• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

Into

About that iGN review , i had the same feelings about the controls... In the first hours of the game, then i get used to it and i had lot of fun.

When he describes the snowball part, i had the same issue.. Til i figure out how it was meant to play.

The game is quite hard and there's almost no handholding..
... Just like The Wonderful 101....
IGN is for babieeesss

Exactly. Look at their Wonderful 101 review and then tell me with a straight face that they are capable of understanding and evaluating any videogame that isn't the usual AAA trash.

Now people will have to lay off IGN and "question" the other publications/sites.

Maybe the game is just not very good guys? We kinda do this in every review thread

We all want a great game, but...you cannot force it. Either is or is not

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The EDGE reviews are usually great, but this one reads like the game was almost (is this possible?) too hard for him.

lol

Yes, I'm sure it was 'too hard' for the reviewer. Or maybe it's just a shit game, like all recent Sonic titles except Colors.

Zen

Banned
I don't get why they aren't designing levels to be shorter. Hearing that a level will frequently go to the 16min mark is just too much.

Zalman

How did this happen? All the hands-on impressions I've read from IGN have been positive. Sad to see the score ending up that low. I'll give this game a shot myself regardless.

Polari

Quite a spread so far. EDGE and Eurogamer generally know what's up though and Sega have let me down enough that I'll give this one a miss.

Bricky

I don't even play Sonic games, and I'm not saying this game is good, but this review is just horrible. It's 90% "It isn't as fast as/it is different from previous Sonic games and that is a bad thing". Guess what Mr. IGN reviewer, I really liked Super Mario Galaxy, especially its style of controls, and at first glance this doesn't seem like a bad clone, maybe you could give some good arguments as to why this game isn't that much fun instead of basically saying "This is not a true Sonic game thus I hate it, and the Ice-level is crap, nice graphics though; 5.8".

A review should first and foremost rate a game on its own merits, comparing it to other games in a franchise should never be the main focus (unless it's a re-release or remake, but that should be obvious).

The cycle continues

But this most certainly holds up for the other reviews here.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't particularly care if the game actually sucks, but briefly reading the review he sounds like a Sonic diehard complaining about the game playing differently from previous installments rather than actually judging the game on its merits. There's actually little to no substance to any of his initial complaints other than it not being like how it used to be. It's actually pretty horribly written.

That said its a Sonic game so it probably does suck.

It doesn't suck, but I, as a Sonic die-hard, could have written a similar review regarding the mechanics. The controls are different and difficult to learn and the game is too slow for my liking. However, the level design is great, I can't see how you could call it bad and I don't think it's fair to judge the game on what you want from a Sonic game, you should judge it on what it is. And as such it's a great game imo, although I, personally, would prefer extreme high speed.

AniHawk

from the eurogamer review, they discuss how hard it is for sonic to sometimes connect with the target. i remember this happening sometimes in generations or colors, but it sounds like it's sonic adventure/adventure 2 levels of bad. it's also the second time the snow level's been called out explicitly from what i've seen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So now we know why there is no demo outside of the JPN.
That Famitsu review score. They should be ashamed.

Draconian

How did this happen? All the hands-on impressions I've read from IGN have been positive. Sad to see the score ending up that low. I'll give this game a shot myself regardless.

Because this is what IGN and the gaming press in general does. There's no negativity in previews whether it's because they were playing it in a controlled environment or they gave leeway because the game wasn't done yet. Then, after they hype people up about a game, their review comes out and says "lol it's trash guys" and they've effectively pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Thoraxes

lol

Yes, I'm sure it was 'too hard' for the reviewer. Or maybe it's just a shit game, like all recent Sonic titles except Colors.

You're entitled to your opinion on how you viewed that person's review, but i'm going to make mine after I play it.

Wow seems like this Sonic game is just really not good. Maybe I could judge it by myself if Sega released a DEMO. I'm gonna have to skip.

Nibel

Because this is what IGN and the gaming press in general does. There's no negativity in previews whether it's because they were playing it in a controlled environment or they gave leeway because the game wasn't done yet. Then, after they hype people up about a game, their review comes out and says "lol it's trash guys" and they've effectively pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

To be fair the whole gaming press called out Thief for being bad so far; I think it depends on the game and publisher

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
About that iGN review , i had the same feelings about the controls... In the first hours of the game, then i get used to it and i had lot of fun.

When he describes the snowball part, i had the same issue.. Til i figure out how it was meant to play.

The game is quite hard and there's almost no handholding..
... Just like The Wonderful 101....
IGN is for babieeesss

There is actually a lot of truth to that, as the game is quite difficult to learn. The first impression on the game is way weaker than your impression when you have played it for a while. Strictly speaking Wii U version btw, the 3DS version is a mess.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really dont get why everything was so positive until now.

What do outlets have to gain from negative previews? If they are positive all the way to release then they keep traffic flowing as people are excited for the game and publishers have lots of marketing deals with the big sites, when the final review rolls around they can afford to be genuinely honest as negative reviews generate lots of traffic too.

You're entitled to your opinion on how you viewed that person's review, but i'm going to make mine after I play it.

That's cool, it's your money. Personally I don't have the cash to be spending $60 on games that are racking up 4/10s everywhere.

Now people will have to lay off IGN and "question" the other publications/sites.

Maybe the game is just not very good guys? We kinda do this in every review thread

We all want a great game, but...you cannot force it. Either is or is not
Yeah, nah. I've been playing this for about 6 hours now, which I'm guessing is more than IGN have, based on their track record. It is hard to control and slow at first, but when you get used to it it's pretty fun. But hey, who has the time to get to grips with a game and understand it's mechanics? It's not like they're getting paid to do that or anything.

RobbieNick

The cycle continues

No, no, no. There's been two very good Sonic games and this one that's got mixed to low score reviews due to the complex controls. If the next Sonic game is gets low scores too, THEN the cycle returns. That's how a cycle works.

JordanKZ

I played the first two worlds last night. I seriously do not understand these review scores, but I'm going to hold off on my judgement until I finish the game.

However, as for right now... I really don't understand the complaints about controls. Sonic is now capable of stopping on a dime and darting in a different direction at your will. I never, ever feel like I'm not in control of him. Which I can't even say about Generations.

I would say that the new moves such as wall running literally, spin dashing to get to progress up steep curves and how to use bounce effectively aren't explained. I believe i've had 2 tutorials (that you can completely bypass). One about "YOU CAN PRESS A TO JUMP!" and the other being "btw, R makes you go faster".

Prepare to have to learn how to do certain moves or pass obstacles without any explanation from the game.

Kouriozan

Wii U for hardcore gamers confirmed?
Every games are too hard!

I'm surprised this game was so hyped with a lot of positive impressions, and then BAM.

Into

Yeah, nah. I've been playing this for about 6 hours now, which I'm guessing is more than IGN have, based on their track record. It is hard to control and slow at first, but when you get used to it it's pretty fun. But hey, who has the time to get to grips with a game and understand it's mechanics? It's not like they're getting paid to do that or anything.

And all the outlets did not play it as much as you and did not understand the mechanics either? The ones that did play the game as much as you and understood the mechanics all gave it a positive score, right? What a coincidence.

Yeah, no. Look we do this with every major release, people get upset and start attacking outlets and publications for low review scores, then they say "well i dont care". If you really did not care about their opinion you would not be going on about it

After the first 3 worlds i think any score over a 6 is generous, the game is a mess.
i just had no fun whilst playing, it was almost boring.Sonic colors was fun and almost got 3d sonic back on track, but for once i have to agree with ign this game is a huge step back.
I just hope that nintendo didn't push donkey kong to 2104 thinking that they had both sonic and mario for christmas.

Spinluck

Is it difficult as in, "tough luck bitch", difficult?

Or Sonic Unleashed (I enjoyed daytime Unleashed btw) uber trial and error, too bad you won't fly through this stage on your first try difficult?

One is a design flaw, the other is fine as long as the game preps you accordingly with the pacing and such. Sounds like the difficulty curve may be haywire.

ash_ag

Wow, I've gave Sega so much benefit of doubt in recent years that the way their output on Sonic keeps being of ambiguous quality at best blows my mind. The levels and gameplay we saw looked great, so I have no doubt that the game was conceptually par. At this point I just think that Sonic Team doesn't have what it takes as far as development goes.

TheOGB

Banned
My word, this is very intriguing. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if, between both versions, this game manages to hit every number on the 10-point scale.

Top Bottom