leverage?
And we JUST got JK Simmons back as Jonah Jameson
He can still show up in the next one. All this means is that the movies won't have the crappy Iron Man/Iron Spider throughline anymore, which Spider-Man NEVER needed.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I look at it like this. Marvel grew them a money making tree. One that made them a billion dollars already. Their previous attempts didn’t even come close. Marvel asked them to follow a plan to keep it growing and making money and but to also share in the bounty. They offered a surefire irrigation and fertilization system to keep it making billions every year. Sony instead decided to take a shit on it to fertilize it and and are now praying for rain.

Disney wanted half though. That is taking it way too far. It was a smart business move on Sonys part.

Xiaoki

Far From Home made a billion because of the bump from Endgame.

Into the Spider-verse was great but didn't really make bank.

Venom was terrible but did well, will lightning strike twice?

Without Feige overseeing the Tom Holland movies will we get another Far From Home or another Amazing Spider-man 2? Oh, who are we kidding, after hearing about the direction the Garfield series was going it's going to be a train wreck.

Sony Pictures is too stupid to not screw it up.

bitbydeath

Kind of hard for me to blame Disney. They were getting 5 percent? That seems insanely low. Going straigh to asking for 50 might have been a little too large a leap. Perhaps a 30/70 split or something like that moving forward is more agreeable.

Disney deserves more than 5 percent, IMO. Homecoming and Far From Home aren't what they are without the MCU.

Agreed. 25/75 probably better.
50 is insane.
If they wanted 50/50 then Disney should also split the merch.

MB1

Banned
I think from Sony's perspective even with the shitty Garfield movies, the gross worldwide was over $700 million and in that case they're getting all of the profits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom