• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

Zafir

I played the first stage and some of the second yesterday, and I don't think the controls were quite that awful.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
in the video review at IGN he keeps complaining about lack of speed, which tbh, isn't exactly a negative to me

I liked the part where he complains about how slow and uncontrollable the single snowball level is, as he guides his fast-moving snowball with precision across narrow winding terrain from one huge boost jump to another huge boost jump.

Into

IGN [Wii U version]: 5.8/10

Wow, or well...actually expected.

Shame they did not just stick with Generations type gameplay, it really worked for them and they could have just made Generations 2. 3D Sonic on Screen, 2D Sonic on your GamePad.

just read the whole thing and a lot of the complaints seem to be 'i am used to playing sonic games this way. the new way is different and i don't like it.'

Most of the sentiment I expected out of some reviews, but that's lower than expected.

Since I'm aware of and glad it's different from Generations (I love Generations, Colors, and generally different ways of playing Sonic), as someone else said "this game is more review-proof for me."

mattx5

Great so now the next game is going to go back to being an on-rails speed-fest if the poor reviews keep up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. Edited in.

i won't begrudge him his taste in sonic games though. he clearly likes what he likes. i like the fast stuff too. before reading the review, i was expecting something entirely different from the three levels i played at e3, but it doesn't seem like it so far.
I'm definitely looking forward to your endgame impressions by comparison because I know you were pretty eager to play the full thing even after you tried it out at E3.

AniHawk

I'm definitely looking forward to your endgame impressions by comparison because I know you were pretty eager to play the full thing even after you tried it out at E3.

it might be like secret rings where it's something of a mixed reception at best that i tend to genuinely like. what really intrigues me is exploring each level to the fullest.

Yagharek

Whether the game itself is good or bad, I dont know since I havent played it.

But I cant figure out why people give any weight to IGN reviews after all this time.

Will be getting the demo and waiting on the eurogamer review.

Paz

Couldn't disagree more with the thoughts of that IGN reviewer about what makes a good Sonic game, but he's probably right that this one is bad. It's like when you user test a game, players are always right about how they feel, but almost never right about why they feel that way.

Sonic Generations did so much right, they just needed to keep pushing in that direction :(

AniHawk

Couldn't disagree more with the thoughts of that IGN reviewer about what makes a good Sonic game, but he's probably right that this one is bad. It's like when you user test a game, players are always right about how they feel, but almost never right about why they feel that way.

Sonic Generations did so much right, they just needed to keep pushing in that direction :(

i think the sequel to generations needed to be a lengthier 2d game. the 3d stuff didn't work nearly as well as the 2d stuff on average.

Seik

Banned
Hmmm...that 5.8 is harsh.

Though he's mostly complaining about lack of speed (No mega boost à la Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but it's true that he just seems a bit slower overall.) which in my case I don't mind that much because speed still seems to be there but at a more moderate level to make more place for platforming/exploration sections. Which I thought was a great idea in Colors but Sonic's controls seemed a bit loose, now they're way more tight in Lost Worlds so these platforming parts are more than welcomed.

It seems to be an experimental, Mario-esque approach at Sonic, but it's the good kind of experimental imo and he's still way faster than Mario.

I don't know what to believe...

Though after IGN's high rated Silent Hill HD... I am not sure they even play the games they review....

:-/

qq more

Only thing that has me realllyyy concerned is the whole losing momentum thing when you jump. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. I really want a demo, Sega pls :(

I don't know what to believe...

Though after IGN's high rated Silent Hill HD... I am not sure they even play the games they review....

:-/

Not every review is by one person.

Rvaisse

About that iGN review , i had the same feelings about the controls... In the first hours of the game, then i get used to it and i had lot of fun.

When he describes the snowball part, i had the same issue.. Til i figure out how it was meant to play.

The game is quite hard and there's almost no handholding..
... Just like The Wonderful 101....
IGN is for babieeesss

Spinluck

As a fan of this franchise, I've grown pretty numb to review scores. Perhaps too numb. It wouldn't make a difference to me if it was a 2.8. Sonic and The Black Knight is one I did avoid however, I just fucking knew that game would be abysmal from the get go. I eventually got to try it, and wasn't surprised by how bad it was.

I did watch and read the review, and it sounds like to me he has his own idea of what a Sonic game should be and refused to learn or accept any new mechanics which is a shame.

That's not to say the game is not legitimately bad, it very well may be (I'll see for myself). But IGN is usually really bad at pointing out why games are bad. Like, "Lack of speed", for example. They didn't really explain why this is bad outside of backing the notion that, SONIC IS SUPPOSED TO GO BLAZING FAST. Which is funny because in his best games, he's not even that fast (in retrospect).

But I cant figure out why people give any weight to IGN reviews after all this time.

Alternatively, I can't figure out why people would give any weight to Eurogamer reviews after one of their writers described the pointer aiming in Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition as "a wobbly, fuzzy experience, compared to the precision of the previous versions of the game" but this thread is supposed to be about the actual reviews of Sonic Lost World and their content, not driveby shots at the publications.

Zen

Banned

Hmm. I've been really concerned about how stiff Sonic seemingly controls and lack of momentum since we started seeing gameplay. I don't think it's speed per say that the reviewer doesn't like (he thinks that's what it is however) but how mechanical Sonic is in conjunction with his non existent inertia and momentum. I suppose level design plays a part, but it's not the core issue, I'd imagine.

If you straight up took the Mario Galaxy physics but made the faster, it would probably feel more like Sonic, Sonic Team hasn't understood the whole momentum concept for YEARS now, and it's biting them in the ass harder than usual with a more complex control setup.

MilkBeard

I'll be surprised what Jim Sterling says, if he reviews this one. He didn't seem to like Colors, but he liked Generations.

I'm going to wait personally until a lot of reviews come in to get a good idea if this is at least a quality offering. It's possible I might have to rent this one before I jump in and buy it. I myself wasn't a huge fan of Colors.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Whether the game itself is good or bad, I dont know since I havent played it.

There is a demo on the eshop?

Yagharek

Alternatively, I can't figure out why people would give any weight to Eurogamer reviews after one of their writers described the pointer aiming in Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition as "a wobbly, fuzzy experience, compared to the precision of the previous versions of the game" but this thread is supposed to be about the actual reviews of Sonic Lost World and their content, not driveby shots at the publications.

It was more a commentary on why people put so much weight on reviews. Off your high horse.

There is a demo on the eshop?

According to nintendo australia its up tonight or tomorrow.

CaVaYeRo

My colleague really liked the Wii U version, really hated the 3DS version though.

Gamereactor Spain:

Sonic Lost World Wii U - 8/10

Despite aforementioned gripes, unimaginable lack of Controller Pro support and forgettable soundtrack, Sonic Lost World manages to keep us sticked to the screen for many hours (around 8 for main story, then tons of extra stuff). A long, hard and entertaining platformer, full of Sonic charm and plenty of humor (those new enemies have something to do with this).

Sonic Lost World 3DS - 5/10

A rushed game with subpar effort and resources for completing the project. Unpolished experience that tries to mimic Wii U's (...), pretty limited in all aspects, short and trying to last longer in the wrong way.

It was more a commentary on why people put so much weight on reviews. Off your high horse.

You didn't say "why do people put so much weight on reviews" (in which case, why are you in the review thread?), you said "that reviewer sucks, you plebes. I'll wait for this one." Waiting to try the demo for yourself is fine, but you can't try and act like you're above reviews while simultaneously giving credit to one.

I'll dismount after you.

Exactly. Look at their Wonderful 101 review and then tell me with a straight face that they are capable of understanding and evaluating any videogame that isn't the usual AAA trash.

MilkBeard

i wonder where the people are now who said this looks better than Super Mario 3D World.

I was originally more interested in this game than 3D World. However, with some of the new screens of that game, it has definitely grown on me. Personally I understand that Sonic games are always going to be flawed but fun experiences. Many of my favorite Sega games are that way.

qq more

My colleague really liked the Wii U version, really hated the 3DS version though.

Gamereactor Spain:

Sonic Lost World Wii U - 8/10

Sonic Lost World 3DS - 5/10

Good scores, except the 3DS version, though I'm not surprised. Dimps seems to forget good game design half of the times when they design a Sonic game... that whole part about trying to make the game lengthy in wrong ways sounds worrying. Senseless padding :/

Nintendo Life

Wii U - 7/10

Sonic Lost World shows flashes of brilliance, where clever design, bright visuals and a daring sense of fun align perfectly. There are a few significant lows, however, and a raft of content that is passable but easily forgotten. That leaves us with an uneven experience that we recommend to keen Sonic fans without hesitation, but suggest that the less committed should think carefully.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/sonic_lost_world

3DS - 5/10

In trying to incorporate 3D environments and ideas from the Wii U title, Dimps has rather tied Sonic's red boots together, causing him to often stumble and fall. Dedicated franchise fans may be able to make a reasonable attempt at gleaning some satisfaction from this one, but for most it will be a distinctly average experience.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/sonic_lost_world

Yagharek

So your commentary on people putting so much weight on reviews is "lol that particular review sucks, I'll wait for this one"? I'll dismount after you.

On IGN reviews. Not reviews in general. I'm not looking at this thread with expectations of a certain score, I'm looking at it with open eyes to see what trustworthy review outlets who write considered opinions and reviews say. Places like Eurogamer, Edge, giantbomb, and not IGN.

You can miss the context all you like, but that's all I was saying.

(in which case, why are you in the review thread?)

See above. For reviews from reputable outlets.

Nibel

EDGE 4

And it’s here that Lost World falls apart. While Mario games spit out 1-Ups with such frequency that you question whether the lives system needs to be there at all, Lost World takes the opposite tack. There might be the odd extra life hidden away in a level, but its stages are so long (the timer frequently ticks down from 15 minutes) and its use of trial and error so extreme that you’ll quickly become closely acquainted with the Game Over screen. Stages are best thought of as four or five levels stitched together. Fail on the fourth or fifth, and you’re sent back to the first. Die once or twice early on in a stage and the most efficient course of action is to lose your remaining lives as quickly as possible.

Reviewer seems like a very frustrated player

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I gotta wait for other reviews because so far all I heard him whining in that vid review heard was him whining about the slower speed then he says the level design is bad...because it won't give me dat speed. The on rails speed section is maybe a valid complaint I guess but sonic always has those moments tbh. Other than that the gameplay looked solid. Gonna wait for other reviews.

Funny thing is:
I don't even own a Wii U yet

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Exactly. Look at their Wonderful 101 review and then tell me with a straight face that they are capable of understanding and evaluating any videogame that isn't the usual AAA trash.

Oh, god. I remembered now the complain about controls for W101. And now this. IGN doesn't know how to play games confirmed.

Actually since most of their Nintendo section left the quality of their Nintendo related articles and reviews dropped dramatically.

EDGE 4

Reviewer seems like a very frustrated player

Wii U confirmed to be a platform for the hardcore players. That is the ones that can play a harder game. lol

Kouriozan

Seems like I'll love this game, based on the few reviews I read.
I'm getting it in a few hours anyway, hope I'll like it.

On IGN reviews. Not reviews in general. I'm not looking at this thread with expectations of a certain score, I'm looking at it with open eyes to see what trustworthy review outlets who write considered opinions and reviews say. Places like Eurogamer, Edge, giantbomb, and not IGN.

You can miss the context all you like, but that's all I was saying.

See above. For reviews from reputable outlets.

How are Eurogamer a reputable outlet worthy of being put above anyone else when they have a history of factual inaccuracies and misrepresentation in their reviews?

Actually, never mind. Don't want to shit this thread up with AusGAF Achievementgate 2.0.

Top Bottom